How Many Wrs In This Draft Are Potentially Better Than Rams Wrs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was just trying to make a point that this draft was so deep in WRs that we could get one that is probably better than almost anyone on our team now. Then I'm getting the 3rd degree on Bailey. And then you pile on. How about thinking about that.
I piled on? How did I do that?
Read it again, max. I said I think too much is made of measureables.
You brought up Bailey first. Am I in the wrong for commenting on something you brought up?

Alan

Legend
max with his list:
I tried to edit the title but this software is weird and it pisses me off.

Tavon aside, cause I consider him more of an all purpose weapon and not a pure WR, I'm thinking there are at least 8 WRs better than Givens, Pettis, Bailey, and Quick.
I noticed you had the good sense not to put Veltung on that list. Good job.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I piled on? How did I do that?
Read it again, max. I said I think too much is made of measureables.
You brought up Bailey first. Am I in the wrong for commenting on something you brought up?

Read it again, X. Start from the beginning of the thread. I was not the first one to highlight Bailey.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I feel the OL is a greater need; when do we expect to be at the top of the draft to grab a guy like Watkins?

I might trade down, but Sammy remains in my crosshairs.

Who says we need to be?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Who says we need to be?

Well... I think of guys like Torry Holt.

He wasn't falling into the teens and twenties.

I realize other studs are found further down. But it's easier at the top to find those guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Read it again, X. Start from the beginning of the thread. I was not the first one to highlight Bailey.
I'll ask you again. How am I piling on? Your introductory post in this thread mentioned Bailey (among others), and the very first thing Bob did was ask how you arrived at your conclusions about him. I was adding onto your thoughts about his ceiling. Would you prefer nobody questioned your thoughts on this? Because I don't think that was your intention. Was it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well... I think of guys like Torry Holt.

He wasn't falling into the teens and twenties.

I realize other studs are found further down. But it's easier at the top to find those guys.

There are two options, CGI.
#1 is trade up and #2 is pick a guy where you are or in a later round.

Tell ya what, if we don't draft a guy like Watkins or Evans this year and we still need a WR next year near draft time, ask me for 2 names that will be available at our pick or later that I(jrry32) believe will be 1000+ yard WRs in the NFL...and I'll give you two(we'll see if I end up being correct). Being 100% serious. :D

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll ask you again. How am I piling on? Your introductory post in this thread mentioned Bailey (among others), and the very first thing Bob did was ask how you arrived at your conclusions about him. I was adding onto your thoughts about his ceiling. Would you prefer nobody questioned your thoughts on this? Because I don't think that was your intention. Was it?

My intention was not to get into a discussion about how good Bailey was going to be. It was to consider the fact that there are a lot of great WR prospects in this draft that would probably be better than almost everyone we have now. I was thinking that even if we didn't get Watkins, there are plenty of other WRs that would be a clear improvement to what we have now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My intention was not to get into a discussion about how good Bailey was going to be. It was to consider the fact that there are a lot of great WR prospects in this draft that would probably be better than almost everyone we have now. I was thinking that even if we didn't get Watkins, there are plenty of other WRs that would be a clear improvement to what we have now.

Maybe, maybe not.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Let's be fair here. We're comparing college WR's facing COLLEGE DB's and safeties. You don't think any WR drafted is going to have the same growing pains almost all WR's face?You know, facing basically the best DB's and safeties they ever faced in college EVERY week.

The Calvin Johnson and AJ Greens of the world don't grow on trees. Brian Quick, IMO is a perfect comparison to Vincent Jackson. Would you take VJ today?
Of course you would. But it took him almost 4 years before he really did anything. Would I take Watkins? In a heartbeat. Does that mean he's going to come in year one and catch 70 balls, 1000 yards and 10 TD's? I wouldn't count on it. Maybe with Peyton Manning and the Bronco's offense but not in most others.

So my answer is yes, there are probably a few in this class that are or will be better than what the we have. But to say they are all better is crazy to me.
We have some pretty good talent whether you believe it or not. And most of them have 3 years or less experience. Patience..

Alan

Legend
Before we go jumping on max I'd just like to point out that the title of this thread has the word potential in it. So there's potential on both sides. Our WRs and the WRs on his list.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
All the talk about Watkins and Evans and not Lee is interesting. Lee I believe is a much better pick than Evans but I guess we will have to wait and see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All the talk about Watkins and Evans and not Lee is interesting. Lee I believe is a much better pick than Evans but I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm not enamored with Lee. Don't see a special player.

…..

Legend
I dont think any of the recievers in the draft are better than any Ram recievers.

They're college kids still ...have way too much to learn before we compare them to pros.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But how do you arrive at that conclusion without quantifying or qualifying anything? Detroit, for example, made a living out of drafting receivers in the first round that were supposed to be clear improvements over what they already had. And it cost their GM a job. Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams - first round picks by them in consecutive drafts (#2, 7 and 10th overall respectively). It wasn't until they had #2 overall and the best receiver sitting there in any draft that they finally got it right. Is there a Calvin Johnson in this draft?

I understand what the premise of your thread was, but it's open to discussion is it not? If the Rams don't take one in the first round, then I'd say your assertion becomes exponentially less likely. For example. The following guys were drafted in the first round too. Not a lot of sure things there after the fact.

Donte Stallworth
Ashley Lelie
Javon Walker
Charles Rogers
Andre Johnson
Bryant Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Reggie Williams
Lee Evans
Michael Clayton
Michael Jenkins