How Do You Like Dan Campbell Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I'm on the fence on criticizing Campbell's decisions the pass on FGAs of 45 and 48 yards.

Thought FGAs were the way to go but the decisions to go-for-it were consistent with his past approach.

On Nate Atkins' X comment above, ESPN reported several times this morning that Campbell and Detroit were 20-of-25 on 4th and 3rd or shorter attempts, which is a success rate of an impressive 80%.

As far as Badgley, there was a graphic put-up a couple weeks ago reflecting his struggles from beyond-50. Couple seconds later, he drilled a 54-yard-FG ... against the Rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm on the fence on criticizing Campbell's decisions the pass on FGAs of 45 and 48 yards.

Thought FGAs were the way to go but the decisions to go-for-it were consistent with his past approach.

On Nate Atkins' X comment above, ESPN reported several times this morning that Campbell and Detroit were 20-of-25 on 4th and 3rd or shorter attempts, which is a success rate of an impressive 80%.

As far as Badgley, there was a graphic put-up a couple weeks ago reflecting his struggles from beyond-50. Couple seconds later, he drilled a 54-yard-FG ... against the Rams.
Yup.
Decent amount of stats to use to make a decision.

Ellard80

Legend

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
No, I don’t assume he’d miss. At all. I’m saying it’s possible.
And, disagree… there are different perspectives on whether it was the right thing to do.
The analytics crowd totally backs it.. the traditional crowd doesn’t. Both have reasons.

Pinning the game on that decision is waaaaaay reductive to me.
It played a huge part but there are definitely other factors. At the end of the day, the Lions blew a golden opportunity.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I turned the game off after the Immaculate Reception II. The comeback was imminent after what should have been a 3 score game became a 1 score game. It wasn't my Rams, and I wasn't about to watch the evil empire achieve glory on a worknight.

I love Campbell's aggressive style, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 49ers were down 17 and settled for a field goal. One coach knew every point and possession mattered. The other coach forfeited his strangle hold and advantage hell bent on winning "his way". Anything can happen in football game. Sometimes it's better to win a game ugly than showboat.

I still think the dude is a hell of a coach. Just not a coach who could squash our arch rivals. And now losing his OC, it's going to be tough to get back to the dance. We'll see how they respond next year. I doubt Detroit has the drawing power to real in coaching talent like Southern California and Sean McVay.

Definitely won't be pulling for the Lions on the side anymore.

MONOGOMY.BABY.
Go Rams.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Good find... but looking at the drive charts

Would have been 45 and 47 yard FGS

Badge had one tough year in 2020 where he was 8-13 from 40-49... but outside of that he is around 82% from 40-49

Neither kick was 48 yard plus.

Not so clear cut based on numbers and again I'm not heavily criticizing Campbell either.
Badgley drilled a 54-yard-FG against our Rams two weeks ago.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The dudes an idiot who doesn't learn from his mistakes. I bet everything I own he will do the exact same thing going forward.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I get the analytics part of the decision, but I think taking either one of those FG opportunities and making it would have done a little to blunt the momentum the 49ers were building at those points in the game. Both of them obviously do even more to blunt the 49ers momentum. Missing on either one had the reverse effect of giving momentum to the 49ers, both of them gave even more.

At that point in the game, it's basically a zero sum game as far as momentum goes - either you are going to move the needle in your favor or in the opponents favor. Blowing both of those opportunities moved it in the 49ers favor, significantly.

Sometimes you've got to play the numbers, but sometimes (and yesterday was one such time) you've got to throw out the numbers and go with the flow of the game. Campbell should have went with the flow instead of the numbers yesterday.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I get the analytics part of the decision, but I think taking either one of those FG opportunities and making it would have done a little to blunt the momentum the 49ers were building at those points in the game. Both of them obviously do even more to blunt the 49ers momentum. Missing on either one had the reverse effect of giving momentum to the 49ers, both of them gave even more.

At that point in the game, it's basically a zero sum game as far as momentum goes - either you are going to move the needle in your favor or in the opponents favor. Blowing both of those opportunities moved it in the 49ers favor, significantly.

Sometimes you've got to play the numbers, but sometimes (and yesterday was one such time) you've got to throw out the numbers and go with the flow of the game. Campbell should have went with the flow instead of the numbers yesterday.
What if your perception of the flow was that a TD ended the game?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What if your perception of the flow was that a TD ended the game?

Well, I can see that side of the argument too.

Let's put it this way - I see the analytics side, and I see the side that I expressed in the post you are responding too.

I'm leaning toward my side, 60-40, if that makes sense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, I can see that side of the argument too.

Let's put it this way - I see the analytics side, and I see the side that I expressed in the post you are responding too.

I'm leaning toward my side, 60-40, if that makes sense.
I totally get it.

My issue is with all the piling on Campbell and calling him a dumbass.

He’s not.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I totally get it.

He’s not.

I don't think so either, and as I've said elsewhere, you cannot overestimate the impact he's had in changing the culture on that team. Hell, if they had that kind of culture when Stafford was there, he would have never asked to be traded. Instead it was all dysfunction junction and now they at least feel like they can win any game, even in the playoffs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
FUCK YOU, DAN! YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB. ONE. MOTHER. FUCKING. JOB. BEAT THE FUCKING 69ERS, AND YOU COULDN'T EVEN DO THAT!

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I totally get it.

He’s not.
He's not a dumbass. But he was "being" a dumbass in that 2nd half.

Replace 'dumbass' with 'bitch' and I swear I've used this same defense with my wife. She is not a bitch btw, but she can be one sometimes (generally a byproduct of my being a dumbass).

Shit, I've changed my own mind about Dan Campbell after trying to pen down some comedic satire. He's not a dumbass. His players weren't executing. Dan Campbell was simply being a bitch. His players were being dumbasses.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So.. that’s baked into the stats.
They made 4th and that distance at a higher percentage.

And that kick was indoors.
Ahhh ... you're 'Baked into the Stats'

I understand.
Have posted a couple times that I am on-the-fence on any criticism of Campbell regarding his decisions yesterday. Mostly still frustrated that a place-kicker who is not that good beyond fifty drilled a 54-yarder against the Rams in a one-point loss. Still not quite over that game.