How Do You Like Dan Campbell Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sorry. I missed where Campbell dropped the pass on 4th down, dropped multiple passes, allowed a freak completion by Purdy, fumbled the ball, couldn't down a monster punt at the 1 and couldn't tackle for sh*t.

I think you can honestly quibble about the 4th down call but I don't think it's the end of the world. It's a huge part of their offensive philosophy and got them to the game (their play sequencing often includes 4 downs for offensive plays).

People are awfully anxious about it though.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I thought it was stupid to shit on him after his knee biting comment.

I thought it was stupid to shit on him when his team wasn't immediately good.

I thought it was stupid to worship him as his team began to play well and even dominate a bit on offense.

And I think it's stupid to shit on him now when he learned some tough lessons in an NFC Championship game. Truth is he's a good head coach that has a lot of ego and a lot to learn. Also truth is he's not our problem, unless you're someone who secretly wears a Goff powder blue jersey on game days.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That team got farther, faster than anyone expected.. and people are absolutely BANGING on a coach that did a hell of a job. I'm not a Campbell fan, but I don't get it. I mean, coaches make mistakes. Were his worse than McVay punting on the Rams last possession in Detroit? I don't think so... and I sure as hell don't think McVay is dumb.
You do not get these opportunities often and IMO after the 49ers kicked a FG to make it 24-10, the Lions had their opportunity to make it 27-10 making the 49ers FG a wash. However, going for it and being stopped is like a turnover.

It was a very makeable FG and the momentum would have been the same, but being stopped gave the 49ers hope and they went down and scored 7 and now were within a touchdown. Sorry, playing the pros & cons plus you know your defense is not elite, so when given the opportunity keep scoring points. I might of understood going for it, if the 49ers had scored 7 on their initial drive of the 2nd half, however, they kicked the FG and you had an easy chance to match it.

Plus everyone blames Reynolds for the drop and he should have caught it, however, the pass was off from Goff because Goff was under pressure, so it was not right in the breadbasket like the second one Reynolds dropped. Again on the road, you were up by 17 points at half time, now you have a chance to keep that 17 point lead and make their FG inconsequential, but all you did was give the team hope and because of that, you and your fans go back to Detroit to endure a cold harsh winter.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You do not get these opportunities often and IMO after the 49ers kicked a FG to make it 24-10, the Lions had their opportunity to make it 27-10 making the 49ers FG a wash. However, going for it and being stopped is like a turnover.

It was a very makeable FG and the momentum would have been the same, but being stopped gave the 49ers hope and they went down and scored 7 and now were within a touchdown. Sorry, playing the pros & cons plus you know your defense is not elite, so when given the opportunity keep scoring points. I might of understood going for it, if the 49ers had scored 7 on their initial drive of the 2nd half, however, they kicked the FG and you had an easy chance to match it.

Plus everyone blames Reynolds for the drop and he should have caught it, however, the pass was off from Goff because Goff was under pressure, so it was not right in the breadbasket like the second one Reynolds dropped. Again on the road, you were up by 17 points at half time, now you have a chance to keep that 17 point lead and make their FG inconsequential, but all you did was awaken a sleeping giant.
My point is that you're putting the entire game on those two plays. Those alone absolutely did not cost them the game. Gibbs fumble alone was more devastating. An actual turnover deep in their own territory.

This is who the team is.. and I don't have any problem with that. I mean.. how would we be feeling right now if McVay had played the last 3rd down as if he were going for it on 4th and created an easier 4th down situation?

Reynolds should have caught it. Come on.

I've pointed to multiple plays that the Lions could've made and did not..whereas the 9ers did make their plays. The third down one-handed catch is a good example. Williams let a TD go right through his hands.. I remember Cooks making a catch on a similar throw.. there was at least one other through the hands drop. Two Ints missed.. the fumble.. the 2 Reynolds drops. There was a lot.

Players won and lost the game, not the coach.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Meltdowns happen. Football happens. Momentum happens.

What makes that meltdown a complete choke job is the Lions are built to be a team that can hold a lead.

Control the LOS, control the clock and TOP, wear down a defense with the superior OL and run game, make the safe, high percentage pass on 3rd down etc.

It was a fundamental collapse.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Players won and lost the game, not the coach.
You make excellent points, but I would have taken the points especially in the 3rd quarter after the 49ers had just kicked a FG. You match them and you win, it is that easy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You make excellent points, but I would have taken the points especially in the 3rd quarter after the 49ers had just kicked a FG. You match them and you win, it is that easy.
I hear you.
But I just don’t think it’s that straightforward.

Kickers miss… a score changes the 9ers approach.. etc, etc.

Sure, they might have.

And I haven’t even gone down the.. “if they get a TD after the converted 4th.. it’s game-over” road.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@den-the-coach

Going for it on 4th down and getting stopped IS A TURNOVER and it is recorded as such.

Not taking a shot at 2 very makeable field goals on the road in the playoffs when you are in the lead is completely stupid. Situational awareness should always override analytics. That was buffoonery times 2.

I see teams going for 2 nowadays when it is not needed and end up losing by 1 point later. You should only go for 2 if it is your only option to tie the game at the very end. These analytic nerds now go for 2 way too much instead of using real football Situational Awareness. Stupid.

Ellard80

Legend
I generally support going for it on 4th in many situations.

However I do think there is a strong argument that you take the chance to go up 17 in the 2nd half.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
@den-the-coach

Going for it on 4th down and getting stopped IS A TURNOVER and it is recorded as such.

Not taking a shot at 2 very makeable field goals on the road in the playoffs when you are in the lead is completely stupid. Situational awareness should always override analytics. That was buffoonery times 2.

I see teams going for 2 nowadays when it is not needed and end up losing by 1 point later. You should only go for 2 if it is your only option to tie the game at the very end. These analytic nerds now go for 2 way too much instead of using real football Situational Awareness. Stupid.
You mean like you have to pass on 3rd & 12?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Lions fans will say his aggressiveness is what got them to the NFCCG to begin with
Right, you see the logical flaw there. The premise is they are right to trust Campbell's decisions because in the past they worked well enough in the past so doing them in the NFCCG is fine - i.e. this strategy worked in the past.

Someone could counter, as you did, that just because it worked in the past means doing it under these circumstances does not make it the right thing to do. That these circumstances are more dire and maybe changing strategy might be a smart thing to do.

There is probably a name for that fallacy but I don't know what it is, someone here will know it.

You could also go with the fallacy -- aggressiveness alone is what got them there. --- that may be a single cause fallacy

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I completely get going for it if you have a kicker like we've had all year, but, Badgley hasn't missed at all for the Lions since he was acquired before the 12/16 game. When you are playing an elite defense and explosive offense like the shitters have, I think you have to take the money in the bank points. What would the Lions give for those 6 points now?

Ultimately, if Reynolds wasn't utterly awful that game, they win it anyway. That was unacceptable for an NFL WR. My guess is he is playing elsewhere next season, if at all (he is a UFA BTW).

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
My biggest problem with the discourse is that people equate being "manly" to going for it on 4th down.

And all coaches have confidence in what they do.. it's how they got there.

It's times like this that people like to pick one strand of DNA out of a coach and leave the rest... they also like to pin all the blame for a loss on the thing they don't like.

Those plays may or may not have made the difference in the game... but it's real comfortable to make the assumption they would've hit both of them and the Lions would've what.. tied the game?

Who knows what happens after those plays and how they might have changed the game?

That team got farther, faster than anyone expected.. and people are absolutely BANGING on a coach that did a hell of a job. I'm not a Campbell fan, but I don't get it. I mean, coaches make mistakes. Were his worse than McVay punting on the Rams last possession in Detroit? I don't think so... and I sure as hell don't think McVay is dumb.
In the NFC championship game, Campbell is a dumb ass, no other way to put it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well… situation dictated a pass, no?
Or did the success of the play make you okay with it?
Because if they got stuffed?

“What are they doing it running there!!!”

Players made the difference yesterday.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well… situation dictated a pass, no?
Or did the success of the play make you okay with it?
Because if they got stuffed?

“What are they doing it running there!!!”

Players made the difference yesterday.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Nothing whatsoever.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
lol…

Sure.
Just so you know, I do agree that there were other plays like Reynolds drops and Gibbs fumble that also played crucial roles. Unfortunately, that mixed in with Campbell's dumbass decisions cost the Lions a trip to the Super Bowl

Ellard80

Legend
I don't think he is a dumbass at all.

TBH it also could have been a perfect call against the defense on the field and the players fucked it up.

I think he should have kicked the FG to go up 17 - but that's assuming the kicker makes it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Nothing whatsoever.
It has to do with how perception is molded by success and failure.

Reynolds makes the catch & they go on to score a TD?? Crickets.