Hekker / trade block / Renegotiated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got a bad feeling Hekker is done. Hope I'm wrong, but McVay not endorsing him speaks volumes to me.
I think that'll prove to be another special teams mistake. As I said, I don't think Hekker has lost it. He dialed it back over the second half of last year to protect our pathetic coverage unit. Bojorquez has a monster leg, but he doesn't have Hek's precision.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, a big part of a punter's Avg distance is a function of how much space they have available.

If the team stalls on the 50 yard line, it's a really good job to have a net 40 yard punt, but that average would suck.

If a team goes 3 and out from the 30, well, the punter has a LOT more room to really let one go still get it down inside the 20.

The Rams had lots of drives where they found a way to go 25 yards in 4 or 5 minutes and then had to punt only for Hekker to pull up and not really focus on pinning them back because he was more focused on preventing a return than being aggressive.

What fixes Hekker is the coverage unit, not having a less accurate punter with a big leg.

I'm convinced that moving Hekker is a mistake and that it's likely to happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hope he goes to be honest. Not worth what his salary cap #.
Imo - just locker room change.Dallas is the perfect place for him.Even the Hags or Detroit.

Maybe he is a HOF punter? Donnie Jones was a All-Pro punter.

Chris Massey - Josh Brown - Donnie Jones we’re like The Rams All-Pro’s the joke use to be.

Jacob Mcquade came in for Spags last season as a rookie.The Following year with Fisher came Les Snead who was assigned to bring in a New Punter & Kicker.I’m not sure if Bones was on Spags squad because of the NY(NJ) connection with Fassel?

Greg the Leg gets drafted in Sneads first season as GM & then immediately signs Hekker as a UDRFA because the Punting Job was his.He has been here as long as Les & an example of why Mcvay can sign a
AJ Jackson in his preseason Philosophy.

Ask Josh Brown about being called blooded.I thought change was good back then.

As far as Punters go though Johnny Hekker still has a ling ways to go to catch this guy ?

Believe it or not I was a Nick Foles & Case Keenum guy. Thought why trade for a QB. Ask me about Jared Goff & Wolford last season? How about the trade ?

I think no player is above the team. It’s always been about WE not Me.I believe in Sean Mcvay as a HC. He IMO has done some excellent things as a HC. The Rams Organization is Top Notch.
As far as Hekker he can hold my balls. Ask Gay how he feels about it? I am not sure about there relationship.Just glad he did not get hurt against the raiders.The guy that was holding the kicks for Gay got cut.
Replacing Greg the Leg was a tough one to watch last season.

Matt Gay & Cory Borjorquez &
Matthew Orzech work for me.

These guys are new Rams & I like this group with a New Special Teams coach. #42 & #8 looked good together.Thought Gay hit the deck one time and scary ? Saw Orzech just pancake a raider.Got up under him with a clean block.Enjoyed it!! Nice hit !

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that'll prove to be another special teams mistake. As I said, I don't think Hekker has lost it. He dialed it back over the second half of last year to protect our pathetic coverage unit. Bojorquez has a monster leg, but he doesn't have Hek's precision.

Yeah, but now your discounting the coverage team. Sometimes it’s better to put pressure on the PR guy & cause a turnover. There are always to ways to skin a Cat. I’m cheering for TEAM first. We not ME. That concept seems to be working.
Either way it is a RAMS Franchise decision like McSnead have said.If they had or have a trade in progress then that’s it’s own thing.
Corey Borjorquez was cut By the Way.
The Rams are not going to play around with there Special Teams Unit like that FREAKING D—B announcer says.Just go for it on 4th down every time.
Matt Gay almost got hurt punting & hasn’t done so like in 8th grade ?
His 42 yard punt though was good enough for me. —Nice coverage,but players are trying to make The Roster.

Special teams is important,so that 5 yards at the 15 instead of the 8 doesn’t mean Jack to me.
We’ll see,but I’m done with Hekker with Bones & The Leg.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Also, a big part of a punter's Avg distance is a function of how much space they have available.

If the team stalls on the 50 yard line, it's a really good job to have a net 40 yard punt, but that average would suck.

If a team goes 3 and out from the 30, well, the punter has a LOT more room to really let one go still get it down inside the 20.

The Rams had lots of drives where they found a way to go 25 yards in 4 or 5 minutes and then had to punt only for Hekker to pull up and not really focus on pinning them back because he was more focused on preventing a return than being aggressive.

What fixes Hekker is the coverage unit, not having a less accurate punter with a big leg.

I'm convinced that moving Hekker is a mistake and that it's likely to happen.

Have you seen how McvY is not afraid to go for it on 4th down outside FG range ? Actually can’t wait for Johnny Hekker to move on. Was always more of a Donnie Jones Fan. Wasn’t he in Whitworth’s class at LSU ? Maybe they got into the HOF together?
Ray Guy was the best.The Raiders draft his replacement. Do you really draft punters Al Davies ?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If they are in fact moving Hekker, its gotta be for cap savings. Bojorquez might not be as good overall, but how much value do teams put in punters? As long as they can kick it the average NFL distance and have a good coverage unit, I don't expect losing him to be a big mistake. We liked him because he's the longest tenured Ram and he's got a personality. But if the coverage unit can improve then I expect we'll be fine at the punting position.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Have you seen how McvY is not afraid to go for it on 4th down outside FG range ? Actually can’t wait for Johnny Hekker to move on. Was always more of a Donnie Jones Fan. Wasn’t he in Whitworth’s class at LSU ? Maybe they got into the HOF together?
Ray Guy was the best.The Raiders draft his replacement. Do you really draft punters Al Davies ?
We're all entitled to our opinions. Mine in the polar opposite. Even if a player is past his prime--like Robert Quinn was, I'll never be glad to see them go. Also, you keep saying "we not me". The "we" gets worse letting a weapon like Hekker walk. And "we" the fans will have to watch yet another hall of famer light it up, retiring with a different team. I will be angry and sad if he's cut or traded.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah, but now your discounting the coverage team. Sometimes it’s better to put pressure on the PR guy & cause a turnover. There are always to ways to skin a Cat. I’m cheering for TEAM first. We not ME. That concept seems to be working.
Either way it is a RAMS Franchise decision like McSnead have said.If they had or have a trade in progress then that’s it’s own thing.
Corey Borjorquez was cut By the Way.
The Rams are not going to play around with there Special Teams Unit like that FREAKING D—B announcer says.Just go for it on 4th down every time.
Matt Gay almost got hurt punting & hasn’t done so like in 8th grade ?
His 42 yard punt though was good enough for me. —Nice coverage,but players are trying to make The Roster.

Special teams is important,so that 5 yards at the 15 instead of the 8 doesn’t mean Jack to me.
We’ll see,but I’m done with Hekker with Bones & The Leg.
Coverage was pitiful last year, no one has to discount their performance they did that themselves hence a new coach.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My counter to the coverage units being bad as an excuse for Hekker is.....wouldn't that mean he was going for more hang time? Because I saw way too many short line drives, which is the worst thing for a bad coverage unit

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hoping our gunners are better too this year. So far this preseason they have not looked great. Poor positioning. No ball awareness. That stuff is coachable but needed to pin teams deep consistently along with the punter.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
His ability to throw has to be considered though. It's a real weapon... the other team has to be prepared for it because they know it could happen at any time. That threat probably provides Hek a second or so more time to get the punt off just because the return team has to be sure. The return team will also be forced to align their formation in certain ways because of it. That means we are dictating the play.

Also... Hek is a fantastic holder for our FGs and XP attempts. That has real value... see Tony Romo. But having a holder who can also throw a pass can allow us to dictate things on these attempts too. That's why the cowgirls risked putting their QB in as their holder back then.

Fisher's most beloved offensive plays were fakes. The problem is... those were actually Special Teams plays. Fisher couldn't differentiate between the two. We got used to seeing it basically on the regular back then... We used it too much. But Hek still provides us with the threat of it and just the threat provides us with a real weapon too.
Wow!
Look at you, giving love to kicker!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'll be sad to see Hekker go, if that's how it plays out. He's a great Ram, in my opinion, and I'll always have love for that guy.
That being said, if they decide it's best for the team to move him, it would be fantastic if they could get anything back.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If he's gone, I say thanks for all the memories. Sad to always see, but nothing lasts forever. Hek sure did his thing while here and that's all we could have asked for. Would love for us to have gotten a SB ring for him if he's gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just noticed Hekker is not listed on the Rams roster at pro football reference.

And… his individual pro football reference page he doesn’t have a team listed. If he’s on IR, he should still have a team listed, right?

D9F7E6E6-A821-4AE9-9F43-DB4F32E6D84B.png

501325A1-BDB8-40B6-8ED7-F25D2258B415.png

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I can live it with if the Rams need the cap space - but to be clear - we are talking about the best punter the Rams have ever had and one of the best that I can think of in league history when the entire body of work is considered. Im talking - retire his number kind of greatness. For quite a while the only player we had who was better at his job than Hekker was AD99. If this is end for him here - he should be celebrated.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If it means keeping a FA like Corbett and or Noteboom next yr, who you otherwise may not had quite enough cap room for, then it's worth it.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
If it means keeping a FA like Corbett and or Noteboom next yr, who you otherwise may not had quite enough cap room for, then it's worth it.
The Goff and Gurley dead cap comes off the books next year so we should have more money to spend.

RamsOfCastamere

A "down year" for Hekker doesn't mean he was god awful. His net avg is in the middle of the pack but he still has accuracy - he was 3rd in punts inside the 20 last year.

Corey was 1st in avg, but he was tied for 19th for punts inside the 20 and tied for first for the most touchbacks. So he just boots it out the back.

I'd rather keep the guys that pins them deep, our guy Hekker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A "down year" for Hekker doesn't mean he was god awful. His net avg is in the middle of the pack but he still has accuracy - he was 3rd in punts inside the 20 last year.

Corey was 1st in avg, but he was tied for 19th for punts inside the 20 and tied for first for the most touchbacks. So he just boots it out the back.

I'd rather keep the guys that pins them deep, our guy Hekker.
Just blanket inside the 20 numbers don't tell the whole picture though either. Did Corey have as many opportunities, what kind of kick was called for etc etc etc. There is unknown context to these numbers on both sides of the story. It was funny though after an off season of the narrative of trust in McVay and Snead so many are having a hard time doing that at the possibility of Hekker being dealt, and that's all this is right now a possibility.

RamsOfCastamere

Just blanket inside the 20 numbers don't tell the whole picture though either. Did Corey have as many opportunities, what kind of kick was called for etc etc etc. There is unknown context to these numbers on both sides of the story. It was funny though after an off season of the narrative of trust in McVay and Snead so many are having a hard time doing that at the possibility of Hekker being dealt, and that's all this is right now a possibility.
McVay and Snead have not dealt or cut Hekker yet, so we can debate if we want to keep him all we want. Also, they aren't perfect as well. They admitted that a mistake was made with Sam Ficken last year.

Also, he punted the ball 41 times last year compared to Johnny's 68, and still had more touchback backs. He had enough opportunities to pin them inside the 20.