Hekker / trade block / Renegotiated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please forgive me for linking to a Cowboys site, but these fans seem to like their punter and see no reason for any interest in Hekker.
Other than the fact he's almost 2 years older than Hekker, I cant see how Hekker's an upgrade there, much less costing 4X more $$$$

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Other than the fact he's almost 2 years older than Hekker, I cant see how Hekker's an upgrade there, much less costing 4X more $$$$
Didn't realize their guy was older.. so maybe Hekker re-negotiates his deal to something more palatable for them. Of course then why wouldn't he do it here if that was possible.

Ram65

Legend
I've been on Hekker's case the past couple plus years. Granted the Rams haven't helped him with very poor coverage units. I don't know maybe he just needs a wake-up call. I want the Hekker from 3 seasons ago.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It means you're statistically less likely to score points.
Just wondering if this is what your looking for.

1630203552303.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A 70 yard punt , 3 punts inside the 20.
One of them at the 1 yard line.

mid anyone is keeping stats.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just wondering if this is what your looking for.

View attachment 47577
In his career, Bojorquez's I20 to TB ratio is 4.11 to 1. Hekker's is 7.42 to 1. And if we look solely at last year, Bojorquez's ratio was 2.57 to 1 versus Hekker's 5.6 to 1. Simply put, Bojorquez doesn't have Hekker's precision. The guy has a monster leg, but you are making trade offs for that. Frankly, the Bills could have kept Bojorquez, but they chose Matt Haack instead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been on Hekker's case the past couple plus years. Granted the Rams haven't helped him with very poor coverage units. I don't know maybe he just needs a wake-up call. I want the Hekker from 3 seasons ago.
That seems a bit unfair lol. Hekker was a top 10 Punter in 2019 and arguably #1 in the NFL in 2018. His numbers in 2020 were well below his normal year, but I've introduced evidence that backs up my assertion that Hekker was intentionally not booming the ball as far as normal to protect our terrible special teams unit in the second half of 2020. I'll just say that the Rams need to be careful with how they try to pinch pennies.

Ram65

Legend
That seems a bit unfair lol. Hekker was a top 10 Punter in 2019 and arguably #1 in the NFL in 2018. His numbers in 2020 were well below his normal year, but I've introduced evidence that backs up my assertion that Hekker was intentionally not booming the ball as far as normal to protect our terrible special teams unit in the second half of 2020. I'll just say that the Rams need to be careful with how they try to pinch pennies.
Last year he did have a number of line-drive punts and more touchbacks. He left some yards on the table with a lot of punts just inside the 20 when he the leg to get more. He also had some bad punts when the Rams need a good punt. I guess the last two years to me haven't been up to his great standards. Yes in 2018 he was the best punter. I didn't say get rid of him but, he does get paid the big bucks. I also mentioned poor coverage teams but, that means he should get more hangtime. As I stated a little wake call can help.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year he did have a number of line-drive punts and more touchbacks. He left some yards on the table with a lot of punts just inside the 20 when he the leg to get more. He also had some bad punts when the Rams need a good punt. I guess the last two years to me haven't been up to his great standards. Yes in 2018 he was the best punter. I didn't say get rid of him but, he does get paid the big bucks. I also mentioned poor coverage teams but, that means he should get more hangtime. As I stated a little wake call can help.
Last year, his yards per punt average over the first eight games was on par with the rest of his career. Unfortunately, our punt coverage was not. Over the second half of the year (starting after the Miami game where Grant had the long return TD), his yards per punt average dropped by about 3.5 yards. I don't think Hekker suddenly wasn't the same guy after Miami. I think he tried to kick shorter punts to avoid our coverage unit's deficiencies.

Hell, look at the Grant PR TD from last year. It was an absolutely gorgeous punt by Hekker. It was a 60-yard boot with around five seconds of hang time. That's a f'ing phenomenal punt. And look at how embarrassingly bad the coverage unit is:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fylgpuJBY

Tano

Legend
I think trying to kick it shorter also messed up his hang time too.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In his career, Bojorquez's I20 to TB ratio is 4.11 to 1. Hekker's is 7.42 to 1. And if we look solely at last year, Bojorquez's ratio was 2.57 to 1 versus Hekker's 5.6 to 1. Simply put, Bojorquez doesn't have Hekker's precision. The guy has a monster leg, but you are making trade offs for that. Frankly, the Bills could have kept Bojorquez, but they chose Matt Haack instead.
If you read that article where they interviewed him a week or so ago, he did mention he decided to sign here so he could learn from Hekker. Very smart when you think of it. He mentioned whether it's here or not, he knows he will kick for someone this yr. Then mentioned the diff types of punt's he has learned from Hekker.

So no reason to think he won't improve. Also ironic if Hekker's pupil ends up taking his job.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Please forgive me for linking to a Cowboys site, but these fans seem to like their punter and see no reason for any interest in Hekker.

Haha those Dallas fans. They are special.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you read that article where they interviewed him a week or so ago, he did mention he decided to sign here so he could learn from Hekker. Very smart when you think of it. He mentioned whether it's here or not, he knows he will kick for someone this yr. Then mentioned the diff types of punt's he has learned from Hekker.

So no reason to think he won't improve. Also ironic if Hekker's pupil ends up taking his job.
He may improve, and I think another team would sign him if we cut him. But man, I feel like pinching pennies on special teams blew up in our face last year. I'd hate to see that happen again.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think this move will be about pinching pennies. I think that's just part of it. It's also age and getting younger. And the fact that they're pretty closely matched in terms of production.

So cheaper, younger, and they're pretty close. Only prob here is Hekk's a Hall of Famer we all love. Even though I understand it it's tough.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't think this move will be about pinching pennies. I think that's just part of it. It's also age and getting younger. And the fact that they're pretty closely matched in terms of production.

So cheaper, younger, and they're pretty close. Only prob here is Hekk's a Hall of Famer we all love. Even though I understand it it's tough.
I believe if they trade him this yr, they won't have any dead money next yr. So they likely save all of his cap number ($4.6M) next yr even if this yrs savings is offset with some dead money. So with what can be carried over from this yr, next yr your looking at around $6M in cap savings. That is very significant.

oldnotdead

Legend
I have always felt since he arrived it was Bojorquez's job to lose and he sealed the deal tonight. Yeah base case is for the Rams to trade Hekker to the AFC but it's probably going to be Dallas. If they get a 6th round pick it will get back the one that they used for Michel making it just a 4th round pick for a proven starter level RB.