Hekker / trade block / Renegotiated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wouldn't be shocked if Bojorquez is the one traded after tonight. Hekker's salary makes him a hard trade for other teams but I could see a team sending us a pick for Boj.

Best case scenario would still prob be trading Hekker.

Worst case is we end up cutting one of them and get nothing.

I'd take the trade Boj scenario though.

*Being in Covid protocol prob doesn't help any trade talks either.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Based on Snead's tone... and how McVay was high fiving Bojorquez... my guess is they are looking to trade Hekker.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bojorquez with more touchbacks on 41 punts than Hekker with 68? That's a really concerning stat.

One could make an argument that the ability to pin the opponent inside the 20 is the most important ability a punter can have. Especially pinning inside the 10, that can change the whole flow of the game. And Hekker is amazing at that.
McVay seems to favor playing it safe on special teams. Its one way to guarantee not getting burned by a long return. He also preferred returners to not run out of the end zone or just fair catch punts. Its as if he regards special teams as a nuisance that he'd rather not deal with, or risk injuring a player.

I wish he had a more adventurous take on Special teams. He'd make prime Devin Hester fair catch or kneel on most of his return opportunities.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on Snead's tone... and how McVay was high fiving Bojorquez... my guess is they are looking to trade Hekker.
The post-game conference certainly sounded like Hekker was gone

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really sucks when a guy is great enough at a non-glory position like being a punter and you earn a great contract and that makes you vulnerable.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In the end I don't give a fuck who the punter is for the Rams. Hekker was gold for shit offenses like fisher was fond of but Mcvay with Stafford doesn't need a $10m punter.

As long as they have someone on the team that can hold the ball properly for the fg attempts the Rams will be good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to ignore that Bojorquez is 24, Hekker is 31.

For that reason alone, the decision gets tougher.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Does Bojorquez, being left footed, give him an advantage as well?

Interesting the Patriots connection to this theory, being the Rams model a fair bit after them… aka Patriot Way.

punts.png

Bill Belichick has used left-footed punters almost exclusively during his Patriots tenure. He would have you believe ‘nothing to see here,’ but the number of lefty punters in the NFL keeps growing. Is it the troublesome spin, or is something else at work?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think this move will be about pinching pennies. I think that's just part of it. It's also age and getting younger. And the fact that they're pretty closely matched in terms of production.

So cheaper, younger, and they're pretty close. Only prob here is Hekk's a Hall of Famer we all love. Even though I understand it it's tough.
Well said Merlin!! Here is an interview last night. Johnny Hekker has been a first class guy & a Face of The Rams Franchise. —Giving back for the good of the game & Rams team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It really sucks when a guy is great enough at a non-glory position like being a punter and you earn a great contract and that makes you vulnerable.
It’s not the contract. Sorry- it’s called the future. You know that from your background. I’m sure you’ve hated change. The Rams are always pushing each other to get better.
-Last night was pretty awesome from a team concept of what this organization is bringing to The NFL.
—Hate to see a bunch of these guys on the roster get picked up from other teams.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Please don't trade away my Oregon boy.

Seriously though. From reports I saw, our other punter hasn't looked good in preseason. And I also suspect Jonny could outkick coverage any time he wants but is the best at getting it inside the 20 with no return.
Yeah, I love Johnny as well, but he WAS a Beav, so he's only a step child in my mind. :LOL: :cool: ;)
Last year, he wasn't nearly as accurate with his sidelines "corner shots" as he's been in the past. He may still have the distance, though.
I just recall him not being the same kicker as he was previously.
He's a QB threat as a holder too. But then, could Wolford add some excitement to that position if he's needed to replace Hekker there?
Bojo did some of the place kicker holding in Denver last night, I read. He also had a good punting game last night
Options are on the table ..........

Psycho_X

Legend

Interesting the Patriots connection to this theory, being the Rams model a fair bit after them… aka Patriot Way.

punts.png

Bill Belichick has used left-footed punters almost exclusively during his Patriots tenure. He would have you believe ‘nothing to see here,’ but the number of lefty punters in the NFL keeps growing. Is it the troublesome spin, or is something else at work?

Interesting, thanks for posting. I was thinking before this game what if the Rams do a switcharoo on us and trade Bojorquez for a low pick. Would be genius, show off a young talented leg in preseason and get a 7th rounder for him. But after last night and what you just posted... man, it sucks but I think this will happen with Hekker being traded. Sucks but I get it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

punts.png

I just think it’s McVay being annoyed with Special teams. He’s a controlling type of guy and he doesn’t like the risk involved with punting or kicking. Injury risks are always an issue and giving up great field position or a TD is another. He likes playing the odds. If Bojorquez can punt it out of the end zone or over a returners head then that is the safer play. Do that on a consistent basis and the percentages for big returns goes way down.

Edit: or they love Hekker and hang onto him for his elite ball placement and this whole thread was a waste of time. Nobody officially said that Hekker was on the trade block.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just think it’s McVay being annoyed with Special teams. He’s a controlling type of guy and he doesn’t like the risk involved with punting or kicking. Injury risks are always an issue and giving up great field position or a TD is another. He likes playing the odds. If Bojorquez can punt it out of the end zone or over a returners head then that is the safer play. Do that on a consistent basis and the percentages for big returns goes way down.

Edit: or they love Hekker and hang onto him for his elite ball placement and this whole thread was a waste of time. Nobody officially said that Hekker was on the trade block.
Yeah, what he said! ~ Johnny

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
As far as Bojo's performance against the Broncos does anybody not think that punting in the rarefied air of Denver may have artificially inflated his distance numbers?
I've watched enough games there to know that 50 yd field goals are all but chip shots at Mile High Stadium.
I'm left wondering what some Johnny H punts might have looked like.
At any rate there's much more to punting than simply punishing the ball. How is Bojo on hang time and kicking outside the numbers and forcing fair catches inside the 10?
And why did a playoff team like Buffalo cut the guy anyway?
Much more to consider here than gross punting yards......

~ArkyRamsFan~

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine if you are Johnny Hekker, the longest tenured Ram and one of the few left from St Louis, and you are cut for cheaper Bojo? Also imagine seeing Bojo punt for the Rams at SoFi in a game that decides the Super Bowl while wearing Bengals gear? I think I'd kinda hate the Rams for all eternity if they cut me for savings NEXT year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Frankly, I cant wait for this fate to be determined. Should know today right?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Frankly, I cant wait for this fate to be determined. Should know today right?
I’d think the trade of either punter should happen today. Cuts are to be done by tomorrow.

Psycho_X

Legend
I’d think the trade of either punter should happen today. Cuts are to be done by tomorrow.
Idk, are players on covid protocol allowed to be traded? I'm going to assume he has to be cleared for it to be official. Kind of a weird wrench in the plan but it has to be close to two weeks by now since he was positive. Unless he got a severe case of it and it takes longer to get a negative result. Of course if we simply cut him we may be able to do that? I'm just thinking from a trade perspective. Weird times we live in lol.