Gurley 4 Year 60 Mil Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Averages out to 15 million . That's less than Bell and Gurley is entering his prime . Very smart move to get this done before the price inevitably Rose again

Not sure what you mean by less than Bell?

Pitt was offering him 5 years $70 mil - we are actually paying Gurley more than what Pitt offered Bell per year. Tells you Bell was right to not sign with them just yet.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes sense now. I'm wondering if that's the problem with AD's holdout. Maybe they are trying to do the same thing with him and he wants his money now. If that's the case, then I completely understand why the FO hasn't budged.

I think it should have been a little simpler with Aaron, since he's hands down the best defensive player in the league - with Todd, you could argue that he's not the best RB - no such argument for Aaron.

Which makes me think it is either:

-As you say, a hang up on how much he will be making THIS season

-Really waiting on Khalil Mack

-Hang up on length of contract

I don't see how the hang up could be on anything else - from that perspective, you sort of just have to pay whatever Donald asks for (assuming he's not asking for a fully guaranteed deal).

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for Gurley. He deserves it!

Hope the money doesn't drain him of his drive to win, like it does so many.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Imo, assuming this happens it is a smart, conservative, and "not greedy" move by both the Rams and Gurley. He may or may not get quite as much as he would if he hits free agency after two more years, but he will be guaranteed enough money for many lifetimes without having to worry about a serious injury wiping out his career. Deal recognizes that rbs do not get as much as qbs but Rams for their part give real market value and do not try to string Gurley out on just his rookie deal.

Very impressed with the common sense on both sides.

Also speaks very loudly to the new culture being built by the Rams. Great players want to play for them.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pitt was offering him 5 years $70 mil - we are actually paying Gurley more than what Pitt offered Bell per year. Tells you Bell was right to not sign with them just yet.
Pitt offered that to bell but bell didn't sign it (rightfully so) .So what I'm saying is that bell is going to get 17-18 million per year from somebody

Ram65

Legend
Gurley was an MVP runner up though .I don't think Freeman is as good. And this is what projections were showing for gurley for a while now

What projections?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

The Rams blew the top off the pay scale for running backs. It's not even close.

I don't think it's too high for a RB of Gurley's caliber. Sure, there are risks with RBs, but Gurley is worth the risk because is an exceptional talent and is good at everything you want a RB to be good at. He has speed, power, quickness, great vision, is an excellent pass blocker and an excellent receiver as well. If last year's past is prologue, he could end up being a bigger, stronger version of Marshall Faulk, and no, that's not an exaggeration.

I don't doubt Gurley's talent. We have to see the details of the deal. That is my first reaction to the deal. It's OK to question Demoff as he did over pay for Tavon Austin. No I'm not comparing the two players. I'm wondering if the Rams could have gotten Gurley for a little less money.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think it should have been a little simpler with Aaron, since he's hands down the best defensive player in the league - with Todd, you could argue that he's not the best RB - no such argument for Aaron.

I don't see how the hang up could be on anything else - from that perspective, you sort of just have to pay whatever Donald asks for (assuming he's not asking for a fully guaranteed deal).
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Donald's representatives haven't asked for anything close to reasonable (or perhaps possible, considering the amount of cap space the Rams have in 2018). If they had, it sounds like the Rams would have either agreed to a deal or countered with something so close that the two sides would have hammered something out.

I'm pretty sure that Donald didn't even want to sign a long-term deal last year and now they are waiting for Mack, as you already mentioned. I actually think the Rams approach is smart. Give everyone else contracts until there isn't any negotiating left to do. "Aaron, we have $18 million dollars per year left. If that isn't sufficient, we will use the franchise tag."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

One other theory, that is purely conjecture on my part - AD is simply going to wait until the last day to report because linemen hate training camp. It's possible he's already comfortable with the deal that's been put in front of him, but if he can miss two weeks of camp and still get it, he will.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

We'll never find out what the holdup was. Both sides have been tight lipped about the whole thing.
I think the Rams realize they don't have to pay AD whatever he asks for. The Rams kind of own him for the next 3 years no matter what. And if AD holds out or doesn't play he gets nothing in return. So when push comes to shove AD knows he doesn't really have leverage in this contract holdout which is why it's kind of frustrating. On the other hand no one is really blaming the Rams FO at this point.

Ever notice it's always the big payday guys that cry the loudest? You almost never hear of the mid tier causing a stink. just food for thought.

Turducken

Starter
This is a good deal for both sides. Gurley extends with two years left on his unchanged (cheap) rookie contract. He gets $15m/yr after that, but the biggest win for him is the $45m guarantee. He will is fully guaranteed for the next four seasons. In exchange, team gets an extension that will probably be below TG's market value as a FA in 2020....as long as he stays healthy. He'll be a Ram until he's 30 (i.e., his whole career).

Kevin

Pro Bowler

It depends on how much was guaranteed and how the contract was structured. Rappoport says it was not as big an offer as it looks.
Steelers
$30 million in the last two years of the contract the Bell would never see.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One other thought about this ... I'm sprouting a major boinger thinking about the fact that for the next several seasons our offense will include:

- Gurley
- Cooks
- Woods
- Kupp

I think it's almost a slam dunk we'll lock up Goff for the long term. If one or more of our TE's develop into a consistent threat, and we can keep the OL average or better, then we are going to have a very potent offense for a quite a while.

Strap in and get ready for the ride, folks!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It depends on how much was guaranteed and how the contract was structured. Rappoport says it was not as big an offer as it looks.
Steelers
$30 million in the last two years of the contract the Bell would never see.

Right. Which means we gave Gurley SIGNFICANTLY more than what the Steelers were offering Bell.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Hidden bonus... if the Cardinals thought they were going to get David Johnson signed at a discount, they can forget about that now.