Goff to start vs Packers, Wolford ruled out.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d have to look this up, but this got me thinking that’s Goffs second half wasn’t as good as his first half either...

Our second half schedule was fairly tough.

Seattle’s, one could argue... was their easier stretch... Cards, Eagles, Giants, Wash being weeks 11-15.

Point being; Wilson sucks more. :D
No worries, I transferred from VC to kick Packers ass ~ Dre Fogg

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well...most of the talking heads on this game are knocking Goff and saying the Rams can't win because of Goff in cold weather with "the thumb". A lot of them go back to the Bears game at Chicago.

Well yeah, Goff has looked mediocre in many games this year and he's turned it over too much...BUT...nothing's gonna make me happier tomorrow, than to see Goff do it right. Not that he has to have big numbers...but that he engineers the offense to almost perfection, handles the pressure well, and make good decisions...AND THE RAMS KNOCK THE PACK OUT IN FINE FASHION!!!
Now there’s a top Sgt if ever there were

Bravo Woodie!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. The type of interception it is carries weight as well.

This season Goff’s Int% is at a 2.4%. Who’s higher?
Cousins - 2.5
Lock - 3.4
Wentz - 3.4
Darnold - 3.0

Like Goff, Wilson and Cousins also have 13 INTs. But the significant difference is that Goff only has 20 TDs compared to 40 and 35 respectively.

But it ain’t just the picks given either. Goff has fumbled a total of 7 times this season... 7! Fortunately only losing 4 of those. Dude has turned the ball over a ton. Regardless of the OLine, he still is held accountable to a high degree.
What you're describing though doesn't match with the description you assign to him and that's what pisses people off. You get all full of hyperbole and spout this stuff and people just get bored of it. We get it you don't like Goff and you like his play even less. The rest of us are tired of his bad play but hope we get more of his good play and want to ride it out because we know he's better than what we've seen. We also know that we're tied to him at least through next year in all likelihood and nobody else on the roster is a realistic starter to replace him. So we try to act like adults and root him on and hope for the best.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it. Really I do. But I’m a bit more pragmatic and a realist in situations like these.
Come on man! If you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of it, why even bother? I like sports because its a distraction from the more stressful things in life not to cause me more stress. Relax and enjoy, it's only a game.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because "sudden change" can easily cost you a game. When your offense is constantly placing your defense on the field, will they not tire easier? Or how bout the most important thing which is to score points of any kind... can't do that when your throwing it to the defense often.
Sudden change can easily win you a game as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff has 3 turnovers in his last 5 games.
Brady has 3 Int in his last 5 games
Josh Allen has 3 turnovers in his last 5 games.
Brees has 4 turnovers in his last 5 games
Lamar Jackson has 4 turnovers in his last 5 games
Mahomes has 6 turnovers in his last 5 games
But Goff is the turnover machine?
I'm with you. The way moniker's get thrown around without context is just mind boggling.
I see this a lot from fan POV's. I call it myopic scrutiny.

Hypothetically: If the only full games i watched was Rams football and then got the rest of my opinions about other teams from ESPN highlights and head talkers...i'd probably be extremely critical of McV, Goff, the Oline, the WR's, the TE's, the INT's, the bad plays, the missed throws, the trainers, the waterboy etc.

Just a theory i happen to believe. I watch a lot of non-Rams games. Full games or mostly full games or the extended highlights at the very least. It serves context and perspective which for sure is 100% lost on some fans here.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The thing that scares me about tomorrow is not making the Packers defense the story of the game.
What I mean by that is turnovers short fields putting our defense in a bind. That is my biggest fear. Goff was having turnover issues prior and basically throughout his career. So the thumb being what it is and in the cold is obviously a major problem.id be lying if I didn't say i'm very worried. If this game was on equal ground I'd have a lot more confidence but it isn't. So we will have to be virtually perfect. No turnovers run all over them kick field goals and score touchdowns when we can. Hope the defense will do what it does best. If we do turn the ball over more than once then we could be in for a long day. Then all the pundit dopes will talk about Goff and how the green bay defense was the story. We have seen this all to often. We need everything to go right and a break or two let's hope guys. With that said go rams boys!!!!

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I don't know where the 2018 Goff went, I see flashes of him but that consistent greatness has been missing and it sucks. However, he might not be playing great but he's still a really good QB. It's never been lost on me where we were before Goff took over and where we are now, 4 straight years with a winning record. Jared doesn't deserve all the credit of course but he equally doesn't deserve all of the blame. I don't know what going on with Goff but I still believe he'll figure it out. If not, then at some point it may be time to move on. But that time is NOT right now, you don't move on from the guy that elevated your team from laughingstock of the NFL to legitimate competitors, that has taken us to the playoffs 3 times and a trip to the Superbowl. I even think he'll get us there again and hopefully win the next time that happens. He's the guy right now and I'll support him and cheer him on until he's no longer the guy

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The only real thing that concerns me tomorrow is that pesky number 12

He’s the VERY best QB in the NFC and perhaps the NFL, needless to say, that’s a big, BIG problem

Not exactly the QB I’d wanna face in postseason

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I don't know where the 2018 Goff went, I see flashes of him but that consistent greatness has been missing and it sucks. However, he might not be playing great but he's still a really good QB. It's never been lost on me where we were before Goff took over and where we are now, 4 straight years with a winning record. Jared doesn't deserve all the credit of course but he equally doesn't deserve all of the blame. I don't know what going on with Goff but I still believe he'll figure it out. If not, then at some point it may be time to move on. But that time is NOT right now, you don't move on from the guy that elevated your team from laughingstock of the NFL to legitimate competitors, that has taken us to the playoffs 3 times and a trip to the Superbowl. I even think he'll get us there again and hopefully win the next time that happens. He's the guy right now and I'll support him and cheer him on until he's no longer the guy

I agree but as unfair has the media has been on Goff at times thumb or no thumb they will do the same but i don't care about the media.
The reality of the situation is the game and the thumb I pray he can make the necessary throws no hero ball and who knows if he is healthier than we think maybe the expectations of him to suck or not be able to lead the team to victory will relieve the pressure and light that fire. I'd feel way better if Goff didn't have 3 pins on his thumb in frigid conditions. That's my concern.

JRobinson

MiLB
What you're describing though doesn't match with the description you assign to him and that's what pisses people off. You get all full of hyperbole and spout this stuff and people just get bored of it. We get it you don't like Goff and you like his play even less. The rest of us are tired of his bad play but hope we get more of his good play and want to ride it out because we know he's better than what we've seen. We also know that we're tied to him at least through next year in all likelihood and nobody else on the roster is a realistic starter to replace him. So we try to act like adults and root him on and hope for the best.

Ok. But stats still back up fact homie.

Anyone who is a fan of this team, regime, whatever you wanna label it as, clearly understands we are tied to Goff for the foreseeable future. We also all realize that Goff has been better than what he is currently; not some hot take.

If you can post an image of where I say, “ I don’t like Goff” I’ll Venmo you $20.... I’ll wait.

Don’t give me the whole, “You don’t have to say it literally to say it.” Lame. Goff has sucked THIS SEASON.

People, like you, get pissed because I simply don’t agree and point out stats to back up the claim that Goff sucks. Sorry?

JRobinson

MiLB
Come on man! If you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of it, why even bother? I like sports because its a distraction from the more stressful things in life not to cause me more stress. Relax and enjoy, it's only a game.

Im a passionate person. Not just the Rams, but all things in life. I’m a 100% all in type of dude who develops a decision based on truth. If game day don’t stress you out then you have no emotional investment.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok. But stats still back up fact homie.

Anyone who is a fan of this team, regime, whatever you wanna label it as, clearly understands we are tied to Goff for the foreseeable future. We also all realize that Goff has been better than what he is currently; not some hot take.

If you can post an image of where I say, “ I don’t like Goff” I’ll Venmo you $20.... I’ll wait.

Don’t give me the whole, “You don’t have to say it literally to say it.” Lame. Goff has sucked THIS SEASON.

People, like you, get pissed because I simply don’t agree and point out stats to back up the claim that Goff sucks. Sorry?

People get annoyed by the cynicism. Constant negativity isn't endearing. Pessimists love to think of themselves as "realists." But being negative doesn't mean you're being realistic. You seem to be relish being a wet blanket. I get it if somebody is debating you, but when you respond with negativity to optimism that wasn't even directed at you, it isn't a good look. I'll leave it at that.

JRobinson

MiLB
People get annoyed by the cynicism. Constant negativity isn't endearing. Pessimists love to think of themselves as "realists." But being negative doesn't mean you're being realistic. You seem to be relish being a wet blanket. I get it if somebody is debating you, but when you respond with negativity to optimism that wasn't even directed at you, it isn't a good look. I'll leave it at that.

Respect your opinion. Disagree. Because at the end of the day, jotting down words on a digital screen doesn’t always convert into knowing what someone is truly saying or even feeling. It’s just words.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Really wish he hadn't had to reveal it so early in the week. Now GB will be fully prepared for Goff. I just cannot see how his thumb will react well to freezing temps. Given the way it came off of his hand last week, we could be in trouble. I'll be rooting my ass off for him, but, we are going to need the D to step up big time, as usual. Problem is, against an elite QB playing at an MVP level, he's not likely to turn over the ball to us.
Well unless Rodgers gets a good solid smack in the mouth early. . Battle that cheese.... GO RAMS!!!!

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Respect your opinion. Disagree. Because at the end of the day, jotting down words on a digital screen doesn’t always convert into knowing what someone is truly saying or even feeling. It’s just words.

1610780096786.png

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don’t know, I guess I would ask you what’s up with all the boots the Rams run, forfeiting 50% of the field.

I would also ask do you really believe the eye test that the Rams OLine is solid in pass protection?

So they are 10th in the NFL or were in rushing, does that imply anything about what opposing Defenses really fear playing the Rams

Im not on board with players all of a sudden ”lose it” I am on board that over a period of time key players can be pounded into making mistakes, call it a lack of confidence in your supporting cast not doing their job

To me it’s really quite simple, Rams establish the run, the OLine affords more than their usual 1.5 seconds on drop backs, this offense clicks

Constant roll outs...from my POV indicate a complete lack of trust in pass pro

just my two cents

Exactly. QB play is directly related to and a product of how the offense as a whole plays. Goff has proven he can run a high powered offense when he has one. He doesn't have one now, unless as I hope Akers steps up again and Whitworth pushes the oline to another level.

When Whitworth went out and Akers was injured the Rams really had no credible running attack. They haven't had a deep passing attack all year. They have had a possession offense with few big play threats. That's why they threw 47 short passes against Arizona, mostly into very narrow windows. Even with rollouts and short passes Goff has been under constant pressure.

Most quarterbacks don't look good and throw more interceptions in these circumstances, even without considering tipped and pressured throws and receiver mistakes. Such as the top QBs in the last several games listed in the post above.