Goff or Wentz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man... before that draft, it was hard to decide with what us fans can get our eyes and ears on.

Something that ended up swaying me to Goff was some unexpected 411 from a good friend of mine. I got this info the day after we drafted him.

This friend of mine used to be a MLB pitcher. When he was going through his minor league stint... Goff's Dad was his catcher. My friend also happens to be a disgusting whiner fan as he grew up in San Fran. We almost never have anything nice to say about each other's teams... it's usually straight shit talking only.

Anyway, he called me the day after we drafted him to tell me how much he liked Goff. I was expecting a punchline to be delivered next... but no... he was super serious. He went on to tell me about what a great competitor Goff's Dad is... and how after he finished playing ball that he became a fireman so he could run into burning buildings to save people. He couldn't say enough great things about Goff's family and our new QB. It was over the top praise and I knew it was coming from a genuine place... because like it said... he's a whiner fan and had never said even the slightest positive thing about my Rams. It was really something to hear him go on and on about it.

Using hindsight now... Goff looks like the slam dunk correct pick. Plus... he's years younger than that iggle QB who can't stay off of the IR list.

I think his on camera demeanor is deceiving and maybe gives people the wrong impression of Goff. He's the son of a professional ball player... he was groomed from the start to know how to handle himself behind the camera. He gives nothing away... just like he's supposed to do. A great teammate and leader too.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Two things from the Deraj Foge vid:

(Knowing he was talking to the starting QB), "You the kicker?"

(asking 'what was your record last year'?) Uhhh...."That's why I'm here."

He is wicked funny, smart, low key and deadly, with a California Cool attitude. Couldn't ask for a better demeanor in a QB.
Watching TB yelling and spiking and screaming....fuck that. Goff does a small fist bump or a goal post lay up.

We are SO lucky.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I remember watching film on them both and my worry about Wentz was that he reminded me a lot of Bradford and well...

I always wanted Goff, I'm so glad we have him and I hope we keep him for as along as possible

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was admittedly a Wentz gal at draft day, but I wouldn't have minded Goff at quarterback. Glad that everything turned out the way it did.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The best ability is availability. Wentz has 2 years where he didnt finish the year. Goff has stayed healthy.

That being said, if Wentz can make it through this year the conversation changes a little but right now the odds on Wentz playing the entire year is 50/50.

May not be fair, but staying healthy is important and for me is part of any evaluation, especially at QB where the back up can be a dramatic drop in talent.

For my money, I roll with Goff and its worth noting Goff has lead his team to a Super Bowl.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<— Goff man since day 1

Yeah... That Dallas game... I kept saying to myself... “he’s arrived”. Most of his learning curve is over now, and that game “was going in slow motion” for him.

You could see it. He knows what he‘s doing out there. He’s the man.

He’ll shit the bed at some point, they all have stretches... but he’s going to be stacking good performances now. IMO

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All good points. Goff isn’t the flashy QB who is going to make a crazy escape to make a play like Shorty Wilson. He’s not the sexy mobile dual threat QB. But when he has time in the pocket he’ll do great things. We all know he can throw accurate deep balls. What was impressive this weekend were the consistent drives and third down conversions.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
giphy.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I liked Wentz over Goff pre draft. Now? Don't want Wentz on my team living in the tub......but Goff needs to get better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, as much as I love Goff and banging on Wentz is sort of fun... Wentz is not in a good spot to be successful right now, IMO.

Agreed. Eagles need a Reggie Scott to maybe cut down on all those injuries.

Anyway, methinks if we could see how things would look if Wentz & Goff could magically change places, this might not even be up for debate.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyway, methinks if we could see how things would look if Wentz & Goff could magically change places, this might not even be up for debate.

Would it?

Unless, you agree with me and think they are both good and it’s a pointless debate (even if fun). Strength here, weakness there, situation here, situation there... yada yada.

Wentz health is a fair debate, based on the data so far. Sure.

The rest is picking between things you prefer in a QB. Good luck getting us all to agree on that one, right?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Problem with Wentz is he plays hero ball. Rarely will he give up on a play. Reminds me of Warner after teams caught up with the GSOT and guys were not as open. He would hold the ball too long and started getting hurt, concussed, fumbled etc..

Wentz leads the league in fumbles the last few yrs and of course he gets hurt as he leaves himself open to a lot of hits.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Would it?

Unless, you agree with me and think they are both good and it’s a pointless debate (even if fun). Strength here, weakness there, situation here, situation there... yada yada.

Wentz health is a fair debate, based on the data so far. Sure.

The rest is picking between things you prefer in a QB. Good luck getting us all to agree on that one, right?

I agree that both are good, but I won't kid myself into not seeing that Goff has been in a much better situation with his weapons during his NFL career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jared without a doubt. Fisher made the correct decision.

Now that's not to say that sometimes when watching the Rams, like the last drive of our first game in 2020 for example, that I haven't wondered about his ability to deliver in the clutch. Maybe even offered up some, oh idk, Goff-related expletives.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I was alway on the Goff bandwagon. His history in college getting his ass kicked his first year and getting better every year even though he never had a good Oline. The show of great happiness by is Cal teammates when he was the first pick said to me his team loves him. It says alot about a QB. Even when he went 0-7 I saw alot of plays that said to me he could be really great if we put some talent around him. The fact that he never ever throws anybody under the bus. Never shows any emotion towards a player when everyone knows that player fucked up. He is a very tough kid. Of course he has also shown unbelievable talent. The KC game. The vikings game, oh my God!! He is young and still putting it together. He will be a Top QB for a lot of years.

Ramon Ram

Starter
I was a Wentz guy and until right now I have changed based on stability and touch on his passes. Wentz is still tough. Not sure how Wentz would look in our system but I am happy with Goff.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Right, and maybe not

gotta love hypotheticals, we’re all entitled opinion

this much is certain, Eagles drafted a potential replacement QB 2nd rd

Rams?

clearly they’re happy