Goff Displaying Growth, Leadership

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is special. I love the way he rebounded and fed his critics a large helping of crow. The guy has it all.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Goff is special. I love the way he rebounded and fed his critics a large helping of crow. The guy has it all.
He has it all, plus a bag of chips...errr, cheese ballz

th

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The tractor-trailer argument is worthy and fun but this coming season will tell us a lot more about Jared being a tractor vs a trailer.

You mentioned Goff in the Atlanta playoff game loss and I can respect what you meant by that. I will also mention that Wentz has never played in a NFL playoff game yet so we can't compare them in that category just yet young jedi.
2018 season is coming fast....and it will tell a story....I'm interested in how it shakes out.

I just watched the NFL story of my fav QB of all-time....Dan Marino...

I highly doubt his contract has incentives tied to ESPN's QBR
Believe it or not...many coaches, front office types...draft QB contracts with stuff like PFF and QBR in mind...base incentives on it....just the way analytics work...they use every stat available.
I think ill just keep on saying this till, well whenever...

Wentz has had significant injury issues 3 years in a row, lol, the only 3 years he’s actually seen a playing field since high school

Goff? with, way, way, WAY more starts under his belt the past 6 years, cuz he actually didnt have to wait until his 5th year in college ... None at all

Champ has never responded to that cuz, well, he can’t

Drops mic
Hoping, planning, or anticipating injuries is not how I really work....I will say, recurrent injuries do trouble me...but I lean on the side of medical advances....like ACL tears don't bother me...unless they KEEP happening....

I will say...the way Wentz was injured was ok by me...he was trying to score...he dove...

he just didn't realize Mark Barron is one of the hardest hitters on our team...

QB's do crazy stuff by the goalline...it happens...

I'll take MVP caliber play...with the risk of injury...all the time.
It's really disappointing to me that you think that way. Goff actually had an outstanding game vs Atlanta.
outstanding game? when we scored 13 points.....OK

45 throws too....27 to 2 players...when it was stated in here by many...that we thrive on "spreading the ball around"....

I doubt the veracity of this statement...
I know what yours going to say though. "Goff needs to choose which player to throw to in certain situations". Well, it's not him calling the plays.
You're about to contradict your own statement...he decides who finally receives the ball....McVay just gives keys to look for...

I remember when we had QB's that check down...when we needed points...and guys would rake those QB's over coals in here...

Throwing 2-5 yard passes, when down by 2 scores, in the 3rd & 4th quarter, is lame....Throwing short of the sticks in the first half was worse.
He gave Sammy Watkins two chances to be that number one receiver. He dropped both of them.
After basically freezing him out the entire first half....

Then he throws some contested passes late in the game..like, "Sammy, save us"

Show me 2 dropped passes...and I'll finally agree that those contested balls were actual drops.
I would love to see Champs list of the top 20 NFL QBs right now.
no you wouldn't....

After the top 10....they're pretty much the same...

Check out the top 100....Case Keenum was on there....can you guess where our guy shows up? If he's not in there, why do YOU think the other players...not me...not the coaches...the other players don't believe he's a top QB?

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think if you shedded your bias and focused on the nuances of Goffs game, you'd love him.

I used to watch a lot of college football....so much that I didn't even watch a bunch of pro games on Sunday....just the Rams and taped college matchups....

When we were in desperate need of a QB I was watching all the QB's....I still remember Matt Ryan at BC....I saw Russell Wilson at Wisconsin....man that dude never quit coming back....

I've watch mostly Pac-12....SEC....and B1G....a lil Big-12....and ACC....I really like what the ACC puts out btw....

I like Goff....he's ok...he's a lil less than Matt Ryan IMO....kinda more Andy Dalton....which aint bad....but I've noticed that Matt and Andy both have trouble in the playoffs....tighter windows....more talent out there...better defensive scheme...it's hard to move the ball vs elite teams...in poor weather...in Dec and January....It's why I like Brees, but I see his limitations...out of a dome, he's almost average...same with Peyton....and...those guys are great at reading and manipulating defenses....same with Phillip Rivers...good QB's with some flaws....I do think Goff could get as good as some of these guys...but....IMO...when you have arm talent limits...it's harder to score when the defenders are good...the DC's are great...they've prepared and scouted your weaknesses...you need that arm strength....you need that movement....look at the Atl. game....watch how our defense was just a step behind getting Ryan...how he moved and threw....how he used his #1 wr to create mismatches for him...and his teammates (esp. Sanu...another physical freak)....

Another thing....and this was found out in hardknocks...dude aint the sharpest knife in the drawer....and it's funny, cause a bunch of yall bang on alleged dumb guys...Tay can't remember plays...G-Rob is like a box of rocks..Quick & Britt turn over a golf cart......but never on sunsetsinwest....throwing to Higbee early....throwing to Kupp...hell, throwing 14 to Woods isn't what I'd draw up to score either....something just aint right....

And...I know he's OUR QB....he's a Ram...but if we wanna win big...in the playoffs...he needs a defense...like Blake Bortles (didn't he play outstanding in that loss to NE?)....outstanding running game....and WIDE OPEN THROWING LANES....and in the playoffs...all of that rarely, if ever, happens.

He's not Kurt Warner...not close....and that's the only SB the Rams have won............He's no Mark Bulger....all those check downs in crunch time....not trying to score...not looking downfield....13 points at home...reminded me of Cal....never won a big game...NEVER....We went 1-2 vs NFC playoff teams (1-3 if you wanna add Atl)....we slowed down at the end...when it was thought we should be peaking...

NFC is the tougher division at the moment....maybe in the AFC we could slip by....

Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Cam, and....hell, I'll throw Eli in there...are trouble...Winston, Goff, Cousins, Dak, Smith....are trailers, errrr, trailing that lead dog pack....and yall wonder why I'm concerned? And Josh Rosen aint no effin joke either.

Really....growth....dude shoulda won a home playoff game...audible out and give it to Gurley...he was ready to win that game....but our leader chose to throw 45 passes...27 to Kupp and Woods. And we scored 13 points.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I used to watch a lot of college football....so much that I didn't even watch a bunch of pro games on Sunday....just the Rams and taped college matchups....

When we were in desperate need of a QB I was watching all the QB's....I still remember Matt Ryan at BC....I saw Russell Wilson at Wisconsin....man that dude never quit coming back....

I've watch mostly Pac-12....SEC....and B1G....a lil Big-12....and ACC....I really like what the ACC puts out btw....

I like Goff....he's ok...he's a lil less than Matt Ryan IMO....kinda more Andy Dalton....which aint bad....but I've noticed that Matt and Andy both have trouble in the playoffs....tighter windows....more talent out there...better defensive scheme...it's hard to move the ball vs elite teams...in poor weather...in Dec and January....It's why I like Brees, but I see his limitations...out of a dome, he's almost average...same with Peyton....and...those guys are great at reading and manipulating defenses....same with Phillip Rivers...good QB's with some flaws....I do think Goff could get as good as some of these guys...but....IMO...when you have arm talent limits...it's harder to score when the defenders are good...the DC's are great...they've prepared and scouted your weaknesses...you need that arm strength....you need that movement....look at the Atl. game....watch how our defense was just a step behind getting Ryan...how he moved and threw....how he used his #1 wr to create mismatches for him...and his teammates (esp. Sanu...another physical freak)....

Another thing....and this was found out in hardknocks...dude aint the sharpest knife in the drawer....and it's funny, cause a bunch of yall bang on alleged dumb guys...Tay can't remember plays...G-Rob is like a box of rocks..Quick & Britt turn over a golf cart......but never on sunsetsinwest....throwing to Higbee early....throwing to Kupp...hell, throwing 14 to Woods isn't what I'd draw up to score either....something just aint right....

And...I know he's OUR QB....he's a Ram...but if we wanna win big...in the playoffs...he needs a defense...like Blake Bortles (didn't he play outstanding in that loss to NE?)....outstanding running game....and WIDE OPEN THROWING LANES....and in the playoffs...all of that rarely, if ever, happens.

He's not Kurt Warner...not close....and that's the only SB the Rams have won............He's no Mark Bulger....all those check downs in crunch time....not trying to score...not looking downfield....13 points at home...reminded me of Cal....never won a big game...NEVER....We went 1-2 vs NFC playoff teams (1-3 if you wanna add Atl)....we slowed down at the end...when it was thought we should be peaking...

NFC is the tougher division at the moment....maybe in the AFC we could slip by....

Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Cam, and....hell, I'll throw Eli in there...are trouble...Winston, Goff, Cousins, Dak, Smith....are trailers, errrr, trailing that lead dog pack....and yall wonder why I'm concerned? And Josh Rosen aint no effin joke either.

Really....growth....dude shoulda won a home playoff game...audible out and give it to Gurley...he was ready to win that game....but our leader chose to throw 45 passes...27 to Kupp and Woods. And we scored 13 points.

Champ, get a bigger sample size before you pin labels on our guy. Rough stuff.

Goff had a ton of clutch QB plays in that Atlanta game. You dwell on 13 points, but there are 11 offensive players on the field.

Goff threw a couple beautiful touchdown passes that were dropped. Plain and simple.

The defense could not get off the field.

Pharaoh made a huge mistake, (just as our boy was buckling his chin strap, ready to come back in.)

Goff is equipped to be as good as any of your Alpha dogs. Love ya, Champ. But in the words of Sgt. Hulka, “Lighten up, Francis.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Champ, get a bigger sample size before you pin labels on our guy. Rough stuff.

Goff had a ton of clutch QB plays in that Atlanta game. You dwell on 13 points, but there are 11 offensive players on the field.

Goff threw a couple beautiful touchdown passes that were dropped. Plain and simple.

The defense could not get off the field.

Pharaoh made a huge mistake, (just as our boy was buckling his chin strap, ready to come back in.

Goff is equipped to be as good as any of your Alpha dogs. Love ya, Champ. But in the words of Sgt. Hulka, “Lighten up, Francis.”
I find it incredibly funny how he hates Goff and labels him for not winning his first playoff game. Yet says Marino is his favorite QB ever, a guy who lost his first playoff game and has significantly worse stats in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Clutch? 2nd quarter...I had hope...I was like...hmmm...maybe this guy has it....

3rd quarter says it all...so does the 4th....and really, those games against really good defensive teams.
I seriously don't know how you can have a ton of clutch plays but score 13 points?

I did remember several throws short of the sticks..the same thing many crucified Sam Bradford for...in this site...less than 3 years ago...but whatever
Goff threw a couple beautiful touchdown passes that were dropped.
Show them....

I contend they were contested...no one but fans in here say that Sammy dropped passes...they were tough catches...maybe makeable...but obviously they weren't.

My main contention...he only targeted him 1 time in the first half...maybe twice..but the ball was uncatchable...the late throws were like...cosmetic...I mean, we were built on spreading it around...but in the huge game we focused on...I guess from reading comments..our best 2 wrs...OK:thinking:
I find it incredibly funny how he hates Goff and labels him for not winning his first playoff game. Yet says Marino is his favorite QB ever, a guy who lost his first playoff game and has significantly worse stats in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

Dan Marino played in 1983-84....the game was different then...much different...but because I like you too, I'll play

They also played a home playoff game....interesting year, this was the year the Rams got destroyed by Washington 51-3 or 7....Riggins....Dickerson trying to grab a neckroll on a fumble return...back to Dan...Jumped out to a 13-7 first half lead....then grabbed the lead...AGAIN...in the 4th quarter....which Seattle...with Chuck Knox overcame....
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198312310mia.htm
No play by play...but as a ROOKIE....Dan threw 2 TD's...and also 2 INT's...no way of knowing when these occurred or how much they really played into the final score...for an even greater perspective...the Dolphins also lost 3 fumbles...so they had 5 turnovers...had the lead in the 4th...and barely lost 27-20....it's not just losing...it's HOW you LOSE....feel me...
:mrburnsevil:
Proceed to try and confuse the narrative:dizzy: and compare our guy with Dan Marino....he played like shit...in an offensive era...when he was allowed to throw the damn ball 45 times...and he choose to target Kupp and Woods with 27 of those pass attempts....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dan Marino played in 1983-84....the game was different then...much different...but because I like you too, I'll play

Again spin it however you want, and we all know you move the goal posts for guys you like, but he was a worse player in the playoffs than the regular season. He completed a lower percentage of passes, threw touchdowns at a lower rate and interceptions at a higher rate. He had a lower yards per attempt and his completions went for fewer yards. You harp on Goff for not carrying his team in the playoffs his first season as a starter and his first post season game but make excuses for others. You criticize Goff because the last image of him you have is us losing to Atlanta yet what's the last image we have of Wentz who you drool over? Oh yeah...

5a2dce238a49861f008b4fb6-750-562.jpg

I can see how he didn't let you down :D

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think about of the heavy Goff vs Prince Harry...er...I mean Wentz draft debate. I think this offense is much better with Goff/McVay than a Wentz/McVay.

The running, scrambling QB is such a liability in this league. They show some early excitement but many times are susceptible to injuries. Wilson seems to be an exception to this but Russel's true specialty is game management. He is damn good at that. And part of that is knowing when to run or not.

I too love our new QB. Head is screwed on right and has a great sense of humor. Can laugh at himself.

GO RAMS!!!

I think Wentz would have done just enough to allow Fisher to stay and seriously, F that!

Goff is the man I large part because it means we got McVay

MachS

Hall of Fame
Goff is a flat out stud. Beyond the physical gifts and mental toughness, he's being taught by maybe the best offensive teacher in the league. This cannot be understated.

With McVays knowledge and ability to teach, Goff should turn into a perrineal all pro. I don't think Jared has even scratched the surface at understanding defenses and how to manipulate them. Imagine him in another 2-3 years.............

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why can’t both Goff and Wentz become top flight QB’s?

It doesn’t need to be an either/or thing.

Speaking for myself, I see both QB’s as future All Pro candidates for years to come.

And, while I’m at it, given the quality of their respective rosters and coaches, I see several SB titles in each of their futures.

So there.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@LACHAMP46 I really would like to see your top 20 QBs in the game right now. Even if @Badfinger has a "different opinion" lol.
And its only because I am intrigued by your point of view.
You said you have maybe 10? Then the rest are the same?
Just curious.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@LACHAMP46 I really would like to see your top 20 QBs in the game right now. Even if @Badfinger has a "different opinion" lol.
And its only because I am intrigued by your point of view.
You said you have maybe 10? Then the rest are the same?
Just curious.

To be clear, I think Goff will be a perennial top 5 QB going forward and last year I thought he was an absolute badass.
He keeps his cool, has some nifty footwork in the pocket, looks to attack instead of the easy completion..
For his age and experience, I think he is already great.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wentz was injured on the play before this. You could see it on his face when he stepped under center that he suspected he was injured. It was also confirmed by the eagles the injury happened on the play before this.

The biggest knock on Wentz is that he has been injured in every season he has started since college. Does not mean he is not a good QB, but IMO great QBs dont finish every season on the bench.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think it's extremely dangerous to throw your devil's advocate under the bus. Healthy skepticism should be valued, or we just wind up acting like rah-rah cowgirl fans.
I think our players, including Goff, should appreciate criticism of their games. I think he's endured a lot at Cal & I think it's made him a better QB as a result. I don't want him comfortable. I don't want a prima Donna QB who sulks in interviews after losses. I want him to grow a few chest hairs & not part himself on the back until he's hoisted the Lombardi.
I remember Marino too, one of my all time favs. Still busts me up he never went all the way. But his big fat contact & those epically bad Dolphin D's were just too much in the end. Imagine him in the Jason Taylor era.

Ramzheart

Rookie
I think it's extremely dangerous to throw your devil's advocate under the bus. Healthy skepticism should be valued, or we just wind up acting like rah-rah cowgirl fans.
I think our players, including Goff, should appreciate criticism of their games. I think he's endured a lot at Cal & I think it's made him a better QB as a result. I don't want him comfortable. I don't want a prima Donna QB who sulks in interviews after losses. I want him to grow a few chest hairs & not part himself on the back until he's hoisted the Lombardi.
I remember Marino too, one of my all time favs. Still busts me up he never went all the way. But his big fat contact & those epically bad Dolphin D's were just too much in the end. Imagine him in the Jason Taylor era.
I agree about healthy criticism but find it interesting most of champs criticism is directed at Goff!
You can look at anyone's game and find flaws. Bottom line Rams fans, our team is relative again after decades and like it or not champ- Goff is part of the reason..

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree about healthy criticism but find it interesting most of champs criticism is directed at Goff!
You can look at anyone's game and find flaws.
You obviously have never asked me about Havenstein, Brown, Joyner....and Higbee....