Goff Displaying Growth, Leadership

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am excited about the team, but interviews are boring as he.ll. Gurley only has as any life to him after a big game, and it's usually a bored-why-do-I-have-to-be-here, look, droning on about "getting better."McVay has energy, but is doing the coach-speak thing where he doesn't answer anything he doesn't want to. Goff? He has overused the "just trying to get comfortable" sentiment since day one. My eyes glaze over when watching the above interviews, and I often stop them half-way through...

PS..believe it or not, the best regular after game interview I saw last year was from Michael Brockers.."So this is what it's like?" because lane clogging DT's don't normally get interviewed, but with his new position in the 3-4 allowed him the opportunity.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What is wrong this guy @Selassie I ?

He's a total nerd die hard awesome Rams fan. This guy belongs in the family..

f2e3f787e909b960a04da2a7fcc0949c.jpg

I completely agree.

But somebody needs to keep an eye on him at all times. Especially if Goff is within 200 yards of him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Goff reveals the one thing he wants to improve in 2018

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/25/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-otas-news-2018-improve/

Jared Goff made one of the largest sophomore leaps in the NFL last season, going from one of the worst quarterbacks in the second half of 2016 to a Pro Bowler and postseason starter. A large portion of that had to do with the weapons and offensive line – as well as the arrival of Sean McVay, of course – but give Goff credit, too.

The game clearly slowed down for him in his second NFL season, allowing him to see the field more easily and make the proper reads. The result was a 28-touchdown, 3,804-yard campaign and a place among the best young quarterbacks in the game.

The question now becomes this: How will Goff continue to improve in Year 3? He shed some light on that Thursday after OTA practice.

“Just efficiency,” Goff said of the one area in which he wants to improve. “One thing in particular for me would be completion percentage and getting that up and continuing the get the ball into playmakers’ hands and not take as many sacks and get the ball out to Todd [Gurley] on the check-downs like that. So, just better efficiency and continue to take care of the ball.”

Goff did a great job taking care of the football last season, throwing just seven interceptions – the same number he had as a rookie in eight fewer games. As good as he was limiting interceptions, Goff struggled to hold onto the football in the pocket.He coughed it up eight times last season, losing three of those fumbles. A handful of those came at the most inopportune times, as fumbles often do.

That troubling trend simply comes down to getting the ball out on time and showing awareness in the pocket, both of which troubled Goff a year ago. If he can clean up that area of his game, the Rams will be given even more possessions and Goff will continue to improve as an overall quarterback.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Pretty much my thoughts.

I love our QB. Not comparing to anyone else. Not saying he's better than A or B. Doesn't matter to me.

I love our QB.

I think about of the heavy Goff vs Prince Harry...er...I mean Wentz draft debate. I think this offense is much better with Goff/McVay than a Wentz/McVay.

The running, scrambling QB is such a liability in this league. They show some early excitement but many times are susceptible to injuries. Wilson seems to be an exception to this but Russel's true specialty is game management. He is damn good at that. And part of that is knowing when to run or not.

I too love our new QB. Head is screwed on right and has a great sense of humor. Can laugh at himself.

GO RAMS!!!

Ram65

Legend
Goff did a great job taking care of the football last season, throwing just seven interceptions – the same number he had as a rookie in eight fewer games. As good as he was limiting interceptions, Goff struggled to hold onto the football in the pocket. He coughed it up eight times last season, losing three of those fumbles. A handful of those came at the most inopportune times, as fumbles often do.

“Just efficiency,” Goff said of the one area in which he wants to improve. “One thing in particular for me would be completion percentage and getting that up and continuing the get the ball into playmakers’ hands and not take as many sacks and get the ball out to Todd [Gurley] on the check-downs like that. So, just better efficiency and continue to take care of the ball.”

Goff was not that bad at fumbling or getting sacked. I imagine he can get better by making quicker decisions simply by knowing the offense better. Readings the defenses better will also help. Goff was able to move out of the pocket and buy some time. I would like some better scramble drills and Goff throwing better on the run. At least he was able to throw the ball away and he did make some nice completions. A 65-66 completion percentage would be great.

Fumbles
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/fumbles
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=M&sort=fumnum

Sacks per game team
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But wait!!! How can trailers be good leaders :ROFLMAO:
Hmmm....I know....

But these are predictions...correct? Or, is he already a great leader?
Oh yeah, the tractor/trailer "theory". That one is right up there with QBR in it's "design" and (purely objective) "metrics".
You should send your concerns, questions, and objections directly to ESPN....I'm sure they have a few staffers there ready to explain the entire reasoning behind QBR....yeah, it may sound like the explanation for the top 100...but it's still their stat...and it is used to rate QB's...Jared's job is to get better on that metric

Goff figures to improve in his 2nd season under McVay. In fact, if he doesn’t, I’ll be stunned.
If he doesn't....please don't start making excuses...blaming guys...
2018 is truly on him
Only if they are permanently attached to the tractor, like a straight truck! ~LACHAMP46
He had several chances to shed the trailer label....for me....instead...like most humans...I remember the last image I saw of him best....the Atlanta game...trailer-ish for sure...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh yeah, the tractor/trailer "theory". That one is right up there with QBR in it's "design" and (purely objective) "metrics".

ESPN would do themselves a favor to stop pimping that because everyone thinks it a bullshit stat.

Woods will benefit from an improved Goff.

Woods has been a great addition and doesn't get enough love IMO.

Gurley only has as any life to him after a big game, and it's usually a bored-why-do-I-have-to-be-here, look,

Now that you point that out I have to agree with you. He's either a little shy or just hates the interview stuff.

“One thing in particular for me would be completion percentage and getting that up

I said that earlier today..........so Goff is a smart dude LOL

Russel's true specialty is game management.

IMO one of the things about him that doesn't get talked about a lot is that he doesn't throw a lot of INT's.

161 TD's and 56 INT's is pretty damn good.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmm....I know....

You should send your concerns, questions, and objections directly to ESPN....I'm sure they have a few staffers there ready to explain the entire reasoning behind QBR....yeah, it may sound like the explanation for the top 100...but it's still their stat...and it is used to rate QB's...Jared's job is to get better on that metric

2018 is truly on him

He had several chances to shed the trailer label....for me....instead...like most humans...I remember the last image I saw of him best....the Atlanta game...trailer-ish for sure...

Yes @LACHAMP46 you are going to remain sarcastic and strong with your insight on mr. goff. When I first joined this board you and I had some private chats and had a few discussions about Goff & Wentz.

You were strong about your desire for Wentz with good reasons and as of today your predictions are winning because Carson has had a better 2 year career than Jared.

Don't let the tractor-trailer mockery of you on this forum make you hate on the Goffster just because your intuition of Wentz was correct during the evaluation process. This fight is far from over between these 2 field generals and you know that as well as anyone.

You were correct about the Goff/Wentz debate after the first 2 years of their young careers. You also need to be mindful as McVay so often likes to say.

The comparisons of these 2 young bucks cant be factual after only their first 2 seasons. It's a relative benchmark but not even close to a conclusion.

They are both young stud QB's in the NFL thus far and to say one of them is greater than the other is silly until we have seen them perform for at least 5 years.

2 years in the books and 3 to go Champ. Carson has a good lead after 2 seasons but Jared is catching up fast and their 3rd season as NFL quarterbacks will be even more telling.

I'm glad both of these kids are in the NFL because superior NFL quarterbacks don't grow on trees. The better the QB's are league wide makes the NFL a better product.

The tractor-trailer argument is worthy and fun but this coming season will tell us a lot more about Jared being a tractor vs a trailer.

You mentioned Goff in the Atlanta playoff game loss and I can respect what you meant by that. I will also mention that Wentz has never played in a NFL playoff game yet so we can't compare them in that category just yet young jedi.

silhouette-tractor-trailer-260nw-1065401963.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much my thoughts.

I love our QB. Not comparing to anyone else. Not saying he's better than A or B. Doesn't matter to me.

I love our QB.

i concur with your thoughts 100% but i was talking about this guy, the goff man.

addon.php

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared's job is to get better on that metric
I highly doubt his contract has incentives tied to ESPN's QBR. Correlation? maybe.

Basically, you just have a terrible memory problem :p

Ramzheart

Rookie
Hmmm....I know....

2018 is truly on him

I'd be ok with a couple Superbowl wins riding poor Qbrs- bring it!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I think ill just keep on saying this till, well whenever...

Wentz has had significant injury issues 3 years in a row, lol, the only 3 years he’s actually seen a playing field since high school

Goff? with, way, way, WAY more starts under his belt the past 6 years, cuz he actually didnt have to wait until his 5th year in college ... None at all

Champ has never responded to that cuz, well, he can’t

Drops mic

Just the facts boys, just the facts

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's really disappointing to me that you think that way. Goff actually had an outstanding game vs Atlanta. Some of his pocket work was devine. You're a smart guy and I think if you shedded your bias and focused on the nuances of Goffs game, you'd love him.

I know what yours going to say though. "Goff needs to choose which player to throw to in certain situations". Well, it's not him calling the plays. He gave Sammy Watkins two chances to be that number one receiver. He dropped both of them.

I trust in Goff and believe he's going to take the next step towards being an elite QB in 2018. You can continue to watch Wentz in awe but you better get used to seeing #16 in horns for a long, long time.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love to see Champs list of the top 20 NFL QBs right now.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
For me, I think Goff's skills are a given. The factor that defines him to me is his calm, mellow demeanor. That smooth, unshakeable calmness. If he can maintain that demeanor for the long haul.... he will be a superstar in this league. Mark my words.