GDT: Rams at Packers 4:30pm ET

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
We all know when we have the s@#t like AD and Goff just is not it.

Wish he was.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Short post and watch the tape.

Watch Wolf go thru progression reads ,then watch Goff.

Wolf again and again better reads. Jmho

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With all do respects, Goff is never going to be a win it all Qb,like certain Elites, Never.

He is what he is,an air raid Qb that has trouble with reads and progression. He did have a nice deep ball but didn't see it this year.

Imho if it wasn't for McVay he wouldn't have got a 2nd contract.
It's a very frustrating situation. When McVay came, they went out and got Whit, Sullivan and had Saffold. The offense clicked and Goff thrived. Unfortunately, Sullivan left, Saffold wasn't resigned and Whit has gotten old. The problem has been that they haven't went back to that blueprint for success. The line has fallen apart and they haven't fixed it.
It's a shame they haven't went back to what worked before.

They were happy enough with Goff to give him a top of the line contract earlier than they needed to. If Goff is not the guy, they made a major mistake giving him that contract. We run the same offense we did back then, but don't have the horses up front to pull it off. Either fix the line or change your scheme to fit the players you have. You can't just trot out the same losing formula every week and expect different results.

Our hurry up offense works very well, unfortunately we run it for a few plays and then go back to the same plodding, slow paced, predictable offense. Our WRs are usually covered because the defense knows what we are going to do. We could use our RBs and TEs more to change things up, but we usually don't.
The offense sucks but the blame can't all be placed on Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect the hell out of you as a poster and your insight is often second to none. But with all due respect, you're giving your own opinion on Goff. What I think Merlin is saying is that "we", as in the organization, knows that they have in Goff. Correct me if I'm wrong here @Merlin. Goff is going into his 6th year as an NFL quarterback, fourth straight year in this system, and if the Rams haven't figured out what they have in him then that's a huge concern.

I'm not offering my opinion. I've already said I don't know what Goff will be and that I think we should bring in a QB to push him who is capable of starting if he struggles. What I am saying is that nobody should feel confident they know what Goff is. I'm simply tired of making this point and having it be ignored. Pocket passers do not typically hit their primes until between 27 and 30 years old. Goff is 26 years old. He's not in the window yet.

So why am I frustrated? Because I've said this repeatedly for a couple years now. I've used examples. But people continue to tell me that they know better. Let me drive this point home. Here's a list of many of the franchise QB pocket passers from this generation. Take a look at their age-26 seasons. Take a look at the seasons that follow (the window where I have said pocket passers enter their primes). What you consistently see is a major jump in their numbers in that 27 years to 30 years old range:

With the elites, you have guys like Manning, Brees, and Brady going from putting up decent to good numbers to record-setting numbers. With Ben and Rivers, you have guys going from putting up mediocre numbers to being in the NFL MVP conversation. With guys like Stafford and Carr, you see their efficiency numbers spike after mediocre years. With Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Eli Manning, you see them go from being fringe starters you would prefer to replace to solid QBs capable of making the Pro Bowl.

Is this universally true? No. Matt Ryan is an example of a guy who, outside of a couple dominant years in his 30's, remained largely the same. But the vast majority of recent pocket passing franchise QBs have made that jump. And the consistent thing you see is their efficiency spiking at some point between 27 to 30 years old when compared to their age-26 season.

If you were one of the people who thought you knew exactly what those QBs were at age-26, let's just say you likely ended up being very wrong. I have repeatedly made this point and asked people to be patient, so yeah, I'm frustrated that it continues to be ignored. Pocket passing QBs do NOT peak in terms of mental acuity and skill at 26 years old.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's a shame Wolf didn't even last 5 quarters before he was put on the shelf.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've watched the tape and think you're dead wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not offering my opinion. I've already said I don't know what Goff will be and that I think we should bring in a QB to push him who is capable of starting if he struggles. What I am saying is that nobody should feel confident they know what Goff is. I'm simply tired of making this point and having it be ignored. Pocket passers do not typically hit their primes until between 27 and 30 years old. Goff is 26 years old. He's not in the window yet.

So why am I frustrated? Because I've said this repeatedly for a couple years now. I've used examples. But people continue to tell me that they know better. Let me drive this point home. Here's a list of many of the franchise QB pocket passers from this generation. Take a look at their age-26 seasons. Take a look at the seasons that follow (the window where I have said pocket passers enter their primes). What you consistently see is a major jump in their numbers in that 27 years to 30 years old range:

With the elites, you have guys like Manning, Brees, and Brady going from putting up decent to good numbers to record-setting numbers. With Ben and Rivers, you have guys going from putting up mediocre numbers to being in the NFL MVP conversation. With guys like Stafford and Carr, you see their efficiency numbers spike after mediocre years. With Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Eli Manning, you see them go from being fringe starters you would prefer to replace to solid QBs capable of making the Pro Bowl.

Is this universally true? No. Matt Ryan is an example of a guy who, outside of a couple dominant years in his 30's, remained largely the same. But the vast majority of recent pocket passing franchise QBs have made that jump. And the consistent thing you see is their efficiency spiking at some point between 27 to 30 years old when compared to their age-26 season.

If you were one of the people who thought you knew exactly what those QBs were at age-26, let's just say you likely ended up being very wrong. I have repeatedly made this point and asked people to be patient, so yeah, I'm frustrated that it continues to be ignored. Pocket passing QBs do NOT peak in terms of mental acuity and skill at 26 years old.

That all said, if Deshaun Watson actually became an option for us, would I pursue him? Fuck yes. Because I'd rather bet on a sure thing.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I was referencing your statement of "I don't think "we" do." That implies an opinion. To continue on the discussion, and that's what this is, you're using historical data to base your opinion on. I can appreciate that because, at the very least, it's an informed opinion. However, the issue with using numbers and statistics is that they don't tell the entire story. You can find instances that fit your narrative, as I'm only assuming you've done by selecting those specific QBs to support your opinion, but there is also a wealth of data out there disproving what you're claiming. I mean we can pull up every first round QB drafted since 2010 and look at that data but why would we? Again man, I'm not trying to argue with you but if you're going to quote stats and completely ignore all other factors (head coaching changes, team changes, OC changes, schematic changes, etc etc) those are obvious flaws in logic.

You believe that Goff has yet to peak, ok. You're entitled to that opinion as informed or blind as it may be. The only people who really know what the team thinks about Goff are those in the front office and the head coach. I will agree with you in saying that nobody should feel confident they know what Goff is. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that opinion doesn't need to be dissected or taken as personally as it has been on here.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time out to respond my man. All love!

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
It's a very frustrating situation. When McVay came, they went out and got Whit, Sullivan and had Saffold. The offense clicked and Goff thrived. Unfortunately, Sullivan left, Saffold wasn't resigned and Whit has gotten old. The problem has been that they haven't went back to that blueprint for success. The line has fallen apart and they haven't fixed it.
It's a shame they haven't went back to what worked before.

They were happy enough with Goff to give him a top of the line contract earlier than they needed to. If Goff is not the guy, they made a major mistake giving him that contract. We run the same offense we did back then, but don't have the horses up front to pull it off. Either fix the line or change your scheme to fit the players you have. You can't just trot out the same losing formula every week and expect different results.

Our hurry up offense works very well, unfortunately we run it for a few plays and then go back to the same plodding, slow paced, predictable offense. Our WRs are usually covered because the defense knows what we are going to do. We could use our RBs and TEs more to change things up, but we usually don't.
The offense sucks but the blame can't all be placed on Goff.
To be fair when McVay took over we had alot more cap than we do now so thats why we could go out and get Woods, Sully, Whit, Cooks, Peters, Talib and Watkins. Couldnt keep them all so they kept the ones they wanted to pay and only had enough cap left over to address a couple different positions. Unfortunately we still have cap tied up into a few that are no longer here. So now they have to decide to put available cap into the OL or use it to replace the defensive pieces we will be losing this year.

Cydekikk

UDFA
...If you were one of the people who thought you knew exactly what those QBs were at age-26, let's just say you likely ended up being very wrong. I have repeatedly made this point and asked people to be patient, so yeah, I'm frustrated that it continues to be ignored. Pocket passing QBs do NOT peak in terms of mental acuity and skill at 26 years old.
Well, despite being a member since 2014,I don’t frequent the forum as much as most, so this is the first I’ve seen of your QB-peak-between-27 to 30 argument... It’s an interesting statistic that appears to support your point quite well...

That said, I would argue that all those QBs you cited had shown on-field signs and flashes of their future greatness/elite status — such as excellent field vision, pocket presence, and ability to pull wins for their teams out of a vacuum, snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, etc. — in the years prior to 27... I haven’t seen anything like that out of Goff... He appears to have the physical talent and tools, just not the “It” factor (for lack of a better way of saying it)...

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair when McVay took over we had alot more cap than we do now so thats why we could go out and get Woods, Sully, Whit, Cooks, Peters, Talib and Watkins. Couldnt keep them all so they kept the ones they wanted to pay and only had enough cap left over to address a couple different positions. Unfortunately we still have cap tied up into a few that are no longer here. So now they have to decide to put available cap into the OL or use it to replace the defensive pieces we will be losing this year.
They have had enough money to sign free agents, they have just spent their money on the other side of the ball. In 2019 they signed Fowler, Mathews and Weddle. This last year, they signed Floyd, Robinson and then signed Brockers after his deal with Balt fell through.

They have seen the urgency to bulk up the DL, unfortunately they have whiffed on adding a difference on the OL. They do have cap issues now, they have spent the vast amount of their cap on glamour positions like WR, QB, DL and CB. They have spent a fortune on the WR position. They haven't spent squat on the OL. We don't have one Ol man that is above average. Adding to the OL worked wonders the first time, it's a shame they haven't done it again. I hope this year they wake up and see the importance of having a good OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

To add data to this, here are the jumps in passer rating from their age-26 seasons to the rest of their careers (27 years old forward):
Brees
Age-26 Season: 89.2
Rest of Career: 101.5
Differential: +12.3

Roethlisberger
Age-26 Season: 80.1
Rest of Career: 95.5
Differential: +15.4

Rivers
Age-26 Season: 82.4
Rest of Career: 96.3
Differential: +13.9

Brady
Age-26 Season: 85.9
Rest of Career: 99.2
Differential: +13.3

P. Manning
Age-26 Season: 88.8
Rest of Career: 101.0
Differential: +12.2

Stafford
Age-26 Season: 85.7
Rest of Career: 96.2
Differential: +10.5

Cousins
Age-26 Season: 86.4
Rest of Career: 100.5
Differential: +14.1

Smith
Age-26 Season: 82.1
Rest of Career: 92.9
Differential: +10.8

Carr
Rest of Career: 98.6

E. Manning
Age-26 Season: 73.9
Rest of Career: 87.2

That gives us a range of +10.5 to +15.4 for the 10 QBs. The mean is +12.8. The median is +12.75.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
They have had enough money to sign free agents, they have just spent their money on the other side of the ball. In 2019 they signed Fowler, Mathews and Weddle. This last year, they signed Floyd, Robinson and then signed Brockers after his deal with Balt fell through.

They have seen the urgency to bulk up the DL, unfortunately they have whiffed on adding a difference on the OL. They do have cap issues now, they have spent the vast amount of their cap on glamour positions like WR, QB, DL and CB. They have spent a fortune on the WR position. They haven't spent squat on the OL. We don't have one Ol man that is above average. Adding to the OL worked wonders the first time, it's a shame they haven't done it again. I hope this year they wake up and see the importance of having a good OL.
I'm with you I hope they address the OL in FA if not they will be relying on these guys to get better by next season. I think a couple of them will improve but will it be enough is the question

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To add data to this, here are the jumps in passer rating from their age-26 seasons to the rest of their careers (27 years old forward):
Brees
Age-26 Season: 89.2
Rest of Career: 101.5
Differential: +12.3

Roethlisberger
Age-26 Season: 80.1
Rest of Career: 95.5
Differential: +15.4

Rivers
Age-26 Season: 82.4
Rest of Career: 96.3
Differential: +13.9

Brady
Age-26 Season: 85.9
Rest of Career: 99.2

P. Manning
Age-26 Season: 88.8
Rest of Career: 101.0

Stafford
Age-26 Season: 85.7
Rest of Career: 96.2
Differential: +10.5

Cousins
Rest of Career: 100.5
Differential: +14.1

Smith
Age-26 Season: 82.1
Rest of Career: 92.9
Differential: +10.8

Carr
Rest of Career: 98.6

E. Manning
Age-26 Season: 73.9
Rest of Career: 87.2

That gives us a range of +10.5 to +15.4 for the 10 QBs. The mean is +12.8. The median is +12.75.
Thanks for the effort of putting that all together.(y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was referencing your statement of "I don't think "we" do." That implies an opinion. To continue on the discussion, and that's what this is, you're using historical data to base your opinion on. I can appreciate that because, at the very least, it's an informed opinion. However, the issue with using numbers and statistics is that they don't tell the entire story. You can find instances that fit your narrative, as I'm only assuming you've done by selecting those specific QBs to support your opinion, but there is also a wealth of data out there disproving what you're claiming. I mean we can pull up every first round QB drafted since 2010 and look at that data but why would we? Again man, I'm not trying to argue with you but if you're going to quote stats and completely ignore all other factors (head coaching changes, team changes, OC changes, schematic changes, etc etc) those are obvious flaws in logic.

You believe that Goff has yet to peak, ok. You're entitled to that opinion as informed or blind as it may be. The only people who really know what the team thinks about Goff are those in the front office and the head coach. I will agree with you in saying that nobody should feel confident they know what Goff is. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that opinion doesn't need to be dissected or taken as personally as it has been on here.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time out to respond my man. All love!

I gave you 10 different QBs. Each came from different circumstances. Yet, across the board, each made large jumps. There aren't "obvious flaws" in my logic. What I'm saying is quite rational. I haven't guaranteed Goff will make a jump. I even noted a QB who failed to make a jump (although, Matt Ryan's ROC PR did improve by +4.6 when compared to his age-26 season, a small jump). What I'm pointing out is a reality. It doesn't mean Goff's career will necessarily go that way, but it does mean that people should be a bit more patient. Pocket passers take longer to develop.

Well, despite being a member since 2014,I don’t frequent the forum as much as most, so this is the first I’ve seen of your QB-peak-between-27 to 30 argument... It’s an interesting statistic that appears to support your point quite well...

That said, I would argue that all those QBs you cited had shown on-field signs and flashes of their future greatness/elite status — such as excellent field vision, pocket presence, and ability to pull wins for their teams out of a vacuum, snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, etc. — in the years prior to 27... I haven’t seen anything like that out of Goff... He appears to have the physical talent and tools, just not the “It” factor (for lack of a better way of saying it)...

Goff's 2017 and 2018 seasons are good examples of that.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I gave you 10 different QBs. Each came from different circumstances. Yet, across the board, each made large jumps. There aren't "obvious flaws" in my logic. What I'm saying is quite rational. I haven't guaranteed Goff will make a jump. I even noted a QB who failed to make a jump (although, Matt Ryan's ROC PR did improve by +4.6 when compared to his age-26 season, a small jump). What I'm pointing out is a reality. It doesn't mean Goff's career will necessarily go that way, but it does mean that people should be a bit more patient. Pocket passers take longer to develop.

Goff's 2017 and 2018 seasons are good examples of that.
Cool man, again you’re entitled to your opinion. It’s informed but it’s just your opinion based on cherry picked stats. Doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things and I don’t really understand why you’re so invested in the subject. You obviously take issue with people having a difference in opinion. This is the issue with message boards, this one included. People who believe that their opinion is head and shoulders above anyone else’s. You won’t be hearing from me going forward. Take care.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool man, again you’re entitled to your opinion. It’s informed but it’s just your opinion based on cherry picked stats. Doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things and I don’t really understand why you’re so invested in the subject. You obviously take issue with people having a difference in opinion. This is the issue with message boards, this one included. People who believe that their opinion is head and shoulders above anyone else’s. You won’t be hearing from me going forward. Take care.

I take issue with a person who accuses me of cherry-picking stats without actually taking the time to demonstrate that I have done so. I put some effort into making these points, so no, I don't appreciate it when you accuse me of intellectual dishonesty without putting forth the same or similar effort into verifying that. I'm fine with not hearing from you going forward. Have a nice day.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I take issue with a person who accuses me of cherry-picking stats without actually taking the time to demonstrate that I have done so. I put some effort into making these points, so no, I don't appreciate it when you accuse me of intellectual dishonesty without putting forth the same or similar effort into verifying that. I'm fine with not hearing from you going forward. Have a nice day.
Lol what? “Intellectual dishonesty” because I told you that your logic was flawed because you picked 10 QBs to fit your narrative? Spare me. If you’re going to use your 27-30 age take to justify why the organization should be patient with Goff then show a complete and accurate representation of all QBs using whatever criteria you choose and their stats from that age range. If you’re not willing to do that and stick with only using 10 out of a total of who knows how many other QBs then your data is incomplete, cherry picked and therefore subject to immense scrutiny. It’d be similar to me going to a client and cherry picking 10 high performing investment portfolios that I’ve managed to sell the idea that I’m the best at my firm. It doesn’t quite work that way but I know there isn’t a thing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
All RoD GDT’s in a nutshell lol

1610930550936.png