GDT: Bradford takes swing at winning big game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lets give credit to Jay Gruden. He had the balls to stand up to and and bench RG3 to start Cousins. Jay Gruden knew what he had in Cousins. I can appreciate a story like that.

Gruden's done a nice job with the offense overall to include Cousins. They are well coached and maximize what they have. Also, Callahan is demonstrating once again the value of great coaching with the job he's done with that OL.

Rainram

Starter
Frankly, he's improved because when he came out, his feel and movement in the pocket were poor because of how well he was protected at Oklahoma. But he's never been the type of QB that deals well with being hit. His accuracy under pressure has always been spotty at best.

His time at Oklahoma absolutely did not adequately portray his play under pressure.

I love seeing QBs under pressure...as an evaluation component...I love it! That, as well as seeing how they perform in clutch moments and having to lead their team from behind (another form of pressure). There's a lot to be said for watching whole games, as opposed to just film. (just only so many hours in the day...especially for us working folks).

iced

still baffles me that fisher didn't go after bill callahan considering how much he wants to run the ball

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His time at Oklahoma absolutely did not adequately portray his play under pressure.

I love seeing QBs under pressure...as an evaluation component...I love it! That, as well as seeing how they perform in clutch moments and having to lead their team from behind (another form of pressure). There's a lot to be said for watching whole games, as opposed to just film. (just only so many hours in the day...especially for us working folks).

Film is supposed to be watching whole games. ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Final QB stats:

K. Cousins - 31/46 for 365 yds with 4 td's and 0 int's

S. Bradford - 37/56 for 380 yds with 1 td and 0 int's. Plus he was sacked 5 times.

A lot of dump-offs by Bradford but I don't blame him. You take what the D gives you. Lots of drops and other screw ups by the Eagles on both sides of the ball. Bradford looked good all things considered.

@Prime Time there were a lot of "garbage time" yards and completions, and that isn't the first time this year either. 380 yards on 56 attempts at 6.8 YPA is the equivalent of a RB getting 160 yards on 50 carries IMO.

@jrry32 I don't think he was ever aggressive in the NFL because he doesn't read defenses well enough to "see" what is going to happen and pick a spot to take a shot. Remember when he was calling the OL protections under McDaniels? He was getting himself killed because he did it wrong because he could decipher what the D was doing. They gave the line calls to the C and protection improved. You can't ruin something that wasn't there.

@BriansRams The Redskins were never going to let Cousins get away, he's been the best QB on the roster since they drafted him. Why would they let that get away?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 I don't think he was ever aggressive in the NFL because he doesn't read defenses well enough to "see" what is going to happen and pick a spot to take a shot. Remember when he was calling the OL protections under McDaniels? He was getting himself killed because he did it wrong because he could decipher what the D was doing. They gave the line calls to the C and protection improved. You can't ruin something that wasn't there.

I've never seen his field vision or ability to read defenses as major concerns. He generally identifies when a guy is going to get open. The issues have always been testing coverage down the field and throwing with pressure in his face.

Athos

Legend
@Prime Time there were a lot of "garbage time" yards and completions, and that isn't the first time this year either. 380 yards on 56 attempts at 6.8 YPA is the equivalent of a RB getting 160 yards on 50 carries IMO.

Oh bullshit dude. They have to use those short passes as an extension of the run game because their game is ducking terrible.

I'm sick of lecturing about this but there were, at least, a half dozen drops by Iggles receivers yesterday.

Not to mention a TD by Agholor when they were very much still in it, a perfect 40 yard bomb to Cooper which he "dropped."

And several more. So we have already about 60 additional yards just on those two drops.

That ups his yardage to 440 for a 7.8 average alone.

There was probably at least another, conservatively, 50 to 60 more yards left on the due to straight drops.

Sam should have had a 500 yard day. The Foreskins were getting torched.

Remind me again the piss poor game our miserable QBs had against the Skins with about the same kind of oline protection?

But whatever. Sam has his worts, every QB but the elite ones due, but with a healthy Sam, and an oline that didn't get depleted, we are in the goddamn playoffs.

It's still friggen hilarious we can even think about criticizing him when he comes back from almost two years of playing and looks better than the miserable trash we've had populating his position since his first ACL injury all while learning a new system trying to shake off the shit habits we taught him under incompetent offensive coaches and offensive philosophies.

MountainRam

Rookie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but over the last two seasons, did we not have a fairly good chance of trying to acquire, and getting Kirk Cousins on the Rams?
He's not too bad at all.

Lets not assume this coaching staff knows how to develop a QB. Cousins career would have been a perinnel backup had he landed here.

Athos

Legend
Lets not assume this coaching staff knows how to develop a QB. Cousins career would have been a perinnel backup had he landed here.

Yep. Unlike Gruden, we'd have forced Cousins into an old archaic offensive style or yea, just had him on the bench forever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but over the last two seasons, did we not have a fairly good chance of trying to acquire, and getting Kirk Cousins on the Rams?
He's not too bad at all.

There were rumors he was available. :(

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Oh believe me, I'm not defending SB only stating the stats from that game. I'm glad he's moved on to another team so I don't have to cringe every time he drops back to pass. That alone was worth the trade for Foles.

Still it wasn't his fault that he was offered the last huge QB contract his rookie year, or that he was repeatedly injured, or that he was surrounded by a less than stellar supporting cast. But I see him as one of those QB's who have to have everything go almost perfectly in order to play his best and win a game. That game last night was not one of those occasions.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How many of those 38 points did Bradford give up last night?:sneaky:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh bullcrap dude. They have to use those short passes as an extension of the run game because their game is ducking terrible.

I'm sick of lecturing about this but there were, at least, a half dozen drops by Iggles receivers yesterday.

Not to mention a TD by Agholor when they were very much still in it, a perfect 40 yard bomb to Cooper which he "dropped."

And several more. So we have already about 60 additional yards just on those two drops.

There was probably at least another, conservatively, 50 to 60 more yards left on the due to straight drops.

Remind me again the pee pee poor game our miserable QBs had against the Skins with about the same kind of oline protection?

But whatever. Sam has his worts, every QB but the elite ones due, but with a healthy Sam, and an oline that didn't get depleted, we are in the goddamn playoffs.

It's still friggen hilarious we can even think about criticizing him when he comes back from almost two years of playing and looks better than the miserable trash we've had populating his position since his first ACL injury all while learning a new system trying to shake off the crap habits we taught him under incompetent offensive coaches and offensive philosophies.

You're not being objective.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh bullcrap dude. They have to use those short passes as an extension of the run game because their game is ducking terrible.

Remind me again the pee pee poor game our miserable QBs had against the Skins with about the same kind of oline protection?

It's still friggen hilarious we can even think about criticizing him when he comes back from almost two years of playing and looks better than the miserable trash we've had populating his position since his first ACL injury all while learning a new system trying to shake off the crap habits we taught him under incompetent offensive coaches and offensive philosophies.

You're not being objective.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've never seen his field vision or ability to read defenses as major concerns. He generally identifies when a guy is going to get open. The issues have always been testing coverage down the field and throwing with pressure in his face.

The major concern with him coming out of college was reading defenses because he never had to do it in college.

And his pro career sort of underscores that too.