Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
There were some questionable calls with at least 4 sacks in the beginning of the year. One was clearly against the new rules, but dang if he didn't lose like half of his sacks on pedantic interpretations of the rules when others got away with murder early.

As far as getting to the QB, his production outside of some technique work was much closer to 8-9 sacks and that's without the DL that we have.

If we get him, I won't be upset, but I'd rather work on getting Groy and CJ signed.

That is very true and I did not take that into consideration. I just don't like signing older players, yeah a couple of the guys we signed ended up working out but I wouldn't push our luck in terms of expecting production from a player that is 32 going on 33 years old in the NFL. The Draft this year is loaded with OLB's and Dline talent, I know McVay doesn't trust rookies but there are plenty of them that come out as rookies and get 8 to 10 sacks a year and can be just as productive. We have some major holes on our D that needs attention but I trust we'll be ready next year to make another run. It's gonna be fun!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Couple things guys my first choice wouldn't be clay but in fairness things were bad last year in GB all around. I think 2 or 3 more sacks could be tacked on to his numbers with the whole qb rule fiasco lol. As far as the player himself he really didn't have much pass rush around him so people keyed on him... would still have it's advantages his influence on Obo Fowler and others might alone make it worth it, his work ethic included, but with teams focusing on Donald Fowler he might be even more effective here.

As far as the cap same websites reporting if rams want they could tinker with Donald's contract and cooks and free up almost 14 million more???? Any cap dude want to explain? They actually claim it's advantageous to the player cause they get lumps sums which we all know and other ways include brockers whit extensions and signing peters to extension which the Lata I'm definitely not ready to do just yet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d rather sign Moyowa.

Regarding ILB Snead said that they still are interested in Mark Barron. They are letting him test Free Agency to see what kind of deal he may get.

Translation: They want him to see that he isn’t worth as much as he was being paid so they want him on a cheaper contract.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Couple things guys my first choice wouldn't be clay but in fairness things were bad last year in GB all around. I think 2 or 3 more sacks could be tacked on to his numbers with the whole qb rule fiasco lol. As far as the player himself he really didn't have much pass rush around him so people keyed on him... would still have it's advantages his influence on Obo Fowler and others might alone make it worth it, his work 6 ethic included, but with teams focusing on Donald Fowler he might be even more effective here.

As far as the cap same websites reporting if rams want they could tinker with Donald's contract and cooks and free up almost 14 million more???? Any cap dude want to explain? They actually claim it's advantageous to the player cause they get lumps sums which we all know and other ways include brockers whit extensions and signing peters to extension which the Lata I'm definitely not ready to do just yet.

I was asking Bonify the same thing. I expect the Rams to make some adjustments on contracts and maybe get a guy signed liked Peters to free up some of that 9mil in cap room he is eating up. But those things take time because of agents, players, etc etc. 8.77 mil on our hard cap isn't a lot to play with esp with 5 to 6 mil already allocated to our draft class that only leaves us with around 4 to 5 mil to play with. That's tight AF.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The dude had 4 sacks last year. I dunno, he's over the hill from the looks of it. Might be a good backup but not a starter, at least not any better than the guys we currently have on the roster. i say pass.

Put him on a Super Bowl roster with a chance to make a deep playoff run, next to Aaron Donald, and what would he be for us? If he's cheap, bring him in man. He can still be a difference maker and he's a strong locker room presence type and you can't have too many of those. Short term with incentives for a chance to win it all.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That is very true and I did not take that into consideration. I just don't like signing older players, yeah a couple of the guys we signed ended up working out but I wouldn't push our luck in terms of expecting production from a player that is 32 going on 33 years old in the NFL. The Draft this year is loaded with OLB's and Dline talent, I know McVay doesn't trust rookies but there are plenty of them that come out as rookies and get 8 to 10 sacks a year and can be just as productive. We have some major holes on our D that needs attention but I trust we'll be ready next year to make another run. It's gonna be fun!

The difference with a vet like Clay Matthews versus a rook who might get 8-10 sacks is that Clay has a well rounded game, can play the run and can cover...some.

Also, he was MUCH, MUCH better inside than out and we have our starting Edge tandem in Fowler and Ebukam. So, while Clay Matthews could play outside, he'd be taking snaps from Kiser and honestly, at this point in Kiser's career, Matthews would be a pretty big upgrade.

I just don't know if the cost is our OL depth. I'd rather have Kiser and be able to get someone like Groy. Now, if they can do both, great.

I'm super not worried about the Goff contract. I know they'll get it worked out, he'll make a GAZILLION dollars AND the Rams will be able to sign guys.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I’d rather sign Moyowa.

Regarding ILB Snead said that they still are interested in Mark Barron. They are letting him test Free Agency to see what kind of deal he may get.

Translation: They want him to see that he isn’t worth as much as he was being paid so they want him on a cheaper contract.

Barron is a tough call. His production picked up big time in the playoffs. Maybe it took half the season to knock off the rust and get completely healthy. However, he did play out of position A LOT and other teams will see that which will reduce his value. I loved the guy a couple of years ago but he was playing out position in Wades D. I'd like to see him as more of a center fielder in between the LB's and Safeties like Johnson was playing towards the end of the year. I think he would excel there. He's too big to play Safety and too small to play ILB.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Even if they bring Barron back on the cheap he probably isn't going to be here for too much longer. He'll be that cheap vet they have holding it down in case the draft doesn't go their way at the position.

I'll be surprised if they bring him back. And his agent should be smart enough to steer him to a 4-3 team and a WILL assignment. I have to assume that's the case and that is happening.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I hope not, unless it’s for a 6th round pick or less. I think the Rams need their picks. They will have more holes in a year or two and an expensive QB eating up cap space, so replacing players with expensive free agents will be tougher. They stand to lose, Talib, Peters, Weddle, Whitworth, Fowler and Woods over the next two years. That’s a lot of important positions not to have backed up with young talent. 2 corners, 1 Safety, one Olineman, Edge Rusher and Receiver, and all are good players.
As evidenced by injury, I think the need for depth in those positions increases the relative value of what picks remain for the Rams as well, considering their recent spending spree in that area.

The media tends to focus on starters, but depth tends to be underrated regarding rotational strength and special teams as well.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
After watching Barron's coverage in the playoffs I saw him grabbing so much jersey, I thought he played for the other team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Barron is a tough call. His production picked up big time in the playoffs. Maybe it took half the season to knock off the rust and get completely healthy. However, he did play out of position A LOT and other teams will see that which will reduce his value. I loved the guy a couple of years ago but he was playing out position in Wades D. I'd like to see him as more of a center fielder in between the LB's and Safeties like Johnson was playing towards the end of the year. I think he would excel there. He's too big to play Safety and too small to play ILB.

I was surprised to read that they wanted him back. I agree that he is not a great fit. But keeping him as opposed to signing a FA saves them a Comp pick. Also they may feel he is a better option than what is on the roster. Which is disappointing if true. But he did play well in the playoffs. Maybe they wonder like you, if it just took time to knock the rust off.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
How are the niners stealing players at bargain prices yet they have millions to play with its pissing me off....then you see saints sign brown for 5 million wtf......it feels helpless just irritating me. I know there's tons of time obviously but hate seeing the teams I hate improve with bargains ...if I recall eagles and saints combined had less cap room than us yet they are adjusting and bringing people in best they can. Man hope this is part of some master plan.