Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Yeah, no thanks on Kline. He's a bad run blocker, which is pretty damn important to us. Think we rated as the top run blocking team in the league last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Titans released RG Josh Kline.
Kline was entering the second year of a four-year, $26 million extension. The Titans asked him to take a pay cut, but Kline declined and now gets his walking papers. If designated a post-June 1 cut, Kline's cut clears $4.25 million in cap space. Kline already had $2 million of his $5.75 million 2019 salary guaranteed. He was Pro Football Focus' No. 69 guard out of 81 qualifiers last season.

This opens up another SFA OG for Snead & Kromer to examine, who can fit in well in Kromers classic outside zone running scheme but Kline was part of a underperforming OL last season for OC Matt LaFleur's zone scheme. The 29 year old Josh Kline has many years of starts @ both LG & RG (80 games & 65 starts). We may see this name again very shortly.
Reading Titans fans talk about I don’t think he’s a fit. He’s a power blocking guy that struggled big time last year as they switched to a zone scheme.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Reading Titans fans talk about I don’t think he’s a fit. He’s a power blocking guy that struggled big time last year as they switched to a zone scheme.
In truth there's no much left out there that might be affordable here that not broken (physically or Mentally) worn-out or just not a fit for Kromer's scheme. Scrapping the bottom of the 20 yr old barrel left out in the rain will get you................. Do the current Rams likely reserve OG prospects of Jamil Demby & Aaron Neary look better than Kline? How do we fill about Darrell Williams or Kyle Murphy being our game day OT backups to replace Whitworth?

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In truth there's no much left out there that might be affordable here that not broken (physically or Mentally) worn-out or just not a fit for Kromer's scheme.
I agree but I’d rather a broken/rebuild guy than a guy that at his best isn’t a scheme fit. Actually I’d rather a draft pick on the oline at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree but I’d rather a broken/rebuild guy than a guy that at his best isn’t a scheme fit. Actually I’d rather a draft pick on the oline at this point.
This is what I have been moving too this last week. I do not like what I see out there @ this time @ all. Waste of time IMO to really try to go to work & use these available current OL'ers. They are just not up to Kromer's standards that he needs in the future.

Being forced to draft OL'ers to play major roles in our 2019 OL is not a good place to be in this season. That said, I have been in hundreds of very bad places & positions in my lifetime. I have worked through them & survive them.

A ready to start ZBS OG prospect is skyrocketing up in my Ram draft needs. In general, Kromer OL scheme permits Snead to wait later in the draft for offensive linemen, as there are many “smaller” offensive lineman playing in the spread that can operate effectively in the zone scheme.

However, I would not be surprised if Snead goes after a premium left tackle that might fall to us early in the first round. If there is an LT is both big and agile, it will allow Kromer to mix up schemes within the game in the future, allowing the Rams to dictate the run game better.
I am still not over the SB & the way that Bill was able to figure out & totally defeat :death:Kromers running ZBS so easy.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still think we should sign Ryan Groy.
Yes, that is one who I have little issues with but I do not like him @ center. His performance @ Center has been really bad.

IMO Groy would be a better fit next to Havenstein @ RG. If those two messed well on that right side then Kromer could then see if 2018 starting OG Blythe could be plugged in starting @ LG (IMO better for him than RG). Kromer then can use Brian Allen as the starter @ center back up by Aaron Neary.

Now Kromer can rework & revise his important 2018 "Keep Andrew Whitworth Rested/Fresh for Playoffs" Plan. In 2019 Kromer will keep Noteboom tied into the LT post & remaining game day swing OT for this season. This is important! It would also take the pressure off Jamil Demby's early utilization before he is ready.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yes, that is one who I have little issues with but I do not like him @ center. His performance @ Center has been really bad.

IMO Groy would be a better fit next to Havenstein @ RG. If those two messed well on that right side then Kromer could then see if 2018 starting OG Blythe could be plugged in starting @ LG (IMO better for him than RG). Kromer then can use Brian Allen as the starter @ center back up by Aaron Neary.

Now Kromer can rework & revise his important 2018 "Keep Andrew Whitworth Rested/Fresh for Playoffs" Plan. In 2019 Kromer will keep Noteboom tied into the LT post & remaining game day swing OT for this season. This is important! It would also take the pressure off Jamil Demby's early utilization before he is ready.

where-head-is-at-12.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...troit-lions-free-agency-restricted-free-agent
Los Angeles Rams RB Malcolm Brown visiting the Detroit Lions
Could the restricted free agent poaching begin?

By Sosa Kremenja

1067724828.jpg.0.jpg

The poaching could potentially begin among the Los Angeles Rams’ restricted free agents as RB Malcolm Brown is visiting the Detroit Lions today, per Ben Volin:

I'm told the Lions have a couple of players in for free agent visits: Former Saints WR/KR Tommylee Lewis and former Rams RB Malcolm Brown

— Ben Volin (@BenVolin) March 15, 2019
Brown has been with the Rams since 2015 when he entered the league as an undrafted free agent. Brown worked his way up into a meaningful role the past two seasons as the primary backup to RB Todd Gurley. Even though he only appeared in 12 games in 2018, Brown actually had a productive season as he maneuvered his way to 212 rushing yards (4.9 yards-per-carry) and 52 receiving yards. He also had a spectacular receiving touchdown where he toe-tapped the sidelines.

In early December, Brown was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury that effectively ended his season. The Rams ended up signing RB C.J. Anderson who had a fantastic finish to the year as Gurley’s health was limiting him.

The issue at play isn’t that Brown isn’t a replaceable talent, it’s that the recent health scares of Gurley’s knee are a major factor at hand. The Rams will need a suitable backup who can shoulder some of the load moving forward, and the only current running backs on the Rams’ roster are second-year RB John Kelly, and third-year UDFA Justin Davis.

As for Brown, he’s a restricted free agent this offseason, and the Rams tendered him with an original-round tender. That means the Lions are allowed to sign him to a contract, but the Rams have the right to match it and retain his services. If the Rams choose to let Brown leave, they wont receive any compensation. And if the Lions choose not to offer him a contract, he’ll return to the Rams by default.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many had him a nice fit for the Rams on the edge. I was one of them...

Could Rams be going with the roster guys?
If we start ebukam again we're in some trouble . Not just because he's a below average pass rusher, but because we don't even have Suh to put pressure up the middle . Donald would be triple teamed to hell .

Ram65

Legend
If we start ebukam again we're in some trouble . Not just because he's a below average pass rusher, but because we don't even have Suh to put pressure up the middle . Donald would be triple teamed to hell .

Your right. There are still questions the entire front seven group. Still a long way to go before the season but, I hope we see some help soon. We could see some help in the draft. Les has some work to do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man, we should have been in on him.

He was at his best at Center when Kromer was there.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually I’d rather a draft pick on the oline at this point.

Agree. You build the team from the lines out. We have 5 picks in rounds 3-6.... rams can draft a very good o-lineman in these rounds, maybe even pick up another after that (UFA?). Same for d-line.