Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This is what I think...build from the draft! Bump overpaying these FAs.

If you can't do it in the draft look for it in the preseason cuts. You can kill your team and ruin your cap space overpaying players.
This coming season our draft from last year will really start paying off. Brian Allen, Joe Noteboom, Jamil Demby, Micah Kiser, JFM, and maybe even Obo.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are too optimistic. If Fowler is offered too much then Clowney will be too. No way I’d trade a first for the possibility of a one year rental. Why not save the pick and sign Fowler long term. Clowney doesn’t dominate like he did in college. Sure, he’s good but 9.5 sacks isnt something to lose your mind over

I think if we traded for Clowney we would re-sign him immediately - similar to how the Niners did with Dee Ford. I'm assuming it would be a stipulation where the trade wouldn't happen unless he re-signed.

We have the cap space to front load that contract over three years, even with Goff's upcoming contract.

Then next year we would still have 10 draft picks to fill out the roster.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we make another move guys .That's okay, we're still incredibly built .

dang

Legend
The NFL is tough . Players are one play away from a career ending injury. Quick, heartless financial decisions are made to cut someone that has been a valued/loyal member of the "family" for years. While this can also happen in the general business world its much quicker and more dramatic in the NFL.

The Rams are in need of quality depth in most positions and need a new starter at ILB, OC. DT and EDGE. With that said - every player has to be evaluated on the cost/benefit of retention. Looking at Spotrac the following players look to be candidates in leveling their cost when compared to their benefit:

Michael Brockers - $11m/$750k dead cap
Marcus Peters - $9m/$0 dead cap
Blake Countess - $2m/$0 dead cap
Troy Hill - $2m/$0 dead cap

At the risk of sounding heartless, I wonder what the Rams could do in the 2nd wave of FA with the $23m aligned with these players. A hypothetical scenario (which may already be too late by this post time):

Bryce Callahan/CB - $7m
Zach Brown/ILB - $7m
Danny Shelton/NT - $5m
CJ Anderson/RB - $4m

Thoughts?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL is tough . Players are one play away from a career ending injury. Quick, heartless financial decisions are made to cut someone that has been a valued/loyal member of the "family" for years. While this can also happen in the general business world its much quicker and more dramatic in the NFL.

The Rams are in need of quality depth in most positions and need a new starter at ILB, OC. DT and EDGE. With that said - every player has to be evaluated on the cost/benefit of retention. Looking at Spotrac the following players look to be candidates in leveling their cost when compared to their benefit:

Michael Brockers - $11m/$750k dead cap
Marcus Peters - $9m/$0 dead cap
Blake Countess - $2m/$0 dead cap
Troy Hill - $2m/$0 dead cap

At the risk of sounding heartless, I wonder what the Rams could do in the 2nd wave of FA with the $23m aligned with these players. A hypothetical scenario (which may already be too late by this post time):

Bryce Callahan/CB - $7m
Zach Brown/ILB - $7m
Danny Shelton/NT - $5m
CJ Anderson/RB - $4m

Thoughts?
They could do that but it seems highly unlikely. I think we're more comfortable with the devils we know.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow Niners have a very high priced backfield full of jags. McKinnon and Coleman are very similar add in Brieda and one of the highest paid FB. Seems like they would have been better off paying more to Bell.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They seem to be repeating last years FA run. I know Shanny has some history with him but how many RBs does one team need?
IMO Coleman is a much better back than any of the other guys they have. Probably the best backup RB in the league the last four years who could have been a star by now if not for his situation in Atlanta behind Freeman.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
IMO Coleman is a much better back than any of the other guys they have. Probably the best backup RB in the league the last four years who could have been a star by now if not for his situation in Atlanta behind Freeman.
Wasn’t the same thing said about McKinnon though? They’ve already sunk a ton of money in him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn’t the same thing said about McKinnon though? They’ve already sunk a ton of money in him.

McKinnon is nowhere near the rb Coleman is and the Vikings never felt comfortable with him carrying the load. Coleman had no problem being the guy when freeman was out injured for games on end.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Similar production yeah. I like Coleman. Seems like a better fit in their offense too.

As far as the money goes, i think the Niners continue to be really stupid with it in FA. Coleman was a bargain though IMO.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
McKinnon is nowhere near the rb Coleman is and the Vikings never felt comfortable with him carrying the load. Coleman had no problem being the guy when freeman was out injured for games on end.

But that’s my point. They got McKinnon last year on a big contract. But if Coleman is better why bother keeping McKinnon? They’re especially the same RB. Now you’re paying for two RBs with the same skill set and another guy who’s better then both of them as your starter. Seems kinda redundant that’s all.