Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It's devalued because, for the coming year you take a loss. In this case a good pass rusher on a defense that needs talent now. A second round pick this year would be more valuable to immediately the void created by losing Ford. Having to wait a full year to get a return is clearly not as good of an option. So to quantify it, it's like a third round pick, because they are short for a year.

Sure, it could be the same quality player but by your account a second round pick five years from now is just as valuable. It's not.
I didn't mean to say that it wasn't less valuable as just that the idea that it's equal to a round lower the current year is illogical.

For one, the formula falls apart as soon as the draft is over. There would be a whole year to go, but you can't say the pick is equal to a third round pick if only we had it last week. For example, the Rams tested a third for Fowler. It's ridiculous to say the 2019 third round pick is equal to a second round pick in 2018, because the time to use it is passed. It has its own unique value to the organization.

And it's the same for the other picks during or before the draft. If I'm trading assets I don't care about, taking a 2 next year if better than a 3 this year. The traded player may not be a part of this year's plans anyway, so I'll take a higher pick next year rather than the immediate gratification of getting them this year. Also, player contacts go up every year, but rookies are still extra cheap. Delaying the pick actually saves me money by giving me more cheap assets when player contracts are higher and the salary cap had increased, which maximizes my another to spend on free agency.

There's a "cost" to it for sure, but saying next year's X round pick is equal to this year's X-1 round pick isn't taking all the data into account. It works ok for a trade value chart for picks to picks trades, but falls apart when scrutinized or used for 7th round future picks.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As far as the money goes, i think the Niners continue to be really stupid with it in FA. Coleman was a bargain though IMO.

Yeah their roster cost for those three is comical. It's a position you can get in every draft ffs.

I mean I'm sure they'd criticize us for signing Gurley. But at least we paid a guy who deserved the money. Their approach overall in FA is very bad and if they're not careful will get the both of them fired.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
But that’s my point. They got McKinnon last year on a big contract. But if Coleman is better why bother keeping McKinnon? They’re especially the same RB. Now you’re paying for two RBs with the same skill set and another guy who’s better then both of them as your starter. Seems kinda redundant that’s all.
I believe April 1st is decision day for keeping McKinnon. They could try to trade him, though I'm not sure anyone would take his contract. They also got burned by a ton of injuries at RB last year, so they may feel like they need to hang onto all of the guys they have. They aren't hurting for cap space.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We may not be done but who out there is a positional upgrade? There are none of the FAs left that are better than what we had excluding Justin Houston and he is getting old.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We may not be done but who out there is a positional upgrade? There are none of the FAs left that are better than what we had excluding Justin Houston and he is getting old.

I think the idea of the secondary FA market is to shore up your worst holes and try to remove that extreme need before the draft. We don't need to upgrade at every position. Just try to keep that floor from dropping and then keep building by drafting some difference makers.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Benson Mayowa anyone? He has given us trouble....

I am very excited about the secondary FA market. There are number of solid Edge players, not least J Houston. Might we add a player like Tre Boston on the cheap to pad out a stacked secondary? There is a lot of solid depth at safety, if we want another vet. How about CJ, his market doesn’t look great. He looks even bigger already, so a one year, incentive laden deal might be possible. I don’t see an ILB outside of Barron who might fit, so perhaps the draft is the place to fill that hole. Where do we turn for OL depth, again the draft looks more likely

Finally, we can expect some very good vets to shake loose between the draft and season. We have some late round capital to trade for such a player, depending on cap space

Question, would we receive draft compensation if Suh leaves in FA, which looks very likely

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ee-agency-roster-transactions-signings-rumors
With free agency beginning, Los Angeles Rams don’t have much money to spend
Don’t expect any huge moves on the market today.
Free agency
begins today following the two-day tampering period and a ton of rumors across the NFL. Los Angeles Rams, we’ve already announced the signing of S Eric Weddle and the tender of nine free agents who were either restricted free agents or exclusive rights free agents. The Rams also were able to come to terms with EDGE Dante Fowler, Jr., who will likely sign the deal today and make his return official on a one-year deal.But for fans looking for another splashy deal, they’re likely to be disappointed today as the Rams simply don’t have much money to work with moving forward.

OverTheCap has the Rams with $8,767,895 remaining in cap space while Spotrac puts the number at $9,563,193. Factoring in somewhere around $7.5m for the Rams’ 2019 NFL Draft class, and you’re not talking about a ton of available funds.

The Rams could always churn the back half of the roster for some available money. And restructuring some existing deals is always an option. But for the most part, the Rams are just about done in free agency just as we’re beginning.

But the rest of those options offer a possible way forward over the next week or two. Backup QB remains a pretty severe roster gap. As expensive as it can be to fill with a veteran, the Rams are likely to fill it with a draft pick or UDFA along with the deep FA waters perhaps to be stocked by some AAF players. While RB C.J. Anderson’s production late in the regular season and into the playoffs has made him popular among the fan base, I’m not sure it would be a prudent move especially now that the Rams have tendered RB Malcolm Brown.

So I’d look at a couple of Rams from 2018: DE Dominique Easley, ILB Bryce Hager, CB Sam Shields, DE Ethan Westbrooks and ILB Ramik Wilson. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams brought one of those guys back.

I’d also allow some expectation for the Rams to find one of those types on the market the way they did with Wilson and Shields last year. But a CB Cody Sensbaugh or OLB Connor Barwin, like the Weddle signing, is too expensive at this point.

That’s not a bad thing either despite how uncomfortable it might feel to some fans. The Rams are spending more than $40m on a half dozen players they had in 2018. That’s essentially where their salary cap went this year.So fret not. The roster’s in great shape for years to come. If the Rams can draft well with their primary draft capital this year and next, there’s no reason to think the roster will inhibit their ability to win But as things stand heading into free agency today, the Rams aren’t likely to do much to attract attention.For a team coming out of the Super Bowl, that’s just fine.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Brandon marshal and clay matthews would make this defense alot better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.12up.com/posts/6319701-...ws?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]
Rams Reportedly Interested in Signing Packers Free Agent LB Clay Matthews
BY Karl Rasmussen14 Mar 2019

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-packer-clay-matthews-wade-phillips-a-big-fan

Rams Rumors: LA Interested in Ex-Packer Clay Matthews; Wade Phillips a 'Big Fan'
Tim DanielsMarch 14, 2019

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/rams-among-teams-interested-in-clay-matthews/487815
Rams reportedly among teams interested in Clay Matthews
March 14, 2019
by Steve DelVecchio

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake

The dude had 4 sacks last year. I dunno, he's over the hill from the looks of it. Might be a good backup but not a starter, at least not any better than the guys we currently have on the roster. i say pass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.12up.com/posts/6319701-...ws?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]
Rams Reportedly Interested in Signing Packers Free Agent LB Clay Matthews
BY Karl Rasmussen14 Mar 2019

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-packer-clay-matthews-wade-phillips-a-big-fan

Rams Rumors: LA Interested in Ex-Packer Clay Matthews; Wade Phillips a 'Big Fan'
Tim DanielsMarch 14, 2019

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/rams-among-teams-interested-in-clay-matthews/487815
Rams reportedly among teams interested in Clay Matthews
March 14, 2019

by Steve DelVecchio
What state do they film all those State Farm TV & Gillette Fusion Commercial's in?
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/75o0/gillette-fusion-proglide-conditions-featuring-clay-matthews

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The dude had 4 sacks last year. I dunno, he's over the hill from the looks of it. Might be a good backup but not a starter, at least not any better than the guys we currently have on the roster. i say pass.

There were some questionable calls with at least 4 sacks in the beginning of the year. One was clearly against the new rules, but dang if he didn't lose like half of his sacks on pedantic interpretations of the rules when others got away with murder early.

As far as getting to the QB, his production outside of some technique work was much closer to 8-9 sacks and that's without the DL that we have.

If we get him, I won't be upset, but I'd rather work on getting Groy and CJ signed.