Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love it but demoff would really have to be a magician to afford him.

We could make it work. Clowney + Donald? Yes, please.

How would you do it differently? It can’t be too complicated. It’s similar to the draft pick value chart. That isn’t accurate because in one year round two can suck and another round two can be loaded.

It’s just like saying a late second is like a top of the third pick. From year to year that can be great or suck.

But for simplification it’s a guideline. I agree with degrading a second next year to a third. If a good team has to wait a year it hurts them as much as a bad team wanting to improve sooner. For GMs it is very important to show progress each year. Otherwise they can be fired.

It's difficult for it to not be a case-by-case basis. For example, would you trade #31 for NE's 2020 1st? I would not. Would I trade #31 for NYG's 2020 1st? Yes, I would. Thus, it's difficult to have an absolute rule. It depends on the expected quality of the draft, the expected quality of the teams making the deal, and how far in the future the pick is.

I hope not, unless it’s for a 6th round pick or less. I think the Rams need their picks. They will have more holes in a year or two and an expensive QB eating up cap space, so replacing players with expensive free agents will be tougher. They stand to lose, Talib, Peters, Weddle, Whitworth, Fowler and Woods over the next two years. That’s a lot of important positions not to have backed up with young talent. 2 corners, 1 Safety, one Olineman, Edge Rusher and Receiver, and all are good players.

Eh, Clowney is worth it. I wouldn't trade a first, though.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The deals for thomas, joyner ,honey badger and Collins make weddles deal look even better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Clowney has 9 sacks and 16 tackles for loss in 2018.

He had 9.5 sacks and 21 TFL in 2019. (His best year)

That’s with J.J. Watt on the line with him.

No way I’d give a high pick for him. He’ll likely be a free agent and may bring a third round comp pick but that isn’t worth a 1st or even a third this year imo. I’d give a 6th, maybe a 5th. Or like a 5th and 7th.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Clowney AD and Fowler? Wtf lol. Our first round pick is essentially a 2nd rounder. If we can get away with it I say go for it.
Is this his last year of his contract?

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
True but Brown is faster. I’m excited to see Kiser if Wade trusts him as the guy though.

He lead the team in tackles during preseason & showed some cover skills as well. Can put pressure on a QB coming up the middle. I believe he will have to be the QB on defense though which would have been a lot to ask from him last season.
Who was the backup Mic guy last season ??
Weddle & Talib will be huge in the backfield.
Pleasant love for his guys to talk and read the offensive plays.

dang

Legend
Clowney AD and Fowler? Wtf lol. Our first round pick is essentially a 2nd rounder. If we can get away with it I say go for it.
Is this his last year of his contract?
Please explain how the Rams could possibly afford Clowney with $9.5m cap space available. Who are you willing to release to get him?

dang

Legend
He lead the team in tackles during preseason & showed some cover skills as well. Can put pressure on a QB coming up the middle. I believe he will have to be the QB on defense though which would have been a lot to ask from him last season.
Who was the backup Mic guy last season ??
Weddle & Talib will be huge in the backfield.
Pleasant love for his guys to talk and read the offensive plays.
Rams prefer to pick up discards so this plays into their hands. I would do this in a heartbeat if we could get him for $5m or less/year. Much better than Brandon Marshall.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope not, unless it’s for a 6th round pick or less. I think the Rams need their picks. They will have more holes in a year or two and an expensive QB eating up cap space, so replacing players with expensive free agents will be tougher. They stand to lose, Talib, Peters, Weddle, Whitworth, Fowler and Woods over the next two years. That’s a lot of important positions not to have backed up with young talent. 2 corners, 1 Safety, one Olineman, Edge Rusher and Receiver, and all are good players.

Woods signed a five year deal, so he's got three more years left.

If we made this trade for Clowney, we would sign him long term, which would make losing Fowler not an issue.

Because of how much money he will cost, my guess is we trade a 1st, a late pick and a player - leaving us with all of next years' picks intact.

Even after re-signing Clowney, and extending Goff/Kupp/JJ/Littleton next year, we would have enough money to franchise Peters if needed.

And with comp picks coming in, we're looking at 10 draft picks next year - so I think we can trade for him and be fine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was told by a Redskins fan that’s he’s great vs the run but can’t cover to save his life.
Redskins released ILB Zach Brown.

30 yr old Brown is now on the Snead SFA list.

However Brown has an unbelievable elevated ultra high over-inflated value of his worth.:eek::blah: plus there was all the 2018 background noise in Washington after Brown’s weird social-media saga where he apparently sounded off against the team, making it seem like he won’t be back. Okay he was right:).

Last edited: