Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He was afraid that if he signed a one-year franchise tag, that the Steelers would intentionally overuse him, and shorten his career. He's paranoid, but it's his career. And given the incredibly small amount of guaranteed money he was offered by the Steelers in the contract they offered before the franchise tag - he might be right. In any case, he has enough guaranteed money now to live high on the hog in his retirement if he's not foolish (yes, that's a longshot)

At his age, if he'd had a season ending injury even like Thomas... a broken leg and not ligament damage... he'd be lucky to get a one year deal and if he blew the lid off the league after that, get a middling deal.

heck, look at how LeGarrette Blount fared... dude was close to the league lead in yards, TDs and won Super Bowls with two different teams as a KEY parts of both offenses...and??? He never got paid as the feature back he was.

So much is about perception. Even Front Offices fall for that stuff.

What I don't hear mentioned is how this reflects on Mike Tomlin.

The outright inference is that Tomlin would run him like a rented mule knowing that he only had one more year, not giving a crap about his career or future earnings.

Sure, it's a business, but we all know there are different ways to do business. Win-win scenarios aren't fairy tales. They can and do happen.

This is a violent sport. I appreciate McVay more and more each day because it's clear that neither he nor Snead nor Demoff would ever do that to a player.

We typically release guys early so that they can get a good jump on FA and their next gig.

Far cry from what Martz did to Warner... sorry, not sure I'll ever be over that...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At his age, if he'd had a season ending injury even like Thomas... a broken leg and not ligament damage... he'd be lucky to get a one year deal and if he blew the lid off the league after that, get a middling deal.

heck, look at how LeGarrette Blount fared... dude was close to the league lead in yards, TDs and won Super Bowls with two different teams as a KEY parts of both offenses...and??? He never got paid as the feature back he was.

So much is about perception. Even Front Offices fall for that stuff.

What I don't hear mentioned is how this reflects on Mike Tomlin.

The outright inference is that Tomlin would run him like a rented mule knowing that he only had one more year, not giving a crap about his career or future earnings.

Sure, it's a business, but we all know there are different ways to do business. Win-win scenarios aren't fairy tales. They can and do happen.

This is a violent sport. I appreciate McVay more and more each day because it's clear that neither he nor Snead nor Demoff would ever do that to a player.

We typically release guys early so that they can get a good jump on FA and their next gig.

Far cry from what Martz did to Warner... sorry, not sure I'll ever be over that...

Jamon Brown just signed an $18 million contract. He wouldn't have gotten that if he were a backup with the Rams. McVay knew he was an unlikely game day active, so they treated him well and let him go mid season. Now he's rich, because McVay wanted what was best for him. That will get around the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Except nobody is arguing that there isn't some depreciation. The point being made is dropping it a round is not an accurate valuation. The depreciation comes from your inability to immediately use it in a league where coaches, GMs, and players don't last long. But a second in five years is still a second. So the value of the commodity hasn't dropped. It's simply being discounted because you have to wait to use it.

The problem is that the conventional way of valuing it (dropping it a round for each year) is clearly inadequate. It has resulted in that commodity being undervalued again and again. Thus, we need to reassess how we value it. The conventional method clearly isn't working.

It’s an accurate way to value it in a trade scenario. They needed to quantify it somehow.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ford had a good season - the best of his career. He's really had one other good season. And keep in mind that the Chief's opponents had to pass all the time to keep up with them. So that likely inflated his sack totals somewhat. He's a good player, but I don't know if he's worth over 9% of the cap. It wouldn't shock me if he never gets 13 sacks again.

Astute observation. I hope it is the case for The Sore Vaginers.

Anyone think the jags would take a trade of peters and Reynolds for jalen Ramsey???
Would free up some money for us and allow us to pick the bones from the nfl cuts and as far as jam well peters is peters and with there pass rush and the way he likes to play works and in all honesty Reynolds is a poor mans Alshon Jeffery right now and foles likes that big target to throw it up too?

Or do you guys think they hang up on us lol

Say no to Ramsey. He has a big mouth. I’d prefer Bouye from the Jags.

The Rams need some future talent at corner. I think they could keep Talib reasonably after next year but I doubt they could afford both he and Peters. A lot of teams use Zone Blocking corners. Peters is still young. He may get a big offer in FA. But Talib is in the later stages. He wouldn’t likely score a huge offer. I’d love to keep Talib to mentor young corners coming in.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Thinking the same thing. Would we be losing Brockers in that scenario? Trying to make the numbers work here...

I would think it would have to start with that. Then we'd also be throwing in our 1st rounder and possibly something else. My issue would be the new contract we'd have to sign him too. Not sure we can afford him, Donald, Gurley, Goff's new deal, and eventually Kupps. I'd absolutely love it though. Clowney is a beast when healthy. I'd be very happy with Brockers and next years 2nd, if we could make that work.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Now there are 2 LB's that I have interest in and both were cut from their teams, thus not factoring into our comp picks next year, Z.Brown and J.Houston. Not sure what Brown would cost, but Houston probably looking for a large 1-2 year deal that we can't afford.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They quantified it wrong. It's not accurate.

How would you do it differently? It can’t be too complicated. It’s similar to the draft pick value chart. That isn’t accurate because in one year round two can suck and another round two can be loaded.

It’s just like saying a late second is like a top of the third pick. From year to year that can be great or suck.

But for simplification it’s a guideline. I agree with degrading a second next year to a third. If a good team has to wait a year it hurts them as much as a bad team wanting to improve sooner. For GMs it is very important to show progress each year. Otherwise they can be fired.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Watch out for us. I bet we're the NFCW team.

I hope not, unless it’s for a 6th round pick or less. I think the Rams need their picks. They will have more holes in a year or two and an expensive QB eating up cap space, so replacing players with expensive free agents will be tougher. They stand to lose, Talib, Peters, Weddle, Whitworth, Fowler and Woods over the next two years. That’s a lot of important positions not to have backed up with young talent. 2 corners, 1 Safety, one Olineman, Edge Rusher and Receiver, and all are good players.