Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Did they get a new DC? Or just changing schemes?

They're adjusting their front to the wide 9, and which put a lot of emphasis on being able to stuff the run game on the interior.

Psycho_X

Legend
The current OL pool of available OL'ers are not as pretty as years past, The overall strength of OL FA's is below average IMO.
https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Saffold brings so much of what is desired from so many teams at this point. I would imagine that Saffold & his agent are overloaded & cross-eyed :seizure::yay::yess::rolllaugh::santa::wow:with vast $$$$$ offers with unbelievable amount totals attached.

If you think I am wrong ....lets play .....give me a UFA OL'er who brings more to the table than Saffold at this moment in time? .......

Add in the fact that Saffold can also be a fairly good LT if need be and his value could be a lot higher than we think. Dude is going to get paid big. It’s unfortunate but is what it is. One could wonder if keeping Whitworth one more season instead of Saffold for another three or so is worth it? That was really the road block money wise this year at least. Having a kid that looks the part sitting on the bench makes the decision easier.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Add in the fact that Saffold can also be a fairly good LT if need be and his value could be a lot higher than we think. Dude is going to get paid big. It’s unfortunate but is what it is. One could wonder if keeping Whitworth one more season instead of Saffold for another three or so is worth it? That was really the road block money wise this year at least. Having a kid that looks the part sitting on the bench makes the decision easier.

Even aside from his potential to play LT he's going to be paid big. He gets to the second level and pancakes dudes in the run game and is a plus pass pro guy too. Dude probably has huge offers on his kitchen table right now.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah was just going to say I look forward to McVay singling him up and burning him into toast over and over again next time we play them.

I do respect the Vikes making a turnaround and getting him signed. What surprises me is him electing to stay there, as on the fit side he's never really looked comfortable in their scheme. Sure would have liked to see him in horns, but whatevs, no way in hell I think the Rams should be in the deep end in this year's FA swimming pool. I mean there's nothing wrong with paying the right guy, but these contracts have almost universally far surpassed projected production teams will get from them. It's nuts.

Least with the Vikes it's a guy they know and drafted, and maybe they do a better job setting him up for success.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The fact that Saffold is a very smart OL'er who has been involved with the LT post for many years. Four seasons as a starting left OT in college & 3 NFL seasons as a starter @ OT. Three straight seasons where he had part-time involvement @ OT mainly as the reserve LT while starting @ OG. He can play blind side or strong side. A perfect well blended well maintained versatile OL'er who can help out in any of the four OL posts. Let's remember that Saffold was a 310 pound LT when he was a rookie. As time went by Saffold worked himself to where he played for years over 330 pounds specializing on the skills to be a general well rounded talented OG.

I am sure that teams with weak sick OL's ....see Saffold as a savior to their current jobs.