First Look: Raiders at Rams / Joint Practices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, just tired of watching scrubs and guys who will be watching real football from the couch just like me.

Tv Land 90Ies GIF

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would be ironic if Stafford gets picked off 15 plus times this yr after all of the focus that McVay put on turnovers. Dallas got him a few times now 3 times today I believe. Yikes!

Psycho_X

Legend
Would be ironic if Stafford gets picked off 15 plus times this yr after all of the focus that McVay put on turnovers. Dallas got him a few times now 3 times today I believe. Yikes!

I don't think McVay will care as much if he's pushing the ball down the field with regular consistency. That's what seemed to annoy him the last couple of years is not pushing the ball downfield but still having a lot of turnovers. He's not Mike Martz when it comes to not caring about turnovers but I think there's an acceptable quota if you are taking more risks to open up the rest of the field.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Still cant run the ball with our 1st team offense and Henderson now? Wow thats not good at all. The Raiders defense is horrible our 1st team offense should shit on them. 3 ints and no running game? Yikes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still cant run the ball with our 1st team offense and Henderson now? Wow thats not good at all. The Raiders defense is horrible our 1st team offense should shit on them. 3 ints and no running game? Yikes.
Read the tweets. They put limits on the contact and the blocking used. Nobody runs the ball in these kind of things anyways.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

10 Observations from Rams' first joint practice with Raiders​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Rams held their first of two joint practices with the Raiders on Wednesday, a session which featured an aggressive approach by quarterback Matthew Stafford and activity from cornerback Robert Rochell, linebacker Travin Howard, outside linebacker Justin Hollins, and safety Taylor Rapp against the Raiders' passing attack.

Staff writer Stu Jackson shares 10 Observations from the session:

1) Cornerback Robert Rochell registers interception: The rookie out of Central Arkansas made an impressive interception during 11-on-11 team drills, picking off Raiders quarterback Marcus Mariota near the sideline and running it all the way back for a touchdown.

2) Quarterback Matthew Stafford sharp in 7-on-7 redzone period: During that segment, Stafford connect with wide receiver Cooper Kupp and tight end Tyler Higbee for touchdowns.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1428070336013107200?s=21

3) Aggressive throws: While Stafford threw three interceptions during 11-on-11 team drills against the Raiders' first-team defense, the 13-year veteran said after Wednesday's practice that it was a product of wanting to rep some new things the Rams' offense was installing. Stafford acknowledged those mistakes need to be corrected, but Rams head coach Sean McVay said he appreciated that approach to trying things out. McVay also said one of the picks was a "good, aggressive decision" while the other two were tipped passes that "didn't have anything to do with him."

4) Centers hold their own in 1-on-1s: Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton both repped well going against the Raiders defensive line during the 1-on-1 drills.

5) Near-pick by linebacker Travin Howard: During 11-on-11 drills, Howard almost made an interception on a pass by Mariota.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1428065738011545601?s=21

6) Linebacker Justin Hollins and safety Taylor Rapp active: The 6-foot-5 Hollins used his length to break up a short pass by Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, while Rapp closed quickly on another Carr pass to deliver a "thud" tackle and prevent the completion.

7) Offensive lineman Tremayne Anchrum Jr. exits practice due to allergic reaction: Anchrum was unable to finish Wednesday's practice, which McVay later said was because of an allergic reaction to something he ate earlier.

8) Outside linebacker Leonard Floyd does not practice as a precautionary move: After exiting Monday's practice with an ankle injury, Floyd did not participate in Wednesday's joint practice with the Raiders, but that decision was just a precautionary measure, according to McVay. "He's going to be okay," McVay said after Monday's practice.

9) Extra work: Rams offensive lineman Bobby Evans took time after Wednesday's practice to receive pointers from Austin Corbett and Joe Noteboom.

10) Reunited: Before the Raiders' buses departed, linebacker Cory Littleton – who played his first four NFL seasons for the Rams before signing with the Raiders last offseason – spent some time catching up with Howard, Rams defensive line coach/run game coordinator Eric Henderson and Rams linebackers coach Chris Shula.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
4) Centers hold their own in 1-on-1s: Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton both repped well going against the Raiders defensive line during the 1-on-1 drills.

That’s good news. (y)

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking like Rams depth sucks. How can they evaluate RB's unless they run behind the starters?

I guess we won't find out til the season starts. 1st 3 games of the regular season will be like pre season for the starters after sitting on their ass for a month. Oh yeah, they scrimmaged vs the Pokes and Raiders with no tackling. Whoopie doo.

I'm getting prepared to see the Rams get their ass handed to them early on. (At least they'll be healthy).
After two practices this week plus little to no gameplanning we're going to see who's tougher and stronger with each front. Because both teams will know what to expect. Have to think we see a focus on the run game by the Rams' offense though and I hope they show well.

I'm really not worried about 9. They're pushing and testing limits I suspect. Redzone period is much more stressful on the QB and he's done well there. Wouldn't rule out him being picked 15 times btw. But I think if that happens then he's probably gonna have 40+ TDs as well and probably no run game.

Far more concerning to me is the defense. The sum of the parts was amazing last year. If they're gonna do that again they should start showing it in these scrimmages. Maybe it'll turn tomorrow.

oldnotdead

Legend
Damn to get an INT with one hand and a club LOL. Way to go Rochell. I'm telling you the kid is a ball hawk.

Sounds like they are set at center. Interesting how Evans is getting pointers from Corbett and Noteboom.

Not worried about Stafford's INTs because his approach to preseason is all about seeing where his envelope is with his new WRs.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Looking like Rams depth sucks. How can they evaluate RB's unless they run behind the starters?

I guess we won't find out til the season starts. 1st 3 games of the regular season will be like pre season for the starters after sitting on their ass for a month. Oh yeah, they scrimmaged vs the Pokes and Raiders with no tackling. Whoopie doo.

I'm getting prepared to see the Rams get their ass handed to them early on. (At least they'll be healthy).
You might be correct ... hope you are not ... but McVay has not let his starters see the field in pre-season since his first year as head coach in 2017.

The Rams won their first eight games in 2018 ... their first three games in 2019 ... and, four-of-five to start 2020. Of course, there were no pre-season games last year. Just saying that McVay has had his team ready to play at the start of each season.

MachS

Hall of Fame
How long until Rochelle overtakes David Long for the starting nickel job? Im saying by week 5. The kid is legit. If Harris and Rochelle pan out this draft will be great. Ernest Jones already seems like he'll be a player for us. If not this year next year for sure.

dang

Legend
Yeah, just tired of watching scrubs and guys who will be watching real football from the couch just like me.

Tv Land 90Ies GIF
Some of these “scrubs” may be next man up sometime during the regular season. It will pay dividends to select the best depth players to strengthen the roster.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

From the Podium: Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford share takeaways from first joint practice with Raiders​

Aug 18, 2021 at 03:19 PM
Stu Jackson of the Los Angeles Rams headshot, Thursday, May 20, 2021, in Thousand Oaks, CA. (Jeff Lewis/LA Rams)

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Matthew Stafford each held press conferences with local media following Wednesday's joint practice with the Raiders, discussing what they took away from Stafford's performance and the day overall, and more.
Here are some of the highlights and key takeaways from those conversations, which you can watch in their entirety below:

"That's what I like about Matthew is he's aggressively trying things out. So, then you can learn how to be smart with that decision making thought process when the games really count." – McVay​

• Although Stafford threw three interceptions in Wednesday's joint practice, it was the result of getting reps with some new things the Rams' offense was installing, according to Stafford.
  • As indicated above, McVay didn't have a problem with the approach, saying one of those interceptions was a "good, aggressive decision" while the other two were off of tipped passes that weren't Stafford's fault.

"The way that it ended, just based on a lot of unnecessary things that took away from football – there are still some things I know we can take away and be able to learn from it, but it was a lot of unnecessary things that I know both of us want to be able to eliminate to try to get better." – McVay​

• While the Rams and Raiders were able to accomplish some things on Wednesday, McVay was disappointed with a few skirmishes that happened between the two teams and disrupted the joint practice at times.
  • "I don't believe there was any sort of malicious intent from their guys," said McVay, who also noted it wasn't exclusive to one team or the other. "But just that practice etiquette and getting the work that we want – this is two teams trying to get ready for the upcoming season, trying to shape one another, and we want to make sure that we structure the practice in a way that's beneficiary for both of us."

View: https://youtu.be/XMxthm7HxT4