Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Interesting.
There's a lot to sift through...

-Do the Rams actually want to trade him? Or are they convinced they're right with the $$ they're offering him an want him to explore the market to understand they're being fair so that they can re-sign him?
-Are they actually really comfortable with the LB options they have? Speights has been excellent.. maybe even better in practices than what we've seen in games. Speights RAS weight is 5 lbs less than Jones.. he is less than a half-inch shorter.. but has shorter arms and smaller hands. He's quicker.. faster and stronger. Maybe they found a gem?
-The biggest on-field factor I'll miss if Jones leaves is his blitzing. He's got a real gift for it.
-One of the big things touted about Jones is his leadership and it was believed that was going to be a big deal with the defense, after losing Donald. The thing is.. they've added leaders and that factor just isn't a big deal anymore. They've got a bunch of mature guys who are leaders in their own way in Verse, Turner, Fiske, Young.. etc... and have real vet leadership in Curl, White and Williams.
-If it turns out that Speights is a a big steal.. much like Alaric Jackson.. that's a huge salary cap win. Can you imagine if he produces close to Jones on a UDFA salary? Cost controlled for next couple of years?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Think they drafted a guy a couple years ago in the 2nd? Other than that I don't know much about it but bigger question is are they Raheem guys? That's tbd I guess.
They traded a 3rd for Judon, so they might be in an all in mode for a yr with Cousins.

I'd take a 4th in 26' with the potential for it to become a 3rd.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
If he were to be traded. So you think there is a chance that Kam Curl where's the green dot?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Obviously, many of us would love to know the numbers ... offered by the Rams ... requested by Jones' reps.

A good comparable would be the Browns' Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who just signed an extension.

Owusu-Koramoah is a very good off-ball-LB, and made the Pro Bowl in 2023. Like Jones, he is 24 years old (both were born in November 1999). Like Jones, he was drafted in 2021 (mid-second, to Jones' late-third round). Both are slightly undersized, athletic players. Both have 33 career starts.

Owusu-Koramoah's extension was signed less than two weeks ago, and was for three-years and $37.5M (Average Annual Value of $12.5M), with $20M guaranteed.

Is Jones asking for that? ... A little more? ... A lot more? ... Are the Rams offering less? ... How much less?
Great, great post. Fantastic context.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They don't have a 3rd, 5th or 6th in 25'. So a little pick poor. The Rams may settle for a 26' pick and get a higher round pick. Like the Eagles did for Reddick. Getting a conditional 3rd. So might get a round higher for a 26th pick vs a 25th pick
I see different info so hard to tell.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I was worried as soon as I saw the article/interview from McVay stating he thought "The Conductor" was the defensive leader and not Jones.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Queen got a big deal, just happened to be the Steelers and not the Ravens who ponied up, and they received nothing in return. Jones has some trade value, not sure what exactly but something is better than nothing.
The ravens didn’t get anything in return for queen—yet.
Depending on who the ravens signed during FA, they will be getting a comp pick.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
btw... I don't think that the plan is for Reeder, Rozeboom or Hummel to be the primary ILB... I believe their being open to moving Jones is 100% because of Speights. Did you guys hear McVay talk about him the other day? The guy is the real deal, imo.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Starting Hummel is a joke. He's a backup. I do understand the Rams allowing Jones to seek a trade so that the market sets itself for him m. My guess is his agent is asking for a huge amount of money the Rams aren't comfortable committing to. Crazy timing for this to play out.
Queen got a 3-year 41 mil
Kormoah got a 3-year 37+ mil
If EJ wants that money or more with medical concerns allowing him to seek a trade and see what the interest is makes sense.
If he stays and plays poorly he will hurt his value for a deal next season.

In all fairness, if there were no existing injury worries EJ's value is pretty fairly estimated as more than Komorah and less than Queen in IMO

Flint

Pro Bowler
I would bet the best they could get is a 4th, maybe conditions to improve from that. However, with him wanting big money, it might be a 5th or later. Depends how much cap space the acquiring team has. He will likley be traded to a bad team that lacks stars so he can get his 10-12M per yr.
Probably why he’s making his play now, he would rather the rams pay him so he’s hoping to pressure them into it. Probably won’t work but it cost nothing to try.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes ATL has cap and picks next year.
They only have $7M this year in cap space and are currently projected to be -16M in the hole next yr. So they may not be a fit. Unless they have a lot of restructure flexibility.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I see different info so hard to tell.
I am looking at GBN. They traded their 3rd for Judon last week. We have their 6th for the Jefferson trade last yr ( they get back a 7th). They forfeited their 5th for the Cousins tampering punishment.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I didn't expect this to happen before the 2024 season because the Rams had supposedly been on the same page with Jones on doing his process next offseason. But I think he realized that they were not going to pay him. I don't believe they were ever going to pay him, either, he just put two and two together.

Why wouldn't they pay him? Because he doesn't have the range you get with the elite off ball types. I love the mentality he gives the defense, he's clearly a strong leader which we need, but that stuff takes a back seat to the money side with certain positions and ILB is one of them. The only way you can pay an ILB is if he's a difference maker with great range, snuffing shit out sideline to sideline down to down. And that's not Jones. He's a throwback interior dude who will fill his run lane with a little thump and grind for you and in the modern NFL you don't pay for that.

Also Speights might have factored in here. Where Jones looks at him and realizes that's his replacement and says fuck this I'm out. No telling, but I suspect that's somewhere along the lines of what happened since he was supposedly willing to do his contract after the season.

Going forward and once again I don't think Hummel is the replacement for Jones. Rams might list it that way (can't recall what their depth chart says) but I think the dude behind Jones is Speights. Speights is younger and more mobile than Jones and Reeder, so he gives more range without giving up the run fill ability. Hummel is the guy you sub in when you want to go with two backers.

Now they may give Hummel a shot I suppose. But that would be delaying the inevitable with Speights who is probably the future. Because, after all, the Rams rarely spend draft capital on these guys as it is. They don't value off ball backers.

RamsinNV

UDFA
At a glance, Jones stat line is similar to Queen last season. I think the Rams are getting ready to have another Comp pick year. That means not signing any free agents that aren’t cut or otherwise work against the comp pick formula.

I think Alaric Jackson, Tredavious White, Ernest Jones garner a comp pick. Hope for good seasons and they could all be 3rds. Noteboom, Jimmy G, Atwell, Brown III, Robinson might also return a pick with solid years. Frustrating to lose the player but recent drafts have been impressive. Also hard not to go all in for the last of Stafford.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At a glance, Jones stat line is similar to Queen last season.
Jones has good stats I agree, but he is no Queen. He does not have that type of range. Queen has elite raw skills but comes in as a good but not elite backer. This is why the Ravens let him walk. Steelers might get the most out of him, we'll see, but totally different player in terms of range, he is the total package.

Jones will always be limited in that regard. The elite ILB of the modern NFL must be able to run fill inside and also range sideline to sideline. It's very hard to find guys who can do that. You can get one or the other without too much problem, but the guys who do both generally go early and get snapped up quickly by teams that value the position more than the Rams.

Somehow the shitters seem to unearth them in round 3 range too. But most guys you get into that range it's already too late to get both the range and run fill excellence.