Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Looking at next years cap the Rams probably cant/don't want to pay an ILB $15M average per season, or even $12M. He will get something in that range. We need to keep some money free for our future LT, especially if we use our 1st to draft Staffords eventual replacement. Just business folks.
Bingo...

He wants a long-term deal and I guess any discussions that they have had with his agents they must be asking for way too much. I can see why that they are hesitating to overpay for ILB.

Look at the upcoming contracts they will have to hand out as soon as next yr. Puka, Avila, Byron Young, Kobie Turner, Kyren Williams, Lake, etc...

Also, they likley will be looking to go spend in FA or acquire via trade next yr a top CB or maybe a quality LT, although they rarely hit the market.

Of those players/ positions mentioned, where would you rank the importance of Jones?

For me he would be down the list pretty far.

Last edited:

LOURam85

Rookie
Whatever happened to playing out your contact and then getting a new contract. This crap is getting out of hand where the player thinks he is bigger than the team. This was a bullshit move by Jones and shows that is all about the money once again. He would have got paid after this season but like some many of these guys he acted like a spoiled child. If he wants to leave, I say F**k him.
It’s a business u can’t be mad he wants to be payed like he feels he’s worth

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Rams historically have never paid their LBs since McVay arrived and made due with Cory Littleton, who actually was quite solid for us, and have been basically patching it together ever since.

Maybe the offer on the table is far below what he feels is his fair market value, he got insulted, and wants out.

Either way, he is a good player, but not near good enough to be demanding a trade at this time of year IMO. Tons of players every year hit free agency. News flash - they tend to be of Jones' calibre (or lower).

The Rams are a "Me not We" franchise. It will be a big blow at LBer if we lose Jones but I won't lose sleep over it either because I suspect the Rams will survive it between a combo of next man up, scheming around the weakness, and their strong pro scouting department if we go external for reinforcement at the position.
Yeah, didn't the Ravens let Queen walk last yr? It's just one of those positions, like RB, that don't get big 2nd deals, especially from contending teams that have better rosters and better players who they are trying to keep.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would bet the best they could get is a 4th, maybe conditions to improve from that. However, with him wanting big money, it might be a 5th or later. Depends how much cap space the acquiring team has. He will likley be traded to a bad team that lacks stars so he can get his 10-12M per yr.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the upcoming contracts they will have to hand out as soon as next yr. Puka, Avila, Byron Young, Kobie Turner, Kyren Williams, Lake, etc...

all those players bolded are in their 2nd season. they can't be extended for another 2 seasons.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Ernest Jones must be asking for an insane amount of money. I don't like this shit because Snead always gets shafted on the return whenever we trade someone. No idea who would replace him as Speights is a rookie and I can't think of any cuts that would fill that void. This sucks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Looking at teams with a lot of cap space next yr, which is when they could push his cap dollars to. As well as a teams personality, defensive minded HCs, and other circumstances, like past relationships, etc.. I could see the Pats, Commodes, Steelers, and Vikings having interest.

The first 3 have defensive HC's, and O'Connell would have a good feel for Jones and his ability and leadership.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He's good but not irreplaceable. I'm not sure what a team would give up considering he wants an extension to go with it. It would be a day 3 pick for sure. Maybe 5th or 6th? We could probably scan the waiver wire for his replacement.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
1. I don't like this at all.
2. This better not mean the Rams are content to start the season with Reeder and Roseboom at starters. We'll be toast.
3. I like Speights and Hummel, but neither are remotely close to being the Leader/player EJ53 is right now.
4. There's not a damn player you could get back that's going to have a bigger impact than EJ53 this season, other than an ILB of his caliber or better. And you know Les will settle for a 6th RD pick.
5. I hate how cheap the Rams get at this position. EJ53 is way more than just a very good player. He's the biggest leader on Defense, and he's the green dot bearer.

This is the shit shouldn't deal with before the season begins.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
all those players bolded are in their 2nd season. they can't be extended for another 2 seasons.

Umm.... they can do what Jones is doing at the end of their 3rd yr. Which would be 18 months from now and would be happening when Jones contract would be an issue and not cap friendly.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ernest Jones must be asking for an insane amount of money. I don't like this shit because Snead always gets shafted on the return whenever we trade someone. No idea who would replace him as Speights is a rookie and I can't think of any cuts that would fill that void. This sucks.
I think Hummel is ready with Speights waiting in the wings. They love Speights, but Hummel knows the defense and looked good in coverage in preseason.

I love Ernest Jones, but his knee has been an issue since college and I believe the Rams could be apprehensive because of the knee.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, this is not the sort of news you want just 2wks before opening day.

Geez.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
last year of rookie contract , wants a long term deal ?
They were likely hoping he’d play this year, then let him leave in free agency.
I was kind of surprised when both sides decided to "play out the year" early on in the negotiations. I like Earnest but he is no Ray Lewis. Not sure what his market value is but I don't think anyone will trade for him... at least no good offers anyway.
I was too. He’s good but not elite
Yeah, didn't the Ravens let Queen walk last yr? It's just one of those positions, like RB, that don't get big 2nd deals, especially from contending teams that have better rosters and better players who they are trying to keep.
Yeah, it’s likely agent driven, thinking they have the Rams by the balls, since this team is a contender.
Snead gets what he can get. There is always circumstances involved, like with Ramsey, they could have gotten more. But, they agreed to trade him to a team he wanted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Ravens have Smith. They traded for him while they had Queen. Queen couldn’t handle calling the defense.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
trade him now , or let him walk next year

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think Hummel is ready with Speights waiting in the wings. They love Speights, but Hummel knows the defense and looked good in coverage in preseason.

I love Ernest Jones, but his knee has been an issue since college and I believe the Rams could be apprehensive because of the knee.
Starting Hummel is a joke. He's a backup. I do understand the Rams allowing Jones to seek a trade so that the market sets itself for him m. My guess is his agent is asking for a huge amount of money the Rams aren't comfortable committing to. Crazy timing for this to play out.