Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I promised I wouldn't doubt Snead and McVay after last year.....but.....
Anyway, love Snead but, man, is he bad at trades, the RG3 trade being the exception.
The move doesn't make sense outside of a knee issue.
The Rams don't value LBs all that much, that is clear at this point.
Even so, make him play out his contract.
Reeder will likely start until someone else is deemed ready.
So I've seen the bad at trades a lot but who is a player we traded away that actually excelled for his new team. I can't think of any, not saying there aren't, I just can't think of any.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think he's referring to moving players out, not bringing them in.

Moved Woods for peanuts, Ramsey for a guy that's yet to see the field in the RS and a low-round pick and now this...get a 5th rounder back and PAY Tennessee to take one of your captains by throwing in a 6th.

I'm just a fan who hasn't played a single down of organized football in his life, but I don't get it. Feels like they don't even try to get value in this scenario.
Woods was far from good for the Titans. Ramsey hasn't been that good from what I saw and add to that a lot here thought he was done as a CB and needed yo move to safety. I don't even think Woods was a Titan for that long.

Most of the bad at trades seems just fans perception elevating players value much more than the teams do. One of the reasons I always laugh at mock off seasons. So unrealistic and it carries over to trades like this.

But hey maybe Jones is the first guy traded away that we regret, that I can remember.

LOURam85

Rookie
I don't think so. Think someone broke a story that the Rams said that ship has sailed. Either they're too far apart, or the Rams are making a business decision, but either way it's the same old ending.

Onwards and upwards. Now all they need to do is get Speights a real number. Dude looks like a fuckin DB out there.
U know they can wear any number now

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You're right.
I should have been more clear....trading AWAY players has generally been sub par.
By that I mean Im still bitter over the Ramsey trade to the Dolphins.
I didn't like the Stafford trade initially, thought they gave too much. I am very happy to be proven wrong about that one.
The Dotson trade is fantastic beyond measure.
Its like if Jones goes on to be a Pro Bowl level LB for the Titans.
It just seems solid to good veteran players just don't demand much in the trade market now.
I would have thought Jones could have fetched more than he did.
Jones is a good LB.. and, literally bad in coverage.
You’re not losing a difference maker.. especially if he’s missing games because of a bad knee.
They got completely appropriate value, given all the factors. And why don’t you wait and see how good the replacements are and how the money they saved will be spent?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Moved Woods for peanuts, Ramsey for a guy that's yet to see the field in the RS and a low-round pick and now this...get a 5th rounder back and PAY Tennessee to take one of your captains by throwing in a 6th.

I'm just a fan who hasn't played a single down of organized football in his life, but I don't get it. Feels like they don't even try to get value in this scenario.
And that last line is just silly.

Maybe the Rams actually do understand the marketplace and what they’re doing?

I’m not saying always.. but I’m seeing a lot of overreaction for a decent player.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I've moved on with it. Seeing McVays presser makes me think he was fed up with him about something.

Also, don't forget about Jake Hummel.

Could be EJ was a problem and although McVay will not air the dirty laundry in public, decided to cut ties rather than have a festering problem that could affect the rest of the team. I don't know this, but speculation, based on what little I've seen and heard.

I say this because we didn't hear a thing about this and suddenly right before the season, he's traded for a 5th rounder?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Listened to McVay's 18-minute media conference this afternoon, which was dominated by the Jones-move.

I came away with the opinion, that this move was very much about the long-term viability of Jones' knee.

McVay is skilled at being communicative, professional and charming with the media but he often says very little of substance, which I think is smart. Kept referring to the Jones-move as a "Football Decision"; and that is vague. One reporter really tried to push McVay (none of the others did), for more clarity of what that meant but McVay showed his frustration with the guy's question. It was very much out-of-character for McVay.

McVay twice referred to Troy Reeder, which makes me sick because I think Reeder is below-average; and McVay clearly stated that the two starting ILBs right now were Roseboom and Reeder ... not Omar Speights.

He also referenced the current group, and how good he felt about them. Three of the ILBs (Roseboom, Reeder and Hummel) were with the Team last year, and none were first year players. Ernest Jones played 934 snaps last year. Those other three combined were less than 800 defensive snaps. Jones played the most ... by far ... because he was the best of the group ... by far (my opinion).

Towards the end of the media conference, McVay mentioned a couple times about Jones not being available for much of the off-season and training camp work; and how that lack of availability was a problem. McVay used the terms "missed opportunities" and "missed reps" that put him "behind the eight-ball" and that let to him "being behind" ... then he added "that's what led to the football decision".

To Gary Klein's credit, he tried to get more clarity, even asked how Jones' performance the last two years wasn't enough for the Rams to evaluate him despite the missed time this off-season and in training camp. McVay basically responded that each year is a new challenge; and referenced following-up a Super Bowl with a five-win season.

I just came away with the strong feeling that question of Jones' durability was a huge factor here.

My concern is simply that ... other than the potential of an undrafted rookie who looked good against back-up and 3rd teamers in two pre-season games ... the Rams are weak at off-ball / Inside Linebacker.
Overall I agree with this take... that the decision to move on from Jones was "mostly" due to his knee troubles, which led to his lack of reps, which led to him "falling behind."

But Good Lord it's painful to watch a McVay press conference sometimes. So many fucking words and so little fucking information! McVay was like a poker player who wanted to reveal as little as possible.

How on earth is it "better for this football team" to trade away a "great pro and a great leader and a valuable contributor" for a late-round pick swap in 2026?!?! McVay steadfastly refused to give a real answer. He also got damn annoyed with Gary Klein when he was pushed to do so.

My guess is that this wasn't related to an attitude problem. McVay consistently referred to Jones as a great pro, which sounded believable.

So I gotta think it was based mostly on a "durability and availability" issue. Nothing else really makes much sense. And maybe cap $ figures in a bit as well. Maybe they think the dropoff from Jones to Reeder isn't worth 2 to 3 million. Perhaps they felt moving Jones was worth it in order to have some extra money available for a move later this season.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Overall I agree with this take... that the decision to move on from Jones was "mostly" due to his knee troubles, which led to his lack of reps, which led to him "falling behind."

But Good Lord it's painful to watch a McVay press conference sometimes. So many fucking words and so little fucking information! McVay was like a poker player who wanted to reveal as little as possible.

How on earth is it "better for this football team" to trade away a "great pro and a great leader and a valuable contributor" for a late-round pick swap in 2026?!?! McVay steadfastly refused to give a real answer. He also got damn annoyed with Gary Klein when he was pushed to do so.

My guess is that this wasn't related to an attitude problem. McVay consistently referred to Jones as a great pro, which sounded believable.

So I gotta think it was based mostly on a "durability and availability" issue. Nothing else really makes much sense. And maybe cap $ figures in a bit as well. Maybe they think the dropoff from Jones to Reeder isn't worth 2 to 3 million. Perhaps they felt moving Jones was worth it in order to have some extra money available for a move later this season.

I don’t recall seeing McVay look this pissed. He can’t give a concrete reason without negatively affecting Jones. The man is tense and clearly unhappy

Reeder is starting

I will be amazed if there is no drop off between him and Jones so it’s probably only a matter of time before the Speights era begins

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iifeq4djMFw

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods was far from good for the Titans. Ramsey hasn't been that good from what I saw and add to that a lot here thought he was done as a CB and needed yo move to safety. I don't even think Woods was a Titan for that long.

Most of the bad at trades seems just fans perception elevating players value much more than the teams do. One of the reasons I always laugh at mock off seasons. So unrealistic and it carries over to trades like this.

But hey maybe Jones is the first guy traded away that we regret, that I can remember.

I mean I know the Rams don't regret trading him away but that goff guy did alright for himself.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold was the last one I can think of.

Didn't he leave in free agency? They had to choose between him and Dante fowler.

They chose poorly. Not that fowler was bad but the oline suffered significantly. I mean C'mon, Blythe at guard? He ruined so many big plays it's not funny. It was depressing. And 3rd and long, forget about it. Sack or throw the ball away.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I mean I know the Rams don't regret trading him away but that goff guy did alright for himself.

Well said. It’s normally true that the players we trade away don’t typically do great. Even so, we have made plenty of questionable decisions over the years

Following what McVay said it appears you cannot make this team from the tub and it was no different for Jones. I worry how this will play out but Speights could have a JJ3 type impact as the season progresses

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
All we receive is a late round pick swap? This makes zero sense… the value of Jones playing out the year is greater than what we got in the trade…

Why is it that Les always gets less value than other GMs in trades?

tempests

Hall of Fame

There are probably other factors that affect what draft compensation you can get.

ex. Jalen Ramsey wanted his 2023 and 2024 salaries fully guaranteed(pay him another 25 million). There are few teams that would've been willing to do that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't he leave in free agency? They had to choose between him and Dante fowler.

They chose poorly. Not that fowler was bad but the oline suffered significantly. I mean C'mon, Blythe at guard? He ruined so many big plays it's not funny. It was depressing. And 3rd and long, forget about it. Sack or throw the ball away.

He did and did ok but not a failed trade.

RamInferno

UDFA
It seems to me like Jones got beat out for the starting LB position due to a mix of his injury/missed time, strong performances of other LBs, and maybe even scheme fit in Shula's defense. With it being a contract year, he probably felt that being benched hurt his chances of securing a good deal. So, the Rams did him a favor by sending him to a team where he could start and improve his prospects for his next contract. We perceived him as a young star LB, but if he wasn't going to start, we weren't going to be getting a comp pick for him. Given that assessment of the situation, this ends up as a win/win for both sides and explains the timing of it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all.. is Earnest Jones getting a new contract from the Titans, or are they making him play out the year? What is he actually gaining from all this? Secondly, I think EJ is a good linebacker but good players usually don't make contract demands or hold out. Players like AD, Trent Williams, Jamar Chase... seems to me like the great players are the ones who can hold their teams hostage, and EJ is just not in the same league as the "best" linebackers.