Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Idk if I buy this. Why not let him sit for the first few weeks and give him a chance to get caught up? Former green dot and team captain. You just trade him away because he got… “behind” ?
Because there is more than that at play. Jones wanted a contract and was not happy with the Rams offers. Jones has a bum knee. And Speights might be a guy they want in that starting role, which can be awkward as fuck when it's your captain of the defense getting beat out by a UDFA.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Because there is more than that at play. Jones wanted a contract and was not happy with the Rams offers. Jones has a bum knee. And Speights might be a guy they want in that starting role, which can be awkward as fuck when it's your captain of the defense getting beat out by a UDFA.
No hold out threat or request for trade. I don’t think the contract was stopping him from playing this year.

Awkward? It’s football. You compete. That’s the whole game. Either way, asset management points to LB depth over 2026 late pick. It’s a weird move. Feels like there’s more to this story.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Coach showed a little bite there. I like it.

Yeah, based on some of that, I think there might be a bit more to the situation that led to the trade of EJ than he's willing to say publicly. He has a pretty firm reason why it went down, but isn't going to air any dirty laundry in public.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
But they won't be slighted either. With Goff he was regressing. There was talk that McVay wasn't happy with the time he was putting in considering all the struggling he was doing. The big change started when Miami Zero covered him to death when all week long they worked on what they would do in those situations because they were known for that.
Never thought about this. It’s funny because every interview if someone asks about Goff the person always alludes to how hard of a worker he is. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would slack off but maybe McVay is just that much of a film junkie.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My opinion, and only my personal opinion, but this off season was not the first time that Jones had knee issues, and because of that, the Rams considered Jones a risky investment in the long term.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No hold out threat or request for trade. I don’t think the contract was stopping him from playing this year.

Awkward? It’s football. You compete. That’s the whole game. Either way, asset management points to LB depth over 2026 late pick. It’s a weird move. Feels like there’s more to this story.
You downplay it from behind your keyboard but real life isn't always all neat and tidy. People have expectations. Beliefs. They throw in behind certain leaders. You get division in the locker room. Etc.

Tano

Legend
So McVay sort of spelled out Jones got behind, and when he came back he was facing a situation where the entire room had moved forward in the scheme. So translation is Jones probably struggled upon return a bit, which is understandable, and then they're going into that final season with him and he's behind and the room is looking great so they go into that mode of at this point let's move him.

McVay also said Reeder & Rozeboom are the starters. Clearly they're gonna not rush Speights into the starting Mike role, and let him earn his way to it. And I'm fine with that, given that it won't take long for them to start rolling Speights in there. I'm thinking by week 3 vs SF Speights will be our starting Mike.
But but but Reeder?

Why does McVay like certain players that are just terrible.

Blythe Evans Reeder

Just no.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Never thought about this. It’s funny because every interview if someone asks about Goff the person always alludes to how hard of a worker he is. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would slack off but maybe McVay is just that much of a film junkie.
I don't think he has ever been a slacker either, but there was some disconnect there. I think McVay believes you work till you get it. And Goff wasn't gettin it at that time.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Personally, I hope to only see Reeder and Roseboom on special teams. I hope the Rams snatch a MLBer that some team is trying to stash on their practice squad.

dang

Legend
But but but Reeder?

Why does McVay like certain players that are just terrible.

Blythe Evans Reeder

Just no.
McVay was a boy genius when he was hired by the Rams. He’s evolved into a man genius. We don’t need to understand him but we need to trust him. I’m going to bet he knows Reeder/Rozeboom is not the long term answer.