Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I promised I wouldn't doubt Snead and McVay after last year.....but.....
Anyway, love Snead but, man, is he bad at trades, the RG3 trade being the exception.
The move doesn't make sense outside of a knee issue.
The Rams don't value LBs all that much, that is clear at this point.
Even so, make him play out his contract.
Reeder will likely start until someone else is deemed ready.
I have a feeling what happened was that Jones might not have been hurt, was just advised to sit out per is agent and said he was working through some knee issues. The regime felt that was Me not We and now Jones hangs his hat in Tennessee. Just my opinion, but when McVay first advised the media about Jones, you could see in his eyes and hear in his voice some irritation.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Reeder may run fast but his change of direction and reaction in the open field are poor; and both were exploited in the NFC Championship against the Niners. He is a below-average NFL off-ball-LB, in my opinion; and an average Team position (with Ernest Jones) is now a weakness ... and ... I just can not understand Why?
Probably because over the years the success the defenses has had with guys like Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, and yes evenly a merely solid Ernest Young playing ILB. And Reeder started and/or played in many of those games.

Tano

Legend
I doubt it. Can't recall Jones making much of an impact vs. the 49ers either. Reeder at least has the speed to get to more plays. He just needs to do a better job wrapping up. Looks like he's got short arms to me.
I remember the last game last year where the 49ers were running all over the Rams especially Reeder.

Then Reeder got hurt and all of a sudden, the 49ers were having issues.

I have seen that over and over with the 49ers when Reeder is in the game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I have a feeling what happened was that Jones might not have been hurt, was just advised to sit out per is agent and said he was working through some knee issues. The regime felt that was Me not We and now Jones hangs his hat in Tennessee. Just my opinion, but when McVay first advised the media about Jones, you could see in his eyes and hear in his voice some irritation.
I believe that there may have been some knee issues as he had some last season. However, I'm guessing that his contract situation may have contributed to his willingness to participate and be "all-in" at times in combination with his knee this off-season. And you can't do that being a non difference maker and just a solid player. And especially with so much high energy youth coming in.

But, of course only the people in the building really know.

MrOrange

UDFA
The only thing that makes sense is that he was becoming a headache in the locker room. I am not buying that the LB unit got better with him gone. I am not buying that they were dying to shed his $3 million dollar salary. I am not buying that they couldn't pass up the value of a day 3 pick swap in 2026. None of that computes to me. I am not even buying that Speights made him expendable, how can you possibly know that from 3 preseason games? I just don't see any way shape or form that this makes any sense aside from a personality issue. And that would also surprise me because coming out of his draft Les Snead called him the top leadership guy in the entire draft and since then he was also a team captain for us. I really guess I just don't get it. McVay and Snead have done enough to where I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one I guess I just can't wrap my head around.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing that makes sense is that he was becoming a headache in the locker room. I am not buying that the LB unit got better with him gone. I am not buying that they were dying to shed his $3 million dollar salary. I am not buying that they couldn't pass up the value of a day 3 pick swap in 2026. None of that computes to me. I am not even buying that Speights made him expendable, how can you possibly know that from 3 preseason games? I just don't see any way shape or form that this makes any sense aside from a personality issue. And that would also surprise me because coming out of his draft Les Snead called him the top leadership guy in the entire draft and since then he was also a team captain for us. I really guess I just don't get it. McVay and Snead have done enough to where I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one I guess I just can't wrap my head around.
I agree with this. Snead and McVay just had enough of that situation. Goodbye. Traded for a ham sandwich.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
McVay proved he knew what he needed to win football games long before Mr Ernest Jones ever put on a Ram uniform.

Obviously, the Rams saw something they did not appreciate and promptly moved Mr Jones out the door.

I suspect McVay wil continue coaching a winning football team without the services of Mr Jones.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think Jones got some bad advice from his agent and for his sake I hope he gets a new one when he goes to Tennessee. When you are under contract you honor that contract and when it is up you then ask for another one. You don't pull this BS and threaten not to honor the contract you are on if you don't get a new one. This sets a dangerous president down the road for the GM. I like Jones but when he took this road, I was glad to see that the front office did not cave to him. Jones played poker with Snead and lost.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
And Reeder started and/or played in many of those games.
And was usually a weak link but had players like Donald, Ramsey, Miller and Floyd around him.

Hey, I am hoping for the best.

And, I am guessing Ernest Jones’ knee is bad; and McVay did not want to deal with questionable or part time availability in 2024 before letting Jones leave via free agency in 2025.

My concern is that ILB just went from an average position to a weakness that will be exploited.

Hope I am wrong. Pray I am.

Psycho_X

Legend
This has at least brought the entertainment of seeing Big Whit put that youtube "content creator" Jake Ellen in his place after he went on another unprofessional rant about a move Rams made on twitter. Then Jake responded to Big Whit about how he was doing this before Whit was a Ram as that somehow gave him more credibility than a hall of fame super bowl winner and then deleted it after he got flak. Which of course got reposted by some other competing "content creator" and Big Whit called him out again "this isn't a video game" lol. Jake still hasn't learned his lesson I see.

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828644018571657399

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828646658776981968

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't that exactly what I said?

Just saying Goff played well for another team.

He was also one of the most hated/disliked Rams in recent memory. And like we said we won the trade. I'm looking for a guy we traded that the trade didn't work out because the guy excelled elsewhere and we didn't replace him or get better.

I really think when you look at how players do afterwards trade them this notion we get fleeced is exaggerated because people have this madden franchise mode mentality about trades.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
All we receive is a late round pick swap? This makes zero sense… the value of Jones playing out the year is greater than what we got in the trade…

Why is it that Les always gets less value than other GMs in trades?
Do you follow other gm moves? If he has a bad knee how much is he worth in a trade?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This has at least brought the entertainment of seeing Big Whit put that youtube "content creator" Jake Ellen in his place after he went on another unprofessional rant about a move Rams made on twitter. Then Jake responded to Big Whit about how he was doing this before Whit was a Ram as that somehow gave him more credibility than a hall of fame super bowl winner and then deleted it after he got flak. Which of course got reposted by some other competing "content creator" and Big Whit called him out again "this isn't a video game" lol. Jake still hasn't learned his lesson I see.

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828644018571657399

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828646658776981968

Love it. I'm one of the people who really, really don't enjoy Jake and his sidekick. I don't think he's completely meritless.. he actually puts in work, unlike some of the lame aggregators and he really works on the draft stuff.

But.. the hot takes and other stuff are really tiring.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Spicy theory. Well done. :hot:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean I know the Rams don't regret trading him away but that goff guy did alright for himself.

Goff plays the same position as Stafford.
Goff is really good.
Stafford is elite.
Stafford was a MASSIVE factor in the Rams winning the Super Bowl.

There's literally nothing I look back on that trade and feel even the slightest bit of angst. Zero.

Super Bowl, baby... and, if not for a missed penalty, the Rams may have beaten them in Detroit in the playoffs!! Stafford was damn good that day!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff plays the same position as Stafford.
Goff is really good.
Stafford is elite.
Stafford was a MASSIVE factor in the Rams winning the Super Bowl.

There's literally nothing I look back on that trade and feel even the slightest bit of angst. Zero.

Super Bowl, baby... and, if not for a missed penalty, the Rams may have beaten them in Detroit in the playoffs!! Stafford was damn good that day!!

Isn't that what I said?

fearsomefour

Legend
So I've seen the bad at trades a lot but who is a player we traded away that actually excelled for his new team. I can't think of any, not saying there aren't, I just can't think of any.
Ramsey for a back up blocking TE and a pick is a pathetic haul.
It more about return than what a player does with their new team.
Also, what they do or don't do with their new team may not relate at all to what they would have done with the Rams.
I will say this, most of the Ram cuts in recent years have not gone on to do anything, or in many cases, even be signed by other teams.
The team is deep enough now, I would expect that to change to a degree.