Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Well... I wish this would have worked out. It would have been worth it to extend Jones at a reasonable price, but obviously his side was asking for more. I'm thinking there must have been some talk about holding out from Jones agent.... or something in the communication that soured the front office. Wish EJ the best....him stepping up when he did helped us win a Super Bowl... in fact his pick at Arizona that year in the red zone stands out as a huge play in a game that was really the turning point of a Super Bowl season.

I don't think we can minimize the fact that ....obviously...the team likes Omar Speights. We've given a big responsibility to a rookie UDFA before at the ILB position....

A young and hungry team just got younger and...hopefully....hungrier...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Shanahan sees the Rams get rid of Jones and insert Reeder into the starting line-up and he is going

MUWAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!
I doubt it. Can't recall Jones making much of an impact vs. the 49ers either. Reeder at least has the speed to get to more plays. He just needs to do a better job wrapping up. Looks like he's got short arms to me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I doubt it. Can't recall Jones making much of an impact vs. the 49ers either. Reeder at least has the speed to get to more plays. He just needs to do a better job wrapping up. Looks like he's got short arms to me.
Reeder may run fast but his change of direction and reaction in the open field are poor; and both were exploited in the NFC Championship against the Niners. He is a below-average NFL off-ball-LB, in my opinion; and an average Team position (with Ernest Jones) is now a weakness ... and ... I just can not understand Why?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never thought about this. It’s funny because every interview if someone asks about Goff the person always alludes to how hard of a worker he is. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would slack off but maybe McVay is just that much of a film junkie.

mcvay said something about players needing to prepare better after the miami game in 2020. alarm bells went off about goff when he had the worst game of all the players that game. it only got worse from there as he tried to pull off some unscheduled plays that mcvay couldn't stop talking about that season.

the rams moving goff gave him a huge dose of reality. doesn't matter how much money a team gives you, if you're a slacker they're gonna move on from you. it's no surprise he began working hard again and helped lift the lions off the floor and become a contender.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's just too much of a coincidence that speights looked like the real deal and then suddenly the rams moving on from jones after that.

they knew early on they weren't going to extend him. the time to trade him was way earlier in the offseason.

just too coincidental.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've moved on with it. Seeing McVays presser makes me think he was fed up with him about something.

Also, don't forget about Jake Hummel.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Because there is more than that at play. Jones wanted a contract and was not happy with the Rams offers. Jones has a bum knee. And Speights might be a guy they want in that starting role, which can be awkward as fuck when it's your captain of the defense getting beat out by a UDFA.
I wonder if there was a disagreement between Coaching/medical staff and Jones about how bad the knee was and what he could actually do. Plenty of reasons for Jones to be concerned for his knee in a more self-serving manner than the team ahead of a new contract especially when the new contract wasn't coming till next year, possibly from another team.

Pure speculation.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Looks like he's got short arms to me.
Whatchu talkin bout willis
See You Later Alligator Hello GIF by University of Florida

fearsomefour

Legend
I promised I wouldn't doubt Snead and McVay after last year.....but.....
Anyway, love Snead but, man, is he bad at trades, the RG3 trade being the exception.
The move doesn't make sense outside of a knee issue.
The Rams don't value LBs all that much, that is clear at this point.
Even so, make him play out his contract.
Reeder will likely start until someone else is deemed ready.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jones is a very good LB.
Not a top 10 at the position in my book, but, very good. I really enjoy seeing players the team drafts develop into very good starters, we all do. Hate to see them leave.
All that said, the Rams don't value LBs in this D.
They have moved on from plenty of them.
There is speculation about his knee and certainly could have played into it in terms of considering an extension.
Outside of that I think the Rams like the versatility they have with the front seven and with a few Safties (kept 6) that can plan down low as well.
Reeder, because of his experience getting plays in, is likely to start early.
I have no problem with the other guys on the roster and Im sure everyones new favorite will get reps.
Also....I fully expect....on this board no matter the circumstance or situation, if he is involved in the play or not or even on the field, every big play or score the Rams give up this year will lead to half the board screaming about Reeder.
No matter what.
Hes not great but he's not terrible.
He is a good back up in my estimation, so, I think his time starting is limited. A transitional starter I will say.
But, he will be the whipping boy on this board no matter what.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I promised I wouldn't doubt Snead and McVay after last year.....but.....
Anyway, love Snead but, man, is he bad at trades, the RG3 trade being the exception.
The move doesn't make sense outside of a knee issue.
The Rams don't value LBs all that much, that is clear at this point.
Even so, make him play out his contract.
Reeder will likely start until someone else is deemed ready.

How short our memories are.. .
Kevin Dotson. FANTASTIC trade.
Not sure why the Stafford and Ramsey trades aren't on there.. key factors in a Super Bowl win.

I think what you mean to say is you don't like the trades.. because.. history doesn't really show him to be more bad than good at them.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Not sure why the Stafford and Ramsey trades aren't on there.. key factors in a Super Bowl win.

I think what you mean to say is you don't like the trades.. because.. history doesn't really show him to be more bad than good at them.
Think he's referring to moving players out, not bringing them in.

Moved Woods for peanuts, Ramsey for a guy that's yet to see the field in the RS and a low-round pick and now this...get a 5th rounder back and PAY Tennessee to take one of your captains by throwing in a 6th.

I'm just a fan who hasn't played a single down of organized football in his life, but I don't get it. Feels like they don't even try to get value in this scenario.

fearsomefour

Legend

You're right.
I should have been more clear....trading AWAY players has generally been sub par.
By that I mean Im still bitter over the Ramsey trade to the Dolphins.
I didn't like the Stafford trade initially, thought they gave too much. I am very happy to be proven wrong about that one.
The Dotson trade is fantastic beyond measure.
Its like if Jones goes on to be a Pro Bowl level LB for the Titans.
It just seems solid to good veteran players just don't demand much in the trade market now.
I would have thought Jones could have fetched more than he did.