Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have a feeling what happened was that Jones might not have been hurt, was just advised to sit out per is agent and said he was working through some knee issues. The regime felt that was Me not We and now Jones hangs his hat in Tennessee. Just my opinion, but when McVay first advised the media about Jones, you could see in his eyes and hear in his voice some irritation.
Makes sense.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jones is a good LB.. and, literally bad in coverage.
You’re not losing a difference maker.. especially if he’s missing games because of a bad knee.
They got completely appropriate value, given all the factors. And why don’t you wait and see how good the replacements are and how the money they saved will be spent?
Why post an opinion about anything then....the draft or anything else....why don't we just all wait and see?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So good reading Whit put that clown in his place.
No doubt. Clown with a mic. Zero clue or insight with the Rams or football in general.

Also I love how Whit looks out for the Rams. Truth is with all this kind of stuff you can spin it either way if you wish, but there is no doubt the Rams have earned the benefit of the doubt.

One thing that I see as a common thread among the takes that are most distressed is this thought that Jones is a great ILB. He's a good starter at ILB. Solid range for the position but not the elite level type that the Rams always take care of. So when that is the case you are prone to a business decision, and the Rams don't fuck around in that regard. No matter how we slice this issue it comes down to the nuts and bolts of that first I think. They were planning on letting him play it out prior to all this BS for that reason.

At some point the details will shake out on who did what. I like Den's suggestion above, but theories aside on details he is quite similar to Woody in that he is a great teammate and all that, but he felt he deserved more while the Rams knew he was replaceable and didn't want to hurt the team by paying him. Onwards and upwards.

Psycho_X

Legend
There ya have it sports fans.
Yeah, I've noticed Whit is a good person to follow because he will often provide insight into what really happened with moves without blatantly pointing it out. He's a good listen or read after a vague McVay presser because he's in the know about these things.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why post an opinion about anything then....the draft or anything else....why don't we just all wait and see?
I think there's a difference between.. and I'm not accusing you.. of.. :

"This is dumb they got fleeced"

"I don't understand this move at all"

"I don't like this move"

It's the over-the-top responses criticizing the move as a failure before we know anything on the other end... especially when we're talking about an organization that is very, very successful.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The money and the knee. Seems like those were the biggest factors.
Patrick Queen got just under 14 AAV ... I would think Jones and his people would be looking for at least that. The big difference.. and I'll keep repeating this.. is that Jones isn't good in coverage. That's not going to get better if he's slowing down.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think there's a difference between.. and I'm not accusing you.. of.. :

"This is dumb they got fleeced"

"I don't understand this move at all"

"I don't like this move"

It's the over-the-top responses criticizing the move as a failure before we know anything on the other end... especially when we're talking about an organization that is very, very successful.
I do think its a dumb trade and, while not fleeced, I hate we threw in a pick to make it happen.
Now, obviously, my not liking the trade is based on a nearly complete lack of information.
Its not the trade that bothers me, it the return. But, my perspective on what a fair trade would have been for Jones is probably way off.....esp is his knee is an issue.
It seems like veteran players getting moved has become much easier with compensation being greatly reduced over the last few years in particular.
All that said, I do trust McVay/Snead.....my complaints are akin to going to a 5 star dinner house and complaining about the lighting in the parking lot. Minor stuff.
I do think it shows what they think of the 'backers they have on the roster. Thats a good thing. The fact that the Rams refuses to be held over the coals by a player is also a good thing.
I also think we are going to see some safety play in that old Barron role of a sort of tweener spot. With the signing of Kurl the Rams have a couple safeties who can play that role.

fearsomefour

Legend
The money and the knee. Seems like those were the biggest factors.
Patrick Queen got just under 14 AAV ... I would think Jones and his people would be looking for at least that. The big difference.. and I'll keep repeating this.. is that Jones isn't good in coverage. That's not going to get better if he's slowing down.
Yeah, Jones is very solid at most things.....coverage is not one of them.
Reeder can't cover either.
Rozeboom? I do like Rozeboom more than Reeder from a physical stand point, but, like Reeder is probably a good back up.
Maybe the new kid in town can cover?
Or maybe we will see a lot of 3 safety sets......gotta figure out how to cover Kittle at some point.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, Jones is very solid at most things.....coverage is not one of them.
Reeder can't cover either.
Rozeboom? I do like Rozeboom more than Reeder from a physical stand point, but, like Reeder is probably a good back up.
Maybe the new kid in town can cover?
Or maybe we will see a lot of 3 safety sets......gotta figure out how to cover Kittle at some point.
I'm intrigued with Hummel. Dude had a 9.48 RAS... That's Fred Warner territory. He's an absolute athlete and looked to be really learning this preseason. We'll see. I'm sure I'm seeing it through Rams-tinted glasses.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm intrigued with Hummel. Dude had a 9.48 RAS... That's Fred Warner territory. He's an absolute athlete and looked to be really learning this preseason. We'll see. I'm sure I'm seeing it through Rams-tinted glasses.
Me too.
He has flashed a couple of times in the preseason the last two years.
Athleticism is not an issue with him. An inch shorter but physically pretty close.
I think Reeder starts the season as the starter but others will get reps and eventually he will be replaced.
Some interesting prospects for sure.
I know McVay has talked up Hummel before, but, he also never really talks down about anyone....if he mentions a player by name, he is pleased with them.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams entire MLB group is now currently comprised up of guys who entered the league as undrafted free agents. No other position group can make that claim?

Note: I really like Hummel. He is in his third season when a lot of developmental guys make their biggest leaps.

I think the knee thing is why Jones was traded and why they got a limited return. He missed lot of time this offseason and in camp opening the door for others to emerge and demonstate there was no real drop off without him.

If he was truly limited then it was a big red flag about him even being constiently available this year and if he was milking the knee issue and avoiding practices as a negotiating tactic that would not be a good look either especially with him considered to be a team leader.

Anyone getting emotional please take step back off the ledge. It's really not as bad as it may seem (IMHO).

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People have normal emotional reactions to trades like this... we got fleeced, I don't understand this, etc. But the real cause of this meltdown is why the fuck now??? We have high hopes for this season it's only 10 days away! We all thought the offseason was over. Now we are down 2 starting tackles and 1 starting linebacker to the playoff-rival Lions, and still hoping to kick their asses and make a statement. I think once we get over the shock we will all be OK with the trade. My guess... Earnest will have a mediocre season, he will not get paid, and his career will ultimately fade into the limelight. JMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I have a feeling what happened was that Jones might not have been hurt, was just advised to sit out per is agent and said he was working through some knee issues. The regime felt that was Me not We and now Jones hangs his hat in Tennessee. Just my opinion, but when McVay first advised the media about Jones, you could see in his eyes and hear in his voice some irritation.
Yeah, I had an idea in my head that while the knee issue was probably real, he ended up using it as a bargaining chip (possibly sitting out when he could practice) which was a huge miscalculation and once McVay caught wind it was over for him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This has at least brought the entertainment of seeing Big Whit put that youtube "content creator" Jake Ellen in his place after he went on another unprofessional rant about a move Rams made on twitter. Then Jake responded to Big Whit about how he was doing this before Whit was a Ram as that somehow gave him more credibility than a hall of fame super bowl winner and then deleted it after he got flak. Which of course got reposted by some other competing "content creator" and Big Whit called him out again "this isn't a video game" lol. Jake still hasn't learned his lesson I see.

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828644018571657399

View: https://x.com/AndrewWhitworth/status/1828646658776981968

Hahahahahaha. I love this. Kid should honestly just go to J school and learn some stuff.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams are not the team to try and pressure. They won't play that with a LB who has a bad knee. If it was the QB or edge or left tackle maybe they would cough up more money but not for a LB. The LB position is plug and play for the Rams defense.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Ramsey for a back up blocking TE and a pick is a pathetic haul.
It more about return than what a player does with their new team.
I agree the Ramsey haul wasn't great. And I agree there is some validity to just focusing on return rather than what a player does with their new team.

Staying with your analysis, how do you factor in the intangibles the Rams clearly prioritize? They wanted to do right by the player. Whit just said the Rams have a rep for taking care of players that earn it. Now, they've developed a rep for doing right by players who they're trading away. I believe Colin recently said that the Rams have developed a rep as possibly the top destination for players.

If accepting a pathetic haul is part of building the reputation of being a top players destination, is it worth it?