Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well.. how far back we going?
Kevin Greene
Jerome Bettis
London Fletcher
Kurt…
Steelers got us a couple times didn't they. Bettis was epic bad. So was Greene. Hope Dotson helps move that needle our way a bit.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I disagree. If I'm a good player, I'd want my agent to ask for an extension after year 3 as the CBA allows. If you don't ask, you don't get. If I'm an agent, that would be my policy as a matter of course. Just because it sometimes doesn't work out shouldn't deter from that policy.

Winning the SB is great but this is their job; getting a big payday is priority numero uno. And it's speculative at best that the Titans won't pay him.
Right, the agent asked and they said no. Seems like at some point the kept asking.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When the Rams decide to move-on from a player, they do not seem to care much about the return.

It's unfortunate; and, often frustrating and disappointing.

Wondering if there's any relevant background information that comes-out ... Sure hope so because, right now, I don't see how this move helps the Rams in 2025.
Listened to McVay's 18-minute media conference this afternoon, which was dominated by the Jones-move.

I came away with the opinion, that this move was very much about the long-term viability of Jones' knee.

McVay is skilled at being communicative, professional and charming with the media but he often says very little of substance, which I think is smart. Kept referring to the Jones-move as a "Football Decision"; and that is vague. One reporter really tried to push McVay (none of the others did), for more clarity of what that meant but McVay showed his frustration with the guy's question. It was very much out-of-character for McVay.

McVay twice referred to Troy Reeder, which makes me sick because I think Reeder is below-average; and McVay clearly stated that the two starting ILBs right now were Roseboom and Reeder ... not Omar Speights.

He also referenced the current group, and how good he felt about them. Three of the ILBs (Roseboom, Reeder and Hummel) were with the Team last year, and none were first year players. Ernest Jones played 934 snaps last year. Those other three combined were less than 800 defensive snaps. Jones played the most ... by far ... because he was the best of the group ... by far (my opinion).

Towards the end of the media conference, McVay mentioned a couple times about Jones not being available for much of the off-season and training camp work; and how that lack of availability was a problem. McVay used the terms "missed opportunities" and "missed reps" that put him "behind the eight-ball" and that let to him "being behind" ... then he added "that's what led to the football decision".

To Gary Klein's credit, he tried to get more clarity, even asked how Jones' performance the last two years wasn't enough for the Rams to evaluate him despite the missed time this off-season and in training camp. McVay basically responded that each year is a new challenge; and referenced following-up a Super Bowl with a five-win season.

I just came away with the strong feeling that question of Jones' durability was a huge factor here.

My concern is simply that ... other than the potential of an undrafted rookie who looked good against back-up and 3rd teamers in two pre-season games ... the Rams are weak at off-ball / Inside Linebacker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listened to McVay's 18-minute media conference this afternoon, which was dominated by the Jones-move.

I came away with the opinion, that this move was very much about the long-term viability of Jones' knee.

McVay is skilled at being communicative, professional and charming with the media but he often says very little of substance, which I think is smart. Kept referring to the Jones-move as a "Football Decision"; and that is vague. One reporter really tried to push McVay (none of the others did), for more clarity of what that meant but McVay showed his frustration with the guy's question. It was very much out-of-character for McVay.

McVay twice referred to Troy Reeder, which makes me sick because I think Reeder is below-average; and McVay clearly stated that the two starting ILBs right now were Roseboom and Reeder ... not Omar Speights.

He also referenced the current group, and how good he felt about them. Three of the ILBs (Roseboom, Reeder and Hummel) were with the Team last year, and none were first year players. Ernest Jones played 934 snaps last year. Those other three combined were less than 800 defensive snaps. Jones played the most ... by far ... because he was the best of the group ... by far (my opinion).

Towards the end of the media conference, McVay mentioned a couple times about Jones not being available for much of the off-season and training camp work; and how that lack of availability was a problem. McVay used the terms "missed opportunities" and "missed reps" that put him "behind the eight-ball" and that let to him "being behind" ... then he added "that's what led to the football decision".

To Gary Klein's credit, he tried to get more clarity, even asked how Jones' performance the last two years wasn't enough for the Rams to evaluate him despite the missed time this off-season and in training camp. McVay basically responded that each year is a new challenge; and referenced following-up a Super Bowl with a five-win season.

I just came away with the strong feeling that question of Jones' durability was a huge factor here.

My concern is simply that ... other than the potential of an undrafted rookie who looked good against back-up and 3rd teamers in two pre-season games ... the Rams are weak at off-ball / Inside Linebacker.
Best part to me was when he started to get pissed at the guy saying his comment about it being best for the team saying it's funny.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Best part to me was when he started to get pissed at the guy saying his comment about it being best for the team saying it's funny.
Yeah, like most coaches, McVay does not like to be challenged; and he rarely is by the Rams' local media.

McVay is smooth and polite and charming, and he uses a lot of words. Just doesn't say very ... and that's smart.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

They’re listing Reeder & Rozeboom as starters.

I’m assuming that’s in pencil. Speights will be the starter very, very soon.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So McVay sort of spelled out Jones got behind, and when he came back he was facing a situation where the entire room had moved forward in the scheme. So translation is Jones probably struggled upon return a bit, which is understandable, and then they're going into that final season with him and he's behind and the room is looking great so they go into that mode of at this point let's move him.

McVay also said Reeder & Rozeboom are the starters. Clearly they're gonna not rush Speights into the starting Mike role, and let him earn his way to it. And I'm fine with that, given that it won't take long for them to start rolling Speights in there. I'm thinking by week 3 vs SF Speights will be our starting Mike.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Hmm.. perhaps a signal we will be in nickel or dime the majority of the time?

Even still, this is a weird move… If it was knee concerns you’d think you’d roll the dice for experienced depth at least.

Cap space doesn’t do much to help us win a SB now and, again, you’d prefer the depth.

Maybe another move incoming? Likely not…

Hmmm

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
So McVay sort of spelled out Jones got behind, and when he came back he was facing a situation where the entire room had moved forward in the scheme. So translation is Jones probably struggled upon return a bit, which is understandable, and then they're going into that final season with him and he's behind and the room is looking great so they go into that mode of at this point let's move him.

McVay also said Reeder & Rozeboom are the starters. Clearly they're gonna not rush Speights into the starting Mike role, and let him earn his way to it. And I'm fine with that, given that it won't take long for them to start rolling Speights in there. I'm thinking by week 3 vs SF Speights will be our starting Mike.

Idk if I buy this. Why not let him sit for the first few weeks and give him a chance to get caught up? Former green dot and team captain. You just trade him away because he got… “behind” ?