Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Still a mystery to me. TBH Jones was one of my favorite players. Real steady guy who showed solid improvement each and every year. Really seemed to benefit from learning with Wagner. A tackling machine and also timely sacks. I was thinking the Rams were screwed if he got injured, since there seemed to be such thin depth behind him.

So there must be more to the story. How bad was the knee? How much was he disgruntled by the lack of extension? How much did other players catch up to him?

I trust McSnead a ton. But how and why did the Rams became a "better football team" by trading away their defensive captain for a bag of peanuts?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I liked Jones and rather have him than not but he wasn't an amazing ILBer. Might be some drop off but don't think it'll be a ton. Only two things I'm worried about is loss of leadership and who will wear the green dot?

Leadership we have several up and comers already filling that void with Kobie and Verse. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like White pick up some slack too.

Green dot is the most glaring issue right now. If Speights ends up replacing Jones I'd assume a veteran takes over green dot such as Curl or Johnson at safety. If Reeder (god help us) is starting he'll likely be that guy.
Seeing how Lake was named a captain, I’m gonna guess he’ll be wearing the green dot.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's pretty funny how hard they 180'd on this position. They extended Ogletree mid-season in '17, traded him the following offseason and have plugged that position with UDFAs and some late round picks. The Wagner rental being an outlier.

Yeah but in between he made the worst play in playoff history when he whiffed on that rb on 3rd and 12 when there was no reason to rush in like that. First drive of the half, Rams had made a mini comeback before the half and needed to get the ball back. The falcons ended up holding it for 9 mins and scoring a td.

That was a "cut that guy" the moment I saw it. I couldn't have been happier when they traded him away in the off season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

how ... did the Rams became a "better football team" by trading away their defensive captain for a bag of peanuts?

That's my question.

I'm hoping there's something more ... major concern over the long-term viability of Jones' knee, and/or a problem with his attitude and work ethic once an extension did not pan-out.

I try not to read too much into things but there was a post-practice McVay/media Q&A several weeks ago. Jones was not practicing, and a reporter asked if it was his knee.

McVay (who has being courteous and professional in his responses to media questions while saying almost nothing of substance down to an Art Form) seemed genuinely pissed-off when he answered along the lines of 'Yeah, it's the same thing as last year' . He seemed annoyed, frustrated, angry, disappointed ... really not happy. I thought about posting something back then but decided not to speculate.

Psycho_X

Legend
Seeing how Lake was named a captain, I’m gonna guess he’ll be wearing the green dot.
That's fine I just didn't think he'd be out there for 100% of the snaps like he'd need to be with the dot. I know he's probably the star/nickel back but I'm sure there's some packages where that won't be used. Unless he is a starting safety which is possible. All conjecture so no idea, I'm just thinking out loud lol.

RamWoodie

Legend
You can't blame the guy for trying to secure his future. Whatever he was asking for...the Rams weren't willing to pay. He was definitely the leader on D.

Now....does it mean Mathis returns as a backup???

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Lake will get the dot, I'm guessing he'll be at safety in base packages.

Here's also the rules in regards to the dot:
Each offensive and defensive team is permitted no more than one player on the field with a speaker in his helmet. Each team is permitted to have a maximum of three active radio receivers to be used on offense by its quarterbacks, and a maximum of three active radio receivers to be used on defense by players who have been designated as a primary and backup users.

Link