Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He said it. He doesn’t get it, unless there is something we don’t know.

I guess there’s no reason to read the article.
I suspect you are right about the knee but time will tell. Even so, it’s a blow and so how we adjust is going to be on everyone’s mind including opposing offenses

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Jones is a nice LB. He stood out among our other LB’s in the room. A room traditionally full of high motor overachievers.

I actually think his experience and leadership is the real loss here though. I just don’t see Jones as an impact player in terms of big plays or a momentum mover.

The Rams don’t value the position it’s really that simple. It’s worked thus far. Im just not upset about this. I was far more disappointed when we let Littleton go. Turns out it was a nothing burger so…

OT: And for the fans who really like to hold onto them picks and get more picks….I smell another big trade deadline acquisition coming at the deadline.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well, we all hope they're right. And maybe they will be. But right now, it's a leap of faith, and all they're really getting in return is peanuts in draft compensation (probably would've gotten more in the comp formula if he played out his contract) and a couple million in cap savings.

OTOH, if Speights doesn't work out, we're left with Reeder, Rozeboom and Hummel. :wow2:
That is my concern. Our depth and LB talent was already concerning with EJ on the team. Hopefully the Rams aren't done making moves but I honestly don't know how or who will if they do make a move. Guessing its gonna be a committee thing like someone else mentioned earlier

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
IMG_5033.jpeg

Saw this comment on Reddit and found it interesting and thought you guys might too. Could be bullshit but sounds believable.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Again. That was basically a devil's advocate type post. But common can't say in God conscious that the Rams don't treat their players dirty
I think they treat their players better than most teams. Backed up by what players say around the league.
But they won't be slighted either. With Goff he was regressing. There was talk that McVay wasn't happy with the time he was putting in considering all the struggling he was doing. The big change started when Miami Zero covered him to death when all week long they worked on what they would do in those situations because they were known for that.

I Guarantee you Goff put in way more time after he woke up and realized he was replaceable. In that respect they did him a favor.

On the other hand you have what they did for Ramsey. Hardly mistreated him.

NFL is a hard business and I am sure the Rams can be pretty hard like all the other teams They have to be. But dirty, I don't think so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Unless Tenn gives him a new contract.
I liken it to Vonn Miller. Vonn didn’t really want to leave. He griped about it once OTA’s started in Buffalo.

Ernest comes out and says he didn’t ask to be traded. He wanted to stay. Either way, he’s in the same boat. Hoping for a contract that I don’t think he’ll get since he was brought into Tennessee due to injuries to their LBers and he will be playing all season trying to earn a contract in free agency. He could have done that with the Rams, where he wanted to be.

I’d say his agent misplayed his hand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You may be right; we may never find out. But it still feels like they got fleeced again.
I think they got what they could. 5th round got us Puka and Kyren. Not a bad trade.
I of course thought it would be better if he played out the season, but baring that.....

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
This is a shocker to us fans and this late in TC. But apparently this was not such for the Rams. It’s been in the works - moving on from EJ. I trust the coaching staff here big time. They feel they have the position sufficiently covered with internal options; maybe even EJ had been passed up. Best of all, we get extra cap space.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The more I think about this, the less it makes sense. Why not let him play out his contract and get a comp pick when he leaves? How do you trade your starting ILB a week before the season opener... I just don't get it.... But, I don't get paid to understand these things.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The Rams don’t value the position it’s really that simple.
It's pretty funny how hard they 180'd on this position. They extended Ogletree mid-season in '17, traded him the following offseason and have plugged that position with UDFAs and some late round picks. The Wagner rental being an outlier.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It seems that if you are not a star player, the Rams don’t fuck around.
Yes. Proven to be true under McVay over and over and over. If you're not elite on the field watch your P's and Q's.

He said it. He doesn’t get it, unless there is something we don’t know.

I guess there’s no reason to read the article.
That dude doesn't get a lot. And I rarely find reason to read what he thinks.

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
I liked Jones but there are so many reasons this makes sense.
-The Rams don't value the position
-They weren't extending him
-They like Speights both as a player and at his salary for a position that isn't important to them.
- New coach and/or defensive scheme may fit Speights better and/or may use Safety (where we are incredibly deep)
- Got an assured draft pick later where a comp pick may not have been guaranteed, should we go heavy on free agents

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need to give Speights a number in the 50s. 48 is a fucking DB number.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Name
Mike
I think they treat their players better than most teams. Backed up by what players say around the league.
But they won't be slighted either. With Goff he was regressing. There was talk that McVay wasn't happy with the time he was putting in considering all the struggling he was doing. The big change started when Miami Zero covered him to death when all week long they worked on what they would do in those situations because they were known for that.

I Guarantee you Goff put in way more time after he woke up and realized he was replaceable. In that respect they did him a favor.

On the other hand you have what they did for Ramsey. Hardly mistreated him.

NFL is a hard business and I am sure the Rams can be pretty hard like all the other teams They have to be. But dirty, I don't think so.
Again. I was playing devil's advocate. Trust me I'm not at all concerned. Message was never supposed to be posted. Lol. Because I was like why am I trying to explain myself?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You want to listen to D’Marco talk about this? Damn good video on the breakdown and he talks about Kevin Carter with the SB Rams contract talks etc. good listen
I love how Demarco is like "give me a second" before he heard it. Farr's the best. :laugh3:

Personally I think Speights is for real. We noticed the dude on defense and teams, ranging all over the field making plays. Honestly I haven't seen a rookie ILB who has excited me like that since Fletcher. That's what... over 20 years? I don't feel like taking off my shoes. It's been a long ass time since we've hit on a rookie offball backer. I mean Jones was solid and all but he wasn't an impact dude like Fletch was, where the first fucking moment he was in the game you felt him like that.

Now I don't know if Speights can sustain that. But what if he can. And honestly the fact the Rams moved a solid starter out to make room for him says a lot here. We can rationalize that maybe it's the contract, or the knee, and I am sure those factored in. But Speights also factored in here I think. So I've got my fingers crossed that we are witnessing the beginning for one of those rare players who comes out of nowhere and becomes a beloved part of the franchise.