Draft Possibilities First round (@ Pick 31)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming you were speaking to me. I don't wing things; I've researched the hell out of these prospects. I had Ferguson down as a sleeper prospect for some time (likely before most here knew who he was, which isn't bragging; I simply have a prospect binge even after the draft), but as I looked more into him, I saw warts. He's not a bad prospect; just not one who fits the system that Wade has. He's simply not fit to be a 3-4 end or linebacker; he's strictly a 4-3 defensive end.

He'll be a good player for someone else, but he doesn't fit the system.

I apologize if it seemed I was winging things.

You shouldn't be apologizing, Memento. You've earned the right to give your opinion without having to justify yourself. I don't fully agree with you on Ferguson, but we aren't that far apart either. You certainly don't deserve to be insulted or have anyone imply that you don't know shit about shit. You are one of the best draft resources here.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@Memento, what jrry32 said.

What happened to being a somewhat friendly authoress? Don't apologize when you aren't wrong. Especially not on the internet.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You shouldn't be apologizing, Memento. You've earned the right to give your opinion without having to justify yourself. I don't fully agree with you on Ferguson, but we aren't that far apart either. You certainly don't deserve to be insulted or have anyone imply that you don't know crap about crap. You are one of the best draft resources here.

@Memento, what jrry32 said.

What happened to being a somewhat friendly authoress? Don't apologize when you aren't wrong. Especially not on the internet.

Thanks, guys. I just figure that there's no harm in being polite. I've been called much worse, so it pretty much rolls off my back. :D

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Where do you get these stats? Do you even look before posting - you know you look stupid unfortunately. You need to look at Ferguson he is 6'5" and 271 I think that easily qualifies to play the position. BTW no De/OLB needs a fast 40. But he did have 17.5 sacks leading the NCAA and oh BTW he lead the NCAA as the all time sack leader over a career.

There are posters who come prepared and others who wing it. How about stop winging it and do your homework.

If you are responding to me, you better go back and read the post again.

What? Did you even read the post you responded to here? Chill with calling people stupid, especially when you seem to be agreeing with him. And Memento certainly isn't stupid for what he said.

@jrry32, thank you for speaking up, I appreciate it.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
The change in the potency and explosiveness of our offense the moment Kupp went down. Put Kupp in our lineup for the Super Bowl and we win that game IMO. Moving forward we could look to add another wideout, but the return on that for the draft position isn't as good as finding a plus TE in the passing game. Keep stacking playmaking talent, and TE is the ideal spot to do that.

Don't want to get into a big back and forth, though, on needs. We've done that ad nauseum elsewhere and trying to keep this about potential picks there at 31 so we can focus in a bit on guys who are the top options.

Lastly I will be throwing out a summary here too re: some of the groupings, as I think that's a fun conversation too. By that I mean listing the group of players we can 100% assume will be off the board, so we can hone in a bit on the identification of that second group of potential options.

I just got to here on this post.

— At training camp Everett was banged up & Higbee has the dropzy’s. Demoff & Snead were there on the side. I know I pissed Demoff off big time. He came at me like I was going to get thrown out.
I told them about not having a TE . IT’s not like Higbee & Everett are bad either. The Rams need an extra TE no matter what !!

The trade back from day 1(31) might have huge value ?? The TE position usually holds value later in the 2nd, so to draft a TE mid 2nd you could still Fet the best player ?

Little was a guy I liked, go back & watch his 40. Talk about explosive!!! JUJu is still young at WR. The trade back for The Rams was awesome.

I would have went JUju Smith before Everett.
Wow- live the Copper Kupp pick, but NO picked Kamara right before him.I liked Kittle, but the need(TE) was so there The Rams couldn’t wait.
I think Everett will have a career year & Higbbe is solid. Still The Rams need a game changer if they can.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

— At training camp Everett was banged up & Higbee has the dropzy’s. Demoff & Snead were there on the side. I know I ticked Demoff off big time. He came at me like I was going to get thrown out.
I told them about not having a TE . IT’s not like Higbee & Everett are bad either. The Rams need an extra TE no matter what !!

The trade back from day 1(31) might have huge value ?? The TE position usually holds value later in the 2nd, so to draft a TE mid 2nd you could still Fet the best player ?

Little was a guy I liked, go back & watch his 40. Talk about explosive!!! JUJu is still young at WR. The trade back for The Rams was awesome.

Wow- live the Copper Kupp pick, but NO picked Kamara right before him.I liked Kittle, but the need(TE) was so there The Rams couldn’t wait.
I think Everett will have a career year & Higbbe is solid. Still The Rams need a game changer if they can.
Got approached by a mad Demoff?? #yikes
I'm still not sure what we have in Everett. I think with this offseason to train, he could get that much better. He's had some really good plays for us, and is terrific in space creating YAC.
That said, I don't think of Higbeast as a clear #2, let alone a #1. If we picked up a great TE in round 1, or even jrry's sleeper TE, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Everett poses a threat, but he's not a guy you absolutely must account for (like Kittle or Kelce). Unless one of the top 2 TE's fall to us at #31, or Snead trades up to get them, we should just sit until round 3 & pick BPA (looking more & more like a DT or OG / OC).
Hindsight drafts are dangerous -- many teams are surely kicking themselves for passing on Aaron Donald, who is far & away the best player in that draft. Ya we'd look much different with JuJu & Kittle, but Kupp has been a much-needed go-to WR for Goff, so much so that it's almost like having both wrapped up into one player. Kupp can get the YAC too, and at 6'2 he's no easy target to take down. Really hoping he takes his time & gets to a full recovery -- I'd even wager to say he's deserving of the 'vet' treatment: lots of breaks, easy practices, etc. He already knows the O inside & out, and is so polished as a route runner there's almost nothing left to teach him. Such a shame he was injured. I don't think he drops those TD's in the SB.
Not to say I wish we didn't have Cooks -- I think maybe he got a bit of the yips, like figure skaters do at the Olympics -- when one falls, they almost all start falling. Cooks is our downfield threat, and still had pretty decent hands. His catch radius is what's a bit concerning. Kupp is our biggest WR at the moment, except for Reynolds -- I wish he could bulk up a bit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

— At training camp Everett was banged up & Higbee has the dropzy’s. Demoff & Snead were there on the side. I know I ticked Demoff off big time. He came at me like I was going to get thrown out.

I think at the time and place their choice of Everett was a solid one, McVay was fresh coming in and wanted a weapon that fits what he wanted to do. Everett's got year 3 coming up here this season, so given that he's a TE we should probably wait and see how he looks and by year's end we will have a good idea on that pick. And yes he did some good things last year specifically, I just want to see more of it.

This is a damn good year to find a TE and I do think the Rams are looking to improve the room with Higs hitting FA here soon. And I believe if either Fant or Hockenson get close to our draft spot the Rams will jump and grab them. Just like they would do so for some other special players in this one who might end up sliding a bit. Fant is a bigger and better version of Everett in every conceivable way except for running after the catch. I am sure McVay will flip out if he ends up being there mid 20s.

Hockenson, however, is going to be much more dangerous to defenses because he is an excellent blocker. IMO media overlook the correlation between being a good blocker and the way defenses struggle to keep an eye on you. In that first instant of a play--if you are a plus blocker and are selling a block action--defenses will focus to their next read. You see it over and over whereas guys like Everett or Fant are focused to the whistle by a LB or DB. This is why I absolutely love the big TEs who can block, that plus the way DBs bounce off them when they try to line them up for a big hit lmao.

So if things go the way I expect Hockenson will be snapped up very early, within the top 15 and maybe sooner, because not only can he win snaps for you on run downs/calls, but he can also torch a defense as a huge weapon across the middle or down a seam. He's not the athlete Fant is, but I think he's going to be a great TE in this league.

IMO what we're going to have to do is find a guy we like somewhere after round 1 and some of the guys here have suggested intriguing options like the SD St kid. Gonna put up the Bama TE today, haven't really looked hard at him yet but should here soon.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Got approached by a mad Demoff?? #yikes
I'm still not sure what we have in Everett. I think with this offseason to train, he could get that much better. He's had some really good plays for us, and is terrific in space creating YAC.
That said, I don't think of Higbeast as a clear #2, let alone a #1. If we picked up a great TE in round 1, or even jrry's sleeper TE, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Everett poses a threat, but he's not a guy you absolutely must account for (like Kittle or Kelce). Unless one of the top 2 TE's fall to us at #31, or Snead trades up to get them, we should just sit until round 3 & pick BPA (looking more & more like a DT or OG / OC).
Hindsight drafts are dangerous -- many teams are surely kicking themselves for passing on Aaron Donald, who is far & away the best player in that draft. Ya we'd look much different with JuJu & Kittle, but Kupp has been a much-needed go-to WR for Goff, so much so that it's almost like having both wrapped up into one player. Kupp can get the YAC too, and at 6'2 he's no easy target to take down. Really hoping he takes his time & gets to a full recovery -- I'd even wager to say he's deserving of the 'vet' treatment: lots of breaks, easy practices, etc. He already knows the O inside & out, and is so polished as a route runner there's almost nothing left to teach him. Such a shame he was injured. I don't think he drops those TD's in the SB.
Not to say I wish we didn't have Cooks -- I think maybe he got a bit of the yips, like figure skaters do at the Olympics -- when one falls, they almost all start falling. Cooks is our downfield threat, and still had pretty decent hands. His catch radius is what's a bit concerning. Kupp is our biggest WR at the moment, except for Reynolds -- I wish he could bulk up a bit.

Yeah - I think The Rams Best all around WR is Woods !! He brings so much as well. He & Copper run excellent routes. Cooks will improve & might have the most receiving yards. Reynolds was Definitely the weak link.

From my perspective — value is to trade back ? That also depends on who is available??

I say The Rams should wait until the late 3rd rd to pick 1. Josh Oliver San Jose St.
2. Kahale Warring SDSU
3. Caleb Wilson UCLA
Waldon will have a big say in the selection as well. McVay is a TE’s guy.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I think at the time and place their choice of Everett was a solid one, McVay was fresh coming in and wanted a weapon that fits what he wanted to do. Everett's got year 3 coming up here this season, so given that he's a TE we should probably wait and see how he looks and by year's end we will have a good idea on that pick. And yes he did some good things last year specifically, I just want to see more of it.

This is a damn good year to find a TE and I do think the Rams are looking to improve the room with Higs hitting FA here soon. And I believe if either Fant or Hockenson get close to our draft spot the Rams will jump and grab them. Just like they would do so for some other special players in this one who might end up sliding a bit. Fant is a bigger and better version of Everett in every conceivable way except for running after the catch. I am sure McVay will flip out if he ends up being there mid 20s.

Hockenson, however, is going to be much more dangerous to defenses because he is an excellent blocker. IMO media overlook the correlation between being a good blocker and the way defenses struggle to keep an eye on you. In that first instant of a play--if you are a plus blocker and are selling a block action--defenses will focus to their next read. You see it over and over whereas guys like Everett or Fant are focused to the whistle by a LB or DB. This is why I absolutely love the big TEs who can block, that plus the way DBs bounce off them when they try to line them up for a big hit lmao.

So if things go the way I expect Hockenson will be snapped up very early, within the top 15 and maybe sooner, because not only can he win snaps for you on run downs/calls, but he can also torch a defense as a huge weapon across the middle or down a seam. He's not the athlete Fant is, but I think he's going to be a great TE in this league.

IMO what we're going to have to do is find a guy we like somewhere after round 1 and some of the guys here have suggested intriguing options like the SD St kid. Gonna put up the Bama TE today, haven't really looked hard at him yet but should here soon.

I’m going to go with Josh Oliver for value. Your point is well taken & yes The Rams need to seriously upgrade at TE. Higbee will be a FA & McVay has had a hard time using his TE’s as well as he did in Washington.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next up is another TE that I personally don't see as an option for us at 31 (round 2 or later prospect IMO), but since we're on the cusp of round 2 and can't rule him out I figure I'd better put him up. He's a really good football player as you'd expect from a guy who plays for Saban, and does a lot of things well.

Irv Smith, TE, Bama

Strengths: extremely versatile, in the Bama offense he would block in-line and on the move and function as a passing game threat. Given that environment I have to think he'll play quickly for whoever drafts him which is why I think he could go round 2. Good strength for his size.

Weaknesses: average at everything, basically. Isn't going to whoop LBs and DBs as a passing game mismatch, but on the other side he's not as good a blocker as the bigger guys who will make their bones on early downs.

2018 vs Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaWqif1-Kw

2017 vs Tennessee

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4f5YEc490Q

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Curious about Dexter Lawrence at NT, and how he compares to the 2 first round picks last year of Vita Vea & DaRon Payne. Thanks in advance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Curious about Dexter Lawrence at NT, and how he compares to the 2 first round picks last year of Vita Vea & DaRon Payne. Thanks in advance.

I'll let the guys here who are more dedicated & knowledgeable at this stuff answer that one. But I do like Lawrence very much, doubt we have a shot at him but damn it would be nice. And he's on that list of guys I think the Rams might jump up a small bit for.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so I have been overlooking this guy a bit in the OL group. Hadn't gotten to his film yet due to the listing I started with having him sort of low (as I have said many times I'm not a guy who has the time and wherewithal to watch loads of tape on every prospect way before the draft so my lists tend to suck) but as I watch him he is impressive and makes this OL group even more likely to place a highly valued prospect at 31. He is another OT who looks like he'll slide in to OG at the NFL level, but if a team sees him as an OT even better for him as those guys do tend to rise due to so many teams needing them. Looking at him vs the others, he's right there with the Bama kid which is to say I'd guess he'll be off the board before 31 and help push those two zone interior OL down to us.

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas St

Strengths: straight powerhouse of a lineman. Run blocks he dictates, and even tosses dudes with the right leverage. Pass blocking much was made of his feet but even when kick sliding he's tough to move. I love how this guy plays the game, he's got some serious edge and competitiveness.

Weaknesses: as an OT he looks a little stiff and his kick slide/feet will need work to play on the edge; I think he will struggle vs speed rushers in the NFL. Older dude compared to some of these guys too.

2018 vs Mississippi St (some nice duels with Sweat)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReLnXRYv3Y

2018 vs West Virginia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-DNJrSgYU

His thoughts on playing inside/outside in NFL

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyc0dvVMzlo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CBs with top cover skills just got a boost from this rules change IMO. Kid from Georgia for example .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excellent thread @Merlin. Question for you ...are there trade possibilities for our first round selection?

I have a very small list of draft prospects that I would desire @ #31 @ this time. My desired Ram prospects stand a very good chance to be off the board before the Rams can play.

My top five list:
NT- Jerry Simmons to replace Suh
NT- Dexter Lawrence to replace Suh
LG- Garrett Bradbury to replace Saffold
ILB- Devin Bush to replace Barron
OLB/ER-Brian Burns to replace Fowler in 2020.

With these five prospects most soundly off the board ...presently I am thinking how Snead can utilize this first-round selection's value to the fullest by trading this first-day selection for two second day selections in this draft. Which NFL team might be in play who would desire to move back or trade up for this selection?

More I study this current Ram roster I see that we DO have some holes to fill. Trading down from late in the first round to acquire an extra pick or two would give Snead the best chance to fill some of those holes. thus getting the best in return for this selection. The fact being this pick has Fifth-Year Option Contract value. The value of Fifth-Year Option can provide a team who desires more security if it invests a valuable first-round pick on a player like a QB.

There are 4 teams (Bear/Browns/Cowboys/Saints) who do not have a first round selection's. If Washington misses on a QB with their first pick #15 they might want to get back into the first round to get the BA QB with the #31 & they have a 2/#47, 3/#76 & 3/#96 picks to make a deal with Snead.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@BonifayRam I do agree a trade down would be very nice. Particularly because into round 2 you should have some good OL options (too many for them all to be taken in the last half of round one and many more round to round thereafter), OLB options (guys like Winovich who I think goes round 2 and will outperform some guys taken higher), NT options (after Lawrence there are fits like Wren and Saunders who might not make it to us in round 3), and even safety (guy like Rapp isn't a round 1 dude IMO but he'll definitely be in play round 2).

Suspect there is a very small list of guys who Les would jump up for, guys who end up going much later than the Rams board has them. Guys like Bush, CGJ/Adderly, and Greedy I would guess. Maybe one of those OT/OG types who are ready to play day one on the interior like Williams or Risner too.

What I don't have a good grasp of is the mocks and who goes where tbh. I mean if this draft goes like it looks now with all the edge and rush guys at the top half, plus a few QB (who would be reaches IMO), it seems to me like BPA has a really good chance to be OL. Which is deep with plenty of options.

Current draft needs IMO:

1. NT starter. Most glaring need by far going into draft.
2. OL depth/competition on the interior. They will not risk their protections coming up short and Goff suffering.
3. CB depth. We are an injury from Talib away from not being a Super Bowl contender.
4. OLB upgrade. Roster looks solid but if they can hit on an edge pick it would be significant.
5. ILB starter. Roster flexibility and nickel packages impact this IMO.
6. TE depth. By far the easiest way they can improve the explosiveness of the offense.
7. S depth. There is a chance we get really lucky at the position with guy like Adderly (doubt CGJ makes it to us but who knows lol).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw we haven't even gotten into the WR position yet. There are some fine prospects at the position, will start on them next.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Current draft needs IMO:

I'm curious why it must be a NT and not a DE or 3 & 5Tech DT? Can you be sure that Brockers won't be moving back inside ? Is DE really Brockers better position now ?

Wherever/whatever Brockers is listed as on the depth chart, I have to imagine he will still be rotating between the two positions pretty regularly, and if Franklin-Myers is ahead of Joseph-Day in their development, wouldn't Brockers as the experienced vet be more likely to get the bulk of the NT snaps ?
While I agree that the DL has the most glaring hole since the departure of Suh, it seems that the best candidate at either position will be considered at #31. jmo.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious why it must be a NT and not a DE or 3 & 5Tech DT? Can you be sure that Brockers won't be moving back inside ? Is DE really Brockers better position now ?

You may be right. But I have never felt like Brock had it in him to be a good NT, and us playing through last season with Suh getting washed out of plays for 3/4 of the year didn't exactly change my mind.

Only thing I'll say is Wade doesn't have his nose 2 gap, but still what is required is a guy who can anchor in vs the run. It was a huge need last year around this time, and it still is IMO.

Oh and re: who they'll pick, I think it is moreso a case of BPA. And if the BPA isn't a need, plus they like some other guys still on the board, that move down comes into play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam I do agree a trade down would be very nice. Particularly because into round 2 you should have some good OL options (too many for them all to be taken in the last half of round one and many more round to round thereafter), OLB options (guys like Winovich who I think goes round 2 and will outperform some guys taken higher), NT options (after Lawrence there are fits like Wren and Saunders who might not make it to us in round 3), and even safety (guy like Rapp isn't a round 1 dude IMO but he'll definitely be in play round 2).

Suspect there is a very small list of guys who Les would jump up for, guys who end up going much later than the Rams board has them. Guys like Bush, CGJ/Adderly, and Greedy I would guess. Maybe one of those OT/OG types who are ready to play day one on the interior like Williams or Risner too.

What I don't have a good grasp of is the mocks and who goes where tbh. I mean if this draft goes like it looks now with all the edge and rush guys at the top half, plus a few QB (who would be reaches IMO), it seems to me like BPA has a really good chance to be OL. Which is deep with plenty of options.

Current draft needs IMO:

2. OL depth/competition on the interior. They will not risk their protections coming up short and Goff suffering.
3. CB depth. We are an injury from Talib away from not being a Super Bowl contender.
4. OLB upgrade. Roster looks solid but if they can hit on an edge pick it would be significant.
5. ILB starter. Roster flexibility and nickel packages impact this IMO.
6. TE depth. By far the easiest way they can improve the explosiveness of the offense.
7. S depth. There is a chance we get really lucky at the position with guy like Adderly (doubt CGJ makes it to us but who knows lol).
Ref. possible OL prospects.....Garrett Bradbury OC/OG, Chris Lindstrom OG & Cody Ford OG would be my top 3 who fits in with Kromers OZS. Bradbury is the only one I would take with the #31st. Both Ford & Linstrom would be very good 2nd round selections.

Ref Rams DL= Way too light & too small as a unit. If Wade continues to go small & light then he better draft a tough active run stuffing tackling machine to play the MLB'er post.
I'm curious why it must be a NT and not a DE or 3 & 5Tech DT? Can you be sure that Brockers won't be moving back inside ? Is DE really Brockers better position now ?Wherever/whatever Brockers is listed as on the depth chart, I have to imagine he will still be rotating between the two positions pretty regularly, and if Franklin-Myers is ahead of Joseph-Day in their development, wouldn't Brockers as the experienced vet be more likely to get the bulk of the NT snaps ?
While I agree that the DL has the most glaring hole since the departure of Suh, it seems that the best candidate at either position will be considered at #31. jmo.

Brockers has started @ the 3 tech 43 D position early with the Rams. Brockers best position is most likely an interior position next to the 3 tech DL post in a 43 D. I would imagine that in FA'cy next year. Teams that will most probably sign Brockers to a contract will play Brockers in a 43 D interior position.

Unless Snead drafts a true legit NT with talent either day one or day two of the draft ......Brockers is sure to see a ton of snaps @ NT. 2nd yr project NT Sebastian Joseph-Day never dressed for a regular season game his rookie season. I would think Wade likes the option of having his veteran DL'er Brockers available to take snaps @ the 5 tech DE post & the NT post. Thus an NT is sure to be selected @ some point. Brockers is fully able to play the NT position for the near $11 million & not complain. He will be playing his final season under this 2nd Ram contract.

I project that Wade will move the 24 yr old 6-3 275 pound Morgan Fox (who signed his contract on March 12th, 2019) back to his original 5 tech DE position to be teamed with 2nd yr DE John Franklin-Myers. Fox will enter his 4th Ram training camp & pre-season & offers a good back up & rotational player for JFM. Fox has 20 NFL gms of experience to go with JFM 19 NFL gms. I have no issues with these two young DL'ers taking the majority of 5 tech post snaps. The 6-4 JFM should come in this Training Camp close to 300 lbs of firm mean muscle & ready secure his starting position.

Last edited: