Draft Possibilities First round (@ Pick 31)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are all our starters that will be free agents next year:

Littleton
Fowler
Brockers
Talib
Peters
Higbee
Whitworth

Whitworth is gone for sure (or at least we should plan on that), as are Talib and Brockers IMO. Littleton should be the priority to re-sign, and then I'd bet that we plan on using the tag on Fowler or Peters if one of them plays better this year than last.

Given what we have on the roster already, here's how I would rank the replacements for these players in order of priority:

1. Whitworth - once Noteboom moves to LT, we have nobody on the roster to take over at G for him
2. Talib - we've seen what life is like with our CBs sans Talib and it wasn't pretty
3. Brockers - only this high because there's currently nobody to play next to him except for our young draftees from last year - I have no problem losing Brockers, but we'll need to add talent next to Donald on the DL
4. Fowler - only this low because he's the most likely to get franchised IMO - also, we have Obo and Ebukam who will further be groomed this year and if Fowler should leave, we would spend resources to replace him next offseason
5. Littleton - only this low because I can't see us letting him leave - he'll be next years version of Fowler
6. Peters - I still have faith in Peters, but with a CB1 I'd be comfortable with Troy Hill at CB2 - he played VERY well in that role two years ago. He struggled this year, but the whole secondary was a mess without Talib.
7. Higbee - yes, he's a better blocker than Everett - but I feel like we could replace him easily if he left, and I also feel like he will be re-signed for a relatively cheap contract

That said, I think they'll be focusing on OL/CB/DL in the upcoming draft, and then moving on to ILB depth and TE depth. Paying 5 or 6 cornerstone players such a big chunk of the cap, as we will most likely will be if we extend Johnson, Kupp and Goff after this year - the draft is almost always going to be about next year, because so many players will be walking in FA.

nighttrain

Legend
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson seems like a very real possibility.

I think Simmons will be too good to pass up for a team ahead of the Rams, despite the injury. Ditto for some of these others, even a guy like Adderley (Seattle needs a rangy safety).

I’d be happy with any of the guys listed but just think they are too good to still be available.

I hope they don’t waste a pick on a TE in round 1. Good TEs can be found in later rounds usually.
Simmons or trade down
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do people think we would draft a safety in the first round? Doesn't Wade usually get relatively unknown safeties and make them better? Considering we have an emerging star at safety already, I think it's far more likely that we groom Countess to start after Weddle than draft one.

Unless he can also play CB.

I think it's that there's some good safety prospects that might be graded out very well and on the board when we're on the clock at 31. Another position that might irritate fans for that reason is wideout. There are some very good talents early on and it's hard to say who goes where. Hate to do it but I think they need to be put up too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's that there's some good safety prospects that might be graded out very well and on the board when we're on the clock at 31. Another position that might irritate fans for that reason is wideout. There are some very good talents early on and it's hard to say who goes where. Hate to do it but I think they need to be put up too.

I'm all for WR actually. Part of the reason our offense went in the dumpster at times was the loss of Kupp - IMO he's elite so that's not a huge surprise - but if McVay wants to play 3 WRs 95% of the time, odds are one will get hurt during the season. Last year it was Woods for a few games, although we got lucky it was only a few. From that perspective, you could almost say WR4 is a needed position if Reynolds doesn't get better.

This thread is awesome and you should put any and all available players that will be their at 31.

Ram65

Legend
I can't see the Rams taking a safety in round #1 although, there looks to be a good one available. JJ will get top $$$$ soon so I expect a later round pick here.

The Rams could get another year out of Talib after this year. Don't think they would franchise Peters. A CB could be in order in round #1. Never have enough good CBs. Could get value here with all the good defensive players available early.

Devin Bush anyone? He could slide to the Rams. Showed some speed in the 40. Solid cover and tackler ILBer that could take over for Barron.

Dexter Lawrence would finally give the Rams a young big man in the middle next to Donald. Joseph-Day and Smart are on the roster but, this guy is a big space eater that can get a push up the middle. This could be the last year for Brockers so getting the D Line ready for the future is a must.

Still seems like the draft is a long way away. Bottom line is the Rams need to plan for the future of the defense. Lot's of places to fill in.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Honestly, I think Ferguson doesn't fit a 3-4. Too slow to be an outside linebacker, too small to be a defensive end.

Lead the country in Sacks from the Edge ...... production trumps speed in my book

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
you could almost say WR4 is a needed position if Reynolds doesn't get better.

I don't get this statement..... if Reynolds doesn't get better. He did an outstanding job IMO filling in. He has good separation skills. He was open more in the Superbowl than people want to acknowledge.
Now, on the other hand, I'm surprised that people don't want to question the contract of Brandin Cooks. He is due 15-mil this season. Can you say overpaid? Cooks had 2 opportunities to catch TD's in the Superbowl and came away empty.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You dudes are gonna roast me for this one, but here's a guy that's been listed here in some mocks in the round 3 range, and who really sets himself apart from the rest of the "high motor" type edge rushers with an ability to simply never take a play off. This dude is balls out every single play.

And yeah, he looks to me on film like a mid 2nd round guy, given a very impressive workout that belied what many thought he'd do on top of that good film. But since he's obviously a nice fit for us (I think he could drop about 5-10 pounds in fact and not lose strength judging from his punch/shed) and he may very well end up being the guy we get after a drop down from our first round pick, I figured it's worthwhile to put him up. And I know, I'm breaking my own rules here in this thread but what the hell gotta have fun with it right? :p

Chase Winovich, Edge, Michigan

Strengths: motor is what most talk about with him. But he is extremely strong, sets a good edge, and has excellent instincts on the rush. He gets results ugly sometimes and you'll think "he got lucky" but then he keeps doing it. And while he's pretty good with his hands I think he's got some room to improve on his technique, i.e. I don't see him as some polished rusher that he's often sold in the draft summaries I've seen on him.

Weaknesses: I think his primary weakness is his directional change ability when he's on the move, i.e. he's not a guy who's light on his feet (again I think he's a little too heavy) and it affects his contain. He also doesn't have that crazy edge burst/twitch that the elite types have. And he also can be a bit slow on the snap anticipation.

2018 vs Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTuLRPefnc

2017 vs Ohio St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdRYOOfO-lA

Funny interview with Rich Eisen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY22OWGLOkY

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to put up a couple safeties, since personally I have a hard time figuring where they might end up and as far as I know either of them could end up being there at 31. This is a guy I think is the better of the two, in that he can do it all. Pretty close tbh to the Bama kid (who I have on the "gone" list) but just a guy who looks like an impact player and a fit for Wade and what he likes to do:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida

Strengths: jesus this guy looks good in man or zone, he has range as the single high, great instincts, plays fast, even plays well vs the run particularly this past season. Has corner-like twitch and suddenness.

Weaknesses: I have to reach here, with something like his 2017 games he still needed some work vs the run. Honestly it's kind of hard to imagine this guy getting to the end of round 1. He's really good. Just wish I had some All-22 access.

2019 vs Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTCLuzfBAU

2018 vs LSU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPp362eztg

2017 vs Florida St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZGe7Ty0ug

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This other safety is from a small school and probably has a better chance of getting to us. How does he match up against some of these DL types? Honestly, pretty damn well, and where CGJ looks like he could probably play corner in the NFL, this guy's a bit more of a conventional safety with extensive zone coverage experience and very much could be an impact type addition for the right defense:

Nasir Adderly, S, Delaware

Strengths: excellent range, instincts, outstanding in zone breaking on passes or runners, and outstanding consistency tackling.

Weaknesses: I'd like to say his man coverage but I seem to recall they tried him a bit in coverage and corner in Mobile and the Raiders' DB coach wouldn't shut up about him.

2018 vs Elon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zY_527xei4

2018 vs North Dakota St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvNtixjUKeA

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You dudes are gonna roast me for this one, but here's a guy that's been listed here in some mocks in the round 3 range, and who really sets himself apart from the rest of the "high motor" type edge rushers with an ability to simply never take a play off. This dude is balls out every single play.

And yeah, he looks to me on film like a mid 2nd round guy, given a very impressive workout that belied what many thought he'd do on top of that good film. But since he's obviously a nice fit for us (I think he could drop about 5-10 pounds in fact and not lose strength judging from his punch/shed) and he may very well end up being the guy we get after a drop down from our first round pick, I figured it's worthwhile to put him up. And I know, I'm breaking my own rules here in this thread but what the hell gotta have fun with it right? :p

Chase Winovich, Edge, Michigan

Strengths: motor is what most talk about with him. But he is extremely strong, sets a good edge, and has excellent instincts on the rush. He gets results ugly sometimes and you'll think "he got lucky" but then he keeps doing it. And while he's pretty good with his hands I think he's got some room to improve on his technique, i.e. I don't see him as some polished rusher that he's often sold in the draft summaries I've seen on him.

Weaknesses: I think his primary weakness is his directional change ability when he's on the move, i.e. he's not a guy who's light on his feet (again I think he's a little too heavy) and it affects his contain. He also doesn't have that crazy edge burst/twitch that the elite types have. And he also can be a bit slow on the snap anticipation.

2018 vs Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTuLRPefnc

2017 vs Ohio St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdRYOOfO-lA

Funny interview with Rich Eisen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY22OWGLOkY

Winovich reminds me of Ryan Kerrigan, mostly in the way that Notre Dame couldn’t stop him

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not at 31 with Winovitch but in a trade down into the 2nd absolutely.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6. Peters - I still have faith in Peters, but with a CB1 I'd be comfortable with Troy Hill at CB2 - he played VERY well in that role two years ago. He struggled this year, but the whole secondary was a mess without Talib.

Oh god no, Frantik. Troy Hill has never been good. He had a nice game against Atlanta in the playoffs in 2017. That gave me hope, but then he came back in 2018 and was the same Troy Hill. He's a #4 CB. No way I could ever trust him in the #2 role.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh god no, Frantik. Troy Hill has never been good. He had a nice game against Atlanta in the playoffs in 2017. That gave me hope, but then he came back in 2018 and was the same Troy Hill. He's a #4 CB. No way I could ever trust him in the #2 role.

He actually played pretty well that whole year. The only bad season he had was last year really, and the whole secondary was a disaster without Talib.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get this statement..... if Reynolds doesn't get better. He did an outstanding job IMO filling in. He has good separation skills. He was open more in the Superbowl than people want to acknowledge.
Now, on the other hand, I'm surprised that people don't want to question the contract of Brandin Cooks. He is due 15-mil this season. Can you say overpaid? Cooks had 2 opportunities to catch TD's in the Superbowl and came away empty.

Here's my logic:

Kupp gets injured, Goff suddenly looks pedestrian over the course of several games. Our offense as a whole has been impacted.

I like Reynolds - but if we're going to play Kupp (and Woods and Cooks) on 95% of the snaps, odds are one of them will get hurt. I'd say the odds of that are very high.

So IMO McVay has two options going forward:

One, play Reynolds more during the season so spell guys and/or employ for 2 TE sets - make sure that Cooks/Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/Higbee/Everett get equal playing time.

OR draft and groom a WR so that this offense doesn't fall off a cliff if/when one of them gets hurt and has to miss time.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Also, one of those opportunities wasn't really an opportunity - it was a late throw by Goff that gave him almost no chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He actually played pretty well that whole year. The only bad season he had was last year really, and the whole secondary was a disaster without Talib.

Yeah, we don't agree on that. I remember him being a sizable downgrade from Kayvon Webster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel like CB is a huge need for us. I like, Byron Murphy, if he is available. I thought Murphy was the most fluid DB at the combine. Later rounds, I like Iman Marshall. BTW, Greedy Williams, made me cringe, watching him move around at the combine. Derick Baity, and Isaiah Johnson, are a couple of, I think, the deep middle round talent at the position.

The rankings are all over the place considering the OL prospects. I think this became a huge need for us, post free agency. If there is value there, in the draft, I'd have to consider it.

I'm a big Bush fan. Who isn't? If you like him, and he's there, Polite, would be hard to pass up, but it's not an immediate need now. There are a few pretty talented Safeties to consider, again, not an immediate need, but it is a need in the future. Hard to draft in the first round for a future need though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a big Bush fan. Who isn't? If you like him, and he's there, Polite, would be hard to pass up, but it's not an immediate need now. There are a few pretty talented Safeties to consider, again, not an immediate need, but it is a need in the future. Hard to draft in the first round for a future need though.

I do think Bush has a chance to get to us. But yeah unlikely. And Polite to me comes with too much risk, I'd rather drop and get Winovich than add a guy who doesn't think he needs to study film and who has a thin skin.

Polite will drop into round 2 IMO. For those reasons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going off the above conversation it's probably time to put up a guy who has a very good chance to be there when we're on the clock. Hopefully some team will take him before 31 but if it's us who knows we might end up with a steal. If we do get him hopefully we'll see a drop down to add a pick and absorb some of that risk then take him in round 2 and cross our fingers. Talent and on field production certainly aren't the concerns with him:

Jachai Polite, Edge, Florida

Strengths: plus athlete with all the speed rush type gifts to be a blindside edge rush. Flexible too, and can change direction well. High ceiling.

Weaknesses: soft at the point, not a strong guy gets pushed around more than I like and sets a crappy edge vs the run more than I would like. I don't like his character/give-a-F indicators personally.

2018 vs Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w20LmBU5Z48

2018 vs Mississippi St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzIMD5XYIcE