Draft Possibilities First round (@ Pick 31)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Trade Value Chart has us at even points if Cleveland were to trade picks #49 (2'nd.rd.) & #80 (3'rd.rd.) for the Rams #31. Most other teams are likely to involve some additional compensation, whether up or down.

Yeah, I just doubt they'll want to trade down 18 picks - that would mean that likely all of they guys they were targeting would be gone. 6 or so picks down, they could get a fairly high 4th, and still probably get a guy they felt was fair for 31st.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guys who seem like options to me are Jachai Polite, Jerry Tillery, Jeff Simmons (unlikely), Devin Bush (unlikely), Nasir Adderley, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and Taylor Rapp.

All those guys are on the list. I basically drew the line after about 10 that we have little chance of getting. Gonna try to get it to 15 but since the idea here is peeps seeing some cutups and having some film knowledge of potential picks maybe there is no need to get too limiting.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The guys who seem like options to me are Jachai Polite, Jerry Tillery, Jeff Simmons (unlikely), Devin Bush (unlikely), Nasir Adderley, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and Taylor Rapp.

@jrry32, I am high on Polite with the Rams first pick with or without a trade down. I can blow off a lot of the negatively perceived behavior from the Combine. However, I am most concerned with how he prepared every week during the season and how he was as a teamamate in locket room. BeIng a Gator fan, do you have any insight into this matter?
Thanks in advance....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, I just doubt they'll want to trade down 18 picks - that would mean that likely all of they guys they were targeting would be gone. 6 or so picks down, they could get a fairly high 4th, and still probably get aguy they felt was fair for 31st.

Obviously we would need to find teams desiring these trades, but with our #99 third round pick added to Clevelands #49 pick, we could trade right into that area of the draft you are speaking towards, and still have 2 third round picks left, one being much higher now at #80 rather than #99. Les Snead is a guy who likes to wheel & deal, the trade scenarios are wide open for him ...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another DT who will be in consideration for us at 31 is this player, who is a fascinating example of upside but who also has red flags that will concern some teams, so I do not doubt that he'll be available to us when we're on the clock:

Jerry Tillery, DL, Notre Dame

Strengths: natural pass rush ability first off, as a big guy on the interior, and I see him as a natural 3T due to that, though I don't doubt he could excel at 5T from day one as well. He can anchor in very well vs the run when he wants to as well, so maybe Wade will have him in that consideration as a possible nose option. Very high ceiling with this guy.

Weaknesses: his ability to anchor isn't consistent. But he's also got concerns off the field that could be attributed to being stupid or just questionable character. And he's known to be lazy and take plays off prior to this past season so some of his inconsistency undoubtedly has to do with effort. Has he matured or does he want that paycheck? We'll see.

2017 vs Boston College

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7Oodefs-Q

2018 vs Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3_VjRLGiY

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another DT here who has the sort of quickness, anticipation, and rush that will have teams looking hard at him for 3T. I don't see him as a nose type at this level so he's not a fit for filling our top need defensively but he does have some rare penetration ability that I am sure the Rams will love.

Jeffrey Simmons, DL, Mississippi St

Strengths: super quick off the count, so his anticipation is excellent. He also got a lot of pressures that don't show in the box score, and his consistent pass rush and hand usage is impressive. One of those players that seems to always be in the backfield. High motor type dude you can see his competitiveness on tape particularly for a lineman in how he chases backside of plays.

Weaknesses: medical flag with that torn ACL for starters. Had an off field incident back in 2016 too not sure how much trouble that gives him we'll see.

2018 vs Kentucky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjKCfPSi2g

2018 vs Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXXvLSz9FTs

2018 vs Kansas St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-EthFOu6xs

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I like Simmons if the team can wait. ACLs are 9 months to properly heal.

To me the most logical is BPA within the guidelines of DT, TE, ILB, OLB, CB, C, G. At #31 I believe the 2 TEs will be gone but maybe one isn't. The 2 ILBs will be gone. There may 1 or 2 DTs Simmons or Lawrence & OLBs Burns/Polite who make it to #31. Maybe 1 of the 3 CBs will be there. Maybe Bradbury is there at C and maybe Ford at G is there. All interesting options. If we drop down 6-7 spots most if not all of the list will be gone. Maybe that is worth it to take the risk because if we don't care between any of those positions we could roll the dice. I am hardly ever in favor of moving back but this year it really does make sense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson seems like a very real possibility.

I think Simmons will be too good to pass up for a team ahead of the Rams, despite the injury. Ditto for some of these others, even a guy like Adderley (Seattle needs a rangy safety).

I’d be happy with any of the guys listed but just think they are too good to still be available.

I hope they don’t waste a pick on a TE in round 1. Good TEs can be found in later rounds usually.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So before I throw more up here, wanted to put up what I see as the rough top group that we can pretty much assume will be off the board well before we get to the podium. These are the guys I'm pretty much scratching off the list for the 31st pick:

Nick Bosa, Edge, Ohio St
Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
Quinnen Williams, DT, Bama
Clellen Ferrell, DE, Clemson
Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
Jonah Williams, OT, Bama
Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
Montez Sweat, Edge, Mississippi St
Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Devon White, ILB, LSU (probably my pick for most surefire stud at the NFL level)
Deionte Thompson, S, Bama
Josh Allen, Edge, Kentucky

Let me know what you guys think there, whether I'm overvaluing some of these guys and/or whether I'm missing some. I have avoided putting up some that I am pretty sure will be gone, like Metcalf for example, due to his neck question that might spook teams.

What is interesting about this draft is once you get past this rough point, it's really hard to get a good handle on that next group. But really any of those might make it to us I think.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Disagree with Sweat being off the board. His heart condition could cause him to fall in the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree with Sweat being off the board. His heart condition could cause him to fall in the draft.

Yeah it's hard to say what with us not knowing what his medical diagnosis really is, what the docs are telling teams too. But good point and I'll add him to the mix, even though I think he's more like to be taken by the 4-3 teams that slot in there after mid-first round. That said, a player like him could probably do quite well with any defense.

Montez Sweat, Edge, Mississippi St

Strengths: physical, tough edge setter who can get off blocks and make plays in the run or pressure the QB. Very strong and wins a lot without advanced hand technique, so I think he will be a great pro who improves year to year. Also love the fact he's got an extremely high motor.

Weaknesses: lacks that freak agility that a lot of high pick ends have. Has a long-legged look to him that makes me wonder if he'll ever be a plus change of direction type.

2018 vs Kansas St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2CZ8WzDqts

2019 vs Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqjvyyE2f1c

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna put up a CB here that I love, a guy I think fits right away in our scheme and who might be there come 31. IMO some other CBs will likely go before him but this dude is one of those guys who is going to have a fine career in the NFL and who would help us immediately.

Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

Strengths: feisty press corner who gets on receivers right at the snap and sticks on them. Also doesn't struggle in zone.

Weaknesses: long speed. He's not a CB who can recover well when beaten, or stick with the elite speed burners without some safety help. Tackling is hit/miss, some games where he looks good then others where he's channeling Deion.

2017 vs Mississippi St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcsSt-JoE4

2018 vs Oklahoma

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajSaaXY4WI

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don't understand the fascination with Ferguson. Will need to look harder at him apparently.

Honestly, I think Ferguson doesn't fit a 3-4. Too slow to be an outside linebacker, too small to be a defensive end.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson seems like a very real possibility.

Safeties are always kind of crazy. Teams are looking for different things so it's tough to go with projections unless the guy is a freakish talent on top of the great film in which case he goes early. Have to think both CGJ and Adderly are possibles to be at 31 though so gonna put them up.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Safeties are always kind of crazy. Teams are looking for different things so it's tough to go with projections unless the guy is a freakish talent on top of the great film in which case he goes early. Have to think both CGJ and Adderly are possibles to be at 31 though so gonna put them up.

Don't forget about Taylor Rapp. He's definitely a possibility at #31.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do people think we would draft a safety in the first round? Doesn't Wade usually get relatively unknown safeties and make them better? Considering we have an emerging star at safety already, I think it's far more likely that we groom Countess to start after Weddle than draft one.

Unless he can also play CB.