Draft Possibilities First round (@ Pick 31)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ref Rams DL= Way too light & too small as a unit. If Wade continues to go small & light then he better draft a tough active run stuffing tackling machine to play the MLB'er post.

Yeah definitely too small and Les knows he has to finish up that 3-4 transition this year. Lawrence seems like a guy who could slide right in there and completely change the look of our front. But if he's gone then it's wait for round 3 and hope Wren or Saunders is there, and move up if they feel the need. And with upgraded edge play I have to think we'll have a really nice front next season.

One thing we haven't talked about much here is the change at DL coach. The fact that our previous DL coach had been with Wade before in a similarly brief stop, and that he had felt more size was needed in a 3 man front, is interesting to me. Wonder what the new guy thinks, sure would be nice to have someone in the media ask him that question lol. But I still think more size/strength is a desired deal especially since Donald creates movement with his play style; most of the time it's positive of course but not always, so a power NT just seems like it would not only free him up but stabilize things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To kick things off with the receivers, obviously Metcalf and Butler have zero point zero percent chance of falling to us. Not going to waste my time getting all excited imagining it, as their tape is insanely good and they're both going to be highly coveted.

So going to start with a guy that I think has a chance to make it to 31. This is a dude who looks the part of an X receiver, who has the entire tool set you want physically for a wideout who can play outside the hashes.

N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona St

Strengths: plus hands and ability to track the ball and come down with it, good size and strength in handling corners. Comfortable with a DB on him just does his thing coming down with the ball just about every time. The kind of wideout a lot of teams are looking for.

Weaknesses: well he's always got a DB on him, his routes need work, and he's not a guy who can blow by DBs so not a separation type in either speed or route running. Oh and he's capable of dominating DBs in blocking but he rarely does that, really hit/miss there.

2017 vs Oregon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4mK5aM_dA

2018 vs Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2F490cBgo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another good sized WR (6'3") in this draft class who has a good chance to be on the board when we're up. He has some similarities with Harry above, in size and hands and projected ability to be a contested catch threat on any down at the NFL level and do it outside as an X.

Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St

Strengths: extremely productive and consistent. Makes the tough/contested catches, excellent physicality vs DBs off the line and in his routes. Just a big, power wideout who tracks the ball very well and goes and gets it. Oh and demonstrates good give-a-F in blocking.

Weaknesses: route running needs work, not a guy who can quickly create his own separation or routinely take the top off a defense.

2018 vs Syracuse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWWQQrsbxa4

2018 vs Virginia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqT-xKTPmrE

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Quick note... The more I look at film of these 15-40ish types, the more certain I am becoming that OL will have strong value when we're on the clock. NFL teams that run a bit more power will be all over guys like Ford (who is a damn freak and very, very close to a sure thing NOT to be on the board at 31 IMO) and they also have a good all around plug-in starter in Lindstrom (who is far more likely to be at 31 but who doesn't look like a good fit for our zone).

A bit of a wildcard is a guy like Williams, who is probably going to end up inside but has done a good job vs the best in the SEC at tackle. He's almost surely gone before 31 because he brings some flexibility and is a day one starter probably anywhere from RT to the interior.

With the OL at least I see a secondary group of Ford / Williams who are too damn good to get to us. That is very likely to push the two zone fits down to our range IMO. Question is whether to put up Ford & Williams, think I will just throwing this out for some conversation and see what you guys think.

Bradberry or McCoy top my list. We just saw what Goff did with no time to throw. I’d be willing to bet that most of the Rams opponents will try to replicate what the Bears, Eagles, Patriots and some others did to theRams late last year.

Losing a stud in Saffold and a former football stud and brain in Sullivan will require replacing that much lost talent with another stud. I’d prefer Bradberry, but it’s sounding like he won’t reach the Rams pick. If they go into the season with what they have, I think the Oline takes a step back. Noteboom looks like a reasonable fill in but after that Allen is a downgrade imo, and Blythe was exposed.

I hope they don’t get all excited thinking that they found a diamond in the rough like Eldrenkamp at feel comfortable with a UDFA as a future starter.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bradberry or McCoy top my list. We just saw what Goff did with no time to throw. I’d be willing to bet that most of the Rams opponents will try to replicate what the Bears, Eagles, Patriots and some others did to theRams late last year.

Losing a stud in Saffold and a former football stud and brain in Sullivan will require replacing that much lost talent with another stud. I’d prefer Bradberry, but it’s sounding like he won’t reach the Rams pick. If they go into the season with what they have, I think the Oline takes a step back. Noteboom looks like a reasonable fill in but after that Allen is a downgrade imo, and Blythe was exposed.

I hope they don’t get all excited thinking that they found a diamond in the rough like Eldrenkamp at feel comfortable with a UDFA as a future starter.
You & I are singing the same song @ the same time on the same high pitched note for the right reason!

I believe fully that those teams you mentioned opened up the weak underbelly of Goff & McVay. What these 3 teams did give every team in the NFL the game plan how to shut down this McVay offense completely. The current OL reserves cadre is made up of two 6th rd draft picks who have been waived several times & two UDFA's who also have been members of the WWC.

LT/LG Noteboom might very well end up spending most of his starting time helping ancient graybeard Whitworth getting dressed & finding his rocker recliner @ LT post. Then who's going to start @ LG... Neary or Demby?

I see a shallow OL draft prospect pool that:( will be drained dry early due to the NFL's very hot demand for healthy smart OL'ers.:eek::notsure::sadwalk:........Defensive prospects with excellent talent & skills are this 2019 NFL Drafts storyline where numerous bargains & deals will be there to harvested by good GM's who do not reach to fill needs.

Conclusion .....Kromer :coach:is going to earn his paycheck this season & it's going to get rough if the Rams experience just a small amount worth of OL injuries that could produce open season :wabbit::shooting:for Goff

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You & I are singing the same song @ the same time on the same high pitched note for the right reason!

I believe fully that those teams you mentioned opened up the weak underbelly of Goff & McVay. What these 3 teams did give every team in the NFL the game plan how to shut down this McVay offense completely. The current OL reserves cadre is made up of two 6th rd draft picks who have been waived several times & two UDFA's who also have been members of the WWC.

LT/LG Noteboom might very well end up spending most of his starting time helping ancient graybeard Whitworth getting dressed & finding his rocker recliner @ LT post. Then who's going to start @ LG... Neary or Demby?

I see a shallow OL draft prospect pool that:( will be drained dry early due to the NFL's very hot demand for healthy smart OL'ers.:eek::notsure::sadwalk:........Defensive prospects with excellent talent & skills are this 2019 NFL Drafts storyline where numerous bargains & deals will be there to harvested by good GM's who do not reach to fill needs.

Conclusion .....Kromer :coach:is going to earn his paycheck this season & it's going to get rough if the Rams experience just a small amount worth of OL injuries that could produce open season :wabbit::shooting:for Goff

Two guys that I wished the Rams were able to get but couldn't would have set this team up nicely. James Daniels on the Bears was a second round pick. He played very well last year and handled Donald great for a rookie. Frank Ragnow is another. I guess I lean for the trenches when drafting.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing we haven't talked about much here is the change at DL coach. The fact that our previous DL coach had been with Wade before in a similarly brief stop, and that he had felt more size was needed in a 3 man front, is interesting to me. Wonder what the new guy thinks, sure would be nice to have someone in the media ask him that question lol. But I still think more size/strength is a desired deal especially since Donald creates movement with his play style; most of the time it's positive of course but not always, so a power NT just seems like it would not only free him up but stabilize things.
I have mentioned Eric Henderson several times since he was signed. I consider this a big upgrade over Johnson myself but time could prove me wrong. EH had his hands full last season dealing with a ton of injuries in his DL & he worked miracles to keep the DL together under some serious situations with 3 of his 4 starting DL'ers.

The biggest element was the ongoing issue with his veteran defensive leader Brandon Mebane due to a horrific ordeal with the long illness & death of his newborn baby girl last season. Then the midseason loss of NT Corey Liuget again. The early season loss due to injuries of Joey Bosa who did not play until wk #11. It was a big mess.

UFA's NT Liuget & Square are still unsigned we may see them come in for a work out yet. Square is nothing more than back up. Liuget was starting material @ NT before all his injuries.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Two guys that I wished the Rams were able to get but couldn't would have set this team up nicely. James Daniels on the Bears was a second round pick. He played very well last year and handled Donald great for a rookie. Frank Ragnow is another. I guess I lean for the trenches when drafting.

There are some still remaining back up type OL'ers unsigned that might fit well here for Kromer.....Ryan Groy is the OL'er mentioned most here as a possible Ram OL prospect. Some members have already listed him in the lineup for 2019 he been mentioned so much Fact was Groy officially signed a 2 yr $5 mil offer sheet with the Rams early in 2018. The Bills matched it. Kromer likes the skill set of Groy ....it fits his classic outside running zone scheme very well.

Groy is considered a center. He has been in the NFL for 5 seasons on four different teams. Groy has played all five positions on the offensive line since entering the pros. He has never won a starting position in Training Camp yet. PFF graded Groy as a below average in the 6 gms he started in 2018 after he became a starter due to injuries to the Bills starting center. The only solid season Groy had, was in 2016, with 7 starts when his OL coach in Buffalo was Aaron Kromer. I would go after Groy again so he might join in the battle to see who will start @ LG in 2019. Groy could also give Austin Blythe some heat @ starting RG, but NOT @ center. Big problem is the Rams do not have any Cap Funds available to do that @ this time:headexplosion:. The Bills have over 35 million still....:sadwalk:

Another UFA Ram OLG prospect that would fit in here with Kromer is 30 yr old Benjamin Ljalana who spent the 2018 season on the injured reserve. He has played mostly RT & some LT since being drafted in 2011, but I believe he would be a good fit here @ LG for Kromer.

Since there is a lack of cap funds the Rams will be forced to make do with what they have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are some still remaining back up type OL'ers unsigned that might fit well here for Kromer.....Ryan Groy is the OL'er mentioned most here as a possible Ram OL prospect. Some members have already listed him in the lineup for 2019 he been mentioned so much Fact was Groy officially signed a 2 yr $5 mil offer sheet with the Rams early in 2018. The Bills matched it. Kromer likes the skill set of Groy ....it fits his classic outside running zone scheme very well.

Groy is considered a center. He has been in the NFL for 5 seasons on four different teams. Groy has played all five positions on the offensive line since entering the pros. He has never won a starting position in Training Camp yet. PFF graded Groy as a below average in the 6 gms he started in 2018 after he became a starter due to injuries to the Bills starting center. The only solid season Groy had, was in 2016, with 7 starts when his OL coach in Buffalo was Aaron Kromer. I would go after Groy again so he might join in the battle to see who will start @ LG in 2019. Groy could also give Austin Blythe some heat @ starting RG, but NOT @ center. Big problem is the Rams do not have any Cap Funds available to do that @ this time:headexplosion:. The Bills have over 35 million still....:sadwalk:

Another UFA Ram OLG prospect that would fit in here with Kromer is 30 yr old Benjamin Ljalana who spent the 2018 season on the injured reserve. He has played mostly RT & some LT since being drafted in 2011, but I believe he would be a good fit here @ LG for Kromer.

Since there is a lack of cap funds the Rams will be forced to make do with what they have.

It’s seems to me that many here have Groy a bit overrated.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s seems to me that many here have Groy a bit overrated.

Agreed. It actually worked out better for us that Buffalo kept him around.

@BonifayRam I think this OL class is rather good. Still working through them but it looks like there are a lot of options deep into it. Rams will have no probs stacking their depth plus getting good competition even if they don't use their round one pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So with the draft just around the corner here's where I'm suspecting the Rams are leaning in terms of the guys they covet, i.e. the big fits with enormous value to them who "might" get to them:

1. NT Lawrence. Not a surprise really, just an insanely good fit.

2. OT/OG Risner. This guy has Kromer written all over him. He is the OL the Rams covet IMO, brings versatility, strength, and he's reportedly sharp too.

3. S Adderly. I think CGJ is gone by pick 20 for sure, just going off what my eyes see on film. Adderly probably goes to the Raiders in the 20s but never know.

4. CB Williams. I don't like putting him here because I think he'll be gone, but there's a lot of noise with him in the 20s so he's got to be on the Rams' radar.

If those guys are off the board then these are the "fallback" types who represent good value for our pick range:

1. CB Baker. Imagine our defense on the field in the final 2 minutes in the playoffs needing a stop. With the new PI review rules. Can you say you'd better pray your guys can stick on receivers without holding? He can.

2. C McCoy / Bradbury. I'm probably alone on Bradbury being a late first round pick value, but whatever. He and McCoy are good solid pick possibilities for us. Both have a lot of film moving and making blocks in a similar scheme. As opposed to some others like Lindstrom (weird scheme with lots of running) or Ford (who also is going to need some seasoning not to mention has physical upside that makes me think a power scheme team will snap him up).

3. WR Samuel. I didn't highlight Deebo in this thread but he's going to play quickly in the slot for some team. Nobody expects the Rams to look wideout, however the performance of our offense when Kupp went down was a problem. We don't have anyone who can provide our young QB the quick option when he needs it with Kupp out. I think he is in play for us there with good routes and body control as a fit and if they can't get a trade down done.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if they trade down I'm thinking the guys on their hotlist:

1. TE Sternberger. He isn't Fant, but he's super smooth in the passing game, type of guy McVay would want.

2. OLB Winovich. I'm actually thinking some team late 20s might take him. But with a trade down he is certainly in play for us and I am certain the Rams like him.

3. OT Dieter. Another big and steady OT who will need to move inside at the NFL level. Would be a nice get after a move down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So with the draft just around the corner here's where I'm suspecting the Rams are leaning in terms of the guys they covet, i.e. the big fits with enormous value to them who "might" get to them:

1. NT Lawrence. Not a surprise really, just an insanely good fit.

2. OT/OG Risner. This guy has Kromer written all over him. He is the OL the Rams covet IMO, brings versatility, strength, and he's reportedly sharp too.

3. S Adderly. I think CGJ is gone by pick 20 for sure, just going off what my eyes see on film. Adderly probably goes to the Raiders in the 20s but never know.

4. CB Williams. I don't like putting him here because I think he'll be gone, but there's a lot of noise with him in the 20s so he's got to be on the Rams' radar.

If those guys are off the board then these are the "fallback" types who represent good value for our pick range:

1. CB Baker. Imagine our defense on the field in the final 2 minutes in the playoffs needing a stop. With the new PI review rules. Can you say you'd better pray your guys can stick on receivers without holding? He can.

2. C McCoy / Bradbury. I'm probably alone on Bradbury being a late first round pick value, but whatever. He and McCoy are good solid pick possibilities for us. Both have a lot of film moving and making blocks in a similar scheme. As opposed to some others like Lindstrom (weird scheme with lots of running) or Ford (who also is going to need some seasoning not to mention has physical upside that makes me think a power scheme team will snap him up).

3. WR Samuel. I didn't highlight Deebo in this thread but he's going to play quickly in the slot for some team. Nobody expects the Rams to look wideout, however the performance of our offense when Kupp went down was a problem. We don't have anyone who can provide our young QB the quick option when he needs it with Kupp out. I think he is in play for us there with good routes and body control as a fit and if they can't get a trade down done.

Ford is a monster. I think Risner is the only OL I could pick over him if he last until the end of the first (which seems unlikely). He's insanely fleet-flooted and smooth for a man as big and naturally strong as he is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ford is a monster. I think Risner is the only OL I could pick over him if he last until the end of the first (which seems unlikely). He's insanely fleet-flooted and smooth for a man as big and naturally strong as he is.

Agreed. Which is why I think Ford's off the board before 31. Power teams gonna want him bad.

But if you look at their scheme, I have a hard time thinking he'd be ready to help us if we need him right away. Pass pro isn't his forte and that might not be a prob for them but just the fit side.

OL in particular has a lot of guys who could slide, basically. It's gonna be interesting and if we get into mid 20s and Risner is there I might have to take a looong break until we're up lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Which is why I think Ford's off the board before 31. Power teams gonna want him bad.

But if you look at their scheme, I have a hard time thinking he'd be ready to help us if we need him right away. Pass pro isn't his forte and that might not be a prob for them but just the fit side.

OL in particular has a lot of guys who could slide, basically. It's gonna be interesting and if we get into mid 20s and Risner is there I might have to take a looong break until we're up lol.

I don't see pass pro being an issue for Ford at OG. We're set at OT for the coming year, so the kinks there could be worked out if we wanted that. And while Ford has some kinks to work out, he was quite good in pass pro this year.