Draft Possibilities First round (@ Pick 31)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I do think Bush has a chance to get to us. But yeah unlikely. And Polite to me comes with too much risk, I'd rather drop and get Winovich than add a guy who doesn't think he needs to study film and who has a thin skin.

Polite will drop into round 2 IMO. For those reasons.
Polite said he hasn't studied his own film, not that he doesn't study film at all. I'm not exactly advocating for him, but let's at least have our facts right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Polite said he hasn't studied his own film, not that he doesn't study film at all. I'm not exactly advocating for him, but let's at least have our facts right.

Point here is for people to make their own decisions on these guys by watching some cutups, so I didn't feel it was necessary to caveat it in detail; he admitted he didn't watch film of himself, and to me that's a pretty big concern. But fortunately you're here to keep things honest so good job. (y)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Point here is for people to make their own decisions on these guys by watching some cutups, so I didn't feel it was necessary to caveat it in detail; he admitted he didn't watch film of himself, and to me that's a pretty big concern. But fortunately you're here to keep things honest so good job. (y)
On the thread about Polite I was also very concerned by his not watching film of himself. How can someone say they want to get better if they aren't looking for ways to improve their game? It's a big flag I think.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
On the thread about Polite I was also very concerned by his not watching film of himself. How can someone say they want to get better if they aren't looking for ways to improve their game? It's a big flag I think.
I think it's extremely odd, if not anything else. I mean, even in Pop Warner, they watched game film, which, if a player had any downs, he was in the film.... Odd to unbelievable that the coaching staff didn't review film of prior games, with the players. That is part of that coaching thing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think it's extremely odd, if not anything else. I mean, even in Pop Warner, they watched game film, which, if a player had any downs, he was in the film.... Odd to unbelievable that the coaching staff didn't review film of prior games, with the players. That is part of that coaching thing.
Every film of himself also had the other team in it, so maybe he only focused on the other team? I don't know, but it's weird and, to me, raises a red flag.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick note... The more I look at film of these 15-40ish types, the more certain I am becoming that OL will have strong value when we're on the clock. NFL teams that run a bit more power will be all over guys like Ford (who is a damn freak and very, very close to a sure thing NOT to be on the board at 31 IMO) and they also have a good all around plug-in starter in Lindstrom (who is far more likely to be at 31 but who doesn't look like a good fit for our zone).

A bit of a wildcard is a guy like Williams, who is probably going to end up inside but has done a good job vs the best in the SEC at tackle. He's almost surely gone before 31 because he brings some flexibility and is a day one starter probably anywhere from RT to the interior.

With the OL at least I see a secondary group of Ford / Williams who are too damn good to get to us. That is very likely to push the two zone fits down to our range IMO. Question is whether to put up Ford & Williams, think I will just throwing this out for some conversation and see what you guys think.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What the hell, gonna throw up a guy here that is another unlikely to get to 31 type, he's probably going to be snapped up in the 20s. Thing is, there are a LOT of guys like that in this draft, that once you watch their film you start thinking they'll get taken by the playoff contenders in that well drafting lineup in the 20s. But that just means one of these guys is gonna slide through. And who knows, maybe I'm overestimating this guy, but I think his flexibility and technique are going to make him coveted by teams post-15ish who need a strong OG or a versatile lineman who can probably play on the right edge.

Jonah Williams, OG/RT, Bama

Strengths: powerful blocker, first off, he is usually moving the other guy in the run and he's very good in pass sets. He's also had quite a trial by fire on that squad, facing elite competition. As you would expect from a Bama starter he's got strong technique too, looks like a lunchpail type you can plug in all over your line. Instant starter, and he moves very well, to the point where he's a scheme fit for any team.

Weaknesses: lacks the feet for the blindside edge. He's a big dude, but doesn't have a lengthy type frame either, looks like a huge interior OL to my eye.

2017 vs Clemson

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcpJQ_6XHg

2018 vs Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fj1tjjobCI

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And as alluded to above this guy is a big, powerful dude who IMO was a bit miscast out on the edge but who did the job. Also I don't think that pass-happy scheme at Oklahoma truly used what his strengths are either. My own opinion of the guy is that teams are really going to like a big OT conversion who goes for 330lbs and can move and play with power. Guys like that tend to rise on the boards because teams will project him inside where his strengths will play.

Cody Ford, OG, Oklahoma

Strengths: run blocking, and powering the guy across from him, which he didn't get to do all that much when you watch his film. High end ceiling as an interior OL.

Weaknesses: can be had in pass pro and required help on a lot of snaps on the edge. Needs technique work.

2018 vs Bama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCUbXTVSB2A

2018 vs UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5at51XJ9k

Amateur film session on him

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk-gaDIfNJY

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So going to put up a guy I've been looking forward to doing. This is an ILB we probably won't have a shot at, drafting as deep as we are. But he is an extremely good fit for us so I think it's possible if he gets close that the Rams move up and get him (he is one of several options there IMO). I think White goes before him, and is better, but Bush is one of those guys who, if he ends up in a defense that really fits him (one gap attacking schemes like ours) will be lights out as a pro. Also not going to call him ILB because he could end up playing something else depending on who drafts him.

Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

Strengths: excellent range, crazy good closing speed on the blitz, and you can see he is a smart player. Good in zone in the passing game with quick drops and instinctive closing, and boy he lays the wood when he hits. Doesn't have big physicality but he's still capable of blowing up blockers when he's moving.

Weaknesses: had trouble with pass receiving types when Michigan asked him to turn and run with them. Also can get smothered by blockers so he's not a guy who is best used as a constant stack/shed type interior LB at this level.

2018 vs Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTJAmXM8q9s

2018 vs Penn St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAa3Gk44WIA

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So here's a guy that I've seen in a lot of mocks upwards of mid-first round, and just saw his name on a mock linked to us on therams.com site. He's got a great motor snap to snap and plays different spots for Clemson but when I watch his film he doesn't really stand out to me, looks in this particular draft like a guy who should go round 2, just in comparison to the others. Curious what you guys think there.

Also, like some of the other top end DL in this draft he is probably best suited to 3T, so would the Rams project him as a NT? I don't see it man. I see a guy who would back up Donald at 3T and would back up Brockers at 5T; hopefully he's not our choice at 31.

Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

Strengths: relentless player who gets sacks from effort over time, capitalizes on mistakes well. Good awareness getting his hands up. Flexible and played different spots for Clemson. Reportedly a great leader and locker room type.

Weaknesses: not a first step threat like the best 3T. Not a technician in hand use. Not particularly athletic and doesn't have closing quickness like the best interior DL do. Stubbiest lookin 6'4" dude I've ever seen. When he was at DE just out of place.

2017 vs Bama (mostly DE)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNulHlPCp9Q

2018 vs Bama (mostly 3T)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7BmqQIBhs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL... I watched an NFL Mock Draft for the first round... They picked Bush for us, I like him... but I didn't realize the video was a month old.

He moved that far up?!?!?!

Running a 4.43 40 can do that for you. ;)
(The 40+ inch vertical and great agility times also didn't hurt.)

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I like Devin too just Devin White watching his cut ups on PTTD Friday he is scary good unfortunately he will not get near us.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Lead the country in Sacks from the Edge ...... production trumps speed in my book

Where do you get these stats? Do you even look before posting - you know you look stupid unfortunately. You need to look at Ferguson he is 6'5" and 271 I think that easily qualifies to play the position. BTW no De/OLB needs a fast 40. But he did have 17.5 sacks leading the NCAA and oh BTW he lead the NCAA as the all time sack leader over a career.

There are posters who come prepared and others who wing it. How about stop winging it and do your homework.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Unpopular opinion but I would love Aj brown if he falls. I would trade up for him if he falls past 25.
The guy would be unstoppable in mcvays offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you get these stats? Do you even look before posting - you know you look stupid unfortunately. You need to look at Ferguson he is 6'5" and 271 I think that easily qualifies to play the position. BTW no De/OLB needs a fast 40. But he did have 17.5 sacks leading the NCAA and oh BTW he lead the NCAA as the all time sack leader over a career.

There are posters who come prepared and others who wing it. How about stop winging it and do your homework.

What? Did you even read the post you responded to here? Chill with calling people stupid, especially when you seem to be agreeing with him. And Memento certainly isn't stupid for what he said.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I'm assuming you were speaking to me. I don't wing things; I've researched the hell out of these prospects. I had Ferguson down as a sleeper prospect for some time (likely before most here knew who he was, which isn't bragging; I simply have a prospect binge even after the draft), but as I looked more into him, I saw warts. He's not a bad prospect; just not one who fits the system that Wade has. He's simply not fit to be a 3-4 end or linebacker; he's strictly a 4-3 defensive end.

He'll be a good player for someone else, but he doesn't fit the system.

I apologize if it seemed I was winging things.