Do the Rams stick with Ficken

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
I hadn't seen all his kicks so I watched his kicks in the condensed version.

I think the first X Point he just missed it and I will call it nerves. Left hash mark.

The missed FG he moved to the right hash mark. All the others were left hash mark. He hit it solid right at the post. Could have been trying to figure out the wind.

The rest of the kicks he went left hash mark with a right fade ball flight. He seemed to hit them solid. He made the adjustment to his ball flight on the last two X Points kicking more right at the start.

The kickoffs weren't bad going from right to left on the TV screen the wind was holding the ball up so the kicks were shorter. The other way he was getting deeper into the endzone. Similar to the distance Succup was getting. He gets a shorter week to work things out more with Fassel which should help. I would still have an alternate plan just in case.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope they bring in a veteran this week. Not sure who's out there though.
Can't believe it's that hard to find a reliable kicker. We just need to find someone that can kick from 30 to 35 yards consistently.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hell no....Vet would be my first choice...and I'm grabbing Aguyu ...or whoever was that dude the Bucs drafted in the 2nd....and taking a look..Ficken was choking yesterday....on EASY shit.
I missed seeing his last two extra points.
slicing the same way...just inside the right pole...
. I know this kid from his PSU days and he's a head case . I hope they find someone else if possible.
man....glad call

Like I say....it doesn't take rocket science...this is a game...kids game...and...just cause Fassel is a good coach( I know his ST's got run over yesterday too) he's good...doesn't mean that any of our opinions on Ficken are less...worse...not as..what, professional??? Dude made a bad choice...it happens.

You don't go into the playoffs with a kicker that misses his first FG....first extra point...and it seemed 2 of his 4 kickoffs were returned...and he's in there trying to tackle...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Aguayo

that's him...maybe Fassel in his infinite wisdom can fix a guy with some talent...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why is it that (not arguably) the best Special Teams coach in the NFL, who btw had Coons in camp, and who also btw, found GZ, decided to go with Ficken?

And now gets second guessed?

Hey....people second guess the president...I listened to quite a few "experts'...and they were fuck ups...and accidents happen...Like I said, Fassel is a good coach...still looked like Hekker hadn't thrown that pass ever to Thomas yesterday...looks like we didn't know the rule about getting your players on the field in time also...we got a pass. Coaches make mistakes...Good Coaches make mistakes too....

If Fassel is the BEST ST coach..dude on Tennessee is 1B....

Ficken will loose a game...in a more pressurized situation...with a performance like that...gave the Titans hope...momentum...who wants that on the sideline with games on the line?

They were in some bad weather tho...even more reason to replace him...IMO...

Ram65

Legend
Hell no....Vet would be my first choice...and I'm grabbing Aguyu ...or whoever was that dude the Bucs drafted in the 2nd....and taking a look..Ficken was choking yesterday....on EASY crap.
slicing the same way...just inside the right pole...

I got another look at all the kicks. Here is what I think. It wasn't as bad as some said. The Rams were terrible in KO coverage.

I hadn't seen all his kicks so I watched his kicks in the condensed version.

I think the first X Point he just missed it and I will call it nerves. Left hash mark.

The missed FG he moved to the right hash mark. All the others were left hash mark. He hit it solid right at the post. Could have been trying to figure out the wind.

The rest of the kicks he went left hash mark with a right fade ball flight. He seemed to hit them solid. He made the adjustment to his ball flight on the last 3 X Points kicking more right at the start.

The kickoffs weren't bad going from right to left on the TV screen the wind was holding the ball up so the kicks were shorter. The other way he was getting deeper into the endzone. Similar to the distance Succop was getting. He gets a shorter week to work things out more with Fassel which should help. I would still have an alternate plan just in case.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I got another look at all the kicks. Here is what I think. It wasn't as bad as some said. The Rams were terrible in KO coverage.
IDK....missing PAT's is bad...that 36 yarder...worse.

Adoree is a special talent as far as a returner....and I don't think we were used to covering...one kick was perfectly placed on the sideline...think he went for 40+ ...great blocking...poor alignment/assignment....don't think we kept lane integrity....

Guy was choking....straight out...on those first 2 attempts....almost choked on a couple others. Maybe he's so smart, he was overthinking it....

Ram65

Legend
IDK....missing PAT's is bad...that 36 yarder...worse.

Adoree is a special talent as far as a returner....and I don't think we were used to covering...one kick was perfectly placed on the sideline...think he went for 40+ ...great blocking...poor alignment/assignment....don't think we kept lane integrity....

Guy was choking....straight out...on those first 2 attempts....almost choked on a couple others. Maybe he's so smart, he was overthinking it....

I would not call it a good game. I think he made the adjustments after the first two misses. The last three were all fine kicks. I was wanting to see how he recovered from the misses. Just realized that he had to kick the field goal from the right hash mark. Not good results but, he hit it solid. You can call the misses chokes. I think after those posters blamed the KOs on him and some thought all the kicks were bad. I did not. I would have a backup plan but, none of those veterans are great kickers. Who do you like?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The last three were all fine kicks.
Looked shaky....thought the last PAT was gonna hit the pole too...or it could have been the 3 one...can't believe outta 10 guys this dude was the best....seriously.
Who do you like?
I'm into the new...the young...the talented....which crosses off Fricken...hell, don't even like his name now...LOL...

Roberto Argyou...or however you spell it...he was clutch in college, then had problems in the pros..he can be fixed....this is the type of player that bones can work with.

I can't believe GZ had back problems all season and we didn't prepare a lil better for this....he's huge to our offense...I didn't know we were 20th in the league in redzone scoring...with a %%% of TD's at 55% or something...did you see that stat?

jap

Legend
We got two sledge hammers in Todd "I am a closet decathlete!" Gurley and Malcolm "the Pile Driver" Brown. We got a Tasmanian Devil with electric quicks & steps in Tavon. We have a rising all star fly guy corps with our young WR/TE/RB groupings, many of who are above average YAC guys after the catch. We have Jared "I am a closet RB" Goff at the helm, who has already scored a rushing TD this season. We have got Johnny "I am an out-of-the-closet QB par excellence!" Hekker who has great QB stats over his time with the Horns. Are we really that badly off?

What we really need is time to maximize our red zone production in the wake of Greg's health situation. So many young kids with wild talents waiting to be efficiently untapped. Sean & Co. need to really get their heads together to work out what to do before the playoffs. The damn '9ers will be our guinea pigs. Plus, Johnny is willing to extend his hall of fame aura to embrace young Ficken over the next two months. How can we lose?

Ram65

Legend
Looked shaky....thought the last PAT was gonna hit the pole too...or it could have been the 3 one...can't believe outta 10 guys this dude was the best....seriously.
I'm into the new...the young...the talented....which crosses off Fricken...hell, don't even like his name now...LOL...

Roberto Argyou...or however you spell it...he was clutch in college, then had problems in the pros..he can be fixed....this is the type of player that bones can work with.

I can't believe GZ had back problems all season and we didn't prepare a lil better for this....he's huge to our offense...I didn't know we were 20th in the league in red zone scoring...with a %%% of TD's at 55% or something...did you see that stat?

I've noted (complained) that the Rams were taking too many field goals as opposed to scoring TDs. Not just red zone as the Ram drives spudder inside opponents 40 yard line.

I don't think Fassel has time to fix Roberto Aguayo. He was cut by the Bears in the preseason after bombing out in Tampa. He was on Carolina's PS and just cut in Dec. We will see how this plays out.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Rams were terrible in KO coverage.

The kicks were low in trajectory which didn't give the kickoff players time to get down there. The best ST's in the NFL, with 3 ProBowl players on it and a great coach, didn't suddenly stop figuring out how to play. There's a reason for that and it wasn't them.

3 kickoff returns by the Titans for 109 yds which gave them good field position each time. The same players managed to stop the 2 punt returns for a total of 12 yds because Hekker knows what he's doing.

Ficken's inability to kick field goals and extra points is not the only problems he caused. He needs to go before the playoffs begin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've noted (complained) that the Rams were taking too many field goals as opposed to scoring TDs. Not just red zone as the Ram drives spudder inside opponents 40 yard line.

I don't think Fassel has time to fix Roberto Aguayo. He was cut by the Bears in the preseason after bombing out in Tampa. He was on Carolina's PS and just cut in Dec. We will see how this plays out.
For the way we move the ball, our red zone %%%% stinks....just unexplainable....I can't put my finger on it....I probably could but this is a great day....I'll go into it more later this week...part of it is...we need to use our "proven" red zone threat...or maybe that's threat(s).

Aguayo has superior talent...if Fassel is some guru, he can fix that one....I KNOW Aguayo is better than Ficker...sorry, not sorry....eyes say so...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The kicks were low in trajectory which didn't give the kickoff players time to get down there. The best ST's in the NFL, with 3 ProBowl players on it and a great coach, didn't suddenly stop figuring out how to play. There's a reason for that and it wasn't them.

3 kickoff returns by the Titans for 109 yds which gave them good field position each time. The same players managed to stop the 2 punt returns for a total of 12 yds because Hekker knows what he's doing.

Ficken's inability to kick field goals and extra points is not the only problems he caused. He needs to go before the playoffs begin.
Truth at last...

Merry X-mas Prime....specially to all the guys that do all the heavy lifting on here.....

That shit had me pissed off....I could barely read anything after hearing about GZ's injury then surgery....To actually watch this guy....it was funny watching him fly in there to tackle too...he better be careful...this aint the B1G

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. There's a lot more to that position than most fans realize and I have to think there's a lot of stuff that didn't go right wrt the kickoffs, given how bad our coverage game looked. That is a huge problem man. If we go into the playoffs spotting opponents the ball midfield we're in trouble.

I think McVay is going to work with Fassell and give him the nod in the direction they go. But damn I am concerned man. Kicker is a huge part of a team's overall ability to win games, particularly when you're facing a great defense and special teams unit you'll see in the playoffs.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
All free agent veteran kickers are already mentally damaged. Let's give him one more week.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'd really like to see Aguayo added to the practice squad. Get a longer look at him to see if he can turn things around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd really like to see Aguayo added to the practice squad. Get a longer look at him to see if he can turn things around.

Multiple teams have tried Aguayo. He's done. If Ficken doesn't pan out, I'd rather try Carpenter or Coons. Both have showed they can hack it well enough in this league.

mikedlo23

UDFA
Name
mike
I would 100% bring in someone else....my choice would be carpenter or is Garrett Hartley still out there. He was solid in this league....I'm sorry. We have a top flight offense and cannot replace the leagues leadig scorer with a guy who no one feels comfortable with. Atleast with a veteran kicker we could all take a sigh of relief

Ram65

Legend

Agreed. There's a lot more to that position than most fans realize and I have to think there's a lot of stuff that didn't go right wrt the kickoffs, given how bad our coverage game looked. That is a huge problem man. If we go into the playoffs spotting opponents the ball midfield we're in trouble.

I think McVay is going to work with Fassell and give him the nod in the direction they go. But damn I am concerned man. Kicker is a huge part of a team's overall ability to win games, particularly when you're facing a great defense and special teams unit you'll see in the playoffs.

Hang time on KOs can't be underestimated. I thought when GZ kicking just short of the end zone but high resulted in poor field position for the offenses. I miss the old punt hang time (right corner of TV screen) and would like to see both punt and KO hang times on the screen.

I don't know what this Fickin's hang times were. One kick starting the second half was short. Thomas lost contain on the first two that were kicked to the Rams left. The big return wasn't a bad kick. The Titans set up a nice return and executed it well cutting across the field. I'll give some credit to the Titans and there retuner Jackson. We have been spoiled by the kicking of GZ.