Do the Rams stick with Ficken

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
DARK_GREY_HEATHER_e16d0904-5d57-48f7-8da2-cdf7c17c417d.JPG

Sam if you're reading this thread, sorry we're being so mean but us Rams fans have been waiting too long to be in the playoffs and get eliminated due to a missed point or field goal.

At this point I'll take anyone else before I have a nervous breakdown on every kick.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vAABxXRvs0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUiCTgE8v_4

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take the weaker legged accurate guy. Someone who can consistently hit from 40.

IIRC, Coons is 27/28 inside 40 (although, he's inaccurate on PATs, oddly enough). Carpenter is 135/140 inside 40 (but is also inaccurate on PATs, oddly enough).

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Anybody see Dan Bailey today?

Ficken will be fine.

Rams just won the NFC West, and you’re seriously banging on a kicker in his first NFL game?

What the freak is wrong with you guys?
Excuse us for worrying about the leading scorer in the NFL being replaced. Greg has won us a lot of games. Let's not overlook the importance of this position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Having a kicker with a monster leg is a luxury with our offense. We need someone reliable who can get us 3 pts when we fail inside the 30-35 yard line.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
IIRC, Coons is 27/28 inside 40 (although, he's inaccurate on PATs, oddly enough). Carpenter is 135/140 inside 40 (but is also inaccurate on PATs, oddly enough).

OK @jerry, (whose posts I like/agree with 99% of the time) - Why is it that (not arguably) the best Special Teams coach in the NFL, who btw had Coons in camp, and who also btw, found GZ, decided to go with Ficken?

And now gets second guessed?
For some reason, this whole thread just pisses me off.
Today of all days.
Go figure.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
His kicking was pretty damn bad today, but we are kind of spoiled to seeing great kicking look automatic.

Ficken obviously showed the staff that he is physically capable of getting it done and must have impressed them.
In some ways, today was as big as any game Sam Ficken could play in. His lifes dream hanging in the balance, new holder, cold weather..close game on the road... shoot, even the home kicker missed a kick he should make and he wasn't a stock broker on Tuesday.

Ficken started "terrible" and finished "not good".
To say he was "trending upward" might be a bit of a stretch, but not untrue.

Hard to say but that might have been the worst of Ficken. I see no advantage in cutting him yet.
Let him get used to Johnny and Jake. Not cutting him, is a vote of confidence, but I say be forward and honest with him and explain that you are going to add another kicker, that he did great against 11 others to get the job and he will keep doing great, because thats what competitors do.
If he isn't mentally tough enough for that, we need to keep looking.

Squidhead

UDFA
Name
J
Hold or fold... always a bit of an art. On the first drive, they passed on a make-able FG try... not a chip shot, but one a pro kicker would expect to take and make. That showed a significant lack of confidence in the kid. Add that to the missed XP & FG... possible 7 points. Every one of them affected momentum too.

I feel for the kid, and if earlier in the season, I'd be patient. However, I don't feel good going into the playoffs this unsettled and inexperienced at such a critical position. I'd prefer to go w/ someone that's kicked at this level and I'd do for the SF game to let them get settled a bit.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I read that Vinatieri was one kick away from getting cut from the Patriots early in his career.

Maybe they can lure a vet out of retirement, but if not I'd stick with Ficken. There just aren't 32 NFL-qualities kickers in the world right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK @jerry, (whose posts I like/agree with 99% of the time) - Why is it that (not arguably) the best Special Teams coach in the NFL, who btw had Coons in camp, and who also btw, found GZ, decided to go with Ficken?

And now gets second guessed?
For some reason, this whole thread just pisses me off.
Today of all days.
Go figure.

I think it's obvious where I stand. I trust Fassel, so I give Ficken another shot. If he still can't hack it, you go to a vet in the playoffs. The problem is that so much of kicking is mental. It's hard for Fassel to evaluate that before seeing it in action.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The conditions were not the best today as the Titans kicker missed a FG himself. I didn't want him kicking anymore after the missed PA and FG like many of you.

1. He was the best of a group brought in last week, and Coach Bones had to be involved with that process. I trust him.
2. Unless we're gonna drag Jeff "Money" Wilkins out of retirement, there isn't anyone to replace the kid.
3. Do we think Bones is a good coach? I think both Bones and McVay are patient, so I doubt they move on this quick until the kid makes it necessary by proving he can't hack it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The conditions were not the best today as the Titans kicker missed a FG himself. I didn't want him kicking anymore after the missed PA and FG like many of you.

1. He was the best of a group brought in last week, and Coach Bones had to be involved with that process. I trust him.
2. Unless we're gonna drag Jeff "Money" Wilkins out of retirement, there isn't anyone to replace the kid.
3. Do we think Bones is a good coach? I think both Bones and McVay are patient, so I doubt they move on this quick until the kid makes it necessary by proving he can't hack it.

The conditions are definitely worth mentioning. It was windy and wet (from what I saw). I'm good with giving him a second chance.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Recognizing that Ficken was bad today isn’t an indictment of Fassel.

I think it’s a tough call... I could see them giving Ficken another chance, but I also could see them moving to someone with more experience.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I wish we could have seen if it would have made a difference if McVay showed confidence in him that first drive and allowed him to kick the 50 yard FG.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
I think he had the nerves going 1000mph. Now that he made it through the game and will have a chance to get settled in, I think (hope!) he’ll be fine.

Think what the last week has been like for him, ranging from a tryout, to having to pack and move across the country, to meeting a new team (players and coaches), to learning what Bones wants, and on and on.

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Got to be a vet out there needing work. I'm ok with a little less distance. Just get me positive consistency in all facets of our kicking game. Otherwise, I can easily see this ending badly in a playoff game.