Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
I dont think it will go down that way. In fact, I'm positive it wont.

I mean you're entitled to your opinion but you dont know for sure. No trade clause is what it is..he has to approve the destination.

If things keep going as they are now, who knows when Houston will trade him. But if the Rams trade Goff and pick up extra draft capital and can offer sufficient value for Watson..then why would it be an issue anyways? Theyre not trading him inside their own division or even the AFC for that matter. As long as they're happy with compensation why would they care.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Kellerman was big on HBO as a boxing analyst and was and is VERY good on Boxing. He knows everyone from working on HBO and has respect in the industry.

I don't think he's got great takes on other sports, but in that regard he's like Stephen A Smith... he's legit on basketball and not good everywhere else.

At least that's my opinion.
Appreciate the info. At least I don't think Kellerman is a total doofus!

Stephen A I love for basketball, not as much football. To be honest, I used to hate the guy for calling my beloved Hawkeyes a fraud, but I've really turned the liking Cowherd more and more.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean you're entitled to your opinion but you dont know for sure. No trade clause is what it is..he has to approve the destination.

If things keep going as they are now, who knows when Houston will trade him. But if the Rams trade Goff and pick up extra draft capital and can offer sufficient value for Watson..then why would it be an issue anyways? Theyre not trading him inside their own division or even the AFC for that matter. As long as their happy with compensation why would they care.
I dont know for sure, nobody does. Since no-trades are rarely exercised in NFL, can only compare to how MLB handles it. And again, I think its pretty safe to say that a Miami isnt going to be on record for giving up on Tua if there is a chance Watson will decline the trade. The Rams will have to trade Goff in order to make this work, and the places he could theoretically get traded to will be filling those openings. If this drags on, and the Rams then cant trade Goff, they wont be able to make it happen. Then nobody wins

dang

Legend
Rams or bust is a non sensical position to take. There are other teams that Watson would willing to go to , that is if he really wants to leave.

And FWIW, just because Jalen considers himself part of DeShaun's inner circle, doesn't mean that he is.
I am 100% convinced there are a number of teams that Watson would agree to to play for. I am sure the Rams would be on that list, however, if a MIA or SF or XYZ are ready to deal and the Rams are steps behind...at some point Watson will pull the trigger. That would be like refusing offers for Microsoft or Google CEO positions because you want to be Apple CEO but Apple ain’t hiring.

Bearrister

Rookie
He's taking pieces of of what Kellerman said, injects his own thoughts. It's nonsense. I'd like to hear Kellerman verbatim say "that Jalen Ramsey has inside information that DeShaun Watson will veto any trade that doesn't put him in a Rams uniform" and then I'd give that credibility. Otherwise its nothing more than quoting some rando fan on a website as basis for debate.
I get it, you're all in on this Watson deal. And you make a lot of compelling arguments for it. This tweet? Not so much

This is what I suspect as well. I listened to Kellerman a lot when he had his local LA Max and Marcellus radio show, and listen to him every now and then on his national show. I would need to hear the clip directly, and conveniently yesterday’s (1/29) show isn’t available on their podcast.

Knowing Kellerman’s style, I can very easily see him saying “Ramsey must know something, why else would he make these pronouncements about Watson?! Maybe he talked to Watson and Watson told him he would only waive the no-trade for the Rams.” Then that Twitter poster mishears it and says “Oh shit, Kellerman said that Watson told Ramsey that he’ll only waive his no-trade clause for the Rams!”

I watched an unhealthy amount of NFL talking head coverage the last few days, and not a single other head (Scheftter, Orvlosky, etc.) repeated that “story.” That tells me that the Twitter post misquoted Kellerman.

Shuie3225

Starter
I am 100% convinced there are a number of teams that Watson would agree to to play for. I am sure the Rams would be on that list, however, if a MIA or SF or XYZ are ready to deal and the Rams are steps behind...at some point Watson will pull the trigger. That would be like refusing offers for Microsoft or Google CEO positions because you want to be Apple CEO but Apple ain’t hiring.

If Watson knows the Rams are interested, which we are...and if we are his preferred destination, why would he accept a trade elsewhere? This is all assuming we can trade Goff of course. But if we are willing to give up the compensation Houston wants to make them happy, there shouldn't be an issue getting a trade done.

My guess is there's back channel communication going on through Ramsey and Watson's agent..who is discussing things through with the Rams. Watson knows we need to trade Goff first before a compensation package can be put together. IF we are his preferred destination, and this is whats going on, and Les/McVay have committed to getting the trade done for him.. Wouldn't he decline any other trade that's not the Rams?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I may be wrong but I don't see any way that the Rams will have the draft capital to trade for Watson.
Even if they trade Goff for a first rounder.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally.
And other teams dont have the albatross that the rams have, in requiring Goff be traded prior to facilitating a deal for Watson

Shuie3225

Starter
talking head coverage the last few days, and not a single other head (Scheftter, Orvlosky, etc.) repeated that “story.” That tells me that the Twitter post misquoted Kellerman

The Ramsey/Hopkins hour long ProBowlVersus episode was Thursday night. I watched the full episode and Ramsey on TWO different occasions talked about Watson. One time he said "you know where he'll be next year, in LA." The second comment was "my future QB is about to follow me out here to Los Angeles." All this came 3 days after Ramsey commenting on Watsons Instagram with a post that said "looks like a LA man to me."

Kellermans alleged comments and the tweet that guy sent went out yesterday (Friday) afternoon at 2:11pm PST. But no where in ANY of Ramsey's comments did he say anything about a veto. Or Watson vetoing a trade to anyone but the Rams. He said nothing of the sort.

So why would Kellerman just make that part up? If he was commenting on what Ramsey said the day before, why not say something along the lines of "Jalen Ramsey is very confident the Rams will land Watson." Or.. "it appears the Rams are in the running for Watson now." He specifically said Watson "will veto" any trade not to the Rams, and that did not come from Ramsey's comments the previous day.

Bearrister

Rookie
Kellermans alleged comments and the tweet that guy sent went out yesterday (Friday) afternoon at 2:11pm PST. But no where in ANY of Ramsey's comments did he say anything about a veto. Or Watson vetoing a trade to anyone but the Rams. He said nothing of the sort.

So why would Kellerman just make that part up? If he was commenting on what Ramsey said the day before, why not say something along the lines of "Jalen Ramsey is very confident the Rams will land Watson." Or.. "it appears the Rams are in the running for Watson now." He specifically said Watson "will veto" and that did not come from Ramsey's comments the previous day.

That's what I'm saying - until I hear the clip itself, I tend to believe Kellerman didn't make the statement attributed to him by the Twitter poster. I'm familiar with Kellerman's style, watched a LOT of talking head shows the last few days including yesterday. I pretty much had ESPN on all day and had NFL Live, Highly Questionable, Around the Horn, and Pardon the Interruption on TV. They talked about the Goff situation in each show and not a single one mentioned this alleged "Ramsey said that Watson told him he'll only waive his no-trade clause for the Rams!" Adam Sheffter and all the other connected ESPN heads would love to break that story and discuss it over and over - but again, not a single one did. That tells me the Twitter poster misquoted Kellerman. IOW, I don't think Kellerman is making anything up - the Twitter poster is wrong.

Shuie3225

Starter
That's what I'm saying - until I hear the clip itself, I tend to believe Kellerman didn't make the statement attributed to him by the Twitter poster. I'm familiar with Kellerman's style, watched a LOT of talking head shows the last few days including yesterday. I pretty much had ESPN on all day and had NFL Live, Highly Questionable, Around the Horn, and Pardon the Interruption on TV. They talked about the Goff situation in each show and not a single one mentioned this alleged "Ramsey said that Watson told him he'll only waive his no-trade clause for the Rams!" Adam Sheffter and all the other connected ESPN heads would love to break that story and discuss it over and over - but again, not a single one did. That tells me the Twitter poster misquoted Kellerman. IOW, I don't think Kellerman is making anything up - the Twitter poster is wrong.

Yea thats fair. If Kellerman was the one "breaking that news" it would be getting run right now. I haven't seen anything this AM in that regard. And that type of info would typically come from an NFL insider anyways. Just weird how the words "will veto" got introduced if he was referring to Ramsey's comments from the day before. Because he didn't say that.

Bearrister

Rookie
Yea thats fair. If Kellerman was the one "breaking that news" it would be getting run right now. I haven't seen anything this AM in that regard. And that type of info would typically come from an NFL insider anyways. Just weird how the words "will veto" got introduced if he was referring to Ramsey's comments from the day before. Because he didn't say that.

Yeah trust me, I want to believe that info is true - I was ready to screen shot that tweet and send it to my fellow Rams fans haha. But it just didn't jive with the fact that no one else repeated that info.

Also, if it wasn't clear from my post, I like Kellerman, and I'm definitely not of the mindset of believing every talking ESPN head makes up their stories (opinions are a different story). If they say something on the air, I'm going to assume it's appropriately sourced - few things are more important to a journalist or media head at that level than their reputation. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Now, a random Twitter or Reddit post (a la the Goff partying rumor)? That I won't take at face value.

dang

Legend
Totally.
And other teams dont have the albatross that the rams have, in requiring Goff be traded prior to facilitating a deal for Watson
Exactly. As an analogy: Does Houston accept an all cash offer? An offer contingent on home inspection. Or an offer contingent on inspection, financing and sale of the buyers home?

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Not exactly.

Ownership went to him and outlined the process including consulting him and hiring a firm to evaluate candidates. THEY initiated it.

Then they fired the consulting firm and hired Nick Caserio. Watson wasn't even called to be told of the hiring, he found out on social media.

THEN, ownership, in response to a SUPER RARE tweet from Andre Johnson, former Texans WR blasting Jack Easterby, doubled down on their support for him by PROMOTING him from VP of Team Development to Executive VP of Football Operations . This is a guy who was a "character coach" for the Patriots who SOMEHOW became the Texans' VP of Team Development (mostly to do the same job, but also be in charge of team "culture" which means that smarmy rich, evangelical bullshit... Think Joel Osteen, but like 100x creepier) and somehow weaseled his way into becoming the EVP of Football Operations.

Jack Easterby has NO football background and is universally regarded as a shitbag within and without the organization.

Watson asked for a trade, but the Texans didn't make it public and Watson allowed them to do business letting them know he'd flex his no trade clause to ensure he went to a team he wanted through is people, but he has not and does not plan to interact with Nick Caserio or the new HC. It's widely reported that he refuses to return calls. He may have texted Caserio, but who knows at this point. The text may have said, "Grats on the new gig. Go fuck yourself. David Mulugheta will tell you where I want to go. Lose my number."

Then they hire a new HC and make public the trade request.

Then they have a New HC introductory press conference and the owner isn't there which is super rare, although as badly as the owner's botched things thus far, some of the reviews are that it was best he stayed away.

Now Caserio on the new HC are saying they are totally committed to Watson and have not plans to trade him.

Which is all negotiating bullshit because Watson has support of current and former players around the league INCLUDING current Texans that he should hold his ground. This literally may be a first that teammates of a top 5 QB are supporting him to leave their franchise because ownership are truly a bunch of shitbags.

Any story that paints Watson as anything other than truly upstanding is either someone with a grudge or looking for access from within the Texans org.

The Texans are a dumpster fire of an organization and Watson is 100% in the right to ask out.

Why sign the contract? Earl Thomas, that's why. Also, there was always the hope that they'd actually do what they said. But when ownership directly lies to your face? Yeah, that's not something the franchise QB could or should put up with.

Thanks, Mac. That is what I was looking for. I completely understand it now.

I have read great things about Watson's character, which led to the pieces not adding up. Thanks for the clarification.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. As an analogy: Does Houston accept an all cash offer? An offer contingent on home inspection. Or an offer contingent on inspection, financing and sale of the buyers home?
Especially when the all cash buyer is also offering the highest price

jap

Legend
This is one of the most significant parts of it. The Texans were the ones who came to Watson and told him they'd involve him in the process because they knew he was unhappy about what went down with DeAndre Hopkins. And then after making him that offer and promise, they promptly blew him off, ignored his input, and did what Easterby wanted.

As Mack stated, Easterby has no background in football. He has risen to power because he cozied up to Cal McNair and the family after Bob died. He's basically the John Shaw to Georgia. He's a guy who has no business making football decisions but is inexplicably calling the shots. Texans players apparently don't like the guy at all. Watson is in the right here. The Texans are a dysfunctional mess and have completely botched this thing from start to finish.

If you want to read more on how unqualified Jack Easterby is, read this:

Is Easterby suppose to be the Anti-Christ?