Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Kinda wish Ramsey would keep his mouth shut about this .. because if it doesn’t work out ..... theme gonna be some awkward convos in the dressing room
Ramsey wants his buddy to be a Ram, nothing wrong with that.

Also, with Ramsey speaking out about this, does it shows the level of what other Rams players think of Goff, or the lack of confidence they have in him?

tempests

Hall of Fame
Well, the more I think on it, the more convinced I am that is how it's gonna go down.

Watson's gonna say "make it the Rams" and the Texans are gonna say "fine, 4 1sts or you can sit out" and the Rams are gonna cough 'em up.

I did say that I felt the Rams would pay a mint and a half and that still holds.

For Ramsey to say publicly that he's sure Watson will decline any trade that's not the Rams is either super grossly irresponsible (which he's not. he talks, but he's still responsible) or that's how it is.

I think it's how it is.

I could be wrong, but that's my sense and I'll stick to that until proven otherwise.

As I said, Snead was FAR TOO coy with his whole schtick for me to not think he had a plan all ready to go.

If Houston is asking for all their extra 1st rounders, wouldn't they rather get them from a team more likely to be drafting in the top half of the 1st? Especially if they're looking for a replacement QB.

I don't see their interest in taking on Goff's contract; or why they wouldn't be looking to get 1st round picks from a team that wouldn't be drafting in the 20s.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Kinda wish Ramsey would keep his mouth shut about this .. because if it doesn’t work out ..... theme gonna be some awkward convos in the dressing room

Yes and no.

I think the Texans are putting out a lot of shit to a lot of reporters to keep up this drumbeat of how the Jets and Dolphins are such amazing destinations.... blah, blah, blah

Even seeing a bunch of Saints stuff like the Saints aren't nearly $94M over the cap in 2021...

By Ramsey essentially putting it out there that it's Rams or bust, we can cut the shit and just negotiate the price.

We know it's at least 3 1sts. Done. Don't think Snead or Demoff flinches that unless they demand a mid or high 1st this year and no one's doing that for them no matter what reporters or fans want. Miami's not doing it as they just went 10-6 and still have holes to fill and they aren't gonna wanna take all the ammo from their new HC still building the team.

Jets might entertain it, but that org is another shitshow (even as I really like the Saleh move and he's building a solid staff there) and David Mulugheta didn't get to be who he is by throwing his clients from frying pan to fire.

I actually think the final price will be 4 1sts or the equivalent if not a smidge more and while that's a record haul, it'll be worth it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If Houston is asking for all their extra 1st rounders, wouldn't they rather get them from a team more likely to be drafting in the top half of the 1st? Especially if they're looking for a replacement QB.

I don't see their interest in taking on Goff's contract; or why they wouldn't be looking to get 1st round picks from a team that wouldn't be drafting in the 20s.

Houston has no choice. Watson has a no trade clause. He can veto any trade which means if Watson has said "Rams or bust" the ONLY two choices are for the Texans to make a deal with the Rams or watch Watson sit. And he's apparently put out word that is exactly what he'll do if forced.

He's not fucking around. He's out.

Oh and if they wait a year, due to Watson's salary (it goes up from $10.5M this year to $35M or around there in 2022), they'll be lucky to get 2 1sts. The time to do it is now.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If he wants out of Houston that badly he's going to relax his veto options.

No, because he'd end up in just another shitty ownership situation, likely the Jets.

I've never seen this much support for a player both inside and outside the org to hold the line and not give in. This situation is more than unique. When ownership makes promises to players, it's expected that they are kept. Word is bond.

When ownership lies to the franchise QBs face, that means their promises mean nothing.

Why would Watson relax his options? The Texans best QB who will play for them right now is AJ McCarron and they have no 1st or 2nd round picks to even draft one of the 2nd tier QBs in this draft or even trade for someone like Jameis Winston, presuming he's not the starting QB in NO.

If the Texans don't trade Watson to the Rams, they're forfeiting the last season JJ Watt is with the team (presuming he stays, they have zero dead cap if they try and trade him and he counts $17.5M against the cap) for AJ McCarron to be the QB???

The fans would burn the stadium down...

tempests

Hall of Fame
No, because he'd end up in just another shitty ownership situation, likely the Jets.

I've never seen this much support for a player both inside and outside the org to hold the line and not give in. This situation is more than unique. When ownership makes promises to players, it's expected that they are kept. Word is bond.

When ownership lies to the franchise QBs face, that means their promises mean nothing.

Why would Watson relax his options? The Texans best QB who will play for them right now is AJ McCarron and they have no 1st or 2nd round picks to even draft one of the 2nd tier QBs in this draft or even trade for someone like Jameis Winston, presuming he's not the starting QB in NO.

If the Texans don't trade Watson to the Rams, they're forfeiting the last season JJ Watt is with the team (presuming he stays, they have zero dead cap if they try and trade him and he counts $17.5M against the cap) for AJ McCarron to be the QB???

The fans would burn the stadium down...

Rams or bust is a non sensical position to take. There are other teams that Watson would willing to go to , that is if he really wants to leave.

And FWIW, just because Jalen considers himself part of DeShaun's inner circle, doesn't mean that he is.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Oh yes they do. You're way too carried away with this.

And like I said, if he wants to be traded he'll make concessions.

Well, that's just wrong.

Trent Williams even without a no trade clause still got what he wanted and the WFT came out stinking like a New Delhi sewer.

I'm not too carried away... I got this fucking migraine going on day 15 and I can't sleep and I'm having a fun distraction discussing the possibility and now it looks like strong probability that this trade is happening. And it's exciting because it's new AND I see a ton of ways in which McVay could once again just rock the league with someone like Watson.

Also, Watson DOES want to be traded, Ramsey publicly stated that Watson has informed or will inform shortly that he'll veto any trade that doesn't put him in a Rams uni and there are no concessions on Watson's part to make.

He's willing to sit out if they don't trade him. The Texans have ZERO flex in this other than being willing to go through all that to get value.

The good news is that the Rams aren't gonna dick around over price. They'll work to get it done well and then focus on building the rest with what they have.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and no.

I think the Texans are putting out a lot of shit to a lot of reporters to keep up this drumbeat of how the Jets and Dolphins are such amazing destinations.... blah, blah, blah

Even seeing a bunch of Saints stuff like the Saints aren't nearly $94M over the cap in 2021...

By Ramsey essentially putting it out there that it's Rams or bust, we can cut the shit and just negotiate the price.

We know it's at least 3 1sts. Done. Don't think Snead or Demoff flinches that unless they demand a mid or high 1st this year and no one's doing that for them no matter what reporters or fans want. Miami's not doing it as they just went 10-6 and still have holes to fill and they aren't gonna wanna take all the ammo from their new HC still building the team.

Jets might entertain it, but that org is another shitshow (even as I really like the Saleh move and he's building a solid staff there) and David Mulugheta didn't get to be who he is by throwing his clients from frying pan to fire.

I actually think the final price will be 4 1sts or the equivalent if not a smidge more and while that's a record haul, it'll be worth it.
I honestly think it’s time to keep our 1st because in four year time when we are struggling to bring in FAs and we are 4-12 because the org is struggling to put top talent around him

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Rams or bust is a non sensical position to take. There are other teams that Watson would willing to go to , that is if he really wants to leave.

And FWIW, just because Jalen considers himself part of DeShaun's inner circle, doesn't mean that he is.

It may be nonsense to you.

Look, we both could be wrong. I dunno.

I don't think I am and I'd bet all my ROD bucks that I'm not.

I'm not relying on one report, either. I've been collating numerous tidbits that all point to the inexorable conclusion that this trade is happening...like iron shavings in an electromagnetic field.

We can agree to disagree, tho.

It's all just talk until the deals are done.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey wants his buddy to be a Ram, nothing wrong with that.

Also, with Ramsey speaking out about this, does it shows the level of what other Rams players think of Goff, or the lack of confidence they have in him?
Or is it just ramsey running his mouth ? ... laughing with his mates ? .... no one else is messaging Stafford or telling people know where he is going

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I honestly think it’s time to keep our 1st because in four year time when we are struggling to bring in FAs and we are 4-12 because the org is struggling to put top talent around him

Wait, so we've had winning seasons all 4 years McVay's been here with no 1st rounders, but now, all of a sudden, if we don't have them and with Watson, we're gonna sink to 4-12???

Um... that's crazy talk.

We can disagree without resorting to that level of hyperbole.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, so we've had winning seasons all 4 years McVay's been here with no 1st rounders, but now, all of a sudden, if we don't have them and with Watson, we're gonna sink to 4-12???

Um... that's crazy talk.

We can disagree without resorting to that level of hyperbole.
Past success doesn’t necessarily guarantee future sucesss .. yeah we have hit on late round picks like our DBS ... jrey hasn’t exactly set the league on fire ...or GE for that matter .. we have lost our vomit college scouting maybe he was the guy that hit on those pics and we give way to much credit for Snead

Also I’ve been harping on keeping our number one picks for a while .. feel free to search my post history ..

Also 4 winning seasons with the guy everyone wants to get rid of ????

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Or is it just ramsey running his mouth ? ... laughing with his mates ? .... no one else is messaging Stafford or telling people know where he is going

Ramsey could be accused of "recruiting" based on the Verzuz Zoom call/show thing...whatever it is with Deion Sanders and MJ Acosta-Ruiz.

But Ramsey said and Max Kellerman relayed on the radio yesterday and named Ramsey that Ramsey said that "he had inside information that Watson will veto any trade that doesn't put him in a Rams uniform"

That's a terribly specific allegation to make.

A) if untrue, it could potentially violate tampering rules although players aren't generally subject to them
B) Ramsey could have that info even if he's said nothing to Watson as they have the same agent
C) if untrue, Ramsey would be harming one of his agent's clients and could be subject to civil litigation if things turned out badly as a result of his interference.

The stuff coming out now is stuff that if it were just BS could cost people jobs and/or serious litigation money... and Ramsey could lose his agent who's the best in the game rn. There's no way he's risking his relationship with the best agent in football to recruit.

C'mon y'all.

It's fine to be against this, but it just sounds like people are being salty for being salty's sake.

I'm all over this because it's a fun distraction, but I also REALLY like Goff. I hope he goes to the Colts and we beat them in the Super Bowl in a game for the AGES!!!

It's a fine Saturday morning... and we're just posting.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Past success doesn’t necessarily guarantee future sucesss .. yeah we have hit on late round picks like our DBS ... jrey hasn’t exactly set the league on fire ...or GE for that matter .. we have lost our vomit college scouting maybe he was the guy that hit on those pics and we give way to much credit for Snead

Also I’ve been harping on keeping our number one picks for a while .. feel free to search my post history ..

Also 4 winning seasons with the guy everyone wants to get rid of ????

Well, firstly, I don't want to get rid of Goff just to get rid of him.

I'm entertaining the notion of UPGRADING over Goff.

Other than Watson, I DO NOT want to move Goff.

And I'll be pissed if we change courses and trade for Stafford. No on Stafford.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Trent Williams even without a no trade clause still got what he wanted and the WFT came out stinking like a New Delhi sewer.

I don't recall him saying he wouldn't play for anyone but 'Frisco. He'd have been willing to go to other teams, they just wouldn't trade him.

At this point it's not in DeShaun's interest to limit his trading potential. At minimum he needs to explore options and keep the doors open.

I'm willing to leave it at this, "agree to disagree" if you concede there are scenarios, other than what you've laid out, in which this situation might resolve itself.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don't recall him saying he wouldn't play for anyone but 'Frisco. He'd have been willing to go to other teams, they just wouldn't trade him.

At this point it's not in DeShaun's interest to limit his trading potential. At minimum he needs to explore options and keep the doors open.

I'm willing to leave it at this, "agree to disagree" if you concede there are scenarios, other than what you've laid out, in which this situation might resolve itself.

No, Williams just wanted to be traded at all and WFT refused thinking he'd play. After OVER a year, they finally relented and got much less than they would have if they'd just traded at the time. They emptied the entire clip into their foot on that one...

There are definitely two scenarios: Texans trade Watson to the Rams or Watson sits. I haven't saved all the links to all the tweets/articles/blurbs, etc, but since Watson said he'd be willing to sit rather than go to a team he didn't approve of AND he's apparently "Rams or bust"...

yeah, there's those two scenarios.

And I gotta be honest, you're right... with the shitshow that is the Texans FO/ownership situation, they very well could cut off their own noses to spite their faces. That's a very real possibility.

I grant you that. Absolutely. Unfortunate, but possible.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if Kellerman is lying, Ramsey would straight up call him out and he'd look super bad. Ramsey is a named source for this.

So, either Ramsey is going all in on the recruiting or he's telling the truth.

The only person looking bad is Ramsey. Goff is still on the roster and he's blabbing everywhere that Watson is coming to LA. If he knows why doesn't he just shut the fuck up about it until Goff is traded.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The only person looking bad is Ramsey. Goff is still on the roster and he's blabbing everywhere that Watson is coming to LA. If he knows why doesn't he just shut the fuck up about it until Goff is traded.

I dunno. I can speculate, but that's all it would be.

Could be that he's doing the public work while David Mulugheta works behind the scenes. Agent doesn't want to burn bridges by playing it all out in public so he lets Ramsey do it... and it turns out he's happy to do it because he thinks it makes the team better and helps his agent.

If I had my druthers, Goff would have continued to improve on his 2018 season and we'd all be sitting here in this volatile off-season going, "damn, I'm glad we don't have to worry about the QB position for a really long time"

Hasn't happened that way and I know that many disagree on all the Ws as well as the how.

I'm just talking about this one thing cuz for whatever reason I see some amazing synergies with Watson and McVay... like GSOT level amazing.

That's how I see it.

But I'll root for the team no matter what.