Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Thanks.

I can understand being upset that he wasn't in the loop before the Hopkins trade. The firing of the head coach is a stretch to me just because he should have been elated.

Their organization is a cluster. I wouldn't be happy, either. But I honestly don't see him as anymore of a "victim" than everyone else on the 53. Most of us work for a shitty organization/boss at some point. Few of us get to make the choice (AFTER the Hopkins trade, mind you) to commit to that organization for a period that expands years and includes compensation over 100 million.

If that is all there is to it, he can live in the bed he made as far as I am concerned.

On an aside, I am under the impression he was upset because, after all of the above, they didn't interview who he recommended for the HC position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing is clear. McVay and the Rams are not going to settle with just having a playoff caliber top10 team. For that I am thankful because 7-9 or worse bullshit each year was not satisfying.
Makes you wonder how good the team could be if we had a deep threat and an upgrade at center that people have been asking for since McVay didn't resign Sullivan.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Makes you wonder how good the team could be if we had a deep threat and an upgrade at center that people have been asking for since McVay didn't resign Sullivan.
In his Defense, wasn't Sullivan a bad liability towards the end?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Miami is on Watson’s list, and if they want him, they have more Ammo.

Also, what could the Rams do with all those picks? This team knows how to draft too. When I think of Snead making those picks or getting 2nds/3rds for them and more Akers types in trades... that could be a lot of good players.

I say do it, but shiiiiit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've read a ton of articles on Watson being upset with management. Can someone explain to me why?

He signed his contract after Hopkins was already traded. If he is upset with management because they didn't follow an interview process that he suggested (all I can really find/delineate), then I honestly don't get it. I hope there is more to the story that someone can share. I also hope we haven't reached the age where a player (prima donna?, which doesn't coincide with Watson's rep) begins to determine the pathway management should take and if it isn't followed, have the ability to force themselves out as result. The repercussions would not be positive.

If there isn't more behind it than I know of, I really hope the Texans take the same stance as the Steelers did with Bell. Let him sit out for three years and don't pay him while he's gone.

Regarding the Rams, I honestly don't think we are a fit. If he were on the market, he'd require 3 firsts as a starting point. We aren't that team.

Not exactly.

Ownership went to him and outlined the process including consulting him and hiring a firm to evaluate candidates. THEY initiated it.

Then they fired the consulting firm and hired Nick Caserio. Watson wasn't even called to be told of the hiring, he found out on social media.

THEN, ownership, in response to a SUPER RARE tweet from Andre Johnson, former Texans WR blasting Jack Easterby, doubled down on their support for him by PROMOTING him from VP of Team Development to Executive VP of Football Operations . This is a guy who was a "character coach" for the Patriots who SOMEHOW became the Texans' VP of Team Development (mostly to do the same job, but also be in charge of team "culture" which means that smarmy rich, evangelical bullshit... Think Joel Osteen, but like 100x creepier) and somehow weaseled his way into becoming the EVP of Football Operations.

Jack Easterby has NO football background and is universally regarded as a shitbag within and without the organization.

Watson asked for a trade, but the Texans didn't make it public and Watson allowed them to do business letting them know he'd flex his no trade clause to ensure he went to a team he wanted through is people, but he has not and does not plan to interact with Nick Caserio or the new HC. It's widely reported that he refuses to return calls. He may have texted Caserio, but who knows at this point. The text may have said, "Grats on the new gig. Go fuck yourself. David Mulugheta will tell you where I want to go. Lose my number."

Then they hire a new HC and make public the trade request.

Then they have a New HC introductory press conference and the owner isn't there which is super rare, although as badly as the owner's botched things thus far, some of the reviews are that it was best he stayed away.

Now Caserio on the new HC are saying they are totally committed to Watson and have not plans to trade him.

Which is all negotiating bullshit because Watson has support of current and former players around the league INCLUDING current Texans that he should hold his ground. This literally may be a first that teammates of a top 5 QB are supporting him to leave their franchise because ownership are truly a bunch of shitbags.

Any story that paints Watson as anything other than truly upstanding is either someone with a grudge or looking for access from within the Texans org.

The Texans are a dumpster fire of an organization and Watson is 100% in the right to ask out.

Why sign the contract? Earl Thomas, that's why. Also, there was always the hope that they'd actually do what they said. But when ownership directly lies to your face? Yeah, that's not something the franchise QB could or should put up with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not exactly.

Ownership went to him and outlined the process including consulting him and hiring a firm to evaluate candidates. THEY initiated it.

Then they fired the consulting firm and hired Nick Caserio. Watson wasn't even called to be told of the hiring, he found out on social media.

This is one of the most significant parts of it. The Texans were the ones who came to Watson and told him they'd involve him in the process because they knew he was unhappy about what went down with DeAndre Hopkins. And then after making him that offer and promise, they promptly blew him off, ignored his input, and did what Easterby wanted.

As Mack stated, Easterby has no background in football. He has risen to power because he cozied up to Cal McNair and the family after Bob died. He's basically the John Shaw to Georgia. He's a guy who has no business making football decisions but is inexplicably calling the shots. Texans players apparently don't like the guy at all. Watson is in the right here. The Texans are a dysfunctional mess and have completely botched this thing from start to finish.

If you want to read more on how unqualified Jack Easterby is, read this:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's what I been sayin' yo!!!

We gonna pay through the freaking nose, but we getting Deshaun Watson.

Don't be surprised if we send 4 1st rounders plus our 2nd this year for Watson.

I think the Lions connection will be about the Lions trading for Goff.

I think the Lions want the 9ers first (and they are resisting mightily by offering multiple 2nd and 3rds) so that they can in turn send their lower 1st to the Rams for Goff.

Or the Rams could look to Indy or Washington. I feel pretty comfortable because while there are draftable QBs at the top, and there seems to be a glut of journeyman type QBs out there, there's no one close to a QB with Goff's resume. And if you're Frank Reich, you GOTTA think you can fix/rehab someone with Goff's tools.

The Rams then turn that 1st, the 2nd, and the 1sts from 2022, 2023 and 2024 with a conditional pick in 2024 which could be as much as a 2nd if we win the Super Bowl in 21, 22, or 23.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Kellerman is hot garbage so idk lol.

I agree mostly (not for boxing, but for most other things), but he's relaying what Jalen Ramsey said. This isn't one of those "anonymous sources"

And if Kellerman is lying, Ramsey would straight up call him out and he'd look super bad. Ramsey is a named source for this.

So, either Ramsey is going all in on the recruiting or he's telling the truth.

I think Ramsey's telling the truth.

Also, about all those "lists" of the "best spots for Watson" how is it that NONE of them have the Rams when we have McVay and it's clear that Goff is on the outs?

Have we not shown we'll deal tons of 1sts for players we think are worth it? What are they thinking?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yes, that WOULD surprise me. Too rich, no way.

Well, the more I think on it, the more convinced I am that is how it's gonna go down.

Watson's gonna say "make it the Rams" and the Texans are gonna say "fine, 4 1sts or you can sit out" and the Rams are gonna cough 'em up.

I did say that I felt the Rams would pay a mint and a half and that still holds.

For Ramsey to say publicly that he's sure Watson will decline any trade that's not the Rams is either super grossly irresponsible (which he's not. he talks, but he's still responsible) or that's how it is.

I think it's how it is.

I could be wrong, but that's my sense and I'll stick to that until proven otherwise.

As I said, Snead was FAR TOO coy with his whole schtick for me to not think he had a plan all ready to go.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree mostly (not for boxing, but for most other things), but he's relaying what Jalen Ramsey said. This isn't one of those "anonymous sources"

And if Kellerman is lying, Ramsey would straight up call him out and he'd look super bad. Ramsey is a named source for this.

So, either Ramsey is going all in on the recruiting or he's telling the truth.

I think Ramsey's telling the truth.

Also, about all those "lists" of the "best spots for Watson" how is it that NONE of them have the Rams when we have McVay and it's clear that Goff is on the outs?

Have we not shown we'll deal tons of 1sts for players we think are worth it? What are they thinking?
I think Max was just speculating that jalen has I side info. Max loves to do that (talk confidently as if he knows anything). I do think Ramsey is in Watson's ear though.

Also, writers have way too short sighted/broad views. Remember when we were gonna hit cap hell according to every writer. And then they just shut up when we signed like 6 players last off-season lol the Rams could easily make the firsts 21-24 and add an extra second and a player to make up for not having a first this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, the more I think on it, the more convinced I am that is how it's gonna go down.

Watson's gonna say "make it the Rams" and the Texans are gonna say "fine, 4 1sts or you can sit out" and the Rams are gonna cough 'em up.

I did say that I felt the Rams would pay a mint and a half and that still holds.

For Ramsey to say publicly that he's sure Watson will decline any trade that's not the Rams is either super grossly irresponsible (which he's not. he talks, but he's still responsible) or that's how it is.

I think it's how it is.

I could be wrong, but that's my sense and I'll stick to that until proven otherwise.

As I said, Snead was FAR TOO coy with his whole schtick for me to not think he had a plan all ready to go.

I think Ramsey might help, sure. That kind of recruiting couldn’t hurt.

But, as far as the Rams having plans ready to go, what kind of tampering rules exist around things we’d be implying by that?

I can’t help but think that part of the trade theory is more coincidental if something develops.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think Max was just speculating that jalen has I side info. Max loves to do that (talk confidently as if he knows anything). I do think Ramsey is in Watson's ear though.

Also, writers have way too short sighted/broad views. Remember when we were gonna hit cap hell according to every writer. And then they just shut up when we signed like 6 players last off-season lol the Rams could easily make the firsts 21-24 and add an extra second and a player to make up for not having a first this year.

Max as a sports reporter said that a named player (Jalen Ramsey) stated on the record that he has inside info that for Watson, it's Rams or bust. If he was quoting an "unnamed source", he'd have protection, but with a named source? Nope.

Fabricating a story like that is grounds not only to be fired, but to not work in media again. If Ramsey didn't actually say what Max Kellerman reported, he could lose everything and I don't see him risking his career for a single tip on a story that's not even the biggest story because it's right before the Super Bowl.

I agree that they could package picks like our 2nd this year and w/e we get from trading Goff and then 1sts in the next 4 years after that (I do think it's gonna take 4 1sts for the Texans' FO to stop fucking around and just get on with business)

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think Ramsey might help, sure. That kind of recruiting couldn’t hurt.

But, as far as the Rams having plans ready to go, what kind of tampering rules exist around things we’d be implying by that?

I can’t help but think that part of the trade theory is more coincidental if something develops.

Don't forget they share the same agent and it seems clear to me that Ramsey and Watson are talking.

Also, the tampering rules are a rarely enforced joke.

No team can put together some of the blockbuster trades and have the contracts written in the 48 hour timeframe that constitutes the "legal tampering period". Just the back and forth between lawyers and ensuring proper league contract compliance takes longer than that and I know nothing about contract law and even less about NFL specific player contract law. And even still, I know it takes longer than that.

If Watson didn't have the no trade clause, there could be concerns, but with Watson having literally ALL the say short of the Texans pulling a WFT and burning their own house down, it's just a matter of doing the negotiating.

This is a big test for Nick Caserio. He says the starting price is 3 1sts. That's actually reasonable for someone of Watson's caliber at the QB position. But if he hems and haws and drags his feet and refuses to do anything prior to the draft?

Agents around the league are gonna avoid him like the plague and he's gonna have a helluva time doing business with the other 31 teams. It's a small club and GMs that fuck around for the sake of fucking around are avoided.

And we know this because the Rams were avoided like the plague during the John Shaw days... fuck those were bad. i still don't know how we got Faulk or Timmerman. Serendipity and divine providence, I guess...

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Max as a sports reporter said that a named player (Jalen Ramsey) stated on the record that he has inside info that for Watson, it's Rams or bust. If he was quoting an "unnamed source", he'd have protection, but with a named source? Nope.

Fabricating a story like that is grounds not only to be fired, but to not work in media again. If Ramsey didn't actually say what Max Kellerman reported, he could lose everything and I don't see him risking his career for a single tip on a story that's not even the biggest story because it's right before the Super Bowl.

I agree that they could package picks like our 2nd this year and w/e we get from trading Goff and then 1sts in the next 4 years after that (I do think it's gonna take 4 1sts for the Texans' FO to stop fucking around and just get on with business)
I hope so. I'd really love Watson.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm sticking to the Rams not trading for him. Not because I don't want them too, or don't think they can make it happen, but because I don't want to get too excited and then have a team like SF trade for him.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kinda wish Ramsey would keep his mouth shut about this .. because if it doesn’t work out ..... theme gonna be some awkward convos in the dressing room