Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
NO. TRADE. CLAUSE.

If this was just about ammo, we’re not even in the discussion.

So talks about ammo are besides the point. Watson 100% controls how this plays out.

If Watson wants to come here and has David Mulugheta working on it with Snead... it’s just a matter of finding what they will accept.

Again, if this was just or even mostly a question of ammo, it wouldn’t really be a story, but a two horse race between Miami and NYJ.

Dude.

Why the yelling?

The Texans do have some control. They can simply say no, we won't trade you and he'll not get paid and instead will fine him.

The Texans, if they are smart (which again at this point....ehh), they will trade him to the highest bidder. If Deshaun doesn't sign off on it...tough noogies. He can go the retirement option.

nighttrain

Legend
They arent a bright organization, shown by how this has been handled so far. Ultimately though, if he refuses to report it can cost him $$. If he refuses to report citing medical, they can claim they cant trade him due to his medical. Dont misunderstand, I am not saying they are in the driver's seat here but there is a reality that he could get screwed by this. Of course they would be getting screwed as well because at some point he will get traded and his value diminished, say it takes until mid-season. And the compromise may end up being traded to a place he initially didnt want to go to.
doesn't the no trade clause give Watson the ammunition to refuse a trade to where he doesn't wanna be?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
doesn't the no trade clause give Watson the ammunition to refuse a trade to where he doesn't wanna be?
He has to approve a trade, that is correct. But the team doesnt have to trade him just because he requested it. In MLB typically a player with a no trade will give the team a number of teams he would accept a trade to, then the team can negotiate.
I dont recall an NFL player with a no trade clause being traded and how it worked out.
Ultimately if Watson told the team he would only accept a trade to team X, and they did not offer fair compensation, they wouldnt have to deal him

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams received 3 1's and Three 2's plus Bell for ED

We don't have it and he's not coming. .
We do have it. The Rams have an endless supply of future 1st rd picks just like every other team, just not in THIS next draft. This was my point with that post last night. All this talk(narrative) that the Rams have no draft capital is nonsense. The Rams have a lot of picks every year. Multiple 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's etc. The ONLY pick not in the ammo box is a 2021 1st.

If Houston wants three 1st's the Rams can give them three 1st's. If Houston demands one of those 1st's is a 2021 1st then sure, that would require some extra work.

nighttrain

Legend
He has to approve a trade, that is correct. But the team doesnt have to trade him just because he requested it. In MLB typically a player with a no trade will give the team a number of teams he would accept a trade to, then the team can negotiate.
I dont recall an NFL player with a no trade clause being traded and how it worked out.
Ultimately if Watson told the team he would only accept a trade to team X, and they did not offer fair compensation, they wouldnt have to deal him
so he reports and doesn't play citing injury, real or imagined, seems to me they are screwed
train

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Texans do have some control. They can simply say no, we won't trade you and he'll not get paid and instead will fine him.
They can go that way, but in today's world where optics is king....that's the last direction they want this to go.

IMO right now as we speak, Watson and Houston are negotiating. Houston will have their (compensation)demands but Watson will ultimately decide once the destinations are narrowed down, where he goes.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
NO. TRADE. CLAUSE.

If this was just about ammo, we’re not even in the discussion.

So talks about ammo are besides the point. Watson 100% controls how this plays out.

If Watson wants to come here and has David Mulugheta working on it with Snead... it’s just a matter of finding what they will accept.

Again, if this was just or even mostly a question of ammo, it wouldn’t really be a story, but a two horse race between Miami and NYJ.

I think this is what makes this so interesting. You are 100% correct, the Jets are the only team with the ammo to truly give the haul the Texans are looking for. However, with his no trade clause, if I'm Watson unless I want the team completely built around me going to an organization that has been shit for so long would be like being banned to the Sahara. We don't have the pics but we do have a very good QB that could replace Watson and we could offer other pics/players. And we are a WAY more attractive destination than any of the others. That said, it's an extremely low chance but we can at least dream about it. :)

EDIT: Not to mention it doesn't matter what teams can offer the most if Watson veto's it..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We do have it. The Rams have an endless supply of future 1st rd picks just like every other team, just not in THIS next draft. This was my point with that post last night. All this talk(narrative) that the Rams have no draft capital is nonsense. The Rams have a lot of picks every year. Multiple 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's etc. The ONLY pick not in the ammo box is a 2021 1st.

If Houston wants three 1st's the Rams can give them three 1st's. If Houston demands one of those 1st's is a 2021 1st then sure, that would require some extra work.
Future #1 picks dont have near the value of current #1 picks, especially if the team was planning on drafting a QB to replace the one they are trading away.
Was trying to find a chart referring to future value picks and couldnt seem to find. Couple articles suggested value was half
Surely a team will have to be supplying at least 1 1st round pick in 2021 in the deal

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They can go that way, but in today's world where optics is king....that's the last direction they want this to go.

IMO right now as we speak, Watson and Houston are negotiating. Houston will have their (compensation)demands but Watson will ultimately decide once the destinations are narrowed down, where he goes.

I hope he stays where he's at, but it doesn't look like. Everything indicates he wants out, and the Jets are probably the team best suited to work with.

Then there's this...

Who knows man. We're not even in the Super Bowl week.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so he reports and doesn't play citing injury, real or imagined, seems to me they are screwed
train
I would think he would need some sort of medical proof of such. I know Ramsey pulled this off but he also didnt have the no trade issue.
Frankly, as much as I dont give a rat's ass about Houston, and I think they are getting what they deserve, I dont want them getting screwed here. They should be able to get a fair, equitable trade for Watson. If he gets to force a trade to wherever he wants and the team is forced to accept unfair comp? That would be NBA style, and a bad path to follow

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Future #1 picks dont have near the value of current #1 picks, especially if the team was planning on drafting a QB to replace the one they are trading away.
Was trying to find a chart referring to future value picks and couldnt seem to find. Couple articles suggested value was half
Surely a team will have to be supplying at least 1 1st round pick in 2021 in the deal
Probably. Maybe. Then again as i posted earlier, of all these teams being rumored to be involved, Goff is clearly the better QB among those other QB's that would surely be part of a deal, which has to count for something.

Also, if they plan on drafting that sure fire super hype 100% can't miss QB this year they aren't getting a crack at Lawrence unless they deal with Jacksonville. Houston can stock #1's and get that QB later.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff will never reach the Level of Sammy Boy every any where

Deep respect bro, but Goff is nowhere the Level the NFL respected Bradford.

Btw just saying this about Sammy boy as a trade.

Bradford imho played under a Sh#$ O ,Coach team O etc et and Goff has played under better conditions.

Bradford always had better trade conditions, Goff not so much
60E37A56-C32A-4325-BD4D-E0632B50C1A3.jpeg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone that says McVay schemes help is not better then Schott Fisher needs sone Real Help

I do believe the Rams let go of Fish because of it LMAO.

Being a homer,realist seems an issue.

Can anyone say Fisher could have Develop Goff like McVay?
A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Goff will never reach the Level of Sammy Boy every any where

Deep respect bro, but Goff is nowhere the Level the NFL respected Bradford.

Btw just saying this about Sammy boy as a trade.

Bradford imho played under a Sh#$ O ,Coach team O etc et and Goff has played under better conditions.

Bradford always had better trade conditions, Goff not so much

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably. Maybe. Then again as i posted earlier, of all these teams being rumored to be involved, Goff is clearly the better QB among those other QB's that would surely be part of a deal, which has to count for something.

Also, if they plan on drafting that sure fire super hype 100% can't miss QB this year they aren't getting a crack at Lawrence unless they deal with Jacksonville. Houston can stock #1's and get that QB later.
Well, the ideal situation for them would be to find amicable middle ground. Have Watson supply them with a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Then Houston can try to get the best deal from that pool.
Leaving Watson and Houston aside, it's kind of unfair for other teams to actually propose a trade without knowing if he'll accept. Teams with incumbent QB's would look pretty silly when they have to explain to their QB why they were in stealth mode trying getting rid of him....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They arent a bright organization, shown by how this has been handled so far. Ultimately though, if he refuses to report it can cost him $$. If he refuses to report citing medical, they can claim they cant trade him due to his medical. Dont misunderstand, I am not saying they are in the driver's seat here but there is a reality that he could get screwed by this. Of course they would be getting screwed as well because at some point he will get traded and his value diminished, say it takes until mid-season. And the compromise may end up being traded to a place he initially didnt want to go to.

I'm saying he does report but sits out due to an "injury," like Ramsey did with the Jaguars. The team acquiring him would still be able to do so as long as he passes their physical.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm saying he does report but sits out due to an "injury," like Ramsey did with the Jaguars. The team acquiring him would still be able to do so as long as he passes their physical.
And if he isnt traded by the time he's due to report, he's likely eliminated several of the teams he wanted to play for from gaining his services. If he wants to go to San Fran but they get Stafford instead, wanted to go to Atlanta but now they already used the #1 pick etc.
Like I said above, at some point this needs to be amicable and fair for both sides

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ahhhhh... So the Ramsey technique (who happens to have the same agent...

Exactly. That's how Deshaun takes the leverage. If he threatens that, the Texans end up with no QB and having to pay him to sit on the bench. That's why trading him now is the only option, if Deshaun is willing to play hardball. If they wait, other teams are going to get their QB situation figured out, which means less bidders. And Deshaun can deprive them of even more leverage by refusing to play for the majority of the teams remaining who are interested. If they trade him now, they can figure out the QB situation for next year now, they can maximize his trade value, and they can avoid the very public spat. If they try to play hardball, they're going to shoot themselves in the foot again.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I would think he would need some sort of medical proof of such. I know Ramsey pulled this off but he also didnt have the no trade issue.
Frankly, as much as I dont give a rat's ass about Houston, and I think they are getting what they deserve, I dont want them getting screwed here. They should be able to get a fair, equitable trade for Watson. If he gets to force a trade to wherever he wants and the team is forced to accept unfair comp? That would be NBA style, and a bad path to follow

Watson is opening up pandora box he is doing something that's been unprecedented in the NFL because he has a no trade clause. Anyhow my question is Anthony Davis and LeBron teaming up and and Davis forced his way to LA. How do you feel about that trade and do you feel it was equal value? I'm interested in getting your take on that. We don't even know if Watson prefers LA technically but if he does Ramsey is LeBron here Watson is Davis and the agent is the agent they had the same agent in the NBA and the same agent here.