Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Team that is never mentioned as a potential landing spot for Watson, that actually would be a good fit, what about the Dallas Cowboys? In fact they are seemingly left out of all the landing spot discussions despite having a huge void at the QB spot at the moment. The only QB under contract currently in Dallas are Ben DiNucci and Cooper Rush

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Even a qb with elite competitive and physical talent needs a highly functioning offense around him.

The 4-12 record Houston put up last season attests to that. Watson's numbers were excellent and still the team sucked.

I really like Goff. I just like Watson's skill set with McVay's offense that much more.

The debate isn't Watson's skill set vs. Goff. I think most of this board likes Watson's skill set over Goff's. Part of the debate is over how the Rams have handled Goff, both in this situation as well as how well they've done at putting a team around him the last two years.

The other part of the debate, at least with me, is the cost of acquiring Watson and the long term implications for the team. As I said to @OldSchool upthread, this board has become a "hopium" den. People look as Watson's skill set and begin salivating, and that part is understandable.

But the board also looks like a bunch of 18 year old boys who really have their eye set on a really hot new car, with a salesman telling him that he can have it with zero interest financing for the first year. The 18 year old kid is looking at that and not thinking about the insurance payments, the jump in payments when the zero interest financing is over, maintenance costs, and his own limited means to pay for all of those things. He's just thinking of riding around in the car with a hot chick riding shotgun while glossing over the very real, long-term costs of his hot new car.

Meanwhile, he has a car that is more than adequate with the costs already accounted for and he can drive it for another year, see if it's still good enough then and meanwhile save his dollars to make another hot car more affordable. Long term, that's the smart play. But the pull of instant gratification clouds his judgment, and dammit, he wants it now.

I hear what you are saying regarding the early contracts but if only 20/20 hindsight right? I mean we could have went the Dallas route and not paid a QB only to see him lead a top offense for two years.

This^.

It's so easy to say not to pay them, but it's always 20/20 hindsight. You have to put your stake in the ground somewhere, and if you wait too long, they are going to cost more and you could very well end up in a situation where you either have to pay someone more than you think he's worth or end up without a viable solution at the position. It's doubly skewed at QB because it's by far the hardest position to replace. Their salaries are off the charts due to simple supply and demand, and the problem is exacerbated in a salary capped league.

Shorter version: it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Every coach is different and I'd prefer that McVay do nothing the way Fisher did.

I wasn't aware there was a debate over McVay vs. Fisher. Missed that thread.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Team that is never mentioned as a potential landing spot for Watson, that actually would be a good fit, what about the Dallas Cowboys? In fact they are seemingly left out of all the landing spot discussions despite having a huge void at the QB spot at the moment. The only QB under contract currently in Dallas are Ben DiNucci and Cooper Rush

They don't have the assets, except if they trade Ceedee Lamb or Amari Cooper (I think Amari is a bit overrated) which I don't think they would. I wouldn't want anyone from their defense.

I have hopes Nick Caserio knows what he's doing. Ultimately he would need to get an epic return, and have Cal give the OK to trade away their last star player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They don't have the assets, except if they trade Ceedee Lamb or Amari Cooper (I think Amari is a bit overrated) which I don't think they would. I wouldn't want anyone from their defense.

I have hopes Nick Caserio knows what he's doing. Ultimately he would need to get an epic return, and have Cal give the OK to trade away their last star player.
They have the 10th pick in the draft though, they could offer that, 2022 1st round pick and this years 2nd. If they end up on the list of teams he'd play for, that would be a pretty fair trade. Wouldnt tie up their cap this year either

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have the 10th pick in the draft though, they could offer that, 2022 1st round pick and this years 2nd. If they end up on the list of teams he'd play for, that would be a pretty fair trade. Wouldnt tie up their cap this year either
Trading him in to a hated team in state would be an incredibly rough sell to their fans IMO. Not that it'll be easy on the owner and front office if they trade him at all but to Dallas and Jerry Jones would be the worst.

Angry Ram

I don't think that's enough. They allegedly want a minimum of three first rounders.

I could be wrong, especially with this org, but they will want to win ASAP otherwise the shitstorm is gonna continue all of 2021.

The Jets and Dolphins are really the only teams that can make it happen this year. Multiple first round picks this year, picks in the top 10. I'm starting to have doubts on the Dolphins, though...why would they just essentially return the Texans picks? Jets have the assets and players (Quinnen Williams) to make it work.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't think that's enough. They allegedly want a minimum of three first rounders.

I could be wrong, especially with this org, but they will want to win ASAP otherwise the shitstorm is gonna continue all of 2021.

The Jets and Dolphins are really the only teams that can make it happen this year. Multiple first round picks this year, picks in the top 10. I'm starting to have doubts on the Dolphins, though...why would they just essentially return the Texans picks? Jets have the assets and players (Quinnen Williams) to make it work.
You think Selah, a defensive minded coach in his first major move is going to give up their best young defensive player?

Angry Ram

You think Selah, a defensive minded coach in his first major move is going to give up their best young defensive player?

For a QB? Sure. And who else on the Jets would you want that could equate a first round pick? Their LT is pretty good but the Texans already have Laremy Tunsil at LT.

I'm just saying that for a caliber of player that Deshaun is and could be, yeah he'd be worth a DT like Quinnen Williams.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 4-12 record Houston put up last season attests to that. Watson's numbers were excellent and still the team sucked.

The debate isn't Watson's skill set vs. Goff. I think most of this board likes Watson's skill set over Goff's. Part of the debate is over how the Rams have handled Goff, both in this situation as well as how well they've done at putting a team around him the last two years.

The other part of the debate, at least with me, is the cost of acquiring Watson and the long term implications for the team. As I said to @OldSchool upthread, this board has become a "hopium" den. People look as Watson's skill set and begin salivating, and that part is understandable.

But the board also looks like a bunch of 18 year old boys who really have their eye set on a really hot new car, with a salesman telling him that he can have it with zero interest financing for the first year. The 18 year old kid is looking at that and not thinking about the insurance payments, the jump in payments when the zero interest financing is over, maintenance costs, and his own limited means to pay for all of those things. He's just thinking of riding around in the car with a hot chick riding shotgun while glossing over the very real, long-term costs of his hot new car.

Meanwhile, he has a car that is more than adequate with the costs already accounted for and he can drive it for another year, see if it's still good enough then and meanwhile save his dollars to make another hot car more affordable. Long term, that's the smart play. But the pull of instant gratification clouds his judgment, and dammit, he wants it now.

This^.

It's so easy to say not to pay them, but it's always 20/20 hindsight. You have to put your stake in the ground somewhere, and if you wait too long, they are going to cost more and you could very well end up in a situation where you either have to pay someone more than you think he's worth or end up without a viable solution at the position. It's doubly skewed at QB because it's by far the hardest position to replace. Their salaries are off the charts due to simple supply and demand, and the problem is exacerbated in a salary capped league.

Shorter version: it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I wasn't aware there was a debate over McVay vs. Fisher. Missed that thread.

You mentioned how the Rams handled Bradford vs Goff - the HC of the Rams when Bradford was traded was Fisher.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You mentioned how the Rams handled Bradford vs Goff - the HC of the Rams when Bradford was traded was Fisher.

As an example counter to the supposition you put forth regarding how the Rams would look bad if they publicly stated they were committed to Goff while privately trying to trade him and whether or not it "looked good". Not specifically a debate on the merits of that regime relative to this one. But if you want to go there, yes, I think they handled the Bradford situation then better than they are handling the Goff situation now. And that was for a guy that never even QBed the Rams in a playoff game/win, much less for a winning season at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As an example counter to the supposition you put forth regarding how the Rams would look bad if they publicly stated they were committed to Goff while privately trying to trade him and whether or not it "looked good". Not specifically a debate on the merits of that regime relative to this one. But if you want to go there, yes, I think they handled the Bradford situation then better than they are handling the Goff situation now. And that was for a guy that never even QBed the Rams in a playoff game/win, much less for a winning season at all.
Bradford couldn’t even stay healthy and people are comparing Goff to him? I just don’t get it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hope you’re right.
Garropolo gets a ton of shit from us here playing for the hated 9ers, and a lot of it is deserved. But I have to say, when 100% healthy, I am much more afraid of Jimmy G under center than I would ever be with Stafford. Thanks to Sunday Ticket, Fantasy Football and the Rams sucking for a decade, I sure got to see my share of Stafford in his “prime”. And while fun to watch at times, he was nothing more than a volume passer, who if given 45-50 attempts would get on a roll at some point, even if down by 20. But never saw a guy who could handle the game manager type situation where he doesn’t get 3 throws to get 1st down, he gets 1.
That’s what I love about Goff. And where I don’t think he gets enough (maybe any) credit. He’s made so many subtle chain mover plays in game manager mode. And when he gets to play the volume game he’s much better than Stafford ever was

The thing about Jimmy is that he can't stay healthy. Stafford should be an upgrade there, at minimum. Then again, Stafford has had some injuries over the past two years.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Bradford couldn’t even stay healthy and people are comparing Goff to him? I just don’t get it.

I don't know if anyone's comparing Goff to Bradford. But I compared the Rams handling of the Bradford situation leading up to the trade - where they publicly stated he was the Rams QB - to the present situation, where the coach and GM are putting out thinly veiled but very public votes of no-confidence in Goff. I made the comparison when another poster suggested that handling things the way they did with Bradford would "look bad", countering that what is happening now looks far worse and is far more disrespectful to someone who has done more for this franchise and its current head coach than Bradford did for any franchise or coach at the professional level.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I've not read all the post ,so.

I'll post this again, I believe the Draft Captitai need will be like the ED trade. And could really end up in a 3 team trade.

The could end up somewhere else. Texans have been rumored not to care for him. So some team might like him.

Rumor also had it Watson likes Miami cause of No State Tax,plus Miami has the Draft Capital.

Do the Rams have the Draft, tax breaks of the Rams etc etc.

Imho Miami is the Fav.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
No but you saw how well that went for the Steelers and Lev Bell?