Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I definitely agree that QB is not the only thing holding this offense back. Which is why even with Watson my expectations will still be simmered some.

I also found it interesting that the Texans have never had a top 10 offense in yards or points with Watson. So as exciting as Watson is. He hasn't really carried a offense all by himself either.

Their OL isn't great and they have no running game even as teams stack light boxes on them.

Watson with our running game and our defense will be an absolute SLAYER!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I wonder what happened in there to make all of them rub Goff's nose in it? They're certainly not taking the classy route.

Kinda disagree with you on this.

Implying that McVay and/or Snead "rubbed Goff's nose in it" seems to be overstating the case.

Yes, both guys said things about how Goff is the Ram QB "right now" and "at the moment." Yes, agreed, that is holding up a huge sign to other teams saying, "this guy is available for a trade."

But both guys have been nothing but positive in their comments on Goff. After both playoff games, McVay was clearly positive, saying Goff showed a lot of grit, a lot of toughness, gave the team a chance to win, etc. etc.

The ONLY negative thing I have ever heard either of these guys say about Goff was after the second Niner game (IIRC), when McVay said "Our QB has to take better care of the ball." Because, well, duh.

My only point is-- just because they have backed off their usual gushing praise for Goff does not mean they are "rubbing Goff's nose in it."

And yeah, the media overhypes this shit (especially the shock-jock guys). So get pissed at the blowhards, not at Snead and McVay.

So they implied Goff is available for a trade, had lukewarm praise for him, and said nothing critical. That doesn't sound like "rubbing his nose in it'" to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more and more I hear I'm beginning to think this is the case. When have we ever known McVay and Snead to give up a competitive advantage? Add in the Ramsey talk and the fact him and Watson have the same agent..something could have already been agreed upon. That would explain the sudden indifference towards Goff with the media.
And when Harden was in Houston he and Watson were best friends. Harden just did exactly what Watson is doing to get himself to New York who also has a shit ton more draft capital and cap space than we do and could facilitate a trade much easier. There's always a counter point.

Just want to clarify one thing because people get an opinion about me then let it go to extremes. In case anybody didn't know I'm a Clemson fan and Watson is my 2nd favorite QB in the league. The first being whoever is the QB for the Rams. I don't like what the Rams are doing in this offseason with their messaging and I never will think this is a good way to do business. I don't think signing people to these top end contracts and continually jettisoning the player and accruing all this dead cap is a good way to do business. I think players forcing their ways out of teams by throwing a tantrum is a shitty way to do business and go about life. All that said if they get Watson I'd be ecstatic. I can separate the different aspects of this and move on. Some people like to see a person take a stance on something and attack them in very silly ways. I don't need a hug I'm not crying I'm not pissed off I just don't like some things that are going on.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I remember people on this very board calling him a "pussy" this season.

Well that's dumb and totally wrong. NO two ways about it. Edit: Not you, those who called Goff any name questioning his toughness. Beyond absurd.

I really like Goff. I just like Watson's skill set with McVay's offense that much more.

But outside of Watson, I don't trade Goff for anyone.

I think once we get down to Snead's smirk, I think they've worked out a deal in principle and unless someone gives like two full drafts worth of picks... I think they announce it on the first day of the new league year.

I'm at the point where I'll be shocked if they trade him to anywhere else... and I'll be devastated if the 9ers somehow swoop in and get him. There's "tough division" and there's "our division is a woodchipper..."

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm at the point where I'll be shocked if they trade him to anywhere else... and I'll be devastated if the 9ers somehow swoop in and get him. There's "tough division" and there's "our division is a woodchipper..."
I just get the feeling that they'll battle the Pats for Stafford.

HellRam

Starter
Their OL isn't great and they have no running game even as teams stack light boxes on them.

Watson with our running game and our defense will be an absolute SLAYER!

Our running game is better. We'll see how the defense does. They should be top 10 still I would pressume as of now. But we dont have the receivers to stretch the field like Houston has had over the years though.

We'd definitely see what McVay is truly made of. Watson would be his guy he brought in.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just get the feeling that they'll battle the Pats for Stafford.
Out of all the QB moves, I think Stanford to The Colts is almost guaranteed. They would definitely jump to one of the favorites with him slinging the ball there.

All JMO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Out of all the QB moves, I think Stanford to The Colts is almost guaranteed. They would definitely jump to one of the favorites with him slinging the ball there.

All JMO
Think they'd be better with Jared and us with Watson but yeah if they don't get Jared Watson or Wentz I see them going hard for Stafford.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think they'd be better with Jared and us with Watson but yeah if they don't get Jared Watson or Wentz I see them going hard for Stafford.
Jared would play well there. Blocking, WRs, RBs and coach would all be on his side. Plus, it’s a dome.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
And when Harden was in Houston he and Watson were best friends. Harden just did exactly what Watson is doing to get himself to New York who also has a shit ton more draft capital and cap space than we do and could facilitate a trade much easier. There's always a counter point.

Just want to clarify one thing because people get an opinion about me then let it go to extremes. In case anybody didn't know I'm a Clemson fan and Watson is my 2nd favorite QB in the league. The first being whoever is the QB for the Rams. I don't like what the Rams are doing in this offseason with their messaging and I never will think this is a good way to do business. I don't think signing people to these top end contracts and continually jettisoning the player and accruing all this dead cap is a good way to do business. I think players forcing their ways out of teams by throwing a tantrum is a shitty way to do business and go about life. All that said if they get Watson I'd be ecstatic. I can separate the different aspects of this and move on. Some people like to see a person take a stance on something and attack them in very silly ways. I don't need a hug I'm not crying I'm not pissed off I just don't like some things that are going on.

Mostly I agree.

Here's where we part... and I keep seeing this being said and it's so damn wrong it drives me crazy.

Watson's trade will have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with any team's "draft picks".

Of the four worst ownership groups in the NFL, you have Houston, NYJ, Miami and Washington.

Why would Watson leave one dumpster fire for another? Because of Robert Saleh or Brian Flores had a good year? Watson's issues weren't with coaches, but with ownership. Remember, this was only an upset because of BOB trading away Hopkins, but when ownership completely disrespected him this off-season, that was what did it.

David Mulugheta is one of if not the most prolific and powerful agents in football. He knows the issues around the league.

The Rams are a QB away from winning it all. I say that respecting Goff greatly, but if we get even near the offensive output from Watson as he put out in Houston with our run game and our defense, we're winning it all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All JMO

I'd bet on the 49ers acquiring Stafford.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ve been thinking all along that a swap of AD for Deshaun Watson is within the realm of possibility.

AD is a couple months shy of hitting 30. Yes, he is one of the greatest players of all time, but he’s played 7 full seasons already, and at some point he will start to slow down.

A franchise DT for a franchise QB?

I know the mere mention of trading AD is heresy for many on this board.

But fuck it, I’ll be honest. Which would I rather build around for the Rams future, an almost-30 y-o HOF defensive tackle, or a 25-y-o TRUE franchise QB?

I’d take the QB. Led the league with 4,800 passing yards, over 70 percent completion rate, 33 TDS to only 7 INT, championship pedigree, can extend plays with the run... he’s got everything!! And pairing this guy with McVay?!? Yes, please. Whatever it takes.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLb0bMpkLk

The reason this won’t happen... it also negates the positive bump you get if you landed Watson.

Look at the reception the mention of trading Donald gets... so immediately half the fanbase puts Watson and everyone on a really high pillar.

Always comparing what was. Never happy, really. Every interception a reminder.

So it would be a bad trade, even if you are correct from a trade value perspective.

TexasRam

Legend
Appreciate it but I don't care about shoutouts. I throw so much shit out there that some of it will inevitably stick. :biggrin:

And re: what is coming IMO that has been staring the NFL in the face for a while now. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet these contracts are stupid man. I just cannot get my head around paying QBs that much of the cap. It feels bad to me always has.

What has driven the QB market is guys who have mastered modern offenses. But there's only a handful of guys who really have mastered it and a bunch of dudes who are riding their coattails IMO. The thing I'm most angry about with the Rams right now is that they paid Goff early. Not sure what would have happened if they told him he was gonna have to wait though that might have been uglier than this shit lol.
I hear what you are saying regarding the early contracts but if only 20/20 hindsight right? I mean we could have went the Dallas route and not paid a QB only to see him lead a top offense for two years. Given, Dak had an incredible supporting cast when he lead the league (WR's and Oline were stacked) but now Ol' Jerry is in a pickle. He is now going to have to really pony up a massive contract that could be off the charts compared to the value he could have got Dak at. Actually in reality, with the cap drop it more evens out but you get the idea I am sure.

But I do get the point about taking a different approach to the massive QB contracts. It seems almost unavoidable though. It takes a QB usually several years to really learn an offense and get it to the big game. Look at Lamar, Allen Mayfeild and even Mahomes, 3-4 years minimum on average. Even then you are dealing with the Bradys, Rodgers and Brees because that playoff experience can start to matter.

The NFL has never worked well for the heavy running types or QB run heavy offenses. The accurate pocket passers and pocket passers that could also scramble a little have feasted.

Though if I think anyone would try to buck the trend by doing it a little different it would be Mcvay.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, actually, they had been asked about Bradford and his future with the Rams before that trade. Remember he was coming off of two seasons of torn ACLs. Both Fisher and Snead assured everybody that Bradford was our QB going forward pretty much until the time he got traded (and I still remember how salty Jim Thomas of the Post Dispatch was about being lied to by them).

I think what they are doing now - publicly giving Goff a vote of no confidence - is much worse. I weakens their negotiating position if they want to trade him and poisons the well with him if somehow they can't and have to keep him for another season. It would have been much smarter to keep the negative comments behind closed doors and publicly state confidence in him even if they were planning on trading him.

Ultimately McVay has given me no reason to doubt him, so I trust what he's doing.

Every coach is different and I'd prefer that McVay do nothing the way Fisher did.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I’ve been thinking all along that a swap of AD for Deshaun Watson is within the realm of possibility.

AD is a couple months shy of hitting 30. Yes, he is one of the greatest players of all time, but he’s played 7 full seasons already, and at some point he will start to slow down.

A franchise DT for a franchise QB?

I know the mere mention of trading AD is heresy for many on this board.

But fuck it, I’ll be honest. Which would I rather build around for the Rams future, an almost-30 y-o HOF defensive tackle, or a 25-y-o TRUE franchise QB?

I’d take the QB. Led the league with 4,800 passing yards, over 70 percent completion rate, 33 TDS to only 7 INT, championship pedigree, can extend plays with the run... he’s got everything!! And pairing this guy with McVay?!? Yes, please. Whatever it takes.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLb0bMpkLk

Merlin Olsen made 14 consecutive Pro Bowls at basically the same position...AD is only halfway there

Psycho_X

Legend
This could have to do with anything but since everyone will think it’s about Watson I’ll put it here lol.

View: https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1355108125024661504?s=21

lol he deleted it. Well I took a picture since Twitter was still open on my phone.

9C84659C-086A-4174-A7F2-98BC5F097E52.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd bet on the 49ers acquiring Stafford.
I really hope you’re right.
Garropolo gets a ton of shit from us here playing for the hated 9ers, and a lot of it is deserved. But I have to say, when 100% healthy, I am much more afraid of Jimmy G under center than I would ever be with Stafford. Thanks to Sunday Ticket, Fantasy Football and the Rams sucking for a decade, I sure got to see my share of Stafford in his “prime”. And while fun to watch at times, he was nothing more than a volume passer, who if given 45-50 attempts would get on a roll at some point, even if down by 20. But never saw a guy who could handle the game manager type situation where he doesn’t get 3 throws to get 1st down, he gets 1.
That’s what I love about Goff. And where I don’t think he gets enough (maybe any) credit. He’s made so many subtle chain mover plays in game manager mode. And when he gets to play the volume game he’s much better than Stafford ever was

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Why would Watson leave one dumpster fire for another? Because of Robert Saleh or Brian Flores had a good year? Watson's issues weren't with coaches, but with ownership. Remember, this was only an upset because of BOB trading away Hopkins, but when ownership completely disrespected him this off-season, that was what did it.

Well I'm not entirely too sure about that.

Jack Easterby was brought in April 2019 and promoted January 2020.

Laremy Tunsil was traded for in 2019 (which I think was a lot more stupid than the Deandre Hopkins trade).

BOB's issues during the 2019 season. Losing to the Chiefs the way they did in the playoffs.

Deandre Hopkins was traded in March 2020, which pretty much made the entire NFL world hate on BOB for except for the Cardinals.

Cal Mcnair has always been there. And you throw in the Duane Brown situation, too.

Deshaun signed his extension in September 2020. He fully knew that he was signing on a team with Emperor BOB and the Cal/Jack tag team. He also knew that Nick Caserio was their GM of choice (remember the whole tampering thing with NE). He knew what he was getting into and still chose to sign with a no-trade clause. Yes, I know they exercised a 5th year option (duh) and of course there's the possibility of just wanting to get his guaranteed money.

The entire situation in HOU is a circus. I'm not given ownership or the FO a pass, but Deshaun shouldn't have that much say in this matter either. When was the last time a player had that much influence in FO or coach hires? Certainly not enough to demand a trade after they don't listen to him.