Deshaun Watson Sexual Assault Allegation(s) Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As they should be, it's a nice change. You have to let things play out in court.

I totally agree here and have been shocked most have stayed away from this, let's see how this plays out in court without rushing to judgment and it's been refreshing the organization has kept silent too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t want you to be sad.
I just want you to understand me
200.gif

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fair enough.

My choice of words ("ESPN and the NFLN ... should acknowledge it.") was poor and inaccurate.

My original point was one of extremes in coverage.

As I stated in my first sentence, I love to follow the NFL off-season. Spend more time doing that than following the MLB and NBA seasons combined. Accordingly, I watch a ton of ESPN and NFLN.

Prior to the claims against Watson, the possibility of a Watson-trade dominated the coverage. It was too much ... one extreme.

The same networks now hardly mention the civil claim. It looks bad ... the opposite extreme.

By-the-way, I ate an apple and it was delicious!

The networks have mentioned the civil claim. But, apparently not enough to appease some.
As mentioned earlier, the criminal filing occurred right before a Holiday weekend.

Any comparison to the coverage of this issue and the trade speculation seems rather silly to me.

For one, the trade speculation started right before and continued after the Super Bowl where there is a dead period of NFL news for the non participating teams. The civil case news came out close to the start of the new league year where there's salary cap moves, NFL free agency and trades. Plus, there were Pro Days left and right which are leading up to the NFL draft (Not to mention baseball's Spring training and NCAA's March Madness).

Secondly, while some might disagree, it seems to me that most of the NFL fanbase care FAR more about their teams on the field than anything the players do off the field if it doesn't personally effect them. Positive or negative. (On a side note, I notice that there is no righteous indignation regarding the coverage of anything positive these guys do).

Finally, what else is there to report before the court cases start?
Should they track down the accusers and screw up their cases?
Should they show themselves knocking on Watson's door looking a comment?
Should they come up with lies and conspiracy theories the like Cable New networks?

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The networks have mentioned the civil claim. But, apparently not enough to appease some.

Any comparison to the coverage of this issue and the trade speculation seems rather silly to me.

For one, the trade speculation started right before and continued after the Super Bowl where there is a dead period of NFL news for the non participating teams. The civil case news came out close to the start of the new league year where there's salary cap moves, NFL free agency and trades. Plus, there were Pro Days left and right which are leading up to the NFL draft (Not to mention baseball's Spring training and NCAA's March Madness).

Secondly, while some might disagree, it seems to me that most of the NFL fanbase care FAR more about their teams on the field than anything the players do off the field if it doesn't personally effect them. Positive or negative. (On a side note, I notice that there is no righteous indignation regarding the coverage of anything positive these guys do).

Finally, what else is there to report before the court cases start?
Should they track down the accusers and screw up their cases?
Should they show themselves knocking on Watson's door looking a comment?
Should they come up with lies and conspiracy theories the like Cable New networks?

OK ... just don’t be sad.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
True but these sports networks are not reporting new charges or statements by reps from either side.

They are avoiding the story because it’s negative.

By comparison, I heard 4,000 trade scenarios from a dozen personalities on the same sports networks; and, with Houston not pursuing a trade, there really was nothing to report there either. It was just speculation but it was fun and positive.

They've reported on it since it started. Every day (it seems) there's new accusations and usually somewhere in the "top of the hour" reports, it's "2 new accusations against Deshawn Watson". So they don't have the details and can't elaborate on the new accusations. But they keep a running tab....."it's up to 14......16......18" etc. It beats them making something up to report. He's been accused. Now someone has filed a criminal complaint. The lawyer representing these women won't release any evidence or information. Pretty hard to get a story out of that beyond what they've already reported. It's our job to speculate and suppose and imagine what the ramifications are going to be. :cool:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Posted by Mike Florio

274e0e5fc063f21d3d8badca97e27c5a.gif

For someone who has a dream job that relies on the NFL for content, seems like Foolio really wants the league to fuck themselves just so he can hammer out a "gotcha" article. Whether its this, COVID, CBA, whatever. Never happens, though and Foolio looks more like dolt than he already is.

Tano

Legend
I always hear people complain about the news and how they always push the negative stories, and then when they stop, they complain about not pushing the negative stories.
I have never complained about the news stop pushing the negative. I am always against the media on whatever they say because they report things as fact before the facts are even known.

It pisses me off. Let's do actual media research before stating things.

Like the guy who saved thousands of people from the Atlanta Olympic bombing and then was crucified by the media as actually planting the bomb because he fit the profile of being a bomber by the FBI. Whatever happened to presumed innocent until proven guilty concept.

That has gone by the wayside.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care anymore. When they talk about a conviction or not, I'll pay attention again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of pulling people down before they are found guilty. So in that respect I am fine with how the NFL has handled things.

But I also agree the media has sort of gone taboo with him. Sexual assault should be discussed. It's out there. Truth is in the middle again here IMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of pulling people down before they are found guilty. So in that respect I am fine with how the NFL has handled things.

But I also agree the media has sort of gone taboo with him. Sexual assault should be discussed. It's out there. Truth is in the middle again here IMO.
Watson homer

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I have never complained about the news stop pushing the negative. I am always against the media on whatever they say because they report things as fact before the facts are even known.

It pisses me off. Let's do actual media research before stating things.

Like the guy who saved thousands of people from the Atlanta Olympic bombing and then was crucified by the media as actually planting the bomb because he fit the profile of being a bomber by the FBI. Whatever happened to presumed innocent until proven guilty concept.

That has gone by the wayside.

Yes...the media posts the negative aspect instead of the truth. Not sure where you're going with this, but my post wasnt neccesarily pointed at you. It's just an observation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
ESPN should keep their input into this case and all legal matters to a minimum. They are not a news station. They are a sports news station. They got far too involved and sensationalized non sports news in the past and the botched it up. Stick to sports, cover it lightly and let the regular news stations that cover criminal events focus on it.

Ditto for NFL Network. Do what you do best or what the entire network is geared to cover.

Oh, and Florio is a douche and his opinion is wrong more than it’s right.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If they did decide to comment the marxist wokeism and cancel culture would come after them, which wouldn't end well.

Yes, because in an alternative universe it's only the seditionist fascists which are deserving of free speech rights guaranteed under our Constitution.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Merging this Topic into the Deshaun Watson Allegations Thread.

Let's try to keep this on track, please.

Tano

Legend
Yes...the media posts the negative aspect instead of the truth. Not sure where you're going with this, but my post wasnt neccesarily pointed at you. It's just an observation.
It was more of a response to your statement than you accusing anyone.

It is how I have come to really dislike the media and I distrust anything they say anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.