Deshaun Watson Sexual Assault Allegation(s) Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Both Watson and his accuser deserve their day in court.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I love the NFL and follow it more in its off-season than I do MLB and the NBA combined but that does not mean NFL coverage is beyond criticism.

Watson’s trade demand was THE off-season-story before these civil complaints were filed.

Before these charges, ESPN and the NFL Network coverage was dominated by the possibility of Watson being traded. Since the civil charges, the same media sources have reported the bare minimum on Watson.

I get that there is only so much that can be said on a topic or issue but it works both ways. When it was a positive-NFL story (potential trade of a star player), there was too much coverage and analysis. When it became a negative-NFL story (the same star player might be a predator), there is far too little coverage.

The NFL will, of course, protect its brand. However, this is the NFL dominated sports media doing the same. I don’t enjoy reading the Watson story but these media outlets don’t look good failing to report it properly.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nothing to report really in terms of discipline yet.
True but these sports networks are not reporting new charges or statements by reps from either side.

They are avoiding the story because it’s negative.

By comparison, I heard 4,000 trade scenarios from a dozen personalities on the same sports networks; and, with Houston not pursuing a trade, there really was nothing to report there either. It was just speculation but it was fun and positive.

fearsomefour

Legend
True but these sports networks are not reporting new charges or statements by reps from either side.

They are avoiding the story because it’s negative.

By comparison, I heard 4,000 trade scenarios from a dozen personalities on the same sports networks; and, with Houston not pursuing a trade, there really was nothing to report there either. It was just speculation but it was fun and positive.
Well, we live in an age when reporting on the news is half bullshit spin anyway.
That’s “regular” news.....sports news will be even more vapid and nonsensical.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
The media is like this with all stories.....Politics and Sports.....if it doesn't fit their narrative they don't report it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well, we live in an age when reporting on the news is half bullshit spin anyway.
That’s “regular” news.....sports news will be even more vapid and nonsensical.
I agree.
Maybe that’s why I am a little sensitive to this topic. I think the truth and facts are out there, and should be recognized from the bullshit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As they should be, it's a nice change. You have to let things play out in court.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Curious at best. Selective justice these days.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I get the criticism of not reporting the bad as much as the good... Kinda.... But in a world where media leads with what bleeds, I am ok with silence... Especially when so many lives are at stake. Let's not push agenda either way please. Let the facts speak for themselves.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
NFL Silence ?
If that isn't media muckraking, i'm not sure what is.
This complaint was filed on Friday, who knows if the complete text was even on Goodell's desk yesterday. And someone please remind me, isn't this the Easter weekend when many families travel to be with friends and family ?
I'm not really much of a Goodell fan, but how about waiting until the end of tomorrows workday to see if the NFL has a response ?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard 4,000 trade scenarios from a dozen personalities on the same sports networks

you listened to idiots sharing their stupid trade proposals that will never happen? oh man you're a glutton for punishment.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
Maybe that’s why I am a little sensitive to this topic. I think the truth and facts are out there, and should be recognized from the bullshit.
Apples to oranges though.
Speculation on a major trade? No downside if the speculation is incorrect.
Media needs to be very careful here, this isn’t a Ray Rice situation where the “proof” is right in the open.
If anything, they are skirting with inference of guilt when they “report” about the number of anonymous claims.
The Duke lacrosse team scandal should be enough of a lesson for media to adhere to innocent until proven guilty

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Now I want an apple.

ESPN and the NFLN does not need to report the Watson civil suit in any detail. However, they should acknowledge it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now I want an apple.

ESPN and the NFLN does not need to report the Watson civil suit in any detail. However, they should acknowledge it.
??

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
??

Fair enough.

My choice of words ("ESPN and the NFLN ... should acknowledge it.") was poor and inaccurate.

My original point was one of extremes in coverage.

As I stated in my first sentence, I love to follow the NFL off-season. Spend more time doing that than following the MLB and NBA seasons combined. Accordingly, I watch a ton of ESPN and NFLN.

Prior to the claims against Watson, the possibility of a Watson-trade dominated the coverage. It was too much ... one extreme.

The same networks now hardly mention the civil claim. It looks bad ... the opposite extreme.

By-the-way, I ate an apple and it was delicious!

TexasRam

Legend
I have no problem with them staying out.

If they did decide to comment the marxist wokeism and cancel culture would come after them, which wouldn't end well.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I always hear people complain about the news and how they always push the negative stories, and then when they stop, they complain about not pushing the negative stories.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prior to the claims against Watson, the possibility of a Watson-trade dominated the coverage. It was too much ... one extreme.

The same networks now hardly mention the civil claim. It looks bad ... the opposite extreme.
Well, I guess I find it sad you cant tell the difference between the two, the coverage is exactly the same. The difference is that one is merely sports fodder where every self appointed sports journalist can post their opinion, speculation, "inside info" etc with complete impunity. The other? A ticking time bomb with legal, political and societal complications/implications.
Your issue isnt with the NFL, or ESPN etc, they are reporting the information that can be announced. What isnt happening are all the "scoops" trying to be "first" and the mad rush of media/social media regurgitating the same info.

Status
Not open for further replies.