DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you totally forgotten about a little thing called the salary cap? Owners wealth and all means nothing here. It’s solely a proper usage of the limited cap space. Of which, this blows. Especially factoring in our need along the iOL. Just a bad contract
Were they under the salary cap before he signed this deal?
Rams are paying 30 million for players not even on the team but wanna complain about paying a guy a mill or 2 more than they think he's worth? Good grief

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are paying 30 million for players not even on the team but wanna complain about paying a guy a mill or 2 more than they think he's worth? Good grief
Personally I’m complaining about both but I’m an asshole like that.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
His contract is not preventing them from getting any other players. Cmon now....
It's a terrible amount to pay someone with his injury history. If you compare it to Marvin Jones getting a one year deal for 7 mil, yes it's terrible negotiating. Extra bubble wrap that man cuz if he gets hurt, which I'm hoping doesn't happen, damn.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Don't remind us of that horrible amount either man, it hurts lol.....ah well, to good health I guess

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair they're letting guys walk that they don't think they need. That's a big difference. Like not paying Johnson because you feel like schematic wise you can get around it or you have the player to replace them is one thing. But this is a straight up overpay no matter how we look at it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If they wanted one, this contract isnt what prevented them from getting one of them
We don’t know that for sure. We have no way of knowing if they were in negotiations on Linley or Hudson and couldn’t beat the offers they got because they knew they had other holes to fill.

Obviously they didn’t sign them so either they didn’t want them or didn’t want them bad enough.

I do know they had a choice with plenty of cash for Jackson and they paid him too much based on his history.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah not thrilled with that deal. I was thinking 2.5 base at max, w/ incentives.

We will just have to see if it pays off or not.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I’m very disappointed.

The only way I could justify in my mind signing the oft-injured DJ was if he would be very inexpensive.

But now? Too much money for too much health risk.

I thought the Rams were smarter than that.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I was talking to a buddy about this the other day... It seems like we look at a signing and think "Wow! Team A got a great deal! A steal if you think about it!" Meanwhile the Rams, as contenders, ALWAYS overpay.. ALWAYS. There's no reason why we're paying DJax more then $2mil. If a other team wanted to pay him that, fuckin go ahead!

With that said, and with me thinking we got robbed, I sure as hell hope for positive health and a great season.

But, fuck man.. highway robbery.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Lol we must be overpaying for California taxes at this point.
You know, you might be on to something here! California has what I consider the highest taxed state of any NFL state. I could be wrong, someone could google that if they like for clarification.

But, It can come into play with a savvy agent who says pay extra to offset the amount of taxes he is going to have to pay for 9 regular season games (8 home games and the other one is San Francisco away).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don’t know that for sure.
Yes, we do.
They signed Jackson this week, those other guys signed 10 days ago. If they were in on Linsley, they surely didnt back down because they knew they needed that extra 4 mill to sign DJax...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Folks are clamoring for a deep threat, the Rams sign one, then its complaining about how much it cost.
Good grief. Golladay is getting 18 mill and he played in the same number of games as Djax last season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair they're letting guys walk that they don't think they need. That's a big difference. Like not paying Johnson because you feel like schematic wise you can get around it or you have the player to replace them is one thing. But this is a straight up overpay no matter how we look at it.
And whatever Djax is getting paid is not the difference between keeping any of the guys who they let walk.
Heck, I hope Djax earns the full 6+ mill, that means he performed well

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams gave DeSean Jackson way more than expected - Turf Show Times
The Rams gave DeSean Jackson way more than expected
By Kenneth Arthur
Philadelphia Eagles v Dallas Cowboys
Photo by
When it was announced that the Los Angeles Rams were signing DeSean Jackson, it was expected to be a modest contract by today’s standards. Maybe at most he’d get the same $3.5 million that A.J. Green got from the Arizona Cardinals, or the $3 million that the Detroit Lions gave to Tyrell Wlliams, or the $1.8 million that John Ross signed for with the New York Giants.

On Thursday, Mike Garafolo reported that the Rams gave Jackson a one-year contract with a base value of $4.5 million and incentives that could take it up to $6.25 million.

If DeSean Jackson hadn’t been injured last year and was productive enough to rank in the top-70 of receiving yards, he would have been the oldest player in that group at age 34. Only Emmanuel Sanders even comes within a year of him.

Jackson has played in eight games over the last two years, catching 23 passes for 395 yards and three touchdowns with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Garafolo did not report how much of the deal was guaranteed. Jackson is set to take in almost as much cash in 2021 as Marvin Jones, Matthew Stafford’s former Lions teammate who signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a two-year deal. Jones’s 2021 cap hit is $4.2 million.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
When it was announced that the Los Angeles Rams were signing DeSean Jackson, it was expected to be a modest contract by today’s standards. Maybe at most he’d get the same $3.5 million that A.J. Green got from the Arizona Cardinals, or the $3 million that the Detroit Lions gave to Tyrell Wlliams, or the $1.8 million that John Ross signed for with the New York Giants.

Garafolo did not report how much of the deal was guaranteed. Jackson is set to take in almost as much cash in 2021 as Marvin Jones, Matthew Stafford’s former Lions teammate who signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a two-year deal. Jones’s 2021 cap hit is $4.2 million.

I agree, I expected it to be a lot lower. But he provides something the Rams didn't have and need. Deep speed. AJ Green couldn't outrun many of us. Ross had 1 good half year. Williams definitely got underpaid by the Lions though. Like Dieterbrock said, if he earns the 6 mil, it'll be worth it. Hell, if he doesn't and still provides the Rams with a deep threat (which usually occupies 2 DBs) it's worth it.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I agree, I expected it to be a lot lower. But he provides something the Rams didn't have and need. Deep speed. AJ Green couldn't outrun many of us. Ross had 1 good half year. Williams definitely got underpaid by the Lions though. Like Dieterbrock said, if he earns the 6 mil, it'll be worth it. Hell, if he doesn't and still provides the Rams with a deep threat (which usually occupies 2 DBs) it's worth it.
You know what else we don’t have - a center, solid iLBs, Edge depth, DL depth, Backup TE, etc. Yet we spend $4.5m+ on a 35 yr old, oft injured, questionable character deep threat toy.
We already have two of the highest priced WRs and a top WR pick from last year. Yeah that seems smart.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eagles fan comment of the year.

Last season DeSean was injured in week 3. He missed 3 games and returned in week 7. During his first game back he was injured again. He missed 7 games. During his first game back he injured himself celebrating a touchdown. He had to sit out the final game.

2019 & 2020 combined receiving stats:

8 games

23 receptions

395 yards

3 touchdowns

He was amazing in his prime, but now he’s finished.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I guess like most moves it's a wait and see. As of now I do think it's an overpay buy we will see how the season goes.

That said that 2 million extra almost covers if not totally covers an Aldon Smith.

Let's face it DJax was begging to come home. Anyone think he had other offers and o es that were even close?