DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

btfd16

Rookie
In his 13 years in the NFL, Desean Jackson has played in 16 games... twice.

also, no one should have to clarify they want him to get his incentives. Lol we obviously all want him to do well. No one actively roots against their team just so they can be right

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless he earns out. Were we going to draft a NFL ready speedster? I'd guess no.

You watch the draft classes much more than I. Is there someone that would crack the line up at our draft positions?

Seems like a fairly low risk, high reward kind of contract.

You have a risk of injury - certainly. But you also have a guy that knows the position, is coming home to play in front of HIS city, wasn't really in a good situation in Philly, and has a QB with an absolute rifle of an arm. He also may not be a real injury risk as most might be from training staff, the situation he was in... It may make a difference and it may mean nothing.

I personally think it's a decent risk.
What people who are criticizing those of us that think it's too much money (and not referring to you) fail to acknowledge is that every one of us would be ecstatic if he actually earns every last dirty penny of Stan's money and there's no way of denying that.

But most everybody that doesn't like this deal thinks the same thing. He can't stay healthy he hasn't been healthy for several years and the roster spot and the money could have gone to another free agent that has a better chance of improving the Rams. Looking at Jackson's past 8 years there's no reason to think he'll be a big contributor to the Rams. If we do draft a speedy WR as you asked Jackson will only stand in his way getting practice reps.

But it is what it is and we'll have to deal with it.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Kind of couched to elicit a response so....

Roll over? No. Think the sky is falling? No.

But denying the success does boggle my mind. With very few exceptions, every team has bad moves.

But I appreciate your flippant attitude.

You think a .657 career winning percentage, a SB appearance, and a Coach of The Year award is supposed to mean something pal? Think again...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

also, no one should have to clarify they want him to get his incentives. Lol we obviously all want him to do well. No one actively roots against their team just so they can be right
Oh no some people actually think we'd root against the Rams if Jackson was doing good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless he earns out. Were we going to draft a NFL ready speedster? I'd guess no.

You watch the draft classes much more than I. Is there someone that would crack the line up at our draft positions?

Seems like a fairly low risk, high reward kind of contract.

You have a risk of injury - certainly. But you also have a guy that knows the position, is coming home to play in front of HIS city, wasn't really in a good situation in Philly, and has a QB with an absolute rifle of an arm. He also may not be a real injury risk as most might be from training staff, the situation he was in... It may make a difference and it may mean nothing.

I personally think it's a decent risk.

I think D'Wayne Eskridge could.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Wow has this fan base become cynical, haha. Haters are everywhere hating on almost anything they can hate on..... While this team is in literally its best 4 year stretch since the 80s...maybe even the 70s. Comical.
Not hating, just don't want to overpay and guarantee this guy money without earning it. Good news is it is incentive laced based on his availability, which makes this a much better signing and contract. Don't know what this signing has to do with last 4 years of winning tho. I'm definitely appreciative of that.

Ellard80

Legend
I

I mean... does 4 year success equate to accepting continuous poor contracts? Are we supposed to just roll over and let them pet our bellies because we won a couple games?

No need to comment boys! Happiness only we’ve had a good four years! Shut the forum down we’re good here.

This is a rookie post if i ever saw one.

When i was watching the rams suck for a good part of neary two decades i could give a fuck about overpaying someone 2 million.

"won a couple games" SMH

Ellard80

Legend
hopefully people are in his ear saying that he is overpaid and not worth the money.. that he can't stay healthy.

maybe it will light a fire under his skirt.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Okay, more in line with the $2-2.5M base I was expecting. Still a little high, but if he hits the incentives then he will bring a lot to the offense with just his presence as a deep threat.
I agree with you. Would I rather have gone after Tyrell Williams at this price range? Yes, but regardless of what I wanted the Rams went towards DJ. I'm rooting for him to stay healthy and happy that a good chunk of his contract is incentive based on his availability since that is his biggest question mark.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a rookie post if i ever saw one.

When i was watching the rams suck for a good part of neary two decades i could give a fuck about overpaying someone 2 million.

"won a couple games" SMH
Unfortunately if a poster thinks the Rams could have been run better which would have resulted in more success the last 2 years you're insulted. It's that kind of attitude leading to people posting in your rookie status. The issue is as fans we're actually allowed to think that 2 million or the 16 million for Floyd or the 38 million in dead cap could have been used to improve the team in better ways.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
22 pages about a #3 or #4 receiver......

qPTWXU5.gif

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I know I post a lot lol, but I personally like hearing everyone's take regardless of what it is. I'd like to add no matter whether we disagree or agree, I'm always rooting for our Rams to kick ass every year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

And Robert Woods in an 8 yr career played 16 games only 3 times.

Granted Jackson is older & more injury prone, but his cap hit is a 5th of Wood's and has zero impact on the future cap.

Relax, he is a low risk high reward signing that they are gambling on, but have to due to lack of high picks in the draft and lack of cap room.

Ellard80

Legend
Unfortunately if a poster thinks the Rams could have been run better which would have resulted in more success the last 2 years you're insulted. It's that kind of attitude leading to people posting in your rookie status. The issue is as fans we're actually allowed to think that 2 million or the 16 million for Floyd or the 38 million in dead cap could have been used to improve the team in better ways.

Oh I find this ironic.. because if you didnt agree with him its the kind of negative.. snarky post that denigrates success that you would come in slamming your chalice on in the past....

And gotten 20 likes on it.

But yeah you agree with him so its a "sound" post...

I understand people thinking we paid Jackson too much... that's not really what my reaction is to.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Folks are clamoring for a deep threat, the Rams sign one, then its complaining about how much it cost.
Good grief. Golladay is getting 18 mill and he played in the same number of games as Djax last season.

The real point is that, without a deep threat, the Rams O is at risk of being reduced to a short pass possession game. Remember McVay talking about the need for "explosives" instead of lengthy possession drives?

Having the ability to open up the field imo is critical to the success of both Stafford and McVay. It will enable their strengths as a playmaker and play designer who can again make Ds defend "every blade of grass" as McVay used to say.

Jackson was the deep threat who was available, who McVay wanted, and who we could afford.

The money just doesn't matter compared to whether the offense actually works.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The real point is that, without a deep threat, the Rams O is at risk of being reduced to a short pass possession game. Remember McVay talking about the need for "explosives" instead of lengthy possession drives?

Having the ability to open up the field imo is critical to the success of both Stafford and McVay. It will enable their strengths as a playmaker and play designer who can again make Ds defend "every blade of grass" as McVay used to say.

Jackson was the deep threat who was available, who McVay wanted, and who we could afford.

The money just doesn't matter compared to whether the offense actually works.
Oh I agree with every part of what you said except the money doesn't matter. The money always matters because if we had guaranteed that whole contract vs what it is now and he got hurt early on or often, that would literally be one of the shittiest (if that's a word) signings of the off-season. Just happy that he has to earn that money by his availability. Makes a huge difference risk wise from a financial aspect.