Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Not sure if anyone can replace him ... Taylor? is he ready?
Probably not, I guess you work him in here and there, but it is run what you brung time. I think we may see a slight adjustment in scheme, not sure what or how though! I like what I am seeing from Lake though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The scary part is that Fuller is supposed to have a high football IQ. He was a captain of the defense at one time. Plus he's the leader of the young DBs. I hope they upgrade his spot this year, but he gets a lot of respect for his ability to lead.

The coaches may not trust a new guy in his place. He's been referred to as the glue of the secondary.

I've never been impressed with his play from a fans point of view. Its hard to see the intangibles. All I've ever seen is a safety that makes some mistakes every game, and lacks the physical ability to make up for them. He'd be better as a box safety.

The Rams need a safety upgrade, preferably one with a lot of speed. At this point, I'm wondering if a top safety talent helps these corners more than a highly drafted corner can help the safeties.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I like what I am seeing from Lake though.
Lake, though, is playing the star ... and with Durant starting at FC he's not available to play star ... so that means Johnson and Fuller at safety.

Yeast, who is not the money backer ... could go back to him, I guess. Not sure that is a solution.

Despite what one dude says, Fuller "knows how to play safety" but he's not shown great on film. Even so, without knowing exactly the calls not sure we can dump too much on him.

Others can feel however they want to but for me --- this is not a complete team. They are better than I thought they'd be..and that is great. But this was a rebuild year and won't have a team, IMO, that can make a real run until next year. To me this is a great overachieving year that sets the table for next year--- another Fa period, another draft, another year of experience for this year's rookies.

So, if there are still some warts on thioe 2023 team , it's built into my expectations. I think Rams are planning for the future by talking Taylor and see him as a starter as soon as next year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think any of our DBs are "terrible".
I think they are all average talents trying to cover WRs with very little pressure on the QB for long stretches in nearly every game this season. Considering we lack any difference makers, and considering what has been asked of them, I think the fact this young group has played well enough to keep us in the hunt says they aren't terrible. They are improving young guys playing a very difficult and largely thankless position in an era designed for the QBs to thrive.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
this is not a complete team.
I think we are pretty in line here.
Between the missed time due to injury and overall lack of time on the field along with the 7th round eval (whatever that is good for) I feel like next year is the soonest we will see real contribution from JTll. I will remain cautiously optimistic about his future but would love a versatile field/boundary CB and a Safety with range.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
trying to cover WRs with very little pressure on the QB for long stretches in nearly every game this season.
This certainly has merit, let's hope it galvanizes them a bit. We haven't done them many favors and not like we aren't trying. I see EJ has blitzed more and we have sent safeties too. We just need 1 more guy that can get there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If we use the old model. The Rams had one stud in the defensive backfield. So I'm guessing they value at least one versatile shutdown type like Ramsey was. They also traded for Peters before Ramsey. So, an upgrade is likely in the future at least.

I don't think any of our DBs are "terrible".
I think they are all average talents trying to cover WRs with very little pressure on the QB for long stretches in nearly every game this season. Considering we lack any difference makers, and considering what has been asked of them, I think the fact this young group has played well enough to keep us in the hunt says they aren't terrible. They are improving young guys playing a very difficult and largely thankless position in an era designed for the QBs to thrive.
I'm sure a better pass rush would help. Carr and Howell had far too much time to throw. But plays that the DBs got burned on, were mostly coverage mistakes.

From reading up on pregame reports, I was not expecting either team to have great offensive lines. But the pass rush has been even less effective recently.. Maybe some of the younger guys are hitting a bit of a rookie wall. At 8-7 the Rams have exceeded the 12-13 games college teams play.
Plus the competition is much tougher at this level.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure a better pass rush would help. Carr and Howell had far too much time to throw. But plays that the DBs got burned on, were mostly coverage mistakes.
Yes the rush is a problem. They need to bring in one of these recent castoffs and pray.

Also the secondary needs to focus in and do a bit better. But in their favor they have had a shit rush most of the season.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
There's no "butthurt" supporters. Kendrick is and will be a fully capable starting CB in the NFL.

What does this even mean? Most "pass interferences" compared to who? The "too slow" argument is old and tired. The P.I.'s aren't even related to speed - do you even watch the games?
This didn't age well after tonight, guess I wasn't the only one who didn't see Kendrick as non starter material.

TexasRam

Legend
If we had a badass cover safety with some speed, I do think it will help a ton and make these CB's look much better.

Add a pass rush and more aggressive scheme and it would be night and day different.

Don't get me wrong, I think CB has to be upgraded. But the safety play, especially Fuller has been atrocious.

Witherspoon does make a ton of plays. I wouldn't pay him big money at all. But on the cheap I would roll with him.

Durant might prove himself down the stretch here, we will see. Kendrick, sorry, he can be someone else's problem.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Rams drop Hoecht, replace him with Jones who runs a twist game with Kobie Turner. Rams show cover-2 shell, play Cover-3 with Fuller robber (TRIX call vs TRIPS on opposite side?)

Spoon may have MEG call .. so not true Cover-3, he locks on to #1 weak -Lake matches with #3, the TE and trails nim ...and Fuller is right there to take away that medium crosser and picks it.

I have been asking about these TRIX (robber calls) if this was on it worked. In any case, it's a Cover 2/4 shell look that rotates to Cover-3 match

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1738143473428054288?s=20

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Sometimes the other guy makes a special play ... with a bit of a grab.
This isn't getting beat this is coverage.

Durant has value both outside and as a slot ... he "gets it" -- just has to stay healthy and he'll be good, I think.
2023-12-22_3-49-00.jpg

2023-12-22_3-49-25.jpg

2023-12-22_3-49-25.jpg

2023-12-22_3-50-13.jpg

Hard to do better than this
2023-12-22_3-51-18.jpg

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Maybe, looks like Cover-3 to me rotated out of cover-2 shell--looks like Lake matched with the #2 John Johnson III helping the post/over route ... he can't help everyone. Rams blitzed, so only 4 under, Fuller rotates down from LS---looks like CBs match with outside leverage so they can force both go routes to the outside...man technique.

People have bitched and moaned about Rams not being aggressive. Well, this can happen. Quick strikes. Carr saw matched a high guy on a small guy. small guy is there but loses a physical mismatch.

Bey hey, it was "aggressive" and "tough". And TD that made a drive take no time.

Tradeoffs on everything ... cannot have it every way

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1738153823116390406?s=20

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer

Durant has value both outside and as a slot ... he "gets it" -- just has to stay healthy and he'll be good, I think. View attachment 63121

View attachment 63122

View attachment 63123

View attachment 63124

View attachment 63125
I can't believe that hold wasn't called.

Actually, now I think about it, I can believe it: it would have been a call in our favour, and that rarely happens.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I can't believe that hold wasn't called.

Actually, now I think about it, I can believe it: it would have been a call in our favour, and that rarely happens.
No such thing os OPI anymore. A CB breath on a WR it's a flag.

It's just a fact of life at this point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Durant has value both outside and as a slot ... he "gets it" -- just has to stay healthy and he'll be good, I think. View attachment 63121

View attachment 63122

View attachment 63123

View attachment 63124

View attachment 63125
If the ball was thrown a little sooner, the receiver may not have been successful with the grab and Durant has an interception.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
Durant did get beat on the TD.... but that was the only time I saw him get beat all game.

Witherspoon got fucked because he was playing underneath coverage and Fuller jumped another route.

Nice try tho
You mean like when Fuller jumped the route and DK got beat for the TD last week?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
If the ball was thrown a little sooner, the receiver may not have been successful with the grab and Durant has an interception.
Maybe ... I just think a more physical guy pushed a smaller guy around ... also, to your point, it look like it the ball had not been inside by one foot (or less) it gets knocked down, the receiver, though, had the advantage seeing exactly where the ball was coming down and adjusted. So yeah, a little sooner... ball was a hair shot and a hair inside but that made for a rebound situation and the power forward beat the point guard