Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
You are hilarious. They benched Kendrick, that speaks more volume than anything you can or will say.
It's usually best to never get too attached to any single entity, player or coach. You get into a position to defend positions that are just not going to make you look good. I was told twice (deleted posts) that Kendrick wasn't benched.

I love Kobie Turner, but if he goes through a slump from now through, say a playoff game, I will say it. i am saying it now about Young. Still like the guy but will say he's not as effective in recent weeks as he was early. But that is NOW. next week he may have his breakout game -- a 2 sack 5 pressures gem.

It's like when people get dug in on hate for Morris. It's not that they don't like the results or what his scheme looks like. Those things are reasonable and debatable. But when someone says Morris is stupid and a coward, that makes them look bad. More than bad. And even worse than bad bad.

So love or hate --- just relent. It's the old Jourdan thing, two things can be true at the same time.
1. Maybe Kendrick has been scapegoated too much (recently maybe didn't get deep help)-- like plenty of criticism is warranted but it's over the line
2. Kendricks is someone who needs to be replaced if the Rams are going to make a real run at the Super Bowl next year

It doesn't have to be between a "B" and and "F" for Kendricks. maybe he's a C- and we need at least a B- at that position next year.

But facts are facts. He was benched for the second time this year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It's usually best to never get too attached to any single entity, player or coach. You get into a position to defend positions that are just not going to make you look good. I was told twice (deleted posts) that Kendrick wasn't benched.

I love Kobie Turner, but if he goes through a slump from now through, say a playoff game, I will say it. i am saying it now about Young. Still like the guy but will say he's not as effective in recent weeks as he was early. But that is NOW. next week he may have his breakout game -- a 2 sack 5 pressures gem.

It's like when people get dug in on hate for Morris. It's not that they don't like the results or what his scheme looks like. Those things are reasonable and debatable. But when someone says Morris is stupid and a coward, that makes them look bad. More than bad. And even worse than bad bad.

So love or hate --- just relent. It's the old Jourdan thing, two things can be true at the same time.
1. Maybe Kendrick has been scapegoated too much (recently maybe didn't get deep help)-- like plenty of criticism is warranted but it's over the line
2. Kendricks is someone who needs to be replaced if the Rams are going to make a real run at the Super Bowl next year

It doesn't have to be between a "B" and and "F" for Kendricks. maybe he's a C- and we need at least a B- at that position next year.

But facts are facts. He was benched for the second time this year.
Yeah totally agree with you there. This league is definitely a what have you done for me lately league. I've always been of the thought that the Rams were only starting Kendrick because they had to trim money from the payroll and he was a cheap, young option. In the meantime, just because he's playing, doesn't mean there aren't other players developing in the background. If any player keeps messing up with the same big time mistakes, most coaches would bench that player. It's unfortunate for Kendrick, but I honestly felt he just wasn't starter material (if we had cap to work with) based on his speed and inexperience. He's proven he'd be good depth, but we seriously need to upgrade him and our secondary in general in the future to become much more formidable as a team. Enjoying this season though so far and once we get the off-season (which I'm definitely not thinking about), I'll be excited to see what we have planned and see that plan put into action.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I've always been of the thought that the Rams were only starting Kendrick because they had to trim money from the payroll and he was a cheap, young option. In the meantime, just because he's playing, doesn't mean there aren't other players developing in the background. If any player keeps messing up with the same big time mistakes, most coaches would bench that player. It's unfortunate for Kendrick, but I honestly felt he just wasn't starter material (if we had cap to work with) based on his speed and inexperience.
All fair points.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah totally agree with you there. This league is definitely a what have you done for me lately league. I've always been of the thought that the Rams were only starting Kendrick because they had to trim money from the payroll and he was a cheap, young option. In the meantime, just because he's playing, doesn't mean there aren't other players developing in the background. If any player keeps messing up with the same big time mistakes, most coaches would bench that player. It's unfortunate for Kendrick, but I honestly felt he just wasn't starter material (if we had cap to work with) based on his speed and inexperience. He's proven he'd be good depth, but we seriously need to upgrade him and our secondary in general in the future to become much more formidable as a team. Enjoying this season though so far and once we get the off-season (which I'm definitely not thinking about), I'll be excited to see what we have planned and see that plan put into action.
yep, 2 or maybe 3 new starters needed in the secondary. Spoon is an average boundary CB and Durant and Kendrick aren't ready to play field at anywhere near the level of a contender. Lake is looking good in Star role and JJ is aging and inconsistent. Fuller maybe doing too much but he has been inconsistent too at times. The rest are completely unproven and no accurate determination of their productivity can be made at this time.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
You are hilarious. They benched Kendrick, that speaks more volume than anything you can or will say.

You're missing the point - which is the secondary did no better with Kendrick benched. Changing him out did nothing to improve the end result. All of the CB's on this team are mediocre at this point, with the exception of Lake in the box, who is playing fabulous. The issues go far further into the back end.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
You're missing the point - which is the secondary did no better with Kendrick benched. All of the CB's on this team are mediocre at this point, with the exception of Lake in the box, who is playing fabulous. The issues go far further into the box end.
I'm not missing any point. You're trying to justify Kendrick being a starter by pointing out stats from last night. You know what I didn't see? A dumbass pass interference call. That part was a major relief. At the end of the day the fact is Kendrick was benched rendering your argument of him being an ascending starter moot.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I'm not missing any point. You're trying to justify Kendrick being a starter by pointing out stats from last night. You know what I didn't see? A dumbass pass interference call. That part was a major relief.
I just made it clear that was not the point. Woooosh, that's it going over your head.

Carr was able to do just about whatever he wanted last night, partly because of poor CB play, partly by design.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I just made it clear that was not the point. Woooosh, that's it going over your head.

Carr was able to do just about whatever he wanted last night, partly because of poor CB play, partly be design.
Trust me anyone can see why your arguing it. Denying it doesn't change it. We all get shit wrong from time to time. Maybe you should just learn to let it go.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Carr was able to do just about whatever he wanted last night, partly because of poor CB play, partly by design.
I dunno about Carr doing whatever he wanted. It was 30-7 in the fourth quarter lol

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
You're missing the point - which is the secondary did no better with Kendrick benched. Changing him out did nothing to improve the end result. All of the CB's on this team are mediocre at this point, with the exception of Lake in the box, who is playing fabulous. The issues go far further into the back end.
Actually they did improve, they didn’t hand out bonehead penalties. The other dbs aren't dumb enough to be facemasking wrs on an 4th and goal. Also, that second td bomb was a clear opi.

TexasRam

Legend
Carr threw for 300 plus, 3 yds and a 106 rate against the updated secondary.
Saints had 7 points into the 4th quarter. Carr’s junk time numbers came against a prevent defense conceding yards and completions. Not to mention the OPI not called against Durant.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I dunno about Carr doing whatever he wanted. It was 30-7 in the fourth quarter lol
They were in our territory frequently. A couple timely sacks ended drives on 4th down.

No way to spin it, but it was not a good performance by the secondary.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We need KT to continue his stellar play and turn back the rookie wall effect. BY has slowed as most of us have noticed over the past 4 or so weeks somehow coinciding with our best play as a team. Has he hit the wall, well maybe but lets hope he gets a second wind. BY is still doing well in spots but certainly seems to be feeling the affects of a long NFL season and he could be a little nicked too either way love those two they have both been a big part of the quicker than expected defensive resurgence.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
We need KT to continue his stellar play and turn back the rookie wall effect. BY has slowed as most of us have noticed over the past 4 or so weeks somehow coinciding with our best play as a team. Has he hit the wall, well maybe but lets hope he gets a second wind. BY is still doing well in spots but certainly seems to be feeling the affects of a long NFL season and he could be a little nicked too either way love those two they have both been a big part of the quicker than expected defensive resurgence.

Young looks tired, and it's to be expected. Turner was one of the steals of the draft, no doubt.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Carr threw for 300 plus, 3 yds and a 106 rate against the updated secondary.
Past 2 games have had similar 4th quarter results allowing big comebacks and slowing a bit on Offense. Stafford made reference to it in his post game, something about playing to good in all 3 phase need to put teams away and not let it be close at the end.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They were in our territory frequently. A couple timely sacks ended drives on 4th down.

No way to spin it, but it was not a good performance by the secondary.

Durant is an upgrade over Kendrick. Durant had as many picks in that Broncos game last year as Kendrick has had his entire career, and the only reason he doesn't have twice as many is because the guy he was on for the touchdown committed a blatant OPI to get it.

Spin that.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
We need KT to continue his stellar play and turn back the rookie wall effect. BY has slowed as most of us have noticed over the past 4 or so weeks somehow coinciding with our best play as a team. Has he hit the wall, well maybe but lets hope he gets a second wind.
I wouldn't say slowed. He hustles his butt off every snap .. was just watching that. But I wonder if there is mental fatigue. I think rookies -- once an NFL tackle has film on him they have answers. And he's still raw and does not have countermoves.

He does what he does---it worked
They get film and know how to take away what he does
He now has to come up with counter moves --- and that takes time. He's raw and got away with that because of his tremendous speed.

So I agree he's hit a wall, but I don't think he looks slower, just not ale to beat tackles like he did

InfiniteRam

Rookie
Durant is an upgrade over Kendrick. Durant had as many picks in that Broncos game last year as Kendrick has had his entire career, and the only reason he doesn't have twice as many is because the guy he was on for the touchdown committed a blatant OPI to get it.

Spin that.

Durant is giving up over 10.0 yards/target and nearly 17 yards per completion in 2023.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So I agree he's hit a wall, but I don't think he looks slower, just not ale to beat tackles like he did
Agree! I wasn't referring to his speed but instead his production has slowed. That attempted rundown of Howell, I think it was, showed speed is still there on a play by play basis.